Forums

Topic: The NintendoLife VGM Tournament: Farewell

Posts 2,581 to 2,600 of 2,988

UGXwolf

Been keeping count because of boredom, but the current standings are as follows:

1) 5-3 (in favor of Bayonetta - The Greatest Jubilee)
2) 6-2 (in favor of Super Meat Boy - Carmeaty Burana)
3) 4-4
4) 4-4

Just in case anyone was curious, but too lazy or not curious enough to count for themselves.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Spectator

1. The greatest Jubilee (to good)
2. Super Meat Boy (pretty good)
3. Donkey Kong (Better variation)
4. Liberation Maiden (song picks up well in the middle)

Spectator

Geonjaha

1) Bayonetta - The Greatest Jubilee
2) Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker - Dr. Snapped
3) Donkey Kong '94 - Showdown at the Tower
4) Liberation Maiden - Let's Continue the Story

Geonjaha

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

DreamyViridi

Geonjaha wrote:

1) Bayonetta - The Greatest Jubilee
2) Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker - Dr. Snapped
3) Donkey Kong '94 - Showdown at the Tower
4) Liberation Maiden - Let's Continue the Story

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

ThePirateCaptain
FriedSquid

Wow, didn't think I'd see a Zelda song go off the board that quickly...

1. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Dark Lord Ganondorf
2. Ōkami - Rising Sun
3. Jet Grind Radio - Grace & Glory
4. Final Fantasy IV - Zeromus

Sav'aaq!
A Miiverse admin's first day on the job.
"Samus is under fire! She's sent an emergency directive! Join the fight!"
My Squidloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6168-7289 | Nintendo Network ID: captainsquid

Yoshi

1) The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Dark Lord Ganondorf (Guitar Hero just didn't cut it)
2) Ōkami - Rising Sun (it is a little difficult to not be biased, but I believe my nomination wins this round)
3) Jet Grind Radio - Grace & Glory (I love how unique this song is!)
4) Final Fantasy IV (sorry, Donkey Kong....)

Formally called brewsky before becoming the lovable, adorable Yoshi.
Now playing:
Final Fantasy XIV (PC) | The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch) | Celeste (Switch)

Nintendo Network ID: brewsky93

8BitSamurai

Squid wrote:

2. Ōkami - Rising Sun
3. Jet Grind Radio - Grace & Glory

"rare download" Assistant

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai

Shirma_Akayaku

2. Ōkami - Rising Sun
3. Jet Grind Radio - Grace & Glory (SO MUCH YES. )

Wi-Fi Game List:
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Splatoon
Super Smash Bros. Wii U & 3DS + All DLC
Mario Kart 8 + All DLC
Mario Golf: World Tour + All DLC
Mario Kart 7
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Wii U & 3DS Game Wish List:...

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9553-9610 | Nintendo Network ID: Toadette75

UGXwolf

1) Guitar Hero III - The Devil Went Down to Georgia — While I can't say I'm not biased, I CAN say that this song really does get my blood pumping and prepare me for the insane licks I'm about to have to pull off. As I said when nominating this piece, I think it works well as a boss theme in and of itself, but add in the fact that it essentially IS the boss, as well and you've got an amazing piece that will never really leave my head. The Ganondorf battle from Twilight Princess, hilariously enough, is an extremely good candidate for ALL OF THE OPPOSITE REASONS. By this, I mean that my vote could go either way, but I would really rather see GH move on. It's a more unique track, seeing as I expect the finals to be full of epic choir themes of desperation. It'd be nice to see something a little different in the later rounds.

2) Final Fantasy VIII - The Extreme — LOOK AT ME! I'M BEING CONFLICTUAL AND DISAGREEABLE! But no, in all seriousness, there's no doubting that between these two, Okami - Rising Sun is the more stunning and aurally pleasing piece, but it also doesn't make me think much of a battle--or if it does, it makes me think of the resolution of an anime battle. It sounds like the fight is either over, already, or about to be, which doesn't make me think much of a final boss. The Extreme, on the other hand, definitely feels like a struggle, even if it's a little slow to get off the ground. That said, the triumphant feel of Rising Sun is really what that piece is all about. It's a good thing to have, but when that encompasses the whole piece, it seems better fit for a resolution than a climax.

3) Dust: An Elysian Tale - Let's End This — These are both good picks, vibing throughout with that epic feel. The difference between the two is that one is more interesting to listen to on its own, and the other is more of a classical masterpiece, in a sense. I chose Let's End This because of the elements found within. There's clear notes and passages marking triumph and desperation, mixing together beautifully between each other. The piece is absolutely amazing while Jet Grind Radio tries to make itself sound hip while still giving it that epic feel, but it just kinda comes off as schizophrenic, when the beat drops. Again, neither of these are bad pieces, but I just think Let's End This is more deserving of a place in the next round.

4) Donkey Kong Country - Gang-Plank Galleon — Ok, I've gotta come clean with this one. Donkey Kong Country WAS my childhood, right next to Yoshi's Island. These were the first games that I /really/ got into, and as such, a lot of my expectations in the realms of VGM and difficulty come from those SNES classics. Heck, I think this game was literally my very first rager. THAT SAID! What I really like about this song, aside from the nostalgic value, is the instrumentation and the way they utilized the very limited sound chips they had to work with, as compared to Final Fantasy which always just sounds like it'd sound better, if we didn't have better sound technology, now. Beyond that, the build up is perfect to sync up with your realization that this is the final boss and it WON'T be so easy. It doesn't start off in battle mode, but it gets there just soon enough to really resonate with the player.

MasterWario

1) Guitar Hero III - The Devil Went Down to Georgia - Idk, I just didn't really get any feeling from Dark Lord Ganondorf; compared to some of the other stuff I've heard that one's pretty lame, imo. The composition is definitely there, I just felt like they were holding back the energy too much.
2) Okami - Rising Sun - Sorry Final Fantasy, you just don't cut it. Perhaps I would like the music more if I actually played any of the games. I still find it shocking that I haven't played any games in the main series despite being such a big RPG fan. (Bravely Default is on point though )
3) Dust: An Elysian Tale - Let's End This - Jet Grind Radio definitely has an interesting take on the final boss theme, but it falls off in that it doesn't have the drive that I felt Dust has.
4) Final Fantasy IV - Zeromus - If it was the brawl version of Gang-Plank Galleon I would have voted for it, but the original doesn't keep up a good tension, and I really can't justify voting for it.

@UGXwolf I enjoying reading your explanations, in case you're wondering who actually reads them.

Edited on by MasterWario

I would have never guessed Weezing was so useful until I played a HeartGold Nuzlocke!
My YouTube Channel! Video game related, of course!
My Pushmo Levels

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0589-3371 | Nintendo Network ID: MasterWario

Spectator

2. Ōkami - Rising Sun
3. Jet Grind Radio - Grace & Glory ( I like the style)

Spectator

Yoshi

@UGXWolf You've apparently never played Okami, and that's fine. I'm not expecting you to, and I'm pretty sure I haven't even played half of the games here. It's just that people who played Okami have an understanding of the context of the music. I knew going into this by nominating Okami that it's going to be tough for the music to compete if people are unaware of the context.

The music plays in the final phase of the fight, and it can quite difficult only because I'm trying to fight back tears. (Don't make fun of me, you cried too!)

Formally called brewsky before becoming the lovable, adorable Yoshi.
Now playing:
Final Fantasy XIV (PC) | The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch) | Celeste (Switch)

Nintendo Network ID: brewsky93

Maelstrom

1) Twilight Princess: Dark Lord Ganondorf - wonderful song, has the "epicly evil" feel. Zreo did an incredible job redoing this one.
2) Haven't played either game and both sound great, so I'll abstain
3)Dust - Let's end this. Simply awesome. And I really didn't like the jet set radio one.
4)Final Fantasy IV - Zeromus - Has a great change from piano to ...whatever that is. Final Fantasy Boss battles usually are long multi-faceted songs.

And yes, I do read people's descriptions.

My video game arrangements (sheet music for piano)
Check in for new sheets every Monday. There's lots of Fire Emblem arrangements coming.

Nintendo Network ID: aginor

DreamyViridi

1, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Dark Lord Ganondorf
2. Okami - Rising Sun
3. Dust: An Elysian Tale - Let's End This
4. Donkey Kong Country - Gang-Plank Galleon

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

UGXwolf

brewsky wrote:

@UGXWolf You've apparently never played Okami, and that's fine. I'm not expecting you to, and I'm pretty sure I haven't even played half of the games here. It's just that people who played Okami have an understanding of the context of the music. I knew going into this by nominating Okami that it's going to be tough for the music to compete if people are unaware of the context.

The music plays in the final phase of the fight, and it can quite difficult only because I'm trying to fight back tears. (Don't make fun of me, you cried too!)

Actually, I have played Okami, though I never finished it due to the second half of the game getting really tedious. In context, it's still an aural treat and I do really love the song, but it still just doesn't say "final boss" to me, and IMO, the best final boss theme shouldn't need context to stand tall. But that's just my opinion.

ClockworkMario

1) The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Dark Lord Ganondorf
2) Final Fantasy VII – XXXXXXTRRRREEEEMMMMEE!!!!!
3) Dust: An Elysian Tale - Let's End This
4) Donkey Kong Country - Gang-Plank Galleon

Currently on the plate:
Mount and Blade: Warband – Napoleonic Wars
Chivalry
Super Mario 3D World – Finishing the last few levels.
Mario Kart 8

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1586-9129

UGXwolf

As with last time, I got bored and tallied up the scores. Currently, we're at:

9-4 (In favor of Twilight Princess)
10-2 (In favor of Okami)
8-5 (In favor of Dust)
8-5 (In favor of Final Fantasy IV)

I'm honestly surprised that Dust has managed to pull a come-from-behind on this one. The first four votes were all against it, but this isn't necessarily over, yet. All the rest were pretty heavy blow-outs, though. Fair enough. I thought all of these were pretty good songs, even if FFIV didn't make awesome use of the SNES sound chip. It's probably been redone and sounded awesome.

EDIT: I'm even counting votes below this post.

Edited on by UGXwolf

Geonjaha

1) Guitar Hero III - The Devil Went Down to Georgia (The Zelda one was a bit generic to be honest. It wasn't bad I just appreciate the uniqueness of this entry more).
2) Okami - Rising Sun (Disregarding the constantly changing tune on the other entry, this one was more enjoyable to listen to)
3) Dust: An Elysian Tale - Let's End This (Epic track, and good to see an indie PC game of all things doing well [even if this is the first round])
4) Final Fantasy IV - Zeromus (Because it better fits the theme in my eyes)

Geonjaha

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

Red_XIII

1) Guitar Hero 3: The Devil Went Down to Georgia.
2) Okami-Rising Sun
3: Dust: An Elysian Tail- Lets End This
4) Donkey Kong Country: Gang Plank Galleon

Red_XIII

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.