Forums

Topic: Everything Star Wars discussion thread| How you doing, you old pirate?

Posts 361 to 380 of 1,108

CaviarMeths

Peek-a-boo wrote:

SpookyMeths: Is there any other way I can watch the two and a half hours fan edit of the prequels, other than on PC?

Fan edits of Star Wars seem to have been aggressively removed from the internet. Seems Disney doesn't want you watching them, even if you legally own a copy of the movies.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

AlliMeadow

The biggest problem with fan-edits is how bad movies they make. Don't get me wrong, for a Star Wars fan who knows the plot, story and characters a fan-edit can be interesting, but take this fan-edit for instance. It starts with a 5 minute duel between three characters we have no knowledge of. It spends 5 minutes on action where we have no clue as to why they fight, thus losing all motivation and also sympathy for the characters. I don't care at all when Qui-gon dies. Fan-edits are interesting enough for fans, but they are way worse movies than the actual movies themselves in most cases, including this one.

AlliMeadow

Nintendo Network ID: Alli-V-Meadow

Rogueleader0908

This movie was amazing. I saw it yesterday and I am planning on seeing it again this week. The effects were amazing along with the music and actors. The way it was shot felt like a blend of styles between the prequels and original trilogy. Daisy Ridley performance stole the show and BB-8 and Poes relationship was amazing. Now this gets me excited for episode VIII.

Rogueleader0908

Nintendo Network ID: Rogueleader0908

CaviarMeths

AlliMeadow wrote:

The biggest problem with fan-edits is how bad movies they make. Don't get me wrong, for a Star Wars fan who knows the plot, story and characters a fan-edit can be interesting, but take this fan-edit for instance. It starts with a 5 minute duel between three characters we have no knowledge of. It spends 5 minutes on action where we have no clue as to why they fight, thus losing all motivation and also sympathy for the characters. I don't care at all when Qui-gon dies. Fan-edits are interesting enough for fans, but they are way worse movies than the actual movies themselves in most cases, including this one.

Doesn't matter. You don't need to care. Qui Gon isn't an important character anyway, in the grand scheme of things. The only thing he does of note is tell Obi-wan to train Anakin, which is in the fan cut. He's also the first Force Ghost, but that's not an important detail and could have been cut. It's just one of about 80 unnecessary nods to the original films.

Normally, I would agree that cutting 415 minutes of footage down to 160 would result in huge gaps and a terrible, incomprehensible story, but in the case of Star Wars prequels... it was pretty much all just filler and pointless action scenes anyway. Or in the case of Attack of the Clones, about an hour of terrible romance that actually better serves the story by being left on the cutting room floor.

The Hobbit could use the same treatment.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

GamecubeMan

@LztheQuack The whole prequel trilogy's tone took itself way too serious. As a result, the dialogue was stiff and cheesy, the plot was all over the place and villains were often cookie cutter making all the villains feel the same. Also, besides the iconic DO IT line, has anyone noticed how hilarious Palputine's voice inflections are throughout Episode III? :3

GCN 3.9
Gamecubeloggery
Forget the Nintendo seal of approval
My

3DS Friend Code: 1934-1104-3407 | Twitter:

AlliMeadow

SpookyMeths wrote:

Doesn't matter. You don't need to care. Qui Gon isn't an important character anyway, in the grand scheme of things. The only thing he does of note is tell Obi-wan to train Anakin, which is in the fan cut. He's also the first Force Ghost, but that's not an important detail and could have been cut. It's just one of about 80 unnecessary nods to the original films.

It does matter. The first five minutes of film is everything. If you have a good opening scene you can get away with so much rubbish, and with a bad opening scene, you're lucky if people actually do notice the good things. Having an opening scene that establishes zero sympathy for the situation or characters is one of the worst things you can do in film. I know it doesn't matter to some people, but speaking from a dramaturgical point of view, it matters a lot.

SpookyMeths wrote:

Normally, I would agree that cutting 415 minutes of footage down to 160 would result in huge gaps and a terrible, incomprehensible story, but in the case of Star Wars prequels... it was pretty much all just filler and pointless action scenes anyway. Or in the case of Attack of the Clones, about an hour of terrible romance that actually better serves the story by being left on the cutting room floor.

I don't disagree that the prequel trilogy has its flaws and that a lot could have been changed. What I am saying is that fan-edits are usually worse because the makers of those don't understand the dramaturgical structure of storytelling. There is a reason that people educate themselves in storytelling craftsmanship. Because it is a craftsmanship, and not nearly as subjective as many believe, although as an audience member some things comes down to taste and past experience.

Sorry, I didn't mean to derail the topic, I just found the concept of a fan-edit so interesting.

AlliMeadow

dumedum

Really enjoyed the movie. It was emotional, nostalgic and funny. But as good as it is, future doesn't look bright. The success of this film is going to be too much exploited. The worst? The announced Han Solo prequels with a different actor - how awful. A Star Wars movie every year... that's not just milking the cow, that's butchering it. Not really looking forward to the future here. Episode VIII and IX might still turn out nice, but there was something unique about this one... even though the premise when you think about it is terrible.... Anakin after all brought balance to the Force, right? But it's just something special seeing characters reprise their roles after such a long time for the first time - unprecedented.

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

Octane

@dumedum: I believe the spin-off movies aren't going to be your typical Star Wars movies. Upcoming Rogue One movie has been compared to movies about the Vietnam War. I don't know what to think of it, but if it's different enough, I don't think there's a problem.

Octane

dumedum

@Octane That one sounds reasonable, but I won't be able to tolerate a different actor playing a young Han. I think that's stupid, makes no sense because it's not a soap opera - the guy is going to look different (!), it's disrespectful, it's another stupid unnecessary sort of reboot, it's a cash grab, it's awful.

Haru17

SpookyMeths wrote:

The Hobbit could use the same treatment.

The Hobbit was a perfect child of fan service, shush. A rul, rul short beauty boy.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

AlliMeadow

dumedum wrote:

@Octane That one sounds reasonable, but I won't be able to tolerate a different actor playing a young Han. I think that's stupid, makes no sense because it's not a soap opera - the guy is going to look different (!), it's disrespectful, it's another stupid unnecessary sort of reboot, it's a cash grab, it's awful.

How is it disrespectful? Sure, it's a cash grab, but for all we know someone actually had a good idea for a screenplay about just this kind of movie. And who cares if the guy looks different? Lots of shows and movie series change actors during the series for several reasons. It doesn't make i bad. Let's just wait and see how it turns out, if it turns out good, good for us. If it turns out bad, who cares?

AlliMeadow

dumedum

AlliMeadow wrote:

dumedum wrote:

How is it disrespectful? Sure, it's a cash grab, but for all we know someone actually had a good idea for a screenplay about just this kind of movie. And who cares if the guy looks different? Lots of shows and movie series change actors during the series for several reasons. It doesn't make i bad. Let's just wait and see how it turns out, if it turns out good, good for us. If it turns out bad, who cares?

It's disrespectful towards Harrison Ford and his character. It's just not done by decent people. It's not like his character was based on some book or something.. he made the character. It's not something so iconic that you have to keep going back to like Superman or Batman. It's simply Han = Ford and Ford = Han. Let it be for crying out loud. It totally pisses over the legacy and the importance of the original movies... everybody has a replacement, nobody is important... to me this is sickening. And I bet I'm not the only one. Ford himself said that he wants nothing to do with it... he knew how disgusting this whole idea is. Never going to watch it, that's for sure.

Edited on by dumedum

AlliMeadow

dumedum wrote:

AlliMeadow wrote:

dumedum wrote:

It's disrespectful towards Harrison Ford and his character. It's just not done by decent people. It's not like his character was based on some book or something.. he made the character. It's not something so iconic that you have to keep going back to like Superman or Batman. It's simply Han = Ford and Ford = Han. Let it be for crying out loud. It totally pisses over the legacy and the importance of the original movies... everybody has a replacement, nobody is important... to me this is sickening. And I bet I'm not the only one. Ford himself said that he wants nothing to do with it... he knew how disgusting this whole idea is. Never going to watch it, that's for sure.

I get that you don't like the idea for such a movie and that you don't want to watch it. Nevertheless I don't think it has anything to do with the creators disrespecting the character or the original actor. The idea to me seems to be more of a love letter to the character. Someone likes the character enough to create a movie about him, that is not disrespect in my eyes. It is more like the opposite.

I'm going to watch the movie. Hopefully it will turn out good, worst case scenario it is bad, and I won't see it again. Simple as that.

AlliMeadow

dumedum

Agree to disagree. I do feel strongly about this travesty.

LaserdiscGal

@WaveGhoul

I actually enjoyed Eraserhead, but that's just me I suppose.

Also a reminder, please don't swear

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

LzWinky

WaveGhoul wrote:

Surprisingly, I still haven't seen it yet as excited as I am, plus I've managed to avoid ALL spoilers

Spoiler alert: Jar Jar returns and is the main character, then dies as if he was never in the movie

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

LaserdiscGal

If only Lz...if only...

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

LzWinky

I do think it's funny how the new movie doesn't even acknowledge the second trilogy. The Force goes back to a mysterious enigma. Jar Jar doesn't exist. Etc. etc.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Shinion

Watched it today for the first time, absolutely loved it. Will definitely watch it once more at the cinema and will eventually lose count of how many times I'll have watched the DVD just like all the other Star Wars films. Yes, even the prequels, I truly enjoyed them for what they were and shared Lucas' vision, if I'll admit the execution was flawed. This was an all together different case though, the vision was very safe and somewhat predictable yet the exceution of it was fantastic. Rey, Reyn, BB-8, Finn all will become immediate favourites and rightly so. Roll on episode 8!

Shinion

Caryslan

LztheQuack wrote:

I do think it's funny how the new movie doesn't even acknowledge the second trilogy. The Force goes back to a mysterious enigma. Jar Jar doesn't exist. Etc. etc.

Which in my opinion is kinda of a shame since the prequel movies did bring some good ideas to the table, even if bad things like Jar Jar Binks did show up(Although to be fair, the Orginal Trilogy gave us teddy bears that could somehow beat the most powerful army in the galaxy with primitive weapons)

So, both trilogies have their annoying kid friendly characters. The Ewoks just happen to be slghtly better then Jar Jar in that regard.

Also, am I the only one who was not bothered with the Midi-chlorian idea? I'll admit it could have been explained better, but I always viewed it in the same way as Ki in Dragon Ball or Chakra in Naruto where it was a way for the characters could manifest their abilites, their potental could be detected, and also why certain characters could not use those abilites.

I just always accepted Midi-chlorians as the Star Wars version of Ki or Chakra where only certain people could control those abilites and certain people had greater potental to use that power. About the only real difference is the idea that Ki and Chakra are considered internal energy, while the Force is a form of energy that surronds everyone with Midi-chlorians deciding how much of it a person can use.

I think its a shame to just ignore the prequels. Even if you don't like the movies, we do have three movies and an entire TV series that has these ideas in place. Why ignore them now?

Caryslan

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic