Forums

Topic: Everything Star Wars discussion thread| How you doing, you old pirate?

Posts 341 to 360 of 1,108

Henmii

@Peek-a-boo,

Sorry, I didn't know (and I still don't know). That's why I said spoiler: So that people could skip it if they wanted too. I know that's hard, but still...

Henmii

CaviarMeths

Kylo Ren was great.

Love how they really played up the "fear" aspect of the dark side. Throughout the whole movie, Kylo is terrified. Scared that he'll never be as strong as Vader, scared of Rey, scared of not having direction from the Supreme Leader, scared of being emotionally attached to his father, just through and through scared. Adam Driver also did a fantastic job of conveying the emotions of the character. Fear, anger, hate, it's all there. He's the Anakin we should have gotten in the prequels.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

shingi_70

Perfection.gif

Had a huge grin all while the movie was going which only stopped when I got a bit teary eyed during the middle.

My really only complaints were alot of ideas and thing introduced and not really expounded upon, and Rey going from awesome to even more awesome.

So I'm still unsure if Finn is a force user yet, movie seemed to hint at it.

Need more time to divest it.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Eel

I watched the movie yesternight, I only recently watched most of the original movies, enough to understand the back story and lore, and I really enjoyed this new one it's quite good compared to the older ones.

I found the Solo-Rei relationship, and her development of Jedi powers, to be a bit rushed, and the main Omg shocking moment was a bit too obvious (it was pretty clear what he meant by "I must do something but I don't know if I can, please help me"), but I also really enjoyed every moment with Finn and Mr Adorable Toy Seller. It was overall a really fun movie.

I got a BB-8 bottle in the cinema (like this one) , it's really cute and nicely made. A bit random in concept, but it's the closest thing I'll ever have to a toy of him so I'll treasure it.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

GamecubeMan

I can honestly say that Star Wars Episode VII is my favorite movie of all time.
The whole movie is a swan song to episode IV and even V. Strom Troopers attacking is the first scene,evil villain comes in looking for droid with vital info. New Characters meet and old wise established character, character confronts evil family member and friend and established wise old charcter dies and force prodigy is offered by villain to join him. Also base goes bye bye. I also have a couple of predictions. One is that Han Solo is still alive. Reason being is because people have survived light saber wounds and also because Leia barely reacted when her husband supposedly died! Also Kylo Ren and that force girl that I cant remember her name for some reason are probably brother and sister, my thoughts are, well because her force abilities are amazing and because well, she had visions of Luke yelling no after the fact his dad told him the news. Coincidence. I think not!

Edited on by GamecubeMan

GCN 3.9
Gamecubeloggery
Forget the Nintendo seal of approval
My

3DS Friend Code: 1934-1104-3407 | Twitter:

shaneoh

Unlike the Avengers (trash) and Avatar (dull), The Force Awakens actually lived up to the hype. I imagine that what I felt watching it was what the people who watched A New Hope all those years ago felt. My favourite SW movie so far.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

Octane

@GamecubeMan:
I don't think Rey is the daughter of Han Solo and Leia, that wouldn't make sense. Either one would've recognised her and told her. If anything, she's the daughter of Luke. Harrison Ford is cast for episode 8. Not sure if he's going to make a small cameo or if he's actually coming back.

Octane

adamkop

@shaneoh
Truer words can't be said. Everyone was almost crapping their pants on how good the Avengers was. I rented it and there were a lot of times where I was bored even of the action.
Avatar however disappointed me even more. There is not a single thing that saves this move in my opinion, other than the technical aspect of visuals - I was tempted to skip half of the movie . I do not remember a single character and I probably couldn't even tell you how exactly the aliens looked, as I only remember they had some weird ears and tails.
While I could give Avengers a 7 out of 10 because it wasn't a complete borefest, Avatar is no more than 4/10 in my book.
With that said, TFA is a 9 for me, and that's from a guy who hates the prequels (Ep 1 was ok and 3 wasn't bad, but Attack of the Clones was just terrible) and thinks that even the original trilogy has boring moments (and Ep 6 has Jabba disco party).

adamkop

LzWinky

Kylo Ren is a great villain. He is not just a rehash of all the previous villains. He's inexperienced, young, and somewhat stupid and rash. This is fresh imo from the other movies where the villains were calm, collected and quite experienced.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

gcunit

SpookyMeths wrote:

He's the Anakin we should have gotten in the prequels.

I disagree.

Anakin was supposed to be a great Jedi Knight who sold his soul out of desperation for someone he loved. Kylo Ren is a completely different proposition and is based on different motivations which could never have been written into Anakin's story.

Anakin gets harshly criticised as a character, everyone ignoring the fact that they knew what had to happen to him. Kylo Ren is exciting because we don't know what's going to happen to him yet. It's a simple difference between the prequels and all the other films, but a very important one.

@Peek-a-boo HTF can anyone think Fly is one of the best Breaking Bad episodes? It was so annoying.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Octane

@gcunit: Anakin could've turned to the dark side without being an annoying little creep.

Octane

the_shpydar

RE: Anakin ... Anakin's story and Anakin as a character in particular were both great. It was the writing and execution (in terms of acting and directing) that resulted in him being somewhat lacking. Kylo Ren's character and character arc (thus far) are so decidedly different that they can hardly even be compared except in a broad sense.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

CaviarMeths

I recently watched a fan edit of the prequels. Condensed the whole trilogy down into a single 2.5 hour movie.

It cut out The Phantom Menace almost entirely, featuring only Qui Gon's death, Obi-wan defeating Maul, and then promising to Qui Gon that he'll train the boy.

It then cut Attack of the Clones down to under an hour, removing almost all of the "romance" scenes between Anakin and Padme and restoring the deleted scene with Padme's family. Ironically, this actually resulted in a stronger love story. What's left is just an establishment that the two of them are friends and they naturally grow closer to each other through relevant story events. No more creepy Anakin scenes, cringy romantic dialogue, or his psycho tantrum where he tells Padme that he slaughtered all of the Sand People. It also cut out most of Dooku and the final action sequences on Geonosis.

So more than half of the cut was Revenge of the Sith, but even that had heavy cuts and trimming, particularly Anakin's dialogue again. Grievous and all references to him were cut, which was the biggest omission.

All in all, it was a pretty good cut. It simplified and made Anakin's motivations for turning to the dark side much more clear, made him a more likable character in general and his romance with Padme more believable, the politics are cut or streamlined, etc. The story is very focused on Anakin while Obi-wan and Padme have a more background role. My only complaints are that with all of the dialogue cut, there were still a few lines left in that I would have removed towards the end of Revenge of the Sith. The Kamino scenes from AotC were also a little too trimmed for my liking.

I'd give it a 7/10. Acting is still detached, effects are still questionable, and chemistry between leads is still lacking. Not perfect, but a much more cohesive story than George gave us.

More info

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Octane

@Morpheel: Considering how George Lucas managed to portray great actors as one of the most boring bland 2D characters; No, I think Anakin's story was just bad writing as well.

Octane

Haru17

But, but Attack of the Clones' action scenes were so pretty...

But yeah, the new movie was much prettier and much better, huh? Except for that puppet garbage.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Peek-a-boo

@gcunit: 'Fly' is an episode that folks seem to like or dislike, which is fair enough as it offers an incredibly different perspective from the norm!

I like my theatre plays/shows because I believe character study is the greatest form of acting. This is why 'Fly' is heralded as one of the greatest episode in the entirety of the Breaking Bad series, and I am one of them. I shall post spoilers from here on, just in case someone else has yet to watch the television show:

The episode 'Fly' is mostly a character study of where both Walt and Jesse are now. Jesse sees Walter as a father figure and respects him, even though he won't always agree with him.

The episode was meant to showcase Walt the most though, I think you're dealing with a man who has so many secrets now, who keeps so many dark secrets from so many people that it's finally starting to affect his mental state. Not to mention it's already been established he sees Jessie as family, and the darkest secret he has, would destroy any trust that he has formed with Jesse.

The Fly represented Jane. The last few minutes, when Walt is almost about to tell the truth he says the Fly is going to stay up there forever, meaning it's a lie he won't ever let go, because of the damage it cause.

Also, it's the first time Jesse kills anything alive in the show.

To conclude, what you may well find 'annoying' is a triumph in a two-man acting masterclass in a single environment for forty minutes to another.

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

CaviarMeths

Haru17 wrote:

But yeah, the new movie was much prettier and much better, huh? Except for that puppet garbage.

Yeah, they were quite pretty for a 2002 video game, indeed.

Peek-a-boo

@SpookyMeths: Is there any other way I can watch the two and a half hours fan edit of the prequels, other than on PC?

I quite liked 'Revenge of the Sith' and some parts of Attack of the Clones however, The Phantom Menace was one of the most forgettable films I have ever watched upon walking out of the cinema. I have never attempted to see the latter film again!

The fan edit only showing 5% of The Phantom Menace sounds pretty good to me!

On the subject of The Force Awakens, it appears to have broken virtually every weekend box office record on record. I bet Disney are pleased that they got their hands on the Star Wars franchise for 'just' $4 billion; this film alone will rake in a quarter (or more) of that.

Peek-a-boo

Haru17

SpookyMeths wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Yeah, they were quite pretty for a 2002 video game, indeed.

Lol, what? Visual detail-wise most of today's games are still behind those movies. The only thing on-par I'd say would be Uncharted.

Not that it's not a completely unfair comparison—movie CG is always going to look better that video game CG because the later actually has to work.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic