Forums

Topic: The NintendoLife VGM Tournament: Farewell

Posts 2,281 to 2,300 of 2,988

GamecubeMan

-Best Antagonist Base Theme (the part in the game where you final get to the main antagionist's base, usually the area you explore before the final boss. Tracks that should not be alowed becase of the reasons stated exacty before hand include Paper Mario TTYD Chapter 8)
-Best Rendition of an Original Track
-Best Mini-Boss Theme
-Best End Level Melody (touch the flag pole, free the captured animals, etc.)

GCN 3.9
Gamecubeloggery
Forget the Nintendo seal of approval
My

3DS Friend Code: 1934-1104-3407 | Twitter:

Captain_Toad

How about Character select? (and types like that)

Or stage select?

Or game over themes

Edited on by Captain_Toad

Was Mariobro4. No, I'm not taking off my backpack...it's important.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1530-1570-5053 | 3DS Friend Code: 3566-2311-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: Mariobro4

ThePirateCaptain

Alright guys, I'm leaning towards either @GamecubeMan's suggestion of the Antagonist Base Theme or Best Final Boss Theme. I'm already planning on having a Best Credits Tournament, so don't fret if you wanted that to be next.

Some other things to discuss, for a while now I've felt that the way tiebreakers are handled could be done better. The system we have now is just the one I carried over from the original creator of this Music Tournament. I have a few ideas on how we could make it better, from something like a random dice roll to just delaying the next round until the tie is broken, but I'd like to hear your opinions as well.

One last thing, Ever since I started this thread we've done basic single elimination tournaments. I know many people are sad when their songs lose, whether in the first round of the tournament, or in the semifinal round. One option is that we could have double eliminations. It wouldn't have to be for every tourney, but I just thought I'd run it by you and see what you all think.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

UGXwolf

I can agree to double eliminations. I was trying to think of a way to rank it out so you get a full list from 1st to whateverth, but in 64-song tournaments, and even worse, in 128-song tournaments, that'd be a painstakingly long process, trying to nail down every single place. Heck, even for 32-song tournaments, that'd be rough. I did a 16-song one, in another forum that I might be able to do that with, if rounds go by fast enough, but I probably just won't. Double elimination, however, is a good way of going about things.

Also, antagonistic base theme, though it doesn't seem like it HAS to be the final level, as sometimes (notably in RPGs) you get to an antagonist's base long before the game's even remotely over. For instance, the Desian HUB in Tales of Symphonia would be an antagonistic base, even if the final level is actually Derris Kharlan.

Edited on by UGXwolf

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Shirma_Akayaku

Eh, that's it. I give up on learning on how to vote for this tournament. I'll just watch from the sidelines.

Wi-Fi Game List:
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Splatoon
Super Smash Bros. Wii U & 3DS + All DLC
Mario Kart 8 + All DLC
Mario Golf: World Tour + All DLC
Mario Kart 7
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Wii U & 3DS Game Wish List:...

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9553-9610 | Nintendo Network ID: Toadette75

GamecubeMan

Double elimination is an idea I was going to suggest. Tracks that made it to semifinals would be put in a loser's bracket and the winner of the loser's bracket would face the winner of the main bracket. So basically we could see if this winning track could even stand the likes of an original losing track. As far as Final Boss Themed tournament....... that would be spoilertastic!

GCN 3.9
Gamecubeloggery
Forget the Nintendo seal of approval
My

3DS Friend Code: 1934-1104-3407 | Twitter:

Captain_Toad

@Rosalina: Type in which song you like from Cap'n Pancakes selection. I'll show you if you like.

Was Mariobro4. No, I'm not taking off my backpack...it's important.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1530-1570-5053 | 3DS Friend Code: 3566-2311-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: Mariobro4

ThePirateCaptain

@Rosalina
You'll see once we get started, it's not hard at all. Right now we're just preparing for the next tournament.

ThePirateCaptain

ClockworkMario

Double elimination on semi-finals sounds good to me, though not earlier than that lest it'll stall for too long. Hope we're doing the antagonist base tourney; I already have a winner in mind.

About tiebreakers: I believe we ought to leave those for the dice and use a site like this one

Currently on the plate:
Mount and Blade: Warband – Napoleonic Wars
Chivalry
Super Mario 3D World – Finishing the last few levels.
Mario Kart 8

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1586-9129

ThePirateCaptain

@ClockworkMario
The thing is that when I set the bracket up I have to choose either single or double elimination right there. Unless I made a separate bracket for all the songs that lost in the semi-final round, it would be one or the other.

I think we'll go with Best Antagonist Base Theme for this tournament. I still need to know what you guys want for tiebreakers though. We could stick with the system we have, or do something like @ClockworkMario suggested, I just need to know.

ThePirateCaptain

UGXwolf

I don't feel like leaving it to random chance is the best way to go about it, but I also think that the way it's being done, now is more unfair, and waiting for another vote to break the tie could take too long. Really, I don't like any of these options, but I don't have any good ideas of my own and random chance is the fairest of the three.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Geonjaha

Bring both of them into the next round so that its a choice of 3 songs instead of 2.

Geonjaha

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

ThePirateCaptain

Nominations are now open, four each to be exact.

ThePirateCaptain

Shirma_Akayaku

Well, I got nothing. No songs come to mind.

Wi-Fi Game List:
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Splatoon
Super Smash Bros. Wii U & 3DS + All DLC
Mario Kart 8 + All DLC
Mario Golf: World Tour + All DLC
Mario Kart 7
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Wii U & 3DS Game Wish List:...

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9553-9610 | Nintendo Network ID: Toadette75

UnknownNico

@CapnPancakes How about Fire Emblem: Awakening's base theme as one of them? It kinda counts. I mean, it's not exactly a BASE, since you're on Grima's back, but you're still near him. He's just on the other side of his... own... back. Does that count?

I'm really running out of ideas for my signature.
I've got the power! The Hidden Power!
I used to run on blast processing. Now I'm 64-bit.
Currently playing: ARK: Survival Evolved, Splatoon
I AM STILL NEAR-PERFECT!!!

3DS Friend Code: 2664-2246-5075

ThePirateCaptain

@UnknownNico
I'm not too literal when it comes to this. I trust you guys to pick songs that fit the category, and hey, it's not a bad thing to be creative.

ThePirateCaptain

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.