Forums

Topic: Everything Star Wars discussion thread| How you doing, you old pirate?

Posts 421 to 440 of 1,108

iKhan

arronishere wrote:

Although I do find it odd that Ren doesn't look anything like his parents, my theory is it's due to inbreeding and Luke and Leia got it on behind Han's back which would explain why he decided he had enough and went to get a pack of smokes to never return like a dead beat Dad as the only fanservice throwback moment missing was the incest love triangle.

I think it's because Adam Driver is not the son of Harrison Ford and Carrie Fischer. Just a hunch though

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Octane

iKhan wrote:

Disagree with that. People like to act like the prequels did nothing right, and that's just not true.

As much as I like TFA, it's biggest flaws likely stemmed from an over-avoidance of the prequels. We don't get to see the grand new republic that blossomed from Return of the Jedi. We don't get to see many cool new environments like Mustafar or Naboo. And we don't get the intense, action pact lightsaber fights like in Phantom Menace or Revenge of the Sith.

You need to clarify the bolded part, I don't see how the prequels and Return of the Jedi are related.

I don't mind if all of episode 7 took place on a desert planet. We got to see Jakku, a desert planet; Takodana, a planet covered in lush forests; and we got to see a bit of Ahch-To. Oh, and let's not forget the icy surface of Starkiller Base. There was plenty of variety in environments. I still stand by my original point though, I'd rather not see the film try to thick all the boxes for variety in environments, it's far more realistic when it doesn't. Mustafar was also the most unrealistic thing in Revenge of the Sith. I understand there's a bit of leeway in the Star Wars universe with what's possible and not, but standing on the surface of Mustafar alone would probably cause spontaneous combustion.

The lightsaber battles were probably the most realistic we've seen as well. I didn't like all of the jumping and somersaulting in the prequel battles.

Octane

AlliMeadow

Octane wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Disagree with that. People like to act like the prequels did nothing right, and that's just not true.

As much as I like TFA, it's biggest flaws likely stemmed from an over-avoidance of the prequels. We don't get to see the grand new republic that blossomed from Return of the Jedi. We don't get to see many cool new environments like Mustafar or Naboo. And we don't get the intense, action pact lightsaber fights like in Phantom Menace or Revenge of the Sith.

You need to clarify the bolded part, I don't see how the prequels and Return of the Jedi are related.

I don't mind if all of episode 7 took place on a desert planet. We got to see Jakku, a desert planet; Takodana, a planet covered in lush forests; and we got to see a bit of Ahch-To. Oh, and let's not forget the icy surface of Starkiller Base. There was plenty of variety in environments. I still stand by my original point though, I'd rather not see the film try to thick all the boxes for variety in environments, it's far more realistic when it doesn't. Mustafar was also the most unrealistic thing in Revenge of the Sith. I understand there's a bit of leeway in the Star Wars universe with what's possible and not, but standing on the surface of Mustafar alone would probably cause spontaneous combustion.

The lightsaber battles were probably the most realistic we've seen as well. I didn't like all of the jumping and somersaulting in the prequel battles.

You don't get too far with the realism argument when discussing a sic-fi movie, because in that case I could say that the Empire Strikes Back is bad because Hoth is way too cold for them to build a base on, Yoda shouldn't be alive, a city floating in the skies isn't realistic, etc. and we all know that Empire Strikes Back is a good movie.

AlliMeadow

Nintendo Network ID: Alli-V-Meadow

Vinny

What's with all these absurd theories recently? Snoke is actually Darth Plagueis, Rey is Kenobi's daughter (wut), Snoke is a force ghost and the worst of them: Snoke is Kylo Ren from the future. Really, time travel in Star Wars? Why can't people accept that Snoke is just a new character?

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

Dave24

Vinny wrote:

Rey is Kenobi's daughter (wut)

LOLZORZ!

Now I know why this movie breaks the records.

Dave24

Octane

@AlliMeadow: That wasn't the point I was making though. First of all, let me say that the locations are by far not the worst problems with Revenge of the Sith. Star Wars doesn't need to thick all the boxes in terms of environments, like video games do for example. There's nothing wrong with a second desert planet, or a second ice planet. The entire lava/volcano world trope for the last showdown has been done to death; It's predictable and boring. Not saying it should never be done again, but Star Wars certainly doesn't need it.

Not sure what you mean by Hoth is ''too cold'', it's comparable to our North Pole; It's cold, but not too cold to temporarily live on.

Octane

Dezzy

Vinny wrote:

What's with all these absurd theories recently? Snoke is actually Darth Plagueis, Rey is Kenobi's daughter (wut), Snoke is a force ghost and the worst of them: Snoke is Kylo Ren from the future. Really, time travel in Star Wars? Why can't people accept that Snoke is just a new character?

Cos Snoke being Darth Plagueis would be a good twist. It would link it all up with the rest of the story. It would also explain why someone we assume is a Sith himself had remained behind the scenes for the original trilogy: he wanted Sidious to think he was dead.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Vinny

@Dezzy: Yeah, the Plagueis theory isn't so absurd like the others I've mentioned but I really doubt it. First, because it was a character only mentioned in the prequels and Disney knows how much people hate them. Andy Serkis, the guy who plays Snoke also denied it.

Edited on by Vinny

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

iKhan

Octane wrote:

iKhan wrote:

I'm hoping Episode VIII remedies this, but from where the series is now, the Force Awakens almost completely invalidates the happy ending of Return of the Jedi. I think that the main reason they went this route is that they wanted to avoid creating a vast developed universe like the prequels had. They literally show a scene destroying a large city like the ones we saw in the prequels.

Jakku looks like Tatooine, and Takodana looks like Naboo on a way smaller scale. Starkiller Base's surface is pretty cool, but we don't see much of it.

As someone else said, Mustafar is no less realistic than pretty much everything else in the star wars franchise. Drawing power from a sun is completely infeasible. The icy planet of Hoth may be way too frigid. The chances of Luke just happening upon the particular spot in Dagobah where Yoda was are incredibly small. I can do this all day. Star Wars isn't Sci-Fi, it's science fantasy.

The prequel battles weren't necessarily unrealistic. They were just way faster paced (minus the ridiculous part in the Anakin v. Obi-Wan fight where they spin their lightsabers around at each other for a solid 5 seconds). Now, I agree that Rey and Finn probably couldn't fight as stylistically as before, but Kylo sure could. I think they should have kept the choreography, but slowed it down.

Also, remember, a movie is supposed to be fun. The first lightsaber fight in the series was a complete snooze. I don't might losing a bit of realism to make those more interesting.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

crimsontadpoles

Yay, finally watched The Force Awakens. It was very enjoyable, I'd even put it up there with A New Hope. Maybe it's just because it was the first time I've ever watched a Star Wars film at the cinema, but this one felt extra special to me.

Edit: Now I no longer have to actively avoid spoilers on the internet

Edited on by crimsontadpoles

My Anime List
I want you to make contracts with me and become magical girls!

Switch Friend Code: SW-5487-8712-2210 | 3DS Friend Code: 2165-5759-7889 | Nintendo Network ID: crimsontadpoles

Octane

iKhan wrote:

I'm hoping Episode VIII remedies this, but from where the series is now, the Force Awakens almost completely invalidates the happy ending of Return of the Jedi. I think that the main reason they went this route is that they wanted to avoid creating a vast developed universe like the prequels had. They literally show a scene destroying a large city like the ones we saw in the prequels.

Jakku looks like Tatooine, and Takodana looks like Naboo on a way smaller scale. Starkiller Base's surface is pretty cool, but we don't see much of it.

As someone else said, Mustafar is no less realistic than pretty much everything else in the star wars franchise. Drawing power from a sun is completely infeasible. The icy planet of Hoth may be way too frigid. The chances of Luke just happening upon the particular spot in Dagobah where Yoda was are incredibly small. I can do this all day. Star Wars isn't Sci-Fi, it's science fantasy.

The prequel battles weren't necessarily unrealistic. They were just way faster paced (minus the ridiculous part in the Anakin v. Obi-Wan fight where they spin their lightsabers around at each other for a solid 5 seconds). Now, I agree that Rey and Finn probably couldn't fight as stylistically as before, but Kylo sure could. I think they should have kept the choreography, but slowed it down.

Also, remember, a movie is supposed to be fun. The first lightsaber fight in the series was a complete snooze. I don't might losing a bit of realism to make those more interesting.

Well, of course it does. Else there isn't much reason for a sequel. It has been explained that the First Order has been working in secrecy for a good amount of time. I'm sure more the history will be revealed in the other films. It's also one of the reasons why all the books aren't considered canon anymore. With so many stories to take in account, it's impossible to not screw up and it makes things way too complicated.

I'd argue that there's a difference between chance and luck (a rhetorical device used to drive most films) and standing on lava. I'm fine with impossible stuff like drawing power from the sun, because I can somehow imagine that being possible. But being a foot removed from an immense lake of lava, that's going to burn you in seconds, no matter what you're made of. I think I've said it before, but Hoth is too cold, its temperatures are comparable to that of the North Pole. We've built bases on the North Pole, so that's completely possible.

I'll admit, the original films didn't have amazing lightsaber battles either, the props they used wouldn't allow for a more spectacular fight, however I'd prefer something in-between; Good pacing, but not too fast, and I certainly don't want it to look like a ballet, with the characters jumping around all the time.

Octane

iKhan

Octane wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Well, of course it does. Else there isn't much reason for a sequel. It has been explained that the First Order has been working in secrecy for a good amount of time. I'm sure more the history will be revealed in the other films. It's also one of the reasons why all the books aren't considered canon anymore. With so many stories to take in account, it's impossible to not screw up and it makes things way too complicated.

That's my problem. It's going to be a history. We've already had 3 Star Wars movies that are set in rough desperate times and reveal the past over time. I want to see some sense of progress from Return of the Jedi, not "everything went to crap somehow, and we have to build it back up again".

Lately, I've been thinking of how I would have made TFA more original, and one of the things I'd have wanted to do is start in the New Republic, and show Kylo Ren's turn to the Dark Side over time. Not like the prequels, though. This time, we don't know what is going to happen, so the turn would be a surprise and a painful shock.

Octane

@iKhan: I understand, but the moments of desperation are arguably the most exciting times. It's the reason why films don't get another direct sequel after they've ''beaten the bad guy''. It's interesting if you're deeply invested in the lore of Star Wars, but for the general public it's not.

Octane

iKhan

Octane wrote:

I understand, but the moments of desperation are arguably the most exciting times. It's the reason why films don't get another direct sequel after they've ''beaten the bad guy''. It's interesting if you're deeply invested in the lore of Star Wars, but for the general public it's not.

Sure, but the desperation doesn't have to be your starting point. The Harry Potter franchise begins with an escalating conflict, and in my opinion, it's better for it. Being able to get to know the world makes the moments where it all goes to hell way more suspenseful and the moments when it is fixed more relieving.

Haru17

Vinny wrote:

...Rey is Kenobi's daughter (wut)...

I would actually be okay with that. Luke's daughter would piss me off, Han / Leia's daughter would be too obvious, but Kenobi would be okay and explain her force sensitivity.

Spoilers follow, but c'mon at this point:

And, by the way, that scene where Rey force pulls the lightsaber to her, slices the fallen tree in half, and centers herself while in blade lock with Kylo, her face glowing with bits of snow and colored purple as the two lightsabers mix and flare unstably?

That's the best damn scene in Star Wars for me. So pretty, such great music and choreography. That. I'm okay with this damnable zombie nostalgia franchise taking the place of new ideas if we can just get more of that.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

LaserdiscGal

Okay first of all, Rey can't be Obi-Wan's daughter, the ages wouldn't match up.

Granddaughter I could see, but I'm still banking on Luke's daughter or she's unrelated to anyone.

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

shaneoh

Santa wrote:

Okay first of all, Rey can't be Obi-Wan's daughter, the ages wouldn't match up.

Unless force ghosts can interact with the physical world to a larger degree than we know... a disturbing avenue to traverse.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

gcunit

shaneoh wrote:

Unless force ghosts can interact with the physical world to a larger degree than we know... a disturbing avenue to traverse.

Particularly disturbing if you were to wake in the night to find Ghost Yoda humping you...

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Tempestryke

The movie was okay. I was not that interested in going to see it, but my boyfriend dragged me. I'm a big SW fan, I'm just not a fan of Disney SW. Wasn't terrible just meh. Not looking forward to the inevitable sequel.

Tempestryke

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic