General Discussion Forum

Topic: The NintendoLife VGM Tournament: It Lives Again

Showing 2,821 to 2,840 of 3,158

AuthorMessage

UGXwolf

2,821. Posted:

And now for the tallies. A bit earlier, this time, so someone in the near future can actually see them and find out if they need to jump to the rescue! (Or, you know, they should probably just vote, anyways)

1) 5-4 (In favor of Id (Purpose))
2) 6-3 (In favor of Lord of the Castle)
3) 8-1 (In favor of Vaati's Wrath)
4) 10-0 {In favor of It Has to Be This Way)

Updated down to two posts below me~

Holy crap, Metal Gear Revengeance is blazing! If enough people vote otherwise, though, any of these can change! Don't let your favorite song lose just because you and eight other people didn't vote!

Edited on by UGXwolf

I COME UPON THEE WITH RIGHTEOUS FURY FROM THAT OF THE SMASH FANDOM! ILLOGICAL STATEMENTS SHALT BE MET WITH ALL OF MINE RAGE... until I do something else. No sense in being grumpy.

AuthorMessage

Geonjaha

2,822. Posted:

1) Fire Emblem: Awakening - Id (Purpose) ~ Both were really good, but I think considering the whole piece, I prefer this one.
2) Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories - Lord of the Castle
3) The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap - Vaati's Wrath ~ I love MGS3:SE, but its tune sounds nothing like what should be playing on any final boss.
4) Metal Gear Rising: Revengance - It Has to Be This Way

Edited on by Geonjaha

I make Pixel Art on occasion.

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

AuthorMessage

Spectator

2,823. Posted:

1. Grandia II - Fight (Ver.4) I would have picked this song if it were available. This is a great song.
2. Final Fantasy VII - Birth of a God
3. The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap - Vaati's Wrath
4. Metal Gear Rising: Revengance - It Has to Be This Way (The more I hear this song the better it gets. This song will be hard to beat.

Edited on by Spectator

Spectator

AuthorMessage

UGXwolf

2,824. Posted:

Bump for one last chance at glory! FE:A vs Grandia II are at 5-4 and one vote can still change the results! This round will likely be ending soon, so if you have yet to vote, please do!

I COME UPON THEE WITH RIGHTEOUS FURY FROM THAT OF THE SMASH FANDOM! ILLOGICAL STATEMENTS SHALT BE MET WITH ALL OF MINE RAGE... until I do something else. No sense in being grumpy.

AuthorMessage

CapnPancakes

2,825. Posted:

Fire Emblem: Awakening wins 5-4
Kingdom Hearts RE: Chain of Memories wins 6-3
The Minish Cap wins 8-1
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance wins 10-0

Now that i'm finally back from vacation we can continue with the tournament.
Here is a link to the current bracket
Here is a link to the Best Water Theme Tournament

1) Super Mario 3D World - Great Tower Showdown 2 vs. Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War - Zero

2) Spongebob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom - Chum Bucket vs. Mario & Luigi: Dream Team - Adventure's End

3) Super Mario 64 - Ultimate Koopa vs. Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 - Solaris (Phase 2)

4) Kirby's Return to Dreamland - C-R-O-W-N-E-D vs. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Final Battle Against G...

Runs the NintendoLife Best VGM Tourney Come Vote!
The Pancakeloggery
Keep it frosty people.
My Super Mario Galaxy Bio courtesy of Dark-Luigi.

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

AuthorMessage

Maelstrom

2,826. Posted:

1) Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War - Zero — What an incredible and varied piece.

2) Mario & Luigi: Dream Team - Adventure's End — Both are OK peices, but I like this one's style better

3) Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 - Solaris (Phase 2) — I never thought I'd ever vote on anything from sonic '06, but. quite frankly, this is a much better song

4) Kirby's Return to Dreamland - C-R-O-W-N-E-D — While Ocarina had a better boss, the theme is downright boring. This one is especially great at .41-1.05 where it remixes the main theme of the game

edit: so far, my top two picks for the entire tournament are Serpent Eating the Ground (BD) and It Has to be This Way (MGR)

Edited on by Maelstrom

My video game arrangements (sheet music for piano)
Most Recently Arranged: Running / Countdown (Smash 3DS), Snowy Mt. Valek (Night),Reviewing the Scene of the Crime (Umineko),
In progress: Not sure yet

Nintendo Network ID: aginor

AuthorMessage

8BitSamurai

2,827. Posted:

Wow, that MGS Rising vote sure got lopsided. Great tune!

1) Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War - Zero
2) Mario & Luigi: Dream Team - Adventure's End
3) Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 - Solaris (Phase 2)
4) Kirby's Return to Dreamland - C-R-O-W-N-E-D

Currently retired indefinitely
Official "rare download" Assistant
Best YT show here!
Beat: Final Fight, Spec Ops TL, King of Dragons
Favorite games: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, Symphony of the Night, Dragon Quest VIII, Tales of the Abyss

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai | Twitter: PrinnySamurai

AuthorMessage

Spectator

2,828. Posted:

Spectator

AuthorMessage

UGXwolf

2,829. Posted:

1) Ace Combat: Zero: The Belkan War - Zero — This song excels in so many ways, it almost wouldn't be fair to try to describe them all, as that'd be a disservice to anything and everything I fail to mention. Let's just say there's very little I dislike about this song and leave it by pointing out that the feel isn't real "final boss" for me, but then, neither is SM3DW's final boss theme. Heck, that one doesn't even feel like a boss theme until late in the song, around the time you're about to finish the level, anyways.

2) SpongeBob SquarePants: The Battle for Bikini Bottom - Chum Bucket — Some incredible musical elements at play in both of these songs. It's really hard to choose. I eventually when with this one because of the feel of the music, but honestly, it could go either way without being a loss in any sense of the word.

3) Sonic the Hedgehog (Sonic '06) - Solaris (Phase 2) — Oh, that's just not fair! I really wanted Ultimate Koopa to do well, but it got put up against "His World, of all songs, and EVERYONE knows that the worse the Sonic game is, the better the music tends to be. Sonic being a series known for pretty good music, this song is practically ensured a spot late in the tournament, and I think it really deserves it.

4) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - The Final Battle With Ganon — This theme is oppressive. I mean... really oppressive. I can't hear this theme without immediately wanting to reach for something for my defense. The foreboding presence of those deep chords and that driving snare with the occasional cymbal clash were all they needed to set up a truly immersive and deep piece that actually manages to put me on edge every time. The song may be kinda weak, but as a final boss theme, even out of context, it's absolutely amazing.

To C-R-O-W-N-E-D's credit, it is a very good theme, too and suits Kirby to a T, but in any other franchise, it would be horribly out of place. It's a great example of a song that relies on its IP to make it as great as it is. However, there were certain points that just didn't seem to match the theme at all. I'd be ashamed of myself if I voted anything BUT OoT on this one (and just between you and me, I personally despise OoT for its sheer over-hypedness, but the game has some top level music, and this is a shining example of it.

AuthorMessage

CapnPancakes

2,830. Posted:

1. Super Mario 3D World - Great Tower Showdown 2
2. Mario & Luigi: Dream Team - Adventure's End
3. Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 - Solaris (Phase 2)
4. Kirby's Return to Dreamland - C-R-O-W-N-E-D

The Pancakeloggery
Keep it frosty people.

AuthorMessage

Link-Hero

2,831. Posted:

Link-Hero

Nintendo Network ID: LinkHero25

AuthorMessage

ClockworkMario

2,832. Posted:

4) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Final Battle

Currently on the plate:
Mount and Blade: Warband – Napoleonic Wars
Chivalry
Super Mario 3D World – Finishing the last few levels.
Mario Kart 8

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1586-9129 | Nintendo Network ID: Soon

AuthorMessage

Squid

2,833. Posted:

1. Ace Combat: The Belkan War - Zero
2. Mario & Luigi: Dream Team - Adventure's End
3. Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) - Solaris Phase 2
4. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Final Battle Against Ganon

A Miiverse admin's first day on the job.
Long live the King of Pop!
My Squidloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6168-7289 | Nintendo Network ID: captainsquid

AuthorMessage

UGXwolf

2,834. Posted:

Both this and the elimination round of the Water Theme bracket are so lopsided. XD One match-up that's even close between the eight present.

For reference, the score is currently:

7-1 (in favor of Zero)
7-1 (in favor of Adventure's End)
8-0 (in favor of His World)
5-3 (in favor of C-R-O-W-N-E-D)

Take that how you will. For the sake of reference, the elimination round for water theme was full of 5-1s and one 6-0 last time I checked.

AuthorMessage

CapnPancakes

2,835. Posted:

Ace Combat wins 7-1
Dream Team wins 7-1
Sonic '06 wins 8-0
Kirby's Return to Dreamland wins 5-3

And thus begins the second round of the tournament.
Here is a link to the current bracket
Here is a link to the Best Water Theme Tournament

1) Viewtiful Joe 2 - True Heroes vs. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time - Final Battle

2) Sonny 2 - Final Boss vs. Sonic Unleashed - Perfect Dark Gaia

3) Bayonetta - The Greatest Jubilee vs. Super Meat Boy - Carmeaty Burana

4) Donkey Kong '94 - Showdown at the Tower vs. Liberation Maiden - Let's Continue the Story

The Pancakeloggery
Keep it frosty people.

AuthorMessage

Link-Hero

2,836. Posted:

1) Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time - Final Battle
2) Sonny 2 - Final Boss
3) Bayonetta - The Greatest Jubilee
4) Liberation Maiden - Let's Continue the Story

Link-Hero

Nintendo Network ID: LinkHero25

AuthorMessage

8BitSamurai

2,837. Posted:

1) Viewtiful Joe 2 - True Heroes
2) Sonic Unleashed - Perfect Dark Gaia
4) Donkey Kong '94 - Shodown at the Tower

Currently retired indefinitely
Official "rare download" Assistant
Best YT show here!
Beat: Final Fight, Spec Ops TL, King of Dragons
Favorite games: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, Symphony of the Night, Dragon Quest VIII, Tales of the Abyss

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai | Twitter: PrinnySamurai

AuthorMessage

ClockworkMario

2,838. Posted:

1) Viewtiful Joe 2 - True Heroes
2) Sonny 2 - Final Boss – I knew this was going to be a tough call right from the get-go. Dark Gaia is an incredible and varied piece, but Sonny just keeps you in its grasp the whole time, pumping you full of energy.
3) Super Meat Boy - Carmeaty Burana
4) Donkey Kong '94 - Showdown at the Tower – Not a fan of either, but my hatred of lyrics in VGM rears its head once more. Liberation Maiden isn't quite as terrible as the Sonic-songs – perhaps 'cause I've no idea what's being said – it's still enough to drop it behind Donkey Kong in my books.

Currently on the plate:
Mount and Blade: Warband – Napoleonic Wars
Chivalry
Super Mario 3D World – Finishing the last few levels.
Mario Kart 8

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1586-9129 | Nintendo Network ID: Soon

AuthorMessage

Maelstrom

2,839. Posted:

1) Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time - Final Battle — Really nails the epic type of music without being high-energy.
2) Sonic Unleashed - Perfect Dark Gaia — It really is true. The worse the critical reception of a sonic game, the better it's soundtrack.
4) Liberation Maiden - Let's Continue the Story — This one is so weird, I love it.

edit: didn't try it, but now 3 out of 4 songs are tied.

Edited on by Maelstrom

My video game arrangements (sheet music for piano)
Most Recently Arranged: Running / Countdown (Smash 3DS), Snowy Mt. Valek (Night),Reviewing the Scene of the Crime (Umineko),
In progress: Not sure yet

Nintendo Network ID: aginor

AuthorMessage

CapnPancakes

2,840. Posted:

1. Viewtiful Joe 2 - True Heroes The thing that really kills the Partners in Time track for me is just how short it is.

2. Sonic Unleashed - Perfect Dark Gaia The guitar riff in Sonny 2 is fantastic, but it can't match the full orchestra in this song.

3. Bayonetta - The Greatest Jubilee This is a powerful song, perfectly suited for the final boss of the game.

4. Liberation Maiden - Let's Continue the Story Neither of these songs are fantastic, but I found the Donkey Kong theme to be rather boring.

The Pancakeloggery
Keep it frosty people.