Forums

Topic: Everything Star Wars discussion thread| How you doing, you old pirate?

Posts 481 to 500 of 1,108

Dezzy

shaneoh wrote:

Inconsistencies aren't limited to the prequels.

Indeed.

Kenobi- "I don't remember ever owning any droids."

Me- "Well I think you probably should. You spoke to them both about 1000 times."

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Klimbatize

So when you guys watch a movie, you assume every single thing a person says is the truth? What a fascinating way to look at things. People in real life rarely speak the literal truth 100% of the time, so why assume movie characters aren't the same?

See, when I watch films, I realize that people lie, just like in real life, for a variety of reasons. To convince, to persuade, to hide, to test, to do any number of things. Clearly Obi Wan bends the truth, but some people can't figure that out?

Obi Wan is a mentor. Mentors use lies (or omissions, if we want to be nice) to push and prod students in the right direction. Hey, maybe he didn't want to reveal entire truths just yet. Maybe he thought he may be able to keep up the ruse of some anti-social hermit so he claims not to know anything about droids. Once he sees the message things change.

I don't know, some of you take things waaaaaaaaaay too literal and seem to lack the imagination to fill in the holes that would be impossible to fill during the limited amount of time a film has to tell an in-depth story. The movie would be a boring slog if they had to explain every single detail between one set of trilogies to the other.

Edited on by Klimbatize

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road.

3DS FC: 1332 7785 4494

LaserdiscGal

Klimbatize wrote:

So when you guys watch a movie, you assume every single thing a person says is the truth? What a fascinating way to look at things. People in real life rarely speak the literal truth 100% of the time, so why assume movie characters aren't the same?

See, when I watch films, I realize that people lie, just like in real life, for a variety of reasons. To convince, to persuade, to hide, to test, to do any number of things. Clearly Obi Wan bends the truth, but some people can't figure that out?

Obi Wan is a mentor. Mentors use lies (or omissions, if we want to be nice) to push and prod students in the right direction. Hey, maybe he didn't want to reveal entire truths just yet. Maybe he thought he may be able to keep up the ruse of some anti-social hermit so he claims not to know anything about droids. Once he sees the message things change.

I don't know, some of you take things waaaaaaaaaay too literal and seem to lack the imagination to fill in the holes that would be impossible to fill during the limited amount of time a film has to tell an in-depth story. The movie would be a boring slog if they had to explain every single detail between one set of trilogies to the other.

Finally, someone else who understands it. I can always rely on ol' Silent Bob

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

jump

If you think these types of gaps and errors are bad try being a comic fan where they have 70 years worth of stories they have to make cohesive!

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

bezerker99

For the record, I think the prequels are bad not because of inconsistencies (as I don't pay attention to stuff like that and it doesn't bother me that much anyways) - I just didn't like the awful CGI (pretty much all of it looks really fake and out of place), the 50 foot Jedi leaps, the word midichlorians, Jar-Jar, I can go on and on as to why I don't like the prequels.

Has nothing to do with "inconsistencies" between the films. Have a nice day, everyone!

gcunit

Dezzy wrote:

shaneoh wrote:

Indeed.

Me- "Well I think you probably should. You spoke to them both about 1000 times."

Just who were these droids and at what point did he own them, and how do you know this?

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

dumedum

Dezzy wrote:

shaneoh wrote:

Indeed.

This is not an OT consistency, it's one of the stupid inconsistencies of the prequels that showed GL paid no attention to what was said in the OT. You got it mixed. Same for Vader and the other guys not remembering the droids. I spelled it out before. And as mentioned, the Vader Killed Your Father bit "inconsistency" I assume was a joke.

Santa wrote:

Actually if you read the Leia miniseries (which is cannon) she does remember padme, but this is due to her being Force Sensitive.

Which solidifies the stupidity of the prequels. She was force sensitive as a baby for the 10 seconds she looked at Padme before she died. Yay for stupidity.

There's hope though. Even ridiculous people like gncuit admit some of the scenes are bizarre (R2D2) while still coming up with preposterous excuses and total misunderstanding about the other stuff though.

It's quite obvious that if GL could, he would go back and change the scene in RoTJ so that Leia would give a more accurate response. He sees the movies as something that he can change all the time as he pleases. That's part of his bizarre behavior. There are scenes he actually inserted in the Special Editions and then deleted back again in DVD re-releases. That is almost psychotic, borderline obsessive-compulsive behavior . It's this bizarre behavior of GL that ruined the PT and attempted to ruin the OT as well.

bezerker99 wrote:

For the record, I think the prequels are bad not because of inconsistencies (as I don't pay attention to stuff like that and it doesn't bother me that much anyways) - I just didn't like the awful CGI (pretty much all of it looks really fake and out of place), the 50 foot Jedi leaps, the word midichlorians, Jar-Jar, I can go on and on as to why I don't like the prequels.

Has nothing to do with "inconsistencies" between the films. Have a nice day, everyone!

You are quite right. The prequels are simply awful on every level possible. It's quite a feat.

The only good things that came out from the prequels:

(1) The original poster for Episode I - that was cool.
(2) The Saga Begins by Weird Al - great song!

Edited on by dumedum

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

shaneoh

Klimbatize wrote:

Indeed.

Santa wrote:

Actually if you read the Leia miniseries (which is cannon) she does remember padme, but this is due to her being Force Sensitive.

There you go, simple explanation. Haven't read it, but I probably should.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

shaneoh

dumedum wrote:

There's hope though. Even ridiculous people like gncuit admit some of the scenes are bizarre (R2D2) while still coming up with preposterous excuses and total misunderstanding about the other stuff though.

About as preposterous as a galaxy of space wizards with laser swords. You take this too personally.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

dumedum

shaneoh wrote:

dumedum wrote:

About as preposterous as a galaxy of space wizards with laser swords. You take this too personally.

I appreciate the original films and like most fans, was very disappointed with the prequels. This is why the Simpsons figured years ago that Episode VII will be called Star Wars: The Apology, and it pretty much was...

Untitled

There you go, simple explanation. Haven't read it, but I probably should.

Seriously dude? And Luke wasn't? And you are okay with this explanation?

Edited on by dumedum

gcunit

dumedum wrote:

preposterous excuses and total misunderstanding

... And you've demonstrated this how?

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

LaserdiscGal

@dumedum you're twisting my words, I never said Leia was force sensitive as a baby, if you're going to rebuttal something I'm mentioning, atleast be familiar with the comic in question.

She has a moment in the comic (which is set Directly after A New Hope, and it's more or less her seeing something her Mother in the Clone Wars, like a phantom image.

Yes I understand it's not the best way to explain a pothole, but it's still better than Georges Inconsistencies.

@Morpheel Consider yourself lucky, it's a Wookie eat Wookie fan base.

Edited on by LaserdiscGal

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

dumedum

Santa wrote:

@dumedum you're twisting my words, I never said Leia was force sensitive as a baby, if you're going to rebuttal something I'm mentioning, atleast be familiar with the comic in question.

She has a moment in the comic (which is set Directly after A New Hope, and it's more or less her seeing something her Mother in the Clone Wars, like a phantom image.
Yes I understand it's not the best way to explain a pothole, but it's still better than Georges Inconsistencies.

Sorry, I never heard this explained this way... I assumed you meant as a baby, I heard that before.I think if you asked Lucas though he would just change ROTJ. That stuff doesn't seem to bother him. By that way, that whole Padme dying scene,did that make sense to you? Another low point of the PT I'd say. She lost the will to live when giving birth to twins and still thinking there's good in Anakin.

LaserdiscGal

@dumedum honestly Padme dying didn't bug me that much, plenty of people die when they lose a loved one.

One noticeable example would be Johnny Cash after his wife died.

LaserdiscGal

dumedum

Santa wrote:

@dumedum honestly Padme dying didn't bug me that much, plenty of people die when they lose a loved one.

Obi Wan doesn't tell her he died I think.

jump

If you want to talk about big plot holes and errors someone explain to me why there's dinosaurs in Citizen Kane!!!

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Klimbatize

bezerker99 wrote:

Thank you! The reason the prequels fail isn't because of minutiae about what ships look like or semantics...but because the acting and storytelling is awful.

I still dig them because they're Star Wars though, but I know they aren't good films.

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road.

3DS FC: 1332 7785 4494

dumedum

Klimbatize wrote:

bezerker99 wrote:

Thank you! The reason the prequels fail isn't because of minutiae about what ships look like or semantics...but because the acting and storytelling is awful.

I still dig them because they're Star Wars though, but I know they aren't good films.

It's all in the same boat. If you don't pay attention to your franchise, you're doing a crappy job, and the rest of it - the awful directing, pace etc, it's part of the whole problem - recklessness, amateurishness. Many of the prequels characters are played by excellent actors, it's not their fault. It's the whole operation that was lousy.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic