Forums

Topic: Everything Star Wars discussion thread| How you doing, you old pirate?

Posts 121 to 140 of 1,108

CanisWolfred

I got excited for 2 seconds when I saw the concept art. Nope, another 3D animation. At least it's going for a more realistic art style, but it still doesn't feel right.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Henmii

More realistic? I heard people saying that before, but I am not really seeing it. Looks very cartoony to me.

Personally I am not a big 3D animated cartoon-series fan either, though I do like TMNT 2012 (Though the 2003 series is better). And the Clone wars was also great fun. So I also gonna watch Rebels. Yeah, they already did some things to appeal to a younger audience (like the boy with the blue anime-hair. That doesn't really fit in Starwars) but it could still be fun. Besides, this series may be the closest to the upcoming movies. And with that I mean that certain characters, races, and locations may also appear in the movies.

Henmii

iKhan

CanisWolfred wrote:

I got excited for 2 seconds when I saw the concept art. Nope, another 3D animation. At least it's going for a more realistic art style, but it still doesn't feel right.

I think we've progressed far enough into 3D Animation that it's not eye-bleedingly bad to make a 3D CGI TV series (looking at you MTV Spider-man). Though those Wookies look really bad.

Anyway, just finished the first episode. I'm impressed. It's the typical animated series tied with great respect for the source material that I've come to expect from Greg Weisman. I really like Ezra's character. He reminds me of Aladdin, but a lot more damaged. Kanan and Zeb are also really interesting characters. And like I said, the respect for the source material is uncanny. It FEELS like a Star Wars iteration.

My one complaint is that occasionally, the characters say something overly dramatic and cheesy. Like, something you'd expect from a JRPG. Particularly Hera's character, who feels the need to announce literally every action she makes. She doesn't have to announce "I GOT EM" every time she nails a tie fighter for example.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Henmii

"And like I said, the respect for the source material is uncanny. It FEELS like a Star Wars iteration"

As was the case with the Clone wars, wich Dave Filoni also worked on. He also worked on the awesome (and sadly canceled) Thundercats reboot. I have a goooood feeling about this!

Update: Saw the first 2 episodes. Not a bad start.

Edited on by Henmii

Henmii

shingi_70

Rebels just got renewed for season 2 but Wiseman won't be back.

Clone Wars was an extension of the prequels that really fleshed out that time period, and is my favorite content of the prequel era. However this feel like a total call back tonally to A New Hope. So far my favorite two character's are K'naan and Hera and that probably has to do with just getting done with reading Star Wars A New Dawn and for the most part enjoying the short about those two the most. Its refreshing reading this and a new hope and the lack of all jedi all the time make moments where you see the stuff related to it even more special.

The music, writing, and voice acting were just perfect when K'naan tells Ezra is letting everyone in on the secret and pulls out his lightsaber.
Untitled
Anyone else read New Dawn yet?

Edited on by shingi_70

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

iKhan

shingi_70 wrote:

Rebels just got renewed for season 2 but Wiseman won't be back.

Clone Wars was an extension of the prequels that really fleshed out that time period, and is my favorite content of the prequel era. However this feel like a total call back tonally to A New Hope. So far my favorite two character's are K'naan and Hera and that probably has to do with just getting done with reading Star Wars A New Dawn and for the most part enjoying the short about those two the most. Its refreshing reading this and a new hope and the lack of all jedi all the time make moments where you see the stuff related to it even more special.

Anyone else read New Dawn yet?

A source: http://www.starwars.com/news/disney-xd-orders-second-season-o...

The Weisman curse strikes again. So we can expect Season 2 to go downhill from Season 1 right?

Anyway, I disagree that Rebels is tonally similar to a New Hope. I think it's actually quite a bit darker in it's tone. One thing that bothers me about A New Hope so much is that it just feels too lighthearted for a world ruled by an evil galactic empire. You never really get to fully understand why this empire is so bad. I mean, yeah, they destroy Alderaan and torture Leia, but Leia BARELY reacts to either of those things. It just weakens the magnitude of the situation. Also, Vader is an awful villain in A New Hope. Like, almost as bad as Count Dooku. He's basically Grand Moff Tarkin's errand boy, and a fancy looking storm trooper.

I think Rebels really stands out in that it blends the darker depiction of the Empire and better world building of Episode III with the sense of adventure and strong characterization of Episode IV.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Henmii

"I think Rebels really stands out in that it blends the darker depiction of the Empire"

Darker, darker you say? I think Rebels is extremely light! After seeing a few episodes I am a bit dissapointed. I am not in the "dark, dark, daark" league, but the whole affair could have a bit more urgency. Now its just a bunch of characters flying through space stealing some cargo's and freeing some people here and there, with no real danger. Its really been there done that. But Clone wars was a lot better, even if that also got a bit long in the tooth after season 3 (though there where still a lot of awesome episodes even after season 3). But maybe I also feel that way about Rebels because a lot of cool things, like the enemie droids, Yoda, etc are out of the fray. In other words, they have to establish a whole new universe. And that has to grow over time.

I won't ditch the series just yet, since I have only seen 3 episodes. But I just hope things become a little more urgent from now on, especially since the Inquisitor will arrive on the scene. Either way, I do hope the new movies won't become super-light. But they shouldn't become super serious either, with a grumpy teen cast. Like you see in so many movies nowadays. That's maybe not such a good idea.

Edited on by Henmii

Henmii

ejamer

I haven't seen Rebels yet. I'm behind the times, just now watching through Clone Wars on Netflix because we didn't have cable when it was first aired. But they really did a good job on Clone Wars so it makes me hopefully that Rebels will be worth watching despite early weak reviews.

Just wondering if anyone else saw the Humble Bundle Star Wars comics sale? Name your price* to (legally) get a digital collection of Star Wars comics for your PC or portable devices. Some of the comics are pretty old and almost certainly not canon any longer. Some are of better quality than others too... but that's the way comics have always been. Might not interest everyone, but this casual Star Wars/comic fan was pretty excited about the deal and thought it might be worth sharing. I'm downloading PDFs now, and look forward to reading the Rise of the Sith Omnibus first.

Clarification: As usual with Humble Bundles, there are three pricing tiers:
(1) basic - any price will get your roughly 50 comics;
(2) beat the average - roughly $10, will get your over 100 comics;
(3) premium - $15 or more will get over 100 comics plus In the Shadow of Yavin collection.

I bought in at the second tier because some of the comics it included looked awesome... but you don't need to pay that much to get a whole bunch of Star Wars content. Just tossing a dollar or two their way will give plenty of fun reading.

Edited on by ejamer

ejamer

Nintendo Network ID: ejamer

Henmii

Seen the episode where the Inquisitor makes his proper entrance. It finally has started to become interesting.

Henmii

PanicPuppet

Rebels I'm a bit "eh" towards, but I haven't seen a full episode yet. I am however, going to catch the re-airing of the first episode on ABC.

Can't wait for that 30 second Vader cameo!

PanicPuppet

iKhan

Henmii wrote:

"I think Rebels really stands out in that it blends the darker depiction of the Empire"

Darker, darker you say? I think Rebels is extremely light! After seeing a few episodes I am a bit dissapointed. I am not in the "dark, dark, daark" league, but the whole affair could have a bit more urgency. Now its just a bunch of characters flying through space stealing some cargo's and freeing some people here and there, with no real danger. Its really been there done that. But Clone wars was a lot better, even if that also got a bit long in the tooth after season 3 (though there where still a lot of awesome episodes even after season 3). But maybe I also feel that way about Rebels because a lot of cool things, like the enemie droids, Yoda, etc are out of the fray. In other words, they have to establish a whole new universe. And that has to grow over time.

I won't ditch the series just yet, since I have only seen 3 episodes. But I just hope things become a little more urgent from now on, especially since the Inquisitor will arrive on the scene. Either way, I do hope the new movies won't become super-light. But they shouldn't become super serious either, with a grumpy teen cast. Like you see in so many movies nowadays. That's maybe not such a good idea.

I haven't seen clone wars (the original mid 2000's show's art style was a major turnoff, and I absolutely detest Episode 2, so I really wasn't interested in more of that time in that world).

I'd say, at least in it's depiction of the Empire, Rebels is far darker than A New Hope ever was. Rebels actually portrays the Empire doing awful things, like slaughtering entire races, stealing from and prosecuting every day Lothalians, and taking innocent people as slaves. Episode 4 never really does a good job of showing you that the empire is a negative force. Just one in opposition to the protagonists that is made to look menacing by the score and direction. (Episode 5 promptly rectifies that by truly bringing forward Vader's character, and a bit more development of how everyday people could be affected once we get to cloud city).

Your right that, aside from Zeb, we really haven't seen the protagonists themselves in grave danger though. But knowing Weisman's style, that's probably an intentional choice to focus on introducing the characters. Spectacular Spider-Man was also really light to start, and it made the series' later darker moments far better. Young Justice and Gargoyles had a darker pilot, but we're lighter for the next few episodes.

PanicPuppet

Here's the Vader scene in case anyone missed it.

Its was nothing short of amazing to hear the man himself voice the Dark Lord once again!

PanicPuppet

the_shpydar

@iKahn
I just have to chime in on your assertion that Episode 4 doesn't show the Empire as truly evil. Perhaps you missed the following:

Vader snapping a defenseless prisoner's neck during questioning
Dozens of harmless Jawas slaughtered
Two old farmers slaughtered and burned alive
A teenage girl tortured for information
That same teenage girl set to be executed
An entire planet blown up, killing billions, just to prove a point

Yep, not really depicted as evil at all.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

iKhan

the_shpydar wrote:

@iKahn
I just have to chime in on your assertion that Episode 4 doesn't show the Empire as truly evil. Perhaps you missed the following:

Vader snapping a defenseless prisoner's neck during questioning
Dozens of harmless Jawas slaughtered
Two old farmers slaughtered and burned alive
A teenage girl tortured for information
That same teenage girl set to be executed
An entire planet blown up, killing billions, just to prove a point

Yep, not really depicted as evil at all.

I don't remember Vader's snapping a prisoner's necks.
Jawas aren't really sympathetic creatures.
Luke and Leia barely wince at the things you refer to. That's a general problem with episode 4. You don't grieve for Alderaan because Leia doesn't really seem to either. You don't really care too much that Luke's aunt and uncle died, because Luke doesn't seem to. It's never referred to again.

Also, for the record, the rebellion and empire are opposite sides of a war. Capturing and killing prisoners isn't exactly something thats utterly despicable. It's not good, but it's not something that makes you really hate them. To put it another way, we aren't really shown WHY there is a rebellion. Rebels does show us this though. From the first scene we see innocent people being robbed. We see them imprison wookies who are shown sympathetically.

CanisWolfred

Henmii wrote:

More realistic? I heard people saying that before, but I am not really seeing it. Looks very cartoony to me.

I mean more realistic proportions compared to Clone Wars, which plowed right through Uncanny Valley like it plowed it's own mom...

iKhan wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

I think we've progressed far enough into 3D Animation that it's not eye-bleedingly bad to make a 3D CGI TV series (looking at you MTV Spider-man). Though those Wookies look really bad.

What's it like in the 21st and a half century?

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

iKhan

CanisWolfred wrote:

Henmii wrote:

I mean more realistic proportions compared to Clone Wars, which plowed right through Uncanny Valley like it plowed it's own mom...

iKhan wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

What's it like in the 21st and a half century?

We've had good enough CG for a TV show since The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron. Though it's odd how the utterly awful looking MTV Spidey series came a year after.

iKhan

Yesterday's episode was my favorite of Rebels so far. It's hilarious how Weisman gave us a more convincing relationship between Jai and Ezra in the first few scenes than Lucas did for Anakin and Obi-Wan in the entirety of episode 2.

Henmii

"I am sure the force was present in the whole series so I fail to see how it can be awaken"

Lol, it probably means that the Force gets serious this time. Like tons of Jedi's flying through the air, doing their stuff!

But seriously: The title sounds very weak. But a bad title doesn't necesarily mean a bad movie!

Henmii

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic