Forums

Topic: The NintendoLife VGM Tournament: Farewell

Posts 2,621 to 2,640 of 2,988

UGXwolf

1) Ys 1+2 - Termination — Oh God, it doesn't end! Another really close match up for me. I can't tell you when one of these would work out for me in the long-run, but I do know that I prefer the more clean, genuine sound of "Termination" to the garbled, filtered metal-under-orchestral theme of "Time Eater." "Termination"'s parts work together far better than "Time Eater"'s does. This is shaping up to be my favorite tournament, so far!

2) Super Smash Bros Brawl - Master Hand — Going with the crowd again! I really like this theme, but if that wasn't enough, that percussion and the frantic piano and synth in the background really set the mood for a battle. It's a good mix between some of my favorite genres, and it really stands out against the Sonic theme it's up against.

3) Skies of Arcadia - Final Battle — Another similar grouping, but this one wasn't so tough for me. They're both epic battle themes that take a little bit to get going. Both have excellent composition, but that classic sound just doesn't do Chrono Trigger's music justice. Skies of Arcadia, on the other hand, sounds absolutely brilliant, though I do have to question the use of a modern beat next to this song. It sets up a bit of dissonance that I'm not sure works well for the song overall. Even so, easy choice for me.

4) Radiant Historia - An Earnest Desire of Grey — This one's extremely tough. They're both so epic and they both do extremely well with that theme of desperation that's so prevalent in most good final bosses. I'm definitely more fond of "The Legend's Successor," but I fear that the over-reliance on brass might actually make this theme a touch too powerful. It also sounds more than a little scripted, and I could easily see it as a resolution theme, at some points, assuming the game/feature has a bad ending. Or maybe it could be near the end of the rising action, but climax doesn't jump in my face, when I hear this one. At the same time, Radiant Historia also plays off that theme of desperation, but I could see it being a regular boss battle or a story boss, rather than a final boss. At least with Etrian Odyssey, I can't imagine it being anywhere but the end of the story. I guess it's kind of a tie, in my head, so I'll give it to the more technically appealing one, but I'll be happy either way.

So, since I didn't respond early, as I normally do, I'll go ahead and post the current scores now.

1) 8-2 (In favor of "Termination" from Ys 1 + 2)
2) 9-1 (In favor of "Master Hand" from Super Smash Bros. Brawl)
3) 6-3 (In favor of "Final Battle" from Skies of Arcadia)
4) 5-3 (In favor of "An Earnest Desire of Grey" from Radiant Historia)

Obviously, this includes my own vote. Oooh! The fourth bracket is really close!

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

8BitSamurai

1) Ys 1+2 - Termination
2) Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Master Hand
3) Chrono Trigger - Last Battle
4) Radiant Historia - An Earnest Desire of Grey

"rare download" Assistant

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai

ThePirateCaptain

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

8BitSamurai

1) Persona 3 - The Battle for Everybody's Souls
2) Iji - Tor
3) Cave Story - Final Battle
4) Final Fantasy VII - One Winged Angel

"rare download" Assistant

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai

Maelstrom

1) Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story - In the Final --While the persona one is good, I just love this song
2) Iji - Tor --- Good song. And I really don't like the Yoshi's Island one.
3) Cave Story - Final Battle --- Just beat this game. Complete awesomeness
4) Final Fantasy VII - One Winged Angel --- Normally I hate lyrics, but this song is amazing.

My video game arrangements (sheet music for piano)
Check in for new sheets every Monday. There's lots of Fire Emblem arrangements coming.

Nintendo Network ID: aginor

ClockworkMario

Edited rest of the votes in
1) Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story - In the Final – By no means an easy choice but I have to go with my own nomination.
2) Iji - Tor's theme
3) Cave Story – Rather odd, I don't usually like the music of this game, but this track somehow came on top.
4) Final Fantasy VII

Edited on by ClockworkMario

Currently on the plate:
Mount and Blade: Warband – Napoleonic Wars
Chivalry
Super Mario 3D World – Finishing the last few levels.
Mario Kart 8

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1586-9129

FriedSquid

1. Persona 3 - The Battle For Everybody's Souls
I like both, but I love this one too much to not vote for it.

2. Iji - Tor's Theme
Didn't really find either to be that enjoyable, but I guess this one isn't as bad.

3. Jamestown - Conquistador
Surprised I would go for this above Cave Story!

4. Final Fantasy VII - One-Winged Angel
Another classic!

Sav'aaq!
A Miiverse admin's first day on the job.
"Samus is under fire! She's sent an emergency directive! Join the fight!"
My Squidloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6168-7289 | Nintendo Network ID: captainsquid

Geonjaha

2) Yoshi's Island - Baby Bowser
3) Jamestown - Conquistador
4) Paper Mario - King of the Koopas

Geonjaha

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

ThePirateCaptain

1. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
2. Yoshi's Island - Baby Bowser
3. Jamestown - Conquistador
4. Paper Mario - King of the Koopas

ThePirateCaptain

UGXwolf

If you're wondering why I'm taking so long to vote, these days, it's because of how ridiculously hard some of these are to pick from! Geez!

1) Persona 3 - The Battle For Everyone's Souls — As I said, REALLY TOUGH, GUYS! Both of these songs so perfectly embody "Final Boss" and that frantic desperation (Bowser's Inside Story) or cool-headed resolve (Persona 3) needed to face such a tough opponent. The themes fit their respective franchises to a T, no less. If they weren't going against each other in round 1, I'd say they're both strong contenders for the Final round, but here we are, and here's my vote. So what made the decision? Personality. Mine, to be specific. Not to mention my style. The instrumentation and genre of "The Battle For Everyone's Souls" suits me better than "In The Final."

2) Yoshi's Island - Baby Bowser — First off, this isn't even a fair match up for me. Yoshi's Island helped shape my musical tastes, and that build up and the frantic, heavy pace are perfect for the kind of boss fight. Iji doesn't stand a chance with me, I'm afraid. Both are great songs, though. Even so, Tor's theme doesn't quite scream "final boss" to me, anyways. Baby Bowser's theme, on the other hand, I couldn't see being anywhere else.

3) Cave Story - Final Battle — Both are great themes, and while "Conquistador" is the more technically advanced and more epic piece, I feel as if it's almost scripted. It sounds like it should be part of a movie, rather than a game. In a sense, "Final Battle" puts me in the action, while "Conquistador" makes me feel distant from it.

4) NO DECISION — Again, we have the more technically impressive song versus the more traditional one. I'm not entirely sure when one to pick, here. I honestly almost feel like voting against One-Winged Angel because it's over-hyped, but that's hardly any way to go about this tournament. Nor will I vote One-Winged Angel just to prove that that's not why I'm doing it. One-Winged Angel puts me in a better state of intimidation, but King of the Koopas is far more suited to my personal tastes. IMO they're on par with each other in terms of fitting the theme, so I'm actually going to refrain from this one. I can't decide. ^^;; (And yes, I typed this out as I was deciding. That's why it's so rambling.)

And since I'm once again coming in fairly late, DEM SCORES!!!
5-5
5-4 (In favor of "Baby Bowser")
5-4 (In favor of "Final Battle")
4-4

This may be the closest vote we've seen yet. Everything's divided by one vote, at the most!

Edited on by UGXwolf

MasterWario

1) Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story - In the Final - The other one is better composition wise but this one actually feels like a final boss theme. That's kinda how I've been deciding most of these votes. And again, they're both good enough that I don't care a whole lot which one actually wins.

2) Yoshi's Island - Baby Bowser - Same as above.

3) Jamestown - Conquistador - Simply better

4) Paper Mario - King of the Koopas - Whenever I see this one I keep thinking of the PM:TYD version which is 10x better. Too bad it isn't a final boss theme; this one still gets my vote anyway.

I would have never guessed Weezing was so useful until I played a HeartGold Nuzlocke!
My YouTube Channel! Video game related, of course!
My Pushmo Levels

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0589-3371 | Nintendo Network ID: MasterWario

Spectator

2) Iji - Tor
3) Cave Story - Final Battle
4) Final Fantasy VII - One Winged Angel

Spectator

ClockworkMario

UGXwolf wrote:

You guys are gonna make me choose on the last round, aren't you? D:

Currently on the plate:
Mount and Blade: Warband – Napoleonic Wars
Chivalry
Super Mario 3D World – Finishing the last few levels.
Mario Kart 8

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1586-9129

ThePirateCaptain

@UGXWolf
Well you can make the final decision or leave it up to a coin toss when I update tonight/

ThePirateCaptain

Captain_Toad

Heh, or maybe I Captain toad can break the tie for you?

Was Mariobro4. No, I'm not taking off my backpack...it's important.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1530-1570-5053 | 3DS Friend Code: 3566-2311-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: Mariobro4

UGXwolf

Nah, I've thought about it quite a bit, and I can honestly put my vote on Paper Mario - King of the Koopas.

I like both entries about the same, but Kong of the Koopas feels like it belongs in a game and my main exposure to One-Winged Angel is through Advent Children, so I can't really make a full argument for it.

4) Paper Mario - King of the Koopas

(Also, lol at my typo, "Kong of the Koopas." I'm gonna leave it in because it's funny.)

ThePirateCaptain
Maelstrom

1) FE: Awakening ~ Id (Purpose) — Just awesome.

2) Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories - Lord of the Castle — There is just nothing memorable about the FF one. The KH one is great.

3) The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap - Vaati's Wrath — An OK boss theme. The MGS one would be good without the jazz-like sound, until the point where the other voices come in.

4) Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - It Has to Be This Way — Absolutely incredible. There are vocals present, but they are entirely background and sound wonderful. 11/10

My video game arrangements (sheet music for piano)
Check in for new sheets every Monday. There's lots of Fire Emblem arrangements coming.

Nintendo Network ID: aginor

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.