Forums

Topic: Everything Star Wars discussion thread| How you doing, you old pirate?

Posts 881 to 900 of 1,108

Dezzy

jump wrote:

Speaking of Porgs, apparently they were only in the film as the island they were filming on had wild puffins everywhere but it was cheaper to CGI them as alien animals than shooing them away or deleting them out of the footage. Once they saw the designs they loved them and made them a bigger part of the movie.

Yep. That island is off the coast of Ireland. I always knew about it because it's called Skellig Michael, so it reminded me of one of the islands in the Witcher 3.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

iKhan

Just watched Rise of Skywalker, and I've gotta say...

It was fine. There were parts I absolutely loved like Rey really using the force skillfully, Hux being the traitor, and Kylo turning with Leia's last breath. There were also parts I hated like the retcon of Rey's parentage, Kylo rebuilding his helmet, and Palpatine returning.

I wish I could say more about my complete feelings about the movie, but I don't really know why the movie was just okay to me. There was just something pervasive throughout the movie that just felt wrong.

Overall, my rankings (in terms of personal preference) are now this:
1. Revenge of the Sith
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. The Last Jedi
4. Return of the Jedi
5. The Force Awakens
6. A New Hope
7. The Phantom Menace
8. Rise of Skywalker
9. Attack of the Clones

My rankings in terms of my assessment of quality is:
1. Empire Strikes Back
2. The Last Jedi
3. A New Hope
4. Return of the Jedi
5. Revenge of the Sith
6. The Phantom Menace
7. The Force Awakens
8. Rise of Skywalker
9. Attack of the Clones

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

jump

Stupid question, is spice suppose to be slang in Star Wars for drugs? As Han and Poe are spice smugglers it seems a little tame if it is just spices unless it's meant to reflect the times of The East India Company days were spices were exotic and valuable?

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Reynoblade

@jump
Spice was originally intended for medicinal purposes but there was a syndicate that turned it into drugs.
Spice was mined on Kessel, also known for the "Kessel Run".

Reynoblade

Octane

Mando season 2 is off to great start I'd say.

Octane

DarkRula

Oh, it certainly is off to a great start. When Mandalorian on Tatooine were mentioned, I felt I knew where we were ending up, and I wasn't disappointed. And then it just got better with the type of Tusken culture exploration we haven't seen since the Kenobi novel.

I'm hoping for good stuff from the next episode.

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

Zeldafan79

The mandalorian season 2 is already blowing my mind! I didn't think they'd give us the Fett man in the first episode. It is strange knowing what we know now after thinking otherwise since 83. It's weird how this show has made me think differently about Tuskens. We were always told they were savages or monsters and now all the sudden Mando is talking to them using sign language and i don't know how to feel about that. I almost feel bad for them now. Maybe they're just like people. Some are decent and others just horrible.

Is this talking to tuskens thing new or did i miss something from the expanded universe? I'm only familiar with the movies and this show.

Edited on by Zeldafan79

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

Dezzy

Lol they just announced like 7 new Star Wars TV shows and movies:
https://collider.com/disney-plus-new-star-wars-shows-marvel-s...

I have a slight suspicion Disney have realized that they're terrible at judging the audience's preferences with Star Wars, so they're just gonna do a bit of everything and let the market decide which ones survive and become long-term series.

Probably a fairly good idea really. The Obi-wan show is the only one I'm really interested to see though, cos I think having the same actors returning will make it feel more legitimate. They've apparently got Hayden Christensen involved too. Although I'm not sure how they'll handle that given that he's supposed to be in his black suit at that point. Either flashbacks to pre-episode 3, or maybe they'll do some workaround where he has a second suit that allows him to show his face. That's kinda what this dude is, afterall:

Untitled

Dezzy

@ToadBrigade

To be honest, Ahsoka is probably the only new character they came up with after episode 3 that I actually like. So I'll probably give it a try!

Cotillion

Ahsoka going live action was always going to be a weird transition. I find it's different than going the other way, because you have the 'real' version and then the animated interpretation of that. An entirely new character created and introduced animated has no real reference for us the viewer, so we form one ourselves of what they would be like. What we actually get usually isn't the same.

@Dezzy The bigger stretch here is how are they going to put Vader in this series? By the time of ANH, Obi-Wan is presumed long dead as stated by Tarkin, implying that no one, including Vader, knows he's been a hermit all this time. I hope they don't pull some modern Star Trek BS and just start messing with canon while trying to retroactively fix it to shoehorn in these shows.
The Obi-Wan show I am both looking forward to and not. I really like Star Wars, but I'm getting tired of being stuck within the timeframe of the OT. But on the other hand, this is the only time Ewan McGregor will be the proper age to do it.
The Acolyte sounds more like what I've been wanting for a long while....something that leaves the safety net of the OT behind and goes somewhere else in the sprawling galaxy with a massive history.

Cotillion

MPSSislit

@Dezzy
That's actually a pretty good suspicion (or theory) to think of. I didn't think of that myself.
I mean, Disney did say that the next few years of Star Wars would be TV show/Disney+ focused, with a few movies as well.
IIRC, I believe that Hayden Christensen was in the suit for Episode III, and for Rogue One as well.

@ToadBrigade
Yeah, I definitely agree with you on that, regarding the comparison with TGA.

Also, can you guys either put spoiler marks in your responses, or at least put in the title (SPOILERS), please?

Please give Ninjala a chance, guys. 🤔
As @Sunsy said,
Ninjala Gang FOR LIFE!
Also, if I don't respond to your post within a day (or two), don't worry, I'm not ignoring you. I'm going to be busy, though I will do my best to respond in a timely fashion.

Dezzy

@Shadowthrone

Yeah I dunno about the continuity. Is it ever actually stated that the Mustafar scene is supposed to be the last time Obiwan and Anakin saw each other?

Cos the thing Tarkin said about Obi-wan must be long since dead, could easily mean that they saw each other several times in the years after that, but then maybe had like 10 or 15 years before Ep4 where they'd kept apart.

To be honest, I don't even care that much about continuity any more. They kinda stopped me caring about that with the sequel trilogy. Also, we already have the fact that Obi-wan didn't recognize the droids in Ep4, which made no sense at all, given the prequels.

Edited on by Dezzy

Toy_Link

@SM3DASislit
I think in Episode 3 Hayden Christiansen's eyeline was looking through Darth Vader's chest area as the suit was too tall for him (David Prowse was around 6 inches taller than Hayden is).

I definitely hope that a stuntman does Darth Vader in the "duel of the century" if Hayden does do more than appear in flashbacks and maskless Vader in his chamber.

Legal threats that have gone nowhere: 1

Cotillion

@Dezzy Well, there's only 19 years between 3 and 4 as it is and the dialogue between Obi-Wan and Vader in their final duel also indicates they have not seen each other.
The continuity of the sequels doesn't matter to me either, I don't even consider those canon for my own enjoyment of the franchise. The timeline ends with The Mandalorian for me
But, theres still no need for them to mess about with the continuity of the existing movies before they acquired them.
The droids thing with Obi-Wan....he never actually says he doesn't recognize them. He says he "doesn't recall ever owning a droid". Which is factually true that we ever saw (he worked with several, but never owned them). Given his inclination to tell the truth from "a certain point of view", it makes sense not to reveal knowing them at all given their history with Lukes parents.

Cotillion

Dezzy

Shadowthrone wrote:

The droids thing with Obi-Wan....he never actually says he doesn't recognize them. He says he "doesn't recall ever owning a droid". Which is factually true that we ever saw (he worked with several, but never owned them). Given his inclination to tell the truth from "a certain point of view", it makes sense not to reveal knowing them at all given their history with Lukes parents.

Haha. Are you on the Lucasfilm clean-up-crew payroll?

MPSSislit

@Shadowthrone, @Toy_Link
Okay, thanks for letting me know. 👍
Also, those are interesting facts. 🤔👍

Edited on by MPSSislit

Please give Ninjala a chance, guys. 🤔
As @Sunsy said,
Ninjala Gang FOR LIFE!
Also, if I don't respond to your post within a day (or two), don't worry, I'm not ignoring you. I'm going to be busy, though I will do my best to respond in a timely fashion.

gcunit

Dezzy wrote:

Shadowthrone wrote:

Haha. Are you on the Lucasfilm clean-up-crew payroll?

Everything Shadowthrone says is fair. There's no contradiction in what Obi-Wan says. He's just a shady mofo.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Dezzy

Wow looks like I made a mistake by not watching the Mandalorian. I hadn't watched any of season 1, but I randomly watched a couple of episodes in Season 2, and then I watched the finale yesterday.

DAMNNNN that was the best Star Wars thing they've made since the original trilogy! I'm gonna have to go back and watch the rest of it now, Lol.

God I wish they'd put Jon Favreau in charge of the sequel trilogy. He obviously understands what made Star Wars great.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic