Forums

Topic: The 'Soccer' World Cup...

Posts 101 to 120 of 123

Trin

__Stevie wrote:

Football is documented in historical texts as originating in England, you cannot argue with fact.

It seems you can, Stevie... not very well, but you can.

I think getting back on topic would be a good thing, btw.

Trin

Adam

If you think getting back on topic is a good thing, then you wouldn't still be taking shots at me. Especially when all I ever cared about was my country being called ignorant. Let it rest.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Trin

Ok Clint Eastwood, you have jumped to the defence of your country.

I apologise for calling Americans ignorant, and I'm sure anyone reading your comments over the last few pages will agree that you are leading by example in disproving my obviously incorrect statements.

Trin

Machu

@Adam: That is worse than I thought. You'd think the American media would take pride in having US players playing abroad, and perhaps use it as a hook to get people watching the sport more. You seem to know more about 'soccer' than your average American, but I probably know more about the US national side than you do, and that's a real shame. I'm not having a go or singling America out, it's just as an englishmen, who couldn't hide from football if he tried, it seems so very alien.

Again, I hope the US media does the tournament proud, but, I gather it's available through cable only? In England, there are laws in place that ensure certain sporting events stay on terrestrial television, so everyone has access to it. The World Cup being at the top of the list.

Rawr!

Adam

Yea, tell me about it, Machu.

Trin wrote:

Ok Clint Eastwood, you have jumped to the defence of your country.

I apologise for calling Americans ignorant, and I'm sure anyone reading your comments over the last few pages will agree that you are leading by example in disproving my obviously incorrect statements.

Very mature. And you are leading by example in getting the thread back on topic. I'm sure anyone reading your past few comments making bad jokes at me and refusing to give a real apology and move on like an adult will realize the same.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

Trin

Please now, you are embarrassing yourself.

I'm sorry, I apologise.

Stop.

Edited on by Trin

Trin

Adam

Not sure what warranted the "embarrassing" joke, but if that's the best you can offer, thanks. That's all I wanted two pages ago.

Back to Machu, I skipped your last paragraph, yea, the World Cup will be on regular TV, at least when the US is playing. I think we generally get a few other matches and of course the last couple rounds, too. I don't know if we get the entire tournament though.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

Machu

Ah sweet, that's good to hear, at least you get the important matches. We get the whole thing here, and I usually attempt to watch EVERY match.

@Trin: To answer your previous question, I'm a red devil, and proud. Untitled What about you?

Oh, and Stevie, I thought the vid was cool, having done both since being a lad, I know balancing a size 5 football is a lot harder than doing so with a beanbag thingy.

Rawr!

Adam

I'd love to watch the whole thing but school or work always ends up getting in the way. Stupid time zones. And the one time we hosted it, I was too young to really care and take advantage of local times, though I did watch the final match. A lot of people were pretty excited about it, now that I think back on it, though maybe it was just for the final that they started to care, I don't know.

And yea, I should have clarified my comment earlier. I didn't mean the balancing on your back thing but the juggling tricks, though could be wrong about that, too. It's just not quite as interesting to watch, for whatever reason, not that I know which is harder. Guessed I'm predisposed to beanbag thingies.

Come on, friends,

Trin

@Trin: To answer your previous question, I'm a red devil, and proud.

Man U, huh... what a surprise.

Not many Man U fans about, is there?

Nothing to do with them winning everything for the last 10 years though...

Edited on by Trin

Trin

Slapshot

JayArr wrote:

Me and my girls here will be cheering for England. I brought one for you too Machu.

Untitled

Dude thats my wife..... Machu cant have her!
OK your can borrow her for ONE GAME ONLY

Ill be here watching the heck out of the World Cup, one of the few on the South in the States to do so, Im pretty used to it as they are few hockey fan here as well. I have to go for USA of course but Ill always secretly be goin for Brazil, as they are the team that got me into soccer when I was younger and started playin on teams. I dont know, some guy named Pele, sure noboday has heard of him

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

My Nintendo: Slapshot82 | Nintendo Network ID: Slapshot82 | Twitter:

Stevie

I was led to believe that there has been a push to make Soccer more popular in America, I saw footage from the MLS final and there appeared to be a large and enthusiastic crowd. I think Machu hit the nail on the head on the issue of Soccer not being popular in the USA, it isn't such a big deal really as in reality it is just a sport, part of the problem is non Americans not being able to comprehend why Football is not popular in America and this is because it is so big in their own country and is a big part of life for a lot of people.

I will contradict my statement about it being "Just a sport" though as it actually affects culture in a lot of countries. When Germany hosted the World Cup in 2006 it was credited with finally uniting the country for the first time since its divide, and was also one of the first times since the war that German fans took pride in waving their national flag as it had been frowned upon upto this point. They are hoping that South Africa will reap the same benefits and the country will be united in its support and patriotism.

Edit: Clint Dempsey has missed quite a few shots He is usually good for finding the back of the net, maybe in the second half.

Edited on by Stevie

Adam

It's okay Machu. Everyone's had her. We just don't tell Slappy.

Come on, friends,

Machu

Trin wrote:

Man U, huh... what a surprise.

Not many Man U fans about, is there?

Nothing to do with them winning everything for the last 10 years though...

No actually, my first visit to Old Trafford was 25 years ago, when we were 5h1t. It's in my blood, it's in my families blood. Oh, and this guy is my great great great great uncle.

Don't worry, I hate the glory supporters just as much as you, they have destroyed the atmosphere at Old Trafford. And given proper reds a bad rep.

EDIT: @Stevie: I know, he should have had a few assists by now too. Grrr. Come on Dempsey, Come on Fulham.

EDIT EDIT: Untitled I can't wait for the world cup, woooh!

Edited on by Machu

Rawr!

Trin

Fair enough, it's just when someone says they are a Man U fan, you have to think they are a glory hunter.

I'm an Everton fan, btw, so the less said the better...

Must go, we are playing on Sky Sports at the mo.

Trin

Machu

I'm watching too dude, I like Everton lots, the enemy of our enemy and all that.

Come on Cahill (nothing to do with Fantasy Football, honest).

Rawr!

Stevie

Come on Defoe, another 5 please (Sorry Trin, I hope one of your players that non of my Fantasy Football playing pals has scores 6)

Trin

Well, we now have so many injured players we are reduced to 18-19 year old kids playing in key positions. I've never known an injury situation like it.

I'd bite your hand off for a draw in this game...

Trin

Machu

Yobo out already, not good dude. And Spurs are looking hot. A draw would be good, yes.

@Stevie&Trin: This is the world cup thread, all domestic matters should be discussed in here. bump me dudes :/

Rawr!

Trin

Actually this is a thread about American interest in the World Cup, it's far too early for a World Cup discussion thread.

I'm happy to move to another if someone wants to pimp it back to the top of the front page.

Trin

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.