Forums

Topic: Everything Star Wars discussion thread| How you doing, you old pirate?

Posts 381 to 400 of 1,108

the_shpydar

Caryslan wrote:

Also, am I the only one who was not bothered with the Midi-chlorian idea?

No, i agree with you on that point. The midichlorian thing, though not "necessary", did not in anyway de-mystify the Force, nor did it say that the Force was just microscopic bacteria in your blood. Unfortunately, people just didn't understand the concept they were trying to get across (admittedly, it was not really explained that well), and jumped on a hate-train when it was unwarranted.

@Santa
I like Eraserhead too. Of course, i absolutely love David Lynch's stuff in general, and Eraserhead is basically pure, undiluted Lynchian madness.

Edited on by the_shpydar

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

Caryslan

SpookyMeths wrote:

I recently watched a fan edit of the prequels. Condensed the whole trilogy down into a single 2.5 hour movie.

It cut out The Phantom Menace almost entirely, featuring only Qui Gon's death, Obi-wan defeating Maul, and then promising to Qui Gon that he'll train the boy.

It then cut Attack of the Clones down to under an hour, removing almost all of the "romance" scenes between Anakin and Padme and restoring the deleted scene with Padme's family. Ironically, this actually resulted in a stronger love story. What's left is just an establishment that the two of them are friends and they naturally grow closer to each other through relevant story events. No more creepy Anakin scenes, cringy romantic dialogue, or his psycho tantrum where he tells Padme that he slaughtered all of the Sand People. It also cut out most of Dooku and the final action sequences on Geonosis.

So more than half of the cut was Revenge of the Sith, but even that had heavy cuts and trimming, particularly Anakin's dialogue again. Grievous and all references to him were cut, which was the biggest omission.

All in all, it was a pretty good cut. It simplified and made Anakin's motivations for turning to the dark side much more clear, made him a more likable character in general and his romance with Padme more believable, the politics are cut or streamlined, etc. The story is very focused on Anakin while Obi-wan and Padme have a more background role. My only complaints are that with all of the dialogue cut, there were still a few lines left in that I would have removed towards the end of Revenge of the Sith. The Kamino scenes from AotC were also a little too trimmed for my liking.

I'd give it a 7/10. Acting is still detached, effects are still questionable, and chemistry between leads is still lacking. Not perfect, but a much more cohesive story than George gave us.

More info

Why would anyone cut out Dooku or General Grevious' scenes? Not only are they important to the prequel movies(Both are the leaders of the CIS), but they were some of the best parts of the prequel movies.

Also, why would you cut out the final part of Attack of the Clones? You know, the part that starts the Clone Wars in the Star Wars Universe?

I can understand the cuts to stuff like the pod racing, Anakin/Padame romance, and Jar Jar Binks, but some of the cut scenes make no sense.

Why not just cut out the clone wars as a whole and just have only the Anakin Parts if you're going to remove the Senate Scenes where Palpatine comes to power(which leads to the Clone Wars, and the empire), the Jedi Concil scenes where they refuse to train Anakin at first because they fear his history of being a slave would make him dangerous, or the parts where Dooku justifies the planets that leave the republic due to the corruption in the government.

All these things are important, and they all lead to the downfall of the Jedi Order, Anakin's downfall to the Dark Side, and the Republic turning into an Empire.

I'm not opposed to edits to the prequel movies, but some of them don't make sense.

Caryslan

Haru17

dumedum wrote:

...everybody has a replacement, nobody is important... to me this is sickening.

How can you even type that with a straight face? They went to great pains to not recast anyone, getting the original cast back again. They even killed off Han Solo at Ford's behest because he didn't want to play the role anymore—what you call him "wanting nothing to do with it."

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

dumedum

@Caryslan there's nothing annoying about Ewoks. They're adorable. ROTJ is my favorite. Jar Jar is obnoxious big difference .

@Haru17 you're way off. We are talking about the planned horrible Han Solo prequels, not the fantastic Episode VII.

I don't like the prequels, mostly because some of the acting was horrible and the dialogue, and it was too convoluted and had horrible CGI, all things that Episode VII fixed, but I don't think they're "ignoring" the prequels. They're just not relevant. They're a long time in the past now. Yes, Abrams made a point to emphasize what the Force is, but like people said, there's not a real contradiction there in the first place. So I don't see what's this ignoring about...

Edited on by dumedum

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

Octane

@dumedum: I'll admit that it is weird to watch a movie about Han Solo, when the main actor doesn't look like Han Solo. There are a couple of people that look and sound exactly like Harrison Ford. If they manage to find a good actor who looks like Solo, I'm not too worried.

Octane

CaviarMeths

I'm less worried about the Han Solo movie because Phil Lord and Christopher Miller are helming it. Those two put in consistently good work. If all was right with the world though, they'd be taking over Spider-Man. Perfect fit.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

WiiWareWave

Are there any worthwhile Star Wars games on the original Wii? I've done a little research, but I can't find enough info to feel safe purchasing any of those games at present so any info would be appreciated.

Owner of http://www.WiiWareWave.com

PSN ID: Rukiafan7
NNID: Rukiafan7
Switch FC: SW-6328-7327-5891 ~WiiWareWav~

Switch Friend Code: SW-6328-7327-5891 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiafan7 | Twitter:

shaneoh

Neko_Ichigofan wrote:

Are there any worthwhile Star Wars games on the original Wii? I've done a little research, but I can't find enough info to feel safe purchasing any of those games at present so any info would be appreciated.

LEGO Star Wars and not much else

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

CaviarMeths

Neko_Ichigofan wrote:

YMMV, but Force Unleashed was pretty fun.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Vinny

I've watched the Clone Wars (2003) cartoon and I found it incredible. Is the CG one worth watching?

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

ThePirateCaptain

@Vinny
I haven't seen all of it, but the Clone Wars TV show is pretty good. I think it takes awhile to hit its stride, but I'd say it's worth checking out.

Edited on by ThePirateCaptain

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

Klimbatize

After two viewings, I rank it as my third favorite Star Wars film. Yes, it's very rehashed, but I honestly don't care. It's fun and entertaining, and the next two should build nicely on this one.

I've seen some theories that Solo isn't really dead, and although my heart wants to believe that, I think it would be a bad move to not have that death mean something. Besides, that wouldn't really fit the tone of these movies. They aren't like comic books in that way, where people come back from the dead and crap like that. Well, except as ghosts.

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road.

3DS FC: 1332 7785 4494

bezerker99

My boss lady bought everyone here at work a ticket to see Star Wars and is taking us to see it TODAY!!! The limousine picks us up in an hour!!!

This will be my second viewin' of the film.

May the Schwartz be with you all today~

Edited on by bezerker99

adamkop

Going to see this one again as well. Anyone watched it in both 3D and 2D and could tell me if it's worth paying the extra price? 3DS has spoiled me on the 3D so if it's average then I'll pass.

adamkop

GamecubeMan

I thought the plot point recycling was very cool albeit kinda play the nostalgia card.

GCN 3.9
Gamecubeloggery
Forget the Nintendo seal of approval
My

3DS Friend Code: 1934-1104-3407 | Twitter:

the_shpydar

@bezerker99:
Very nice!

I saw it on opening day ... i had to be in court in Brooklyn in the morning, and i was on the phone with my boss talking about some work to do later in the day and he was all like "What? I assumed you were taking the rest of the day off for Star Wars!" After i got back from Brooklyn, he asked me to come into the office — but just so he could give me my Christmas bonus check and then said, "Ok, get out of here, go see Star Wars!"

Hooray for cool bosses!

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

Klimbatize

@adamkop: I saw it in both, and I preferred the 3D version. I'm a big fan of 3D though, and other people I was with didn't seem to care at all. I think it's just personal preference if you like 3D. It's done well in this movie. Also, I'm lucky because the theater I go to keeps the screen bright for 3D films, which makes a difference.

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road.

3DS FC: 1332 7785 4494

adamkop

@Klimbatize
Well both cinemas in my city have brand-new screens (3 and 2 years old) so I guess the display won't be a problem. Now if I have the time to go see 3D I will try to convince people to do so.

adamkop

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic