General Discussion Forum

Topic: The NintendoLife VGM Tournament: It Lives Again

Showing 2,881 to 2,900 of 3,158

AuthorMessage

Maelstrom

2,881. Posted:

1) Sonic Unleashed - Perfect Dark Gaia — I don't know why, but that viewtiful joe one never clicked for me
2)Bayonetta - The Greatest Jubilee — I just really don't like that Donkey Kong one.
3)Dust An Elysian Tail - Let's End This — This just sounds so much more like a boss theme
4)Bravely Default - Serpent Eating the Ground — One of the best boss themes ever. It's got it's own theme, and then it remixes other songs from the game. And the live recording helps too. Nothing can beat this one.

My video game arrangements (sheet music for piano)
Most Recently Arranged: Running / Countdown (Smash 3DS), Snowy Mt. Valek (Night),Reviewing the Scene of the Crime (Umineko),
In progress: Not sure yet

Nintendo Network ID: aginor

AuthorMessage

Captain_Toad

2,882. Posted:

Sonic unleashed Dark Gaia Perfect.: (lovely sigh) This is where I say that True Heroes has met his match. In comparison to Perfect dark gaia. It has a better buildup, longer and goes all over the place with the emotions (a bit better) and instruments. Geez were getting close to the end aren't we guys?

Edited on by Captain_Toad

Was Mariobro4. No, I'm not taking off my backpack.....it's important.
Toadloggery and a Youtube Channel
Retro Clue!
Games are games ppl. Enjoy 'em.
I gave in to darkness to have this bio.
Net neutrality is dead. Pls use revive.
Currently Nominating Best Spooky VGMs and Best RPG Battle Music

3DS Friend Code: 3566-2311-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: Mariobro4

AuthorMessage

CapnPancakes

2,883. Posted:

I feel the need to apologize to everyone for my absence these past two weeks. During my time away, I realized that I have a lot of things going on in my life at the moment and I really haven't been keeping up with this thread very well. I don't feel like that's fair to you all and because of that I'm going to have to step down from running the thread for a little while. I thank @Geonjaha and @Captain_Toad for keeping both threads alive while I was away. If someone would like to take charge of updating the brackets and posting new rounds for about a month, feel free to do so. I'll try to check in periodically and if you want to contact me, you can send me a message on my Backloggery. So for now it's farewell, but I hope to be back soon.

Runs the NintendoLife Best VGM Tourney Come Vote!
The Pancakeloggery
Keep it frosty people.
My Super Mario Galaxy Bio courtesy of Dark-Luigi.

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

AuthorMessage

Geonjaha

2,884. Posted:

CapnPancakes wrote:

I feel the need to apologize to everyone for my absence these past two weeks. During my time away, I realized that I have a lot of things going on in my life at the moment and I really haven't been keeping up with this thread very well. I don't feel like that's fair to you all and because of that I'm going to have to step down from running the thread for a little while. I thank @Geonjaha and @Captain_Toad for keeping both threads alive while I was away. If someone would like to take charge of updating the brackets and posting new rounds for about a month, feel free to do so. I'll try to check in periodically and if you want to contact me, you can send me a message on my Backloggery. So for now it's farewell, but I hope to be back soon.

Hey, no problem man. You keeping this thread going is a courtesy on your part, take whatever time off you need; this thing has been running for a long time.

I make Pixel Art on occasion.

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

AuthorMessage

Captain_Toad

2,885. Posted:

Your Contest threads is TOAD-aly in capable hands!

Retro Clue!

AuthorMessage

FishieFish

2,886. Posted:

Geonjaha wrote:

FishieFish wrote:

Wait, how do you vote again?

Each batch of voting we do, you vote for one of the two options in four different matchups.
Eg. for 1) You vote for Viewtiful Joe, or Sonic Unleashed. Rinse and repeat for the other three.
The link to the bracket at the top of my post should give you a better idea of how it works.

Do you just vote on this thread?

"No one said you could touch."

AuthorMessage

Geonjaha

2,887. Posted:

FishieFish wrote:

Geonjaha wrote:

FishieFish wrote:

Wait, how do you vote again?

Each batch of voting we do, you vote for one of the two options in four different matchups.
Eg. for 1) You vote for Viewtiful Joe, or Sonic Unleashed. Rinse and repeat for the other three.
The link to the bracket at the top of my post should give you a better idea of how it works.

Do you just vote on this thread?

Yup. Take a look back at previous rounds if you need to, to see how people vote.
My vote on this round for reference:

1) Sonic Unleashed - Perfect Dark Gaia
2) Bayonetta - The Greatest Jubilee
3) Dust An Elysian Tail - Let's End This
4) Bravely Default - Serpent Eating the Ground

Edited on by Geonjaha

AuthorMessage

UGXwolf

2,888. Posted:

1) Viewtiful Joe 2 - True Heroes — Not letting this one go without a fight. These are both great themes, so I won't really be too mad with the outcome, either way, but I really do prefer the feel of this song. While "Perfect Dark Gaia's" instrumentation is far superior, the feel and composition don't really appeal to me as much. Say what you will. This is definitely a personal preference on this match up.

2) Bayonetta - The Greatest Jubilee — This vote makes me legitimately sad. I prefer the feel of "Showdown at the Tower" without a doubt, but "The Greatest Jubilee" certainly has a great feel to it, too, and actually has great instrumentation to go along with the amazing composition and... well... EVERYTHING. The sad truth for me is that "Showdown at the Tower" has overstayed its welcome. For what it is, it did an amazing job, and that in and of itself is commendable, but it just can't even compare to "The Greatest Jubilee" on this one... One more time for old time's sake: You will be missed~

3) Dust: An Elysian Tail - Let's End This — See, normally, I've been rather lax about "Rising Sun" continuing. It's a good song, even if the feel is way off and the stuff it's knocked out of contention might not have even made it this far, but this time I can't let it slide. "Let's End This" is a very strong contender for this tournament and truly deserves a spot in the top 8... What I don't think people get is that a lot of my judgements are based on the /feel/ of the song. Composition and Instrumentation are nice, but if it lacks the feel, it may as well be anywhere else in the game. There's a difference between a triumphant climax theme and a resolution theme. "Rising Sun" is undoubtedly a resolution theme, and no amount of context will change that. In fact, that's exactly what it is in context of the game: a resolution. It doesn't sound like you're fighting for everything, it sounds like you've already won. And that is why I've been voting against this song all along. To anyone that hasn't played Okami it just simply doesn't sound like a final boss theme.

4) NO VOTE — I still haven't beaten Bravely Default and still don't wanna ruin it for myself. Maybe next round. (Probably not.)

I COME UPON THEE WITH RIGHTEOUS FURY FROM THAT OF THE SMASH FANDOM! ILLOGICAL STATEMENTS SHALT BE MET WITH ALL OF MINE RAGE... until I do something else. No sense in being grumpy.

AuthorMessage

Geonjaha

2,889. Posted:

UGXwolf wrote:

See, normally, I've been rather lax about "Rising Sun" continuing.

Could've fooled me - you've voted against it in every round. :P

AuthorMessage

8BitSamurai

2,890. Posted:

1) Sonic Unleashed - Perfect Dark Gaia
2) Donkey Kong '94 - Showdown at the Tower
3) Okami - Rising Sun
4) Sonic Adventure 2 - Live and Learn

Currently retired indefinitely
Official "rare download" Assistant
Best YT show here!
Beat: Final Fight, Spec Ops TL, King of Dragons
Favorite games: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, Symphony of the Night, Dragon Quest VIII, Tales of the Abyss

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai | Twitter: PrinnySamurai

AuthorMessage

UGXwolf

2,891. Posted:

Geonjaha wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

See, normally, I've been rather lax about "Rising Sun" continuing.

Could've fooled me - you've voted against it in every round. :P

Voting against it doesn't mean I really care. I voted for the other songs because they were good songs and actually felt like boss themes. Not because they were up against Rising Sun. At this point, though, I'm pretty active in dragging this one down. It simply is not a good final boss theme. It's a good ending theme. Suited for a cutscene or something where the player has done their job. It's already way past triumph into resolution territory. Like I said, if I didn't know better or if I hadn't played Okami, I'd honestly question whether or not this was a boss theme at all.

I COME UPON THEE WITH RIGHTEOUS FURY FROM THAT OF THE SMASH FANDOM! ILLOGICAL STATEMENTS SHALT BE MET WITH ALL OF MINE RAGE... until I do something else. No sense in being grumpy.

AuthorMessage

Maelstrom

2,892. Posted:

Any final votes?

Most Recently Arranged: Running / Countdown (Smash 3DS), Snowy Mt. Valek (Night),Reviewing the Scene of the Crime (Umineko),

AuthorMessage

Captain_Toad

2,893. Posted:

Lets End This! Dust.
Sonic adventure 2 live and learn. Without spoiling too much for UGX's sake. this came close.

Edited on by Captain_Toad

Retro Clue!

AuthorMessage

Geonjaha

2,894. Posted:

Link to the current bracket

1) Sonic Unleashed - Perfect Dark Gaia wins 4-1
2) Bayonetta - The Greatest Jubilee wins 3-1
3) Dust An Elysian Tail - Let's End This wins 4-1
4) Bravely Default - Serpent Eating the Ground wins 2-2

Round 3 - Batch 2/2

Music Playlist For all of the 8 tracks in one location.

1) Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Final Destination vs. Radiant Historia - An Earnest Desire for Grey

2) Persona 3 - The Battle for Everyone's Souls vs. Cave Story - Last Battle

3) Fire Emblem: Awakening - Id (Purpose) vs. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - It Has to Be This Way

4) Mario & Luigi: Dream Team - Adventure's End vs. Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 - Solaris (Phase 2)

Edited on by Geonjaha

AuthorMessage

8BitSamurai

2,895. Posted:

1) Radiant Historia - An Earnest Desire for Grey
2) Persona 3 - The Battle for Everyone's Souls
3) Metal Gear Solid Rising: Revengance - It Has to Be This Way
4) Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 - Solaris (Phase 2)

Currently retired indefinitely
Official "rare download" Assistant
Best YT show here!
Beat: Final Fight, Spec Ops TL, King of Dragons
Favorite games: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, Symphony of the Night, Dragon Quest VIII, Tales of the Abyss

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai | Twitter: PrinnySamurai

AuthorMessage

Maelstrom

2,896. Posted:

1) Radiant Historia - An Earnest Desire for Grey — As much as I love Final Destination, nothing can beat Yōko Shimomura at her best.

2)Cave Story - Last Battle — It just sounds more final bossy. :P And Persona sounds like an edgy Shimomura rip-off

3) Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - It Has to Be This Way — As much as I love both songs, I just love the style and subtlety of the lyrics in this song. It's what those sonic songs tried to do and failed.

4) Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 - Solaris (Phase 2) — Better buildup and phrasing

And, @Geoninjaha , did you notice revengeance is spelled wrong, and the song is not called "It has to be this ways"

AuthorMessage

Squid

2,897. Posted:

8BitSamurai wrote:

3) Metal Gear Solid Rising: Revengance - It Has to Be This Way
4) Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 - Solaris (Phase 2)

A Miiverse admin's first day on the job.
Long live the King of Pop!
My Squidloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6168-7289 | Nintendo Network ID: captainsquid

AuthorMessage

Geonjaha

2,898. Posted:

@Maelstrom - Corrected. I just copy and paste the names from previous rounds most of the time to prevent having to write them all out, so I suppose some mistakes are inevitable.

1) Radiant Historia - An Earnest Desire for Grey ~ Not much contest here.
2) Persona 3 - The Battle for Everyone's Souls ~ Last Battle is still good, but Cave Story has better in its soundtrack. Also, not the Cave Story+ Remastered soundtrack :(.
3) Fire Emblem: Awakening - Id (Purpose) ~ I really enjoy It Has To Be This Way, but too often it just sounds like noise. There is too much going on most of the time, and it ends up ruining it a little. If the song was clearer I'd probably be voting for it.
4) Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 - Solaris (Phase 2) ~ Because comparatively, the other is a tad boring and generic.

Edited on by Geonjaha

AuthorMessage

ClockworkMario

2,899. Posted:

Back from a holiday! Glad to see you guys haven't done anything crazy while I was gone.
3) Fire Emblem: Id (purpose) – Anything can change! Time to tip the scales!
4) Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 - Solaris (Phase 2) – Now this is some all-around great music. It's what they can do when they don't force cheesy lyrics in there.

Currently on the plate:
Mount and Blade: Warband – Napoleonic Wars
Chivalry
Super Mario 3D World – Finishing the last few levels.
Mario Kart 8

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1586-9129 | Nintendo Network ID: Soon

AuthorMessage

UGXwolf

2,900. Posted:

3) Metal Gear Rising Revengence - It Has To Be This Way — Of very little am I as sure as this. This song is worthy to win this tournament. Id just doesn't even come close. For much of the same reason I didn't vote Okami, I won't vote Fire Emblem, but it goes double here because this song I full well expect to see in the finals.