General Discussion Forum

Topic: The NintendoLife VGM Tournament: Best Credits Theme (First Round)

Showing 2,501 to 2,520 of 3,152

AuthorMessage

Squid

2,501. Posted:

1. Super Mario Galaxy - Bowser's Galaxy Reactor
2. Mega Man 4 - Dr. Cossack (Stage 2)
3. Mega Man 10 - Wily Stage 1
4. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - Launch Base Zone (Act 1)

A Miiverse admin's first day on the job.
Long live the King of Pop!
Ze Squidloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6168-7289 | Nintendo Network ID: captainsquid

AuthorMessage

DreamyViridi

2,502. Posted:

1) Mario & Luigi: Dream Team - Neo Bowser Castle
2) Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest - Krook's March
3) Mega Man 10 - Wily Stage 1
4) Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - Launch Base Zone (Act 1)

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Don't mind Dark Pit, he's just here to annoy the haters...
The Kid Icarus League's LuigiMan200 - Bio by True_Hero.
My YouTube Channel

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

AuthorMessage

UGXwolf

2,503. Posted:

1. Super Mario Galaxy - Bowser's Galaxy Reactor This is a tough one. I really think both songs are great final level themes, but Galaxy blends so well the light-hearted music the series is known for with the heavy dark tones that mark a great enemy territory theme. I really love both of these pieces, however, and it should be stated that somewhere else on the roster, Neo Bowser Castle may have done extremely well.
2. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest - Krook's March Oh, here we go. This is one I see going a long, LONG way. It's almost unfair to Dr. Cossack's Stage to put these two against each other. It's a good theme, and Mega Man does some incredible things with the NES musical limitations, but there's no getting around it. Krook's March is just the better of the two. I can't even come up with an argument for Mega Man 4's case.
3. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - Hooktail's Castle This is a tough one. These are both great songs for their own reasons and suit their respective levels very well. Even so, I can see Hooktail's Castle working in far more situations than Wily Stage 1. I have to give it to Paper Mario for having the better all-rounder, this time.
4. The Legend of Zelda - Death Mountain Ok, so here's an example of a match up that is bound to end in tears. Death Mountain starts up slow and does very little, even with its given limitations, but Launch Base Zone just doesn't sound anything like an enemy base. Death Mountain objectively fits the category better, so I have to give it the point, even if Launch Base is the better song.

In hindsight, this is a stellar round, with the exception of bracket H, which is possibly one of the weakest ones we'll see, in this tournament. I can see any of the first six going on to Round 4. Well, except for Thousand Year Door, but that's because it looks like that one's about to get eliminated, and not because it's not good.

Edited on by UGXwolf

I COME UPON THEE WITH RIGHTEOUS FURY FROM THAT OF THE SMASH FANDOM! ILLOGICAL STATEMENTS SHALT BE MET WITH ALL OF MINE RAGE... until I do something else. No sense in being grumpy.

AuthorMessage

Geonjaha

2,504. Posted:

1) Super Mario Galaxy - Bowser's Galaxy Reactor
2) Mega Man 4 - Dr. Cossack (Stage 2)
3) Mega Man 10 - Wily Stage 1
4) Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - Launch Base Zone (Act 1)

I make Pixel Art on occasion.

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

AuthorMessage

GamecubeMan

2,505. Posted:

1) Mario and Luigi Dream Team - Neo Bowser Castle It would be stupid if Galaxy 1 and 2 ended up making it to finals. Also, this track gives off the darkest feeling I have ever felt from a Bowser Base theme.
2) Mega Man 4 - Dr Cossack(Stage 2) As expected Mega Man will dominate in this tourney
3) Mega Man 10 - Wily Stage 1 *kisses first nomination goodbye *
4) The Legend of Zelda - Death Mountain Hey.... if I didnt know better.... nah it couldn't be...

Edited on by GamecubeMan

Gamecubeloggery
Forget the Nintendo seal of approval
I only see GC 4.0 happening if I become a English major. Yeah... not happening.

3DS Friend Code: 1934-1104-3407 | Twitter: jazzygcnman

AuthorMessage

UGXwolf

2,506. Posted:

I dunno, I really just don't feel like Dr. Cossack's theme is even remotely as bad guy-ish as Krook's March.

I COME UPON THEE WITH RIGHTEOUS FURY FROM THAT OF THE SMASH FANDOM! ILLOGICAL STATEMENTS SHALT BE MET WITH ALL OF MINE RAGE... until I do something else. No sense in being grumpy.

AuthorMessage

Karakato

2,507. Posted:

To me, a base theme shouldn't only sound "bad guy-ish" to win my vote it also has to get my blood pumping in the heat of the battle as another user stated earlier. MM4's Cossack theme just felt like the stakes were raised in the stage it played in and it was more involved than Krook's March. And while the latter managed to have a imperial march like theme, it just didn't stick out to me as much as the former.

Fancy a Karrot Cake?
Deviant Art Profile
Tumblr Page
My Backlog

The Rest is Silence.

AuthorMessage

CapnPancakes

2,508. Posted:

1. Mario & Luigi: Dream Team - Neo Bowser Castle (I love Galaxy's soundtrack, but this sounded more menacing.)

2. Donkey Kong Country 2 - Krook's March (Again, the Mega Man track is good, but this fits much better.)

3. Mega Man 10 - Wily Stage 1

4. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - Launch Base Zone

Runs the NintendoLife Best VGM Tourney Come Vote!
The Pancakeloggery
Keep it frosty people.
My Super Mario Galaxy Bio courtesy of Dark-Luigi.

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

AuthorMessage

UGXwolf

2,509. Posted:

While I agree with that, I feel a dark brooding theme can be far more effective than a heavy or fast-paced one that just doesn't fit the theme. Not that it's particularly important, as I feel there's very little in the second half that stands much chance of progressing.

AuthorMessage

MasterWario

2,510. Posted:

Seems like the next round will be up soon...I'll be honest I'm really anxious for bracket L

Shulk! HOORAY! Now if they just add King K. Rool, the game will be complete.
My Pushmo Levels
My Crashmo Levels
My Colors! 3D Gallery
Bogmire sprite by A.J. Nitro

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0589-3371

AuthorMessage

Geonjaha

2,511. Posted:

UGXwolf wrote:

I dunno, I really just don't feel like Dr. Cossack's theme is even remotely as bad guy-ish as Krook's March.

Wasn't even a close one for me. Dr. Cossack's theme is memorable, and fun to listen to. Krook's March is just a bit dull. I find that both themes are still appropriate for what they should be, so my vote is an easy one.

Edited on by Geonjaha

AuthorMessage

CapnPancakes

2,512. Posted:

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team wins 6-5
Mega Man 4 wins 6-5
Mega Man 10 wins 8-2
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 wins 7-3

Here is a link to the current bracket
Here is a link to the Best Mario Kart Theme Tournament

1) Kid Icarus: Uprising - Aurum Brain vs. Bravely Default - Infiltrating Enemy Territory

2) Mega Man 9 - We're the Robots vs. Kid Icarus: Uprising - Underworld Castle

3) Trine - Tower of Serek vs. Sonic Adventure - Final Egg

4) Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door - X-Naut Fortress vs. Etrian Odyssey IV - Library of Puppets

The Pancakeloggery
Keep it frosty people.

AuthorMessage

The_Groosefather

2,513. Posted:

1. KIU
2. KIU
3. Sonic Adventure
4. Paper Mario

You will obey Groose and bring me waffles!!!
Snorlax are weak to Camrys
Grooseloggery
"I don't suffer from insanity, i enjoy every minute of it" -unknown

3DS Friend Code: 1805-2393-2290 | Nintendo Network ID: Groose_Lord

AuthorMessage

Link-Hero

2,514. Posted:

1) Kid Icarus: Uprising - Aurum Brain
2) Kid Icarus: Uprising - Underworld Castle
3) Trine - Tower of Serek
4) Etrian Odyssey IV - Library of Puppets

Link-Hero

Nintendo Network ID: LinkHero25

AuthorMessage

MasterWario

2,515. Posted:

1) Bravely Default - Infiltrating Enemy Territory
4) Etrian Odyssey IV - Library of Puppets - Took a while to figure this one out, but I realized I liked Etrian Odyssey's much better, its just that that X-Naut Fortress is ridiculously catchy.

So I don't know what exactly it is, but apparently I don't like Sonic music or Mega Man music much at all. :|

Edited on by MasterWario

Shulk! HOORAY! Now if they just add King K. Rool, the game will be complete.
My Pushmo Levels
My Crashmo Levels
My Colors! 3D Gallery
Bogmire sprite by A.J. Nitro

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0589-3371

AuthorMessage

8BitSamurai

2,516. Posted:

2) Mega Man 9 - We're the Robots
3) Sonic Adventure - Final Egg
4) Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door - X-Naut Fortress

Currently retired indefinitely
Official "rare download" Assistant
Best YT show here!
Beat: Final Fight, Spec Ops TL, King of Dragons
Favorite games: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, Symphony of the Night, Dragon Quest VIII, Tales of the Abyss

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai | Twitter: PrinnySamurai

AuthorMessage

Squid

2,517. Posted:

1. Kid Icarus: Uprising - Aurum Brain
2. Kid Icarus: Uprising - Underworld Castle
3. Sonic Adventure - Final Egg
4. Etrian Odyssey IV - Library of Puppets

A Miiverse admin's first day on the job.
Long live the King of Pop!
Ze Squidloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6168-7289 | Nintendo Network ID: captainsquid

AuthorMessage

UGXwolf

2,518. Posted:

1) Bravely Default: Flying Fairy - Infiltrating Enemy Territory I really like both of these songs. Aurum Brain has this nice feel, like flying through the enemy ranks and shooting them down as you go, and when the song picks up, it REALLY picks up. Infiltrating Enemy Territory, however, is just extremely catch, and really feels like you're somewhere you're REALLY not supposed to be. It ramps up the tension, and it makes every enemy encounter that much more exciting, when it happens. The intro also just has a downright villainly feel. I don't know what it is, but to me, a cool theme that feels like sneaking through enemy territory just appeals so much more to me as "enemy base music" than something that reminds me of battle. Guess JRPGs are always gonna have the leg up, with me.
2. Kid Icarus: Uprising - Underworld Castle This is another tough one. I thought about it for a bit, but really, Kid Icarus's Underworld Castle just has that unique evil theme to it that can't be mistaken. Mega Man 9's "We are the Robots" has a few nice feels, but never really capitalizes on it, and now I realize, that's my problem with most Mega Man music. They have good feels and great rhythms, but where does it culminate?
3. Trine - Tower of Serek IMO, these both fit the theme of the contest poorly. I'm just going for the one that feels more like it's trying. I imagine either one will be eliminated in the next bracket, anyhow.
4. Etrian Odyssey IV - Library of Puppets These were both pretty good, but I just get them feels so much stronger from this one. I do admire the way Paper Mario's theme sounds playful without losing those darker undertones, though.

AuthorMessage

Geonjaha

2,519. Posted:

4) Etrian Odyssey IV - Library of Puppets

AuthorMessage

CapnPancakes

2,520. Posted:

1. Kid Icarus: Uprising - Aurum Brain
2. Kid Icarus: Uprising - Underworld Castle
3. Sonic Adventure - Final Egg
4. Etrian Odyssey IV - Library of Puppets (I really like how this one makes you feel that you're in a place you shouldn't be.)

The Pancakeloggery
Keep it frosty people.