Forums

Topic: Everything Star Wars discussion thread| How you doing, you old pirate?

Posts 321 to 340 of 1,108

GamecubeMan

Only saw one thing two things regarding the quality of this movie. One post on twitter saying it was funny, creative and your first born and this Nintendo Life post. Also west coast hype clock.

Edited on by GamecubeMan

GCN 3.9
Gamecubeloggery
Forget the Nintendo seal of approval
My

3DS Friend Code: 1934-1104-3407 | Twitter:

Octane

@Santa: When is the premiere in the US? Tomorrow?

Octane

LaserdiscGal

@Octane Tomorrow at 7pm (est).

We'll discuss the film after that.

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

Dezzy

This is the best thing ever:

Best weather lady you'll ever see. As if a million nerds suddenly cried out in sheer lust.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Peek-a-boo

Yeah, so, it was pretty good actually!

It does not quite deliver the brilliance that the press are drumming it up to be however, it is a good start to a new saga and any fears of the film being a 'Phantom Menace' vanished as soon as the film eventually got going.

I especially like how this film makes all these little references to the original trilogy, but nary a mention of the new prequel trilogy. I'm not complaining!

My only slight quibble is that The Force Awakens follows the template that A New Hope once set a little bit too closely for my liking. Maybe they weren't brave enough to go in a different direction, or is nostalgia too strong a thing to ignore?

Who knows. It is still a good film, just not an entirely original (Star Wars) one.

I will be posting spoilers from here on so please, for the love of all things good, don't spoil the film for yourself (or others) until you have watched it yourself, okay?

Oh why did the wily old space smuggler, Han Solo, have to be the one to die, so cruelly, at the hands of his son Kylo Ren?

On the subject of Kylo Ren, as soon as he removed his imposing mask, to reveal a very young looking man (played by Adam Driver) with lush flowing hair, it took all the menace out of him in one fell swoop, especially surprisingly early on too.

The closing ten seconds is brilliant though, seeing an old but wise Luke Skywalker. I also enjoyed seeing Rey playing the main character as well - we need more female heroes in today's society so, why not portray one in a film as well known as Star Wars?

All in all, it was a decent yarn; 7/10.

'A New Hope' still remains my favourite.

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

GamecubeMan

Im buying a ticket from this boy in my debate class and going to see it in less than 24 hours!!!!

GCN 3.9
Gamecubeloggery
Forget the Nintendo seal of approval
My

3DS Friend Code: 1934-1104-3407 | Twitter:

LaserdiscGal

I absolutely loved the film, it's everything I expected and more.

It's not perfect, but you know what? Neither was a New Hope.

I'm going to go cry myself to sleep though, have fun discussing gentlemen!

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

Henmii

Well, I saw the movie too. People don't have to fear anymore about Disney baby-fying the franchise, its a mature movie. And while I am not as ecstatic as many others are, it was still a cool movie. Here's why I am not SUPER-impressed though (no real spoilers).

The movie looks very dark and gloomy. Maybe its just me, but there's almost no color.

The action is very hectic, like in most modern movies. Maybe I am getting old, but for me its hard to follow.

There was humor, but there could have been some more in my opinion. Even Han Solo has seen funnier days, though I still loved his inclusion. The funniest stuff comes from BB8 though (his expressions). He's awesome.

Luckily there where some new creatures, but I would have liked more new robots and maybe more new space-crafts

The story is far to similar to the old movies. I hope episode 8 has a more original story. There's potential enough for that, given the source material.

Ok, 1 little spoiler: How come that Rey is sooo good with the lightsaber, she hasn't got training yet. Even Finn didn't do to bad as a newby with the lightsaber. And Captain Phasma...isn't a thread at all! End of spoiler.

Edited on by LaserdiscGal

Henmii

Peek-a-boo

@Henmii: Do you not know how to use the spoiler tags? You really should edit your message, because 'a little spoiler' may well upset someone. Here, I have spoiled your words for you - just copy and paste this, or edit your post altogether!

Henmii wrote:

Okay, one little spoiler:

How come that Rey is ssooo good with the lightsaber, she hasn't got training yet. Even Finn didn't do to bad as a newbie with the lightsaber. And Captain Phasma... isn't a threat at all!

End of spoiler.

All-in-all, I agree with some of your points (although I rather like the stark contrast between the red and blue lightsabers) and I am especially glad that Disney did not feel the need to make it as family friendly as possible, when many folks feared they would.

Upon reflection, it would be the fourth best film in the overall saga. I quite like 'Revenge of the Sith' however, the lightness of 'The Force Awakens' and seeing the returning cast from the original trilogy makes it a lot more enjoyable and memorable. It's all good!

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Aviator

Peek-a-boo wrote:

My only slight quibble is that A Force Awakens follows the template that A New Hope once set a little bit too closely for my liking. Maybe they weren't brave enough to go in a different direction, or is nostalgia too strong a thing to ignore?

That's my biggest annoyance. It wasn't amazing or incredible, it was a good Star Wars movie, but a lot of it was been there done that. Just all a little bit eh. You can understand why, he needs to set up what he has obviously planned to be a trilogy but, ehhh.

I have confidence in Abrams for 8 and 9, but I hope he has a little bit more confidence to make his own mark in the story. If we get a half-rebuilt planet weapon in 9 though I won't be happy.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

jump

I thought JJ wasn't directing 8 and 9 or have I confused that with the spin off films?

Edit, just checked and Rian Johnson and Trevorrowr are the next two directors.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Aviator

Yeah I was wrong on that one.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

RudysaurusRex

Peek-a-boo wrote:

On the subject of Kylo Ren, as soon as he removed his imposing mask, to reveal a very young looking man (played by Adam Driver) with lush flowing hair, it took all the menace out of him in one fell swoop, especially surprisingly early on too.

Ben was great because of how unstable he was. He really is what Anakin probably should have been. He is a young, weak man, confused by the Dark Side, and only part of it because Snoke seduced him, and he is too afraid to leave.

Also did anyone catch Kylo's remark about having a clone army instead of Hux's? I thought that was a pretty good line. It also made me think. At this point in the universe, we are 50 years removed from the Clone Wars. That's crazy.

SPREAD THE JOY OF THE GREAT TURTLE
HE IS UPON US AND WILL TAKE US TO THE GREAT WAVE
JOIN THE COURT OF TURTLES AND BE REDEEMED
THE COURT OF TURTLES

3DS Friend Code: 0061-3403-4305 | Nintendo Network ID: AlexTheGrayt | Twitter:

Peek-a-boo

@Aviator: Rian Johnson has yet to stumble in his already great career.

His debut feature, 'Brick', is one of the best noir film in the past decade or so, and 'Looper' is one of the best science fiction film in the past decade too. He also came up with the imaginative look of the 'near future' in Looper as well, which bodes well for episode VIII.

He was responsible for two of the best episodes of Breaking Bad - 'Fly' and 'Ozymandias', the latter of the which has gone down as the best episode across all five seasons.

I am very excited to see what he shall bring to the Star Wars universe. One thing for sure, it will be a lot more original - and perhaps divisive - than 'The Force Awakens'!

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

jump

Peek-a-boo wrote:

Rian Johnson has yet to stumble in his already great career.

What about Brothers Bloom, it was a flop on release and it's a bit meh at best. I loved Brick and Looper though.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Octane

@Henmii: I don't know. I liked that they didn't introduce too many new characters. More robots and aliens would've been too much. It's one of the problems I have with the prequel trilogy, I'd rather see a more reserved cast in terms of size than bunch of characters that are introduced, but don't turn out to be relevant or necessary.

Just like the original trilogy were good movies for the late 70s/early 80s (and still are to this day), The Force Awakens was a good 2015 movie. Nostalgia was a huge factor in the movie, but it's been 30 years since the original trilogy and they're trying to forget the prequel trilogy, so I'm fine with that. I'm definitely ready for a more unique story in episode 8 and 9.

Octane

the_shpydar

Amazing. Nothing else i can say right now, as i'm still digesting (and don't want to delve into any spoilerific stuffs).
All i know is i absolutely cannot wait for Episode 8. So much stuff is already set up to expand upon.
It's truly a great time to be a Star Wars fan.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

CaviarMeths

I feel like I'm a kid again and I just saw Star Wars for the first time. Absolutely loved it.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

adamkop

That was probably my favourite SW movie when it comes to pacing - action never really slowed down and there was absolutely no filler. It's really weird, but I think that Poe and BB8 were the highlights for me. I was really unsure about Kylo, but in the end I liked him more than I thought I would.
I felt like there could be some more fighters (and bombers, as they would make some stuff easier for the Resistance ) but overall there's really nothing that felt off in the movie.
Overall the biggest improvement for me were the lightsaber battles and a bit more "human" characters. Even stormtroopers and officers feel like real people and not robots that just follow orders. As for lightsabers it feels that they are really dangerous now. They were obviously limited in the original trilogy, but in the prequels Ep I almost got them right only to follow with them being replaced with some fancy neon disco sticks. That final fight in VII almost hurt when you looked at all the carnage that they cause.

adamkop

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic