Forums

Topic: Everything Star Wars discussion thread| How you doing, you old pirate?

Posts 641 to 660 of 1,108

Namco

The Last Jedi was meh. It lacked real progression and the realism of the space battles was below Star Wars standards.

The First Order and the Resistance have the worst strategists in the universe. The entire chase sequence was unrealistic. The First Order had an entire fleet but they didn't think it was a good idea to approach the Resistance from more than one side? The Resistance couldn't use light speed but the First Order should've (except if they didn't have enough fuel either but how would they even get home?). I know light speed isn't for short distances but they could send 2 or 3 Star Destroyers to pass the Resistance fleet and make them come back to corner them. They can position their ships very precise so why did they act as if their ships were flying through a corridor?

Another question mark... the First Order has space artillery that can shoot huge craters from space, but after the Resistance fled to the armored base they had no choice but to follow them to the surface? The Resistance base wasn't even that armored! Star Destroyers really are useless if they can't drop a few bombs.

Also... No... I can't even take the light speed suicide action seriously... They shouldn't have done that... If any big peace of metal going at light speed could pierce a Star Destroyer and even Snoke's ship everyone should reconsider what they were doing shooting laser beams the whole time.

Now some comments that aren't space battle related:

> Who the **** was Snoke

> Give me a reason to dislike the First Order, show me their oppression or other misdeeds. Now it's just an evil super organisation that likes to blow up planets

> Kylo Ren is still a whiney kid

I know it sounds like I hate this movie but it had plenty of good scenes as well. I loved Luke Skywalker's part in this. Nevertheless the third installment has some explaining to do!

Edited on by Namco

A piece of the Triforce appeared before you! (>'.')> Touch it now!

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2624-1857 | Nintendo Network ID: Acegamer-62

Alber-san

@Henmii
Rian didn't actually do anything new. He just threw everything 7 had set up out the window. In my opinion he was trying too hard to be innovative and ended making fun of everything we were expecting. And everything the trailers set up was a lie.

No kylo and rey joining, both remaining dark and light side respectively which is a lot safer than going the grey jedi route.

Phasma returning was pointless, she had no influence on the story. And Luke saying the jedi should end meant nothing in the end.

So yeah Rian played it very safe and didn't venture into new territories with the force.

Edited on by Alber-san

Switch FC: SW-4227-6363-7321
Online games:
Rocket League, Splatoon 2, NBA Playgrounds, Fortnite

Favourite single player games:XC2, Skyrim, TLoZ: BotW

Octane

@Peek-a-boo First time we disagree I think!

@Henmii TFA was a very safe film, but in hindsight better than TLJ. Not because TLJ is different, I have no issue with that, but because TLJ has absolutely no respect for the lore and anything that's established in the previous films. TLJ treats the events in TFA like a joke. It felt like a giant tug of war between Abrams and Johnson, undoing the things there were established in episode 7 and introducing a whole new cast, and concept, without explaining any of it. It felt like all of the characters in TLJ were competing for screen time, and we saw no character progression at all.

This was supposed to be the film that explained the things that needed explaining from episode seven, show some character development of the new cast introduced in 7, and setting us up for episode 9. Instead, we got even more characters without any character progression whatsoever. And going in the final film of this trilogy, there's even more things that need explaining. Either way, it's going to be a mess, because I don't think another 120 minutes is enough time to fix all of this. And I wouldn't be surprised if Abrams retcons some of the things Johnson introduced.

Seriously, we're going into episode 9 with the First Order being nothing more than a joke. We already saw a duel between Kylo and Rey, and even though that's probably the big thing they're leading up to, we already know what to expect, because we've already seen it play out in TFA. There are no stakes. Snoke is dead, without any background story. Who is he? He was alive during the original trilogy, where did he come from? His death scene? I didn't care. We don't even know if he was powerful at all. All we know is that he's easily tricked. People laughed when he died, again, no stakes. Captain Phasma didn't get the screen time she deserved. A lot of potential wasted IMO. And again, all of this boils to my main issue with these films, and mainly TLJ, we barely know any of these characters, and without any character development, it's hard to care for any of them.

And, whilst I appreciated Yoda's portrayal (I'm glad they didn't go all CGI on him this time), it creates a big loophole. If force ghosts can appear at will, and if they can use the force to influence the real world, then why didn't Yoda summon himself on the battlefield earlier? The lightning he summoned could've destroyed some of the First Order's ATATs easily. Same applies to long-distant force calls, why didn't any of them use that before?

Anyway, TL;DR, it felt too much like a Marvel comedy, and not enough like Star Wars. Characters are way too underdeveloped, and the film created too many loopholes with respect to the other films.

I liked Rogue One, and at this point I'm more interested in the spin-offs than episode 9.

Octane

Gerald

I've just seen Episode 8, and I left thinking WTF have they done. I've never been so disappointed in my life.
I nearly walked out when Leia turned into superman. Rey with no Jedi Training at all (Episode 5 shows how Jedi training should be done). And Snoke, killed off with no information on who he is - big mystery build up from Episode 7 wasted. Could have been a good build up to Darth Plagius the Wise.
I am currently watching Rougue One again - this is a true Star Wars movie

Edited on by Gerald

NNID: Ootfan98
3DS FC: 3909 - 7501 - 9000

DarkRula

Just in general, the only reason for the mystery of Snoke even being a thing is because of PR build-up. Yes, we saw him show off his importance in Force Awakens by magnifying himself to huge proportions, and we know he's been instrumental in bringing Kylo up. However, as we see in Last Jedi, he's also a show-off in other things too, so him being easily tricked plays into that [along with an arrogant streak that we also see]. Everything plays out with him almost the exact same as with Palpatine.
As for Rey and her 'training', all she really wanted to know was about the Force. Luke gave her that.

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

Haru17

...But there was like a half hour's worth of training scenes in The Last Jedi.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

DarkRula

Unless I'm forgetting something, there was Luke teaching about the balance, the light, and the dark, and control of the Force. Rey's combat training was done by herself. In a way, you can count the visit to the cave, but half hour? Maybe I'm missing something.

DarkRula

Octane

@DarkRula The hologram? That's Star Wars tech, not the force.

Octane

DarkRula

Yes. The hologram. I don't think I mentioned the Force in that bit, but it all still fits in him showing-off. "Look how big and important I am" sort of thing.

DarkRula

Henmii

"He just threw everything 7 had set up out the window"

Yeah, it does seem like that. And that's a pity. That's also a reason why I want Rian to do ep 9. Because I think j.j. will throw away stuff to. That way the trilogy is even less cohesive. Lol, and those knights of Ren, do they even exist?!

As for Snoke: they showed him cut in half so explicitly that it must mean something. We already knew he died, but will he rise again? If he's plagieus, remember someone (probably Palpatine) killed him already in his sleep. But if he could truly create life, maybe he revived himself. Maybe he will do it again. Maul also got revived in the Clone wars. Its daft, but not impossible

@Octane,

You call the first order a joke: they killed off almost every rebel. By the end of the movie there where only 10 or 15 left. We have never seen this amount of carnage before in Starwars. In reference: In the original trilogy we had a Stormtrooper who bumped his head, lol.

Edited on by Henmii

Henmii

Gerald

It looks like my spoilers were not blacked out. Sorry to all for giving spoilers. Fixed now
Regarding my comment on the training. I just don't think it was as in depth as previous episodes. Luke explained light and dark. He did not explain anything on emotion (fear, aggression, anger, hate, etc). Maybe I missed it. And with Rey self training, again, swinging a pole / light sabre in front of a rock doesn't seem like sufficient Jedi training to me, I didn't get the cave or the message it was giving (it was like trying to copy the Dagobar Cave but then adding the Harry Potter mirror, or maybe the inspiration was Enter the Dragon, I don't know) but thats just my opinion
Maybe if I watch it again, it might not seem as bad.

Edited on by Gerald

GrailUK

Why do people say Leia did a Superman? The lass reached out and pulled herself to the door! We've seen the force work like this before. Why is it so bad? I don't get the hate. The film was fabulous in it's own right, I thought (way better than Force Awakens!)

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

gcunit

Last Jedi may have been a better 'film', but Force Awakens was a better 'Star Wars film'.

The 'hate' is there because whereas Force Awakens seemed to be continuing something, albeit after a long hiatus, and that something being the biggest cultural phenomenon since the Beatles, Last Jedi, at least at this point in time (maybe Episode IX will change this) feels like Disney is throwing that opportunity to continue something that was brilliant away and instead are turning it into something else.

It's not clear cut, but my gut says I've got a bad feeling about this.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Gerald

@GrailUK I just didn't like it. She was in an explosion, sucked into space, I think unconscious when she did the 'as I described, poorly if you like' Superman thing.
I don't recall anything similar in the previous episodes, correct me if I'm wrong.
Maybe I got my hopes up too much on this film. I was disappointed with Ep7 because it felt too much like a copycat reboot of Ep4. Ep8 to me was worse than Ep7. It just felt like it tried to copy to many things from previous Episodes and just mix matched them together, I dunno, I just didn't like it.
One thing that did make me laugh was when I saw Vivian at the helm of Star Destroyer. I didn't see Neil, Mike or Rik though.

GrailUK

@Octane But...but...she's got Skywalker blood.
@Gerald Luke lifted up an Xwing. If Luke was floating in space, wouldn't he have been moved towards it? It's Star Wars...you can selectively hear things in space! Laser blasts are fine, but a huge starship collision makes no sound. It's fantasy not realism. So suspended disbelief For me it was a great fantasy flick but a poor soap opera...and Star Wars has always been Neighbours in Space.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE ^^

Edited on by GrailUK

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

SilverEdge92

@Octane You could also say that about Luke blowing up the Death Star in Ep. IV (not to mention R2 and BB-8 (and astromech droids in general, I suppose) being universally compatible with and having a solution to everything).

And with Lucas originally intending the Force to be an analogue for God, is that really a problem?

I'm still waiting for the chance to see Ep. VIII again, but the more I reflect on everything the more I feel like TLJ is really nothing more than a glorified, two-and-a-half hour prologue to Ep. IX rather than its own complete story and there needs to be an Ep. X for the "Sequel Trilogy" to be an actual trilogy.

There are also interviews in which Johnson said he did what he did with Snoke and Luke because this is essentially Rey and Kylo's story and he wanted to keep the focus on the new characters. I feel like it's worth mentioning that Atlus said and did the same thing with Tokyo Mirage Sessions and it resulted in Chrom and the other Mirages being borderline inconsequential to the plot. So it seems like that's an inherently detrimental writing philosophy to hold when trying to handle both new and well-established characters in the same story.

SilverEdge92

Nintendo Network ID: SilverEdge92

Octane

@SilverEdge92 That wasn't a deus ex machina. It's established R2 and BB-8 can hack nearly every single device. That's just part of it I guess. Just like how we are all fine the fact that there's gravity in the Millenium Falcon, or any other ship for that matter. Those are the established rules of the Star Wars universe. Luke destroying the Death Star is more extreme luck to drive the plot than anything else, that happens in every (Star Wars) film.

Octane

Henmii

@Gerald,

About the training it didn't feel like training at all. It was more of a trip to get Luke on board. She didn't succeed, it was actually Yoda that brought Luke to his senses. Its still weird that Rey is so strong, I definitely feel there's still more to her. She often looks angry, at one scene Kylo kneels before her. Wouldn't surprise me if she is the actual evil, the actual sith-lord! I am serious here

As for Leia as weird as it was, I liked the scene. It had something mystical around it. I personally found the scene where she busts through the door with bandages much more corny. And that scene with Finn's watery suit, awful. Now that we are talking about strange things, supposedly there's a scene where a laserbeam from a spaceship curves. I missed it, but that's impossible. Okay, there are some sloppy things in this new trilogy. Things that would never happen with George Lucas at the helm, that's just the truth. Still I found the movie entertaining and it felt fresh to me

That this site still doesn't have a proper spoiler-tag is a shame!

Henmii

Haru17

subpopz wrote:

Changes depictions of core characters

Hey look, a verbatim definition of character development.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic