Forums

Topic: Everything Star Wars discussion thread| How you doing, you old pirate?

Posts 181 to 200 of 1,108

Henmii

So the new teaser is out. I like it a lot! A short analysis (spoilers):

Storm troopers are still in function it seems, and still evil
There is a black armored stormtrooper that seems important
Yes, the black person really seems a stormtrooper deserter
Cool, damaged Darth vader helmet
Does the villain dress like Darth Revan?!
Is r2 in the hands of a sith (I saw a black cloak)? Could Luke really have become a sith (but he sounds so friendly in the trailer) as rumored? I saw a metal hand, so the black cloak figure really could be Luke.
Chewie and Han are back, nice to see you guys again! End of spoilers.

Oh, I wished it was December....

"Been a long time since I have seen the movies. Weird. I remember him saying something similar but not exactly that"

I could be totally wrong, but think its spoken (in the teaser) by old Luke. It may be the same sentence (or rather a variation on it), but spoken by a older Mark Hamill

Spoiler: Seeing as the villain wears Darth Revan cloths and we see the Darth vader helmet on some sort of pedestal, its sure possible the villain is a Sith fanboy (and collector) as was rumored before. End of Spoiler.

Edited on by Henmii

Henmii

DBPirate

the_shpydar wrote:

I've actually been re-watching the Saga recently (for the millionth time) since i picked up the Blu Ray set, and i'm trying the "flashback" viewing order this time around:

1. Star Wars (i never call it "A New Hope")
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. Phantom Menace
4. Attack of the Clones
5. Revenge of the Sith
6. Return of the Jedi

It's actually a cool way to watch them. Since Empire ends with the Vader-father reveal, this turns the prequels into the flashback "origin" story, and kind of creates a cool dynamic before heading back into the conclusion with Jedi.

Yeah, I've watched them that way once. Probably my favorite viewing order. Something just seems...off about viewing them chronologically.

By the way, that new trailer for TFA was spectacular!

Edited on by DBPirate

Currently playing: Bayonetta 2

My Nintendo: DillPickle | Nintendo Network ID: Czechmate1129

PanicPuppet

I may be in an extreme minority, but I'm not very excited for VII.

I feel SW has run its course as a film saga (Revenge of the Sith's tagline was "the saga is complete" after all), and it really felt like the story ended at Return of the Jedi. The whole saga is about the rise, fall, and redemption of Darth Vader. It just feels a bit wrong to keep going forward at this point.

With the franchise in Disney's hands, you can bet they'll keep putting out SW movies for a very, very long time. If people thought the past decade devolved SW into nothing more than another brand and "da Prequels sukked 'cause they're different" or whatever; I think we've yet to see the worst.

I've loved the both trilogies since I was very young, and that love only grew as I got older. TCW was fantastic as well; a phenomenal show that gave many characters their time to shine (even poor Jar Jar; whom was redeemed for many previously-hateful fans through the show!), fleshed out untouched stories that the movies didn't, etc. etc.

I guess after all this time being a huge fan, I feel a bit burned out now. Sorry for coming off as a downer, but that's just my personal feelings towards VII and beyond.

Edited on by PanicPuppet

PanicPuppet

Henmii

Spoiler: I love the first scene where we see a Star destroyer in the desert. It crashed there and has been forgotten by time (These scene was also rumored some time back. A lot of the rumors seem to be true. I guess next up is the rumored blue alien played by Serkis). Also the scene where the Millenium Falcon gets attacked in some sort of tunnel. Looks a lot like a particular scene from Startrek into darkness (no wonder, also Directed by Abrahams)! End of spoiler.

Henmii

Octane

Anyone seen this yet? Pretty cool, I love the idea of props being used over CGI, but I never thought BB-8 was going to be a real thing. They revealed it a while back, but it's still pretty cool to see it in action.

Octane

Henmii

Agreed. Looks pretty cool!

Henmii

DBPirate

LightSuitGuy wrote:

I may be in an extreme minority, but I'm not very excited for VII.

I feel SW has run its course as a film saga (Revenge of the Sith's tagline was "the saga is complete" after all), and it really felt like the story ended at Return of the Jedi. The whole saga is about the rise, fall, and redemption of Darth Vader. It just feels a bit wrong to keep going forward at this point.

With the franchise in Disney's hands, you can bet they'll keep putting out SW movies for a very, very long time. If people thought the past decade devolved SW into nothing more than another brand and "da Prequels sukked 'cause they're different" or whatever; I think we've yet to see the worst.

I've loved the both trilogies since I was very young, and that love only grew as I got older. TCW was fantastic as well; a phenomenal show that gave many characters their time to shine (even poor Jar Jar; whom was redeemed for many previously-hateful fans through the show!), fleshed out untouched stories that the movies didn't, etc. etc.

I guess after all this time being a huge fan, I feel a bit burned out now. Sorry for coming off as a downer, but that's just my personal feelings towards VII and beyond.

I actually think that's pretty much my feelings as well. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for Episode VII. Han Solo is in it, Chewbacca is in it, R2 is in it...but I'm not sure it will feel the same without Anakin / Vader. They could at the very least throw in some ghosts for Obi-Wan and Yoda so we'll at least have them. Maybe he'll be played by Ewan McGregor?

gcunit

Henmii wrote:

I could be totally wrong, but think its spoken (in the teaser) by old Luke. It may be the same sentence (or rather a variation on it), but spoken by a older Mark Hamill

I thought this too originally, but then someone in another forum suggested it was just sampled dialogue taken straight from ROTJ, and I think they're probably right. I checked the ROTJ scene and the intonation and voice seems identical, although clean of the Endor atmosphere sound effect.

Sadly, this takes the edge right off the new teaser trailer for me. I got really excited when I thought Hamill sounded exactly the same and was re-using dialogue, so bit of a come down to think it's not actually a clip from the new film.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

gcunit

Amiibo wrote:

Just found this, it's one bombad video.

Love it. Thanks for posting it.

Henmii

It's funny though, people feared Disney would ruin Starwars. But then came Rebels, and people seem to love it (I have yet to get wowed by it). And now according to IGN Disney scrapped most of George Lucas ideas he had for Episodes 7-9 (wich probably never would happen if it was still in George his hands, but that's another story). He wanted again very young characters (a la the prequel trilogy) but Disney didn't want that. Probably because they knew it would piss of a big part of the Starwars community. In other words: They really want to bring back the people who where dissapointed by the prequels. Maybe they listen more to the fans then George did!

Me, I am in a totally different league since I loved the prequels. I had nothing against the super young Anakin. Personally I have a bit fear BECAUSE they ditched George's ideas! I mean, is it still Starwars?! The first teasers did look promising though!

Back to characters: The very cool looking black stormtrooper has a very cool name, Captain Vashma. And it seems she is a woman, namely Podricks (game of thrones) girl-friend lol. And the sith (lord? apprentice?) is called Kylo Renn (probably not his Sith name, otherwise it would be Darth Kylo or Renn). So it isn't a son or daughter from Han/Leia or Luke. Maybe a adopted son? I still hope Luke Skywalker turns out to be the Sith-lord. How cool (and tragic) would that be?! Like you can't change your destiny?

Henmii

shingi_70

Henmii wrote:

It's funny though, people feared Disney would ruin Starwars. But then came Rebels, and people seem to love it (I have yet to get wowed by it). And now according to IGN Disney scrapped most of George Lucas ideas he had for Episodes 7-9 (wich probably never would happen if it was still in George his hands, but that's another story). He wanted again very young characters (a la the prequel trilogy) but Disney didn't want that. Probably because they knew it would piss of a big part of the Starwars community. In other words: They really want to bring back the people who where dissapointed by the prequels. Maybe they listen more to the fans then George did!

Me, I am in a totally different league since I loved the prequels. I had nothing against the super young Anakin. Personally I have a bit fear BECAUSE they ditched George's ideas! I mean, is it still Starwars?! The first teasers did look promising though!

Back to characters: The very cool looking black stormtrooper has a very cool name, Captain Vashma. And it seems she is a woman, namely Podricks (game of thrones) girl-friend lol. And the sith (lord? apprentice?) is called Kylo Renn (probably not his Sith name, otherwise it would be Darth Kylo or Renn). So it isn't a son or daughter from Han/Leia or Luke. Maybe a adopted son? I still hope Luke Skywalker turns out to be the Sith-lord. How cool (and tragic) would that be?! Like you can't change your destiny?

The ages are really only bad for Anikan and Padme being so young, when you could have made both slightly older and kept the same story. In the Original trilogy Luke and Leia are both 18 at the start and about 24/25 by the series ends and Han was in his 30s/ Likewise the new Trio has similar age breakdowns with Rey and Finn being 18 to 20 and Poe being about 30. As for the rumors it does sound like Kylo Renn and Rey are both related to the Skywalker Clan in some way or form.

As for Star Wars in general I just started Lords of the Sith which I really can't comment on only being 4 chapters in so. The trailer for rebels season 2 looks really cool.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

DefHalan

So my wife and I are slowly rewatching all the Star Wars films. We have watched episodes 1 and 2 so far. Possible unpopular opinion, I enjoyed episode 1 more than 2.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

shingi_70

Nope II is usally considered the worst of the prequels and honestly Clone Wars cartoon is a better feel in for that slot.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

iKhan

So, I'm watching some deleted scenes from Aladdin. It's stunning how similar Ezra Bridger is to the original version of the character.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

iKhan

SuperMalleo wrote:

Who is the worse Anakin: Jake Lloyd or Hayden Christensen?

Hayden Christiansen by far. Jake Lloyd is a great job of doing what he was supposed to do. Be a 9 year old kid that kids can relate to.

Hayden Christiansen was an insufferable hemorrhoid through 2 movies. I can't remember a single scene where I actually liked him. The only time I think he did his job okay was when he became Darth Vader, because I was supposed to dislike him at that point.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

gcunit

iKhan wrote:

SuperMalleo wrote:

Who is the worse Anakin: Jake Lloyd or Hayden Christensen?

Hayden Christiansen by far. Jake Lloyd is a great job of doing what he was supposed to do. Be a 9 year old kid that kids can relate to.

Hayden Christiansen was an insufferable hemorrhoid through 2 movies. I can't remember a single scene where I actually liked him. The only time I think he did his job okay was when he became Darth Vader, because I was supposed to dislike him at that point.

You do realise that the Director chooses which version of a scene to use in the final movie, don't you? Actors will often do various versions of a scene and the Director chooses which one to go with. The Director is also responsible for getting the best out of the actors. Given that George Lucas chose HC, wrote the screenplay, and directed the actors, my conclusion is that it if you don't like a character then it's George Lucas' fault.

I personally found HC to be particularly good in the scene where he finds his mother and the scene at the grave stone.

iKhan

I can't speak for his acting, I'm just referring to the portrayal seen on screen.

DBPirate

Both Lloyd and Christensen did fine with the material they used. Whenever "they" were bad, it was because of lines like "Yippee!" and "I wish I could just wish away my feelings."

LaserdiscGal

I agree with @DBPirate

Neither were bad actors, merely a sign of bad writing and bad directing.

Lucas forgot his #1 rule, Faster More Intense.

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic