Forums

Topic: The year the world wanted competitive Smash to die. APEX 2015 HYPE THREAD!!!

Posts 1 to 4 of 4

Retro_on_theGo

If you're not aware Apex is pretty much the biggest Super Smash Bros. tournament of the year and features every game! And oooooh boy does every single force of nature have it out for the tournament this year.

Everything started getting sour with, ironically, the Nitnendo Sponsorship. Because of it the TO, Alex Strife, got very nervous because of the legal grey area and decided to not allow Project M at Apex this year. This upset many people as it took a very big game in the competitive Smash scene out of the biggest stage of the year, making a lot of people's hard hours of practice effectively wasted if they were planning for Apex.

Things got worse with Alex Strife as the man was accused (and proven) of sexual harassment of underage girls. Many people, not only victims but also friends of Strife, came out with more and more evidence of this and he was forced to step down as TO of Apex. A man who was once very important in the community ended up having a disturbing secret. Thankfully he is now gone and hopefully he can get help.

When things seemed clear a parking garage collapsed that was a part of the venue. Well that was an inconvenience for attendee's. After everything it couldn't get any worse, right? Not if mother nature had anything to do with it.

If you kept up with the news you probably heard about the great blizzard that hit some states earlier this week. This lead to many flights of competitors being canceled and an overall inconvenience for people trying to get to the venue. But the Apex staff promised they were preparing for the worst and the show would go on. BUT HEY NOTHING EVER GOES ACCORDING TO PLAN!

On the day the event was supposed to start, today, a sprinkler went off, alerting the fire department and halting the tournament for the time being. The fire marshall came and expected the hotel, condemning it. There was no way the hotel was fit to host this tournament. It was in awful shape, a fire hazard, and with as many people as was there it could collapse on them. God does not want Apex 2015 to happen.

But when all seemed lost, during the darkest hour, the community pulled together. They couldn't just cancel it. It's the biggest tournament of the year, we got people from all over the world coming over! MLG reached out to TO's to see how they can help in any way. They helped book a new venue an hour away. Twitch reached out and got buses to transport competitors to the new venue. RedbullEsports provided pick up trucks to transport equipment. On top of all the members of the community coming together to help give people rides and transport equipment. The show must go on, boys. Smash Bros has always been grassroots and if this whole incident does not show how independent, how passionate this scene is, then nothing does. So much for Nintendo's sponsorship.

Tournament will start tomorrow after everything is sorted out. So enough doom and gloom GET READY FOR THE BEST SMASH TOURNAMENT YOU'RE EVER GOING TO SEE! Who are you rooting for? Who do you think will be a surprise? First time ever looking into competitive smash? You couldn't have picked a better time. Lets go!

unrandomsam

Or maybe Alex Strife was innocent and this is just karma.

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

TeeJay

Yikes, that's pretty rough.

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

Retro_on_theGo

unrandomsam wrote:

Or maybe Alex Strife was innocent and this is just karma.

He has been doing that for five years and there is documented evidence of what he was accused of. He's also an awful TO transporting foreign players in the back of movement trucks filled with monitors and CRT's. Also documented evidence for this.

I'd prefer this not to derail the thread. If you don't believe it, do research. Let's just focus on Smash now and how exiting this tournament could be.

I hope Hungrybox wins it. Also I'm probably the only person that seriously think Chillin can beat Leffen lol.

Edited on by Retro_on_theGo

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.