General Discussion Forum

Topic: The Mega Man Fan Club

Showing 161 to 180 of 1,576

AuthorMessage
Avatar

StuffyStuff

161. Posted:

Mickeymac wrote:

Heh, it's easier for me to list the Mega Man games I don't like. In fact, I will list them:

Mega Man IV (GB)
Mega Man X6(worst in the series IMO)
Mega Man 5(kind of), 8(most definitely)
Mega Man Battle Network 4 (got it because it connected to 3 other games I owned. Still wasn't worth it)
Mega Man StarForce series (Only played them once, never playing them again. Luckily I only borrowed it)

...I think that's it.

You are definitely in the minority by hating Mega Man IV. It's not as good as people make it out to be, but it's far from being bad. X6 was just too freakin' hard. I can get through most of the levels but I basically just run through them and that's no fun. If I were gonna hate on any of the GB games, it would definitely be MMII. It's the only game I've only played through once. Everything about that game was bad to me: level design, that annoying blinking crap when you get hit, and large sprites.

StuffyStuff

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

162. Posted:

StuffyStuff wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

Heh, it's easier for me to list the Mega Man games I don't like. In fact, I will list them:

Mega Man IV (GB)
Mega Man X6(worst in the series IMO)
Mega Man 5(kind of), 8(most definitely)
Mega Man Battle Network 4 (got it because it connected to 3 other games I owned. Still wasn't worth it)
Mega Man StarForce series (Only played them once, never playing them again. Luckily I only borrowed it)

...I think that's it.

You are definitely in the minority by hating Mega Man IV. It's not as good as people make it out to be, but it's far from being bad. X6 was just too freakin' hard. I can get through most of the levels but I basically just run through them and that's no fun. If I were gonna hate on any of the GB games, it would definitely be MMII. It's the only game I've only played through once. Everything about that game was bad to me: level design, that annoying blinking crap when you get hit, and large sprites.

You're right. For some reason I thought there were 6 Game Boy Mega Mans, and I knew the second to last was the best while the one before it was the worst. I'll go ahead and fix that.

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MegaStoneSmash91

163. Posted:

I actually kind of like X6. It is difficult, but it gets easier as you make progress through the game (and after you've played it a few times). The Mavericks are are a good bunch, and the 2 new Armors are pretty interesting and fun to use. My one major gripe with it is the Nightmare Enemies. They turn rescuable reploids Maverick so you can't get the Power-up that the reploid may have had. It gets frustrating when you see some reploids and then the Nightmares swoop in so you have to act quickly to save them (it gets real bad in Infinity Mijinion's stage). But no matter what negative things you have to say about X6, the soundtrack is excellent.

Beep.
That is all.

3DS Friend Code: 2423-2791-1985 | Nintendo Network ID: MegaStoneSmash91

AuthorMessage
Avatar

StuffyStuff

164. Posted:

MMV is considered the best of the GB games, and I can't argue that. MMIII is actually pretty good. It looks more like an NES game where the first two are sub-par. Dr. Wily's Revenge is a beast to complete too. Everyone hates the disappearing blocks, but in Elec Man's stage you have fans blowing you all over the place and if you miss a block, you go down the shaft and have to do it all over again. I personally don't mind the blocks, but that's a common gripe.

I don't necessarily dislike X6, it's just a royal pain and some levels are simply unbeatable without any special armor.

StuffyStuff

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

165. Posted:

MegaStoneSmash91 wrote:

I actually kind of like X6. It is difficult, but it gets easier as you make progress through the game (and after you've played it a few times). The Mavericks are are a good bunch, and the 2 new Armors are pretty interesting and fun to use. My one major gripe with it is the Nightmare Enemies. They turn rescuable reploids Maverick so you can't get the Power-up that the reploid may have had. It gets frustrating when you see some reploids and then the Nightmares swoop in so you have to act quickly to save them (it gets real bad in Infinity Mijinion's stage). But no matter what negative things you have to say about X6, the soundtrack is excellent.

MegaMeister, you just proved that you are the biggest Mega Man fan that ever existed. What you just explained there in your effort to defend it is exactly what makes it a terrible game. It's beyond hard that requires multiple playthroughs before it becomes managable. And part of that difficulty stems from the glitches and unfair challenges, and the occasionally terrible level design. The Nightmares were the worst because if that civilian died they never came back, and since you don't know what they're carrying, you may lose out on an item that you need to finish the game. This is just not good gameplay, IMO. The whole thing feels rushed and poorly thought out, which it was since there was never supposed to be a Mega Man X6.

I tried really, really, reeeealy hard to like Mega Man X6, but I couldn't. There was nothing to like. It just wasn't a good game, and from my experience. I didn't even like the sound track, which lacked as much soul as the rest of the game. You're free to like it, and you're free to defend it - The power-ups were cool (but were in MMX5 and X8, and were easier to obtain), the Bosses were interesting, and the new armors were neat, even though they weren't much of an improvement over the armors in X5 - But I'll tell you this, you're fighting a hard battle my friend. Good luck.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

166. Posted:

StuffyStuff wrote:

MMV is considered the best of the GB games, and I can't argue that. MMIII is actually pretty good. It looks more like an NES game where the first two are sub-par. Dr. Wily's Revenge is a beast to complete too. Everyone hates the disappearing blocks, but in Elec Man's stage you have fans blowing you all over the place and if you miss a block, you go down the shaft and have to do it all over again. I personally don't mind the blocks, but that's a common gripe.

I don't necessarily dislike X6, it's just a royal pain and some levels are simply unbeatable without any special armor.

Mega Man V is pretty good, too. Actually, it might be me fave, I can't remember too well. It's been a long time, and I never really owned 'em. Personally I found all three of the first MM GB games to be pretty bad, though I did enjoy the first one for a while, but it might've just been because of the novelty of playing Mega Man on the Gameboy.

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Dezner

167. Posted:

I still haven't beat MM1 on GB. That damn long and hard stage at the end! :(

Wii: 6882-4334-4721-0727 --- PSN: OrangeGouf --- XBL: Orange Gouf

Uguu!

Twitter: OrangeGouf

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MegaStoneSmash91

168. Posted:

Mickeymac wrote:

MegaStoneSmash91 wrote:

I actually kind of like X6. It is difficult, but it gets easier as you make progress through the game (and after you've played it a few times). The Mavericks are are a good bunch, and the 2 new Armors are pretty interesting and fun to use. My one major gripe with it is the Nightmare Enemies. They turn rescuable reploids Maverick so you can't get the Power-up that the reploid may have had. It gets frustrating when you see some reploids and then the Nightmares swoop in so you have to act quickly to save them (it gets real bad in Infinity Mijinion's stage). But no matter what negative things you have to say about X6, the soundtrack is excellent.

MegaMeister, you just proved that you are the biggest Mega Man fan that ever existed. What you just explained there in your effort to defend it is exactly what makes it a terrible game. It's beyond hard that requires multiple playthroughs before it becomes managable. And part of that difficulty stems from the glitches and unfair challenges, and the occasionally terrible level design. The Nightmares were the worst because if that civilian died they never came back, and since you don't know what they're carrying, you may lose out on an item that you need to finish the game. This is just not good gameplay, IMO. The whole thing feels rushed and poorly thought out, which it was since there was never supposed to be a Mega Man X6.

I tried really, really, reeeealy hard to like Mega Man X6, but I couldn't. There was nothing to like. It just wasn't a good game, and from my experience. I didn't even like the sound track, which lacked as much soul as the rest of the game. You're free to like it, and you're free to defend it - The power-ups were cool (but were in MMX5 and X8, and were easier to obtain), the Bosses were interesting, and the new armors were neat, even though they weren't much of an improvement over the armors in X5 - But I'll tell you this, you're fighting a hard battle my friend. Good luck.

I didn't really think I was defending the game (just saying what I thought about it), but.....alright. And I've actually only played it twice, the second time I rescued all but one reploid and I knew what stages caused which nightmare effects to occur. Needless to say, it became much easier (and more fun) when I knew what the heck I was doing. As far as glitches go, I only ran into one (and it was a good glitch, because it made things a bit easier). In the alternate path of Blizzard Wolfang's stage, there are Icy slopes that you automatically slide down when you walk on them. Playing as Zero, I somehow gained the ability to walk on spikes as much as I wanted without dying (in that stage) after sliding down these slopes. Apparently, using Zero's spinning move he got from Rainy Turtloid a lot while sliding down the slopes triggers the glitch, but it doesn't always work. The level design never seemed to bother me much. There were a few times where I'd die a lot because of the screen not being as far down as it should have been, not having enough room to maneuver, or trying to save a reploid, but for the most part I didn't see any problems.

You said there was nothing to like, yet you listed off a few things you did like, so what's the deal? And I liked the same things about the game that you did, but I guess I just don't dislike X6 as much as everyone else. And yes, this is a hard battle (getting other people to agree with you isn't easy), but I don't think there needs to be any more "back & forth" conversation about X6 soooooooooo......

Oh look! It's Quick Man's theme! Awesome. :D

Beep.
That is all.

3DS Friend Code: 2423-2791-1985 | Nintendo Network ID: MegaStoneSmash91

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

169. Posted:

@MegaStoneSmash91

I just mentioned some positives, didn't mean I liked it. All of those positives are in other games in the series, meaning there's little reason to put up with Mega Man X6's negatives just for them. Take out the name and I probably wouldn't have played it as long as I did.

Anyways, other than venting, the whole point to my last post was to congratulate you for being Mega Man's biggiest fan, what with playing through MMX6 twice when many don't even finish their first playthrough.* If Mega Man ever jumps out of my TV, I'll be sure to send him to your house to give you a nice big high-five.;)

Oh, and btw, Quick Man's theme was playing through my head some time before I read your post. Good timing, and good pick.

* In fact, I think the only other person I know whose done that expressedly admitted to being a masochist.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MegaStoneSmash91

170. Posted:

@Mickeymac: That second paragraph made me smile :) and it reminded me of Mega Man: Upon a Star. Did you ever see that? And there are many more Mega Man fans that like the series even more than me, I'm positive. Whether they're just fans or collectors, I don't know, but I have no intention of getting all the original boxes and manuels for the games. There are also fans who like every spin-off series that has to do with Mega Man. I mainly just like the original series, but the X series is good too.

Quick Man's theme is probably my favorite in MM2, while Metal Man's isn't far behind. Usually, I don't see much appreciation for Quick Man's theme. Everyone's favorite is Metal Man's, or Crash Man's, or Bubble Man's (or any of the songs, really). It's too bad that the song gets drowned out for a lot of the stage because of the death lasers.

Beep.
That is all.

3DS Friend Code: 2423-2791-1985 | Nintendo Network ID: MegaStoneSmash91

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

171. Posted:

Quickmans is another good one but yeah the reason that it probably doesnt get much respect so to speak is cause of the death lasers. Lol in fact right now as I listen to the song and can hear the death lasers in my head lol. I think the quick tempo makes it perfect for Quickmans stage. Another find selection.

Since we are on the subject of Robotmasters stage songs I would like to share one of my favorites Top mans from MM3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Et6vubAn6g&feature=related

Edited on by Tasuki

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

172. Posted:

MegaStoneSmash91 wrote:

@Mickeymac: That second paragraph made me smile :) and it reminded me of Mega Man: Upon a Star. Did you ever see that? And there are many more Mega Man fans that like the series even more than me, I'm positive. Whether they're just fans or collectors, I don't know, but I have no intention of getting all the original boxes and manuels for the games. There are also fans who like every spin-off series that has to do with Mega Man. I mainly just like the original series, but the X series is good too.

Quick Man's theme is probably my favorite in MM2, while Metal Man's isn't far behind. Usually, I don't see much appreciation for Quick Man's theme. Everyone's favorite is Metal Man's, or Crash Man's, or Bubble Man's (or any of the songs, really). It's too bad that the song gets drowned out for a lot of the stage because of the death lasers.

No, I never watched Mega Man: Upon A Star - that was just a chance reference. I did watch the American Mega Man series as a kid, though, and it was the reason I got into the series in the first place. Same thing with Sonic, actually. Lets hear it fir TV, folks.:)

As for my appreciation of Quick Man's theme, you have Hyadain to thank for that. His remixing and added lyrics made it my favorite of all his MegaMixes, and made me learn just how good the theme is. Before it always made me cringe, reminding me of those death lazers and how annoying Quick Man himself can be. Now I actually go to his stage sometimes just to hear that song.:)

Oh, and speaking of Hyadain's MegaMixes, I'm sad that he never got around to finishing them. He still has Wood Man (that'd be too easy) and Air Man left to do, but he hasn't made a new one in over 6 months.:(

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveWarlock

173. Posted:

The Mega Man Cartoon intro was simply put bad !

And I LOVED Mega Man in Captain: The Game Master. His voice was hilarious. lol
Here's a clip from the episode "Happy Birthday Mega Man" - Part 1/3

Edited on by theblackdragon

Currently Playing: Ghouls 'n Ghosts!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SwerdMurd

174. Posted:

@stuffy - agreed. 4 was actually pretty good--one of the few NES entries with challenging bosses (good challenging, not third-of-health elec-man challenging) 2 for gb, however, was HORRIBLE. The music was so raped--esp. when gb 3 came out and in some respects outdid the NES compositions.

I actually thought X6 was pretty good...I enjoyed it (except for music) a lot more than 5...although the Hunter Rank system didn't really do much for me in either game.

Star Force really isn't that bad either...and the music's great...but yeah--definitely not as much fun as the battle network games (1-3 anyway...they kinda nosedived after that)

@ Mickey - I'm sure I'm not the only person that blind-ran my way through X6 without much trouble....I really don't get all the "zomgsohardz!" comments about X6...the nightmares were meant to be shot the second they were seen, and if not--you lose collectibles. Harsh, but difficult--and totally appropriate for the series imo. It seems like your central gripes deal with the fact that it's harder than X5...and I don't see why that makes it so terrible. If you want every collectible--get good, or deal with the collectibles you're able to find. Not a bad mechanic at all, esp. in a series known for difficulty.

-Swerd Murd

Owner of VINTAGE Games. http://www.vintagegames.us

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MegaStoneSmash91

175. Posted:

Time to show a little love for Mega Man 7, so here's Freeze Man's theme. It's so COOL! :D

And.....Surprise, surprise! Here's the 8-bit version of it.

Beep.
That is all.

3DS Friend Code: 2423-2791-1985 | Nintendo Network ID: MegaStoneSmash91

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MegaStoneSmash91

176. Posted:

Oh, and here's some more MM7 tunes:

Even these shorter, more repetitive songs are great.

Beep.
That is all.

3DS Friend Code: 2423-2791-1985 | Nintendo Network ID: MegaStoneSmash91

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveWarlock

177. Posted:

Mickeymac wrote:

MegaStoneSmash91 wrote:

I actually kind of like X6. It is difficult, but it gets easier as you make progress through the game (and after you've played it a few times). The Mavericks are are a good bunch, and the 2 new Armors are pretty interesting and fun to use. My one major gripe with it is the Nightmare Enemies. They turn rescuable reploids Maverick so you can't get the Power-up that the reploid may have had. It gets frustrating when you see some reploids and then the Nightmares swoop in so you have to act quickly to save them (it gets real bad in Infinity Mijinion's stage). But no matter what negative things you have to say about X6, the soundtrack is excellent.

MegaMeister, you just proved that you are the biggest Mega Man fan that ever existed. What you just explained there in your effort to defend it is exactly what makes it a terrible game. It's beyond hard that requires multiple playthroughs before it becomes managable. And part of that difficulty stems from the glitches and unfair challenges, and the occasionally terrible level design. The Nightmares were the worst because if that civilian died they never came back, and since you don't know what they're carrying, you may lose out on an item that you need to finish the game. This is just not good gameplay, IMO. The whole thing feels rushed and poorly thought out, which it was since there was never supposed to be a Mega Man X6.

I tried really, really, reeeealy hard to like Mega Man X6, but I couldn't. There was nothing to like. It just wasn't a good game, and from my experience. I didn't even like the sound track, which lacked as much soul as the rest of the game. You're free to like it, and you're free to defend it - The power-ups were cool (but were in MMX5 and X8, and were easier to obtain), the Bosses were interesting, and the new armors were neat, even though they weren't much of an improvement over the armors in X5 - But I'll tell you this, you're fighting a hard battle my friend. Good luck.

I can agree with that. X6 was a pile of rubbish. The X series got worse as they went on if you ask me.
X6 was clearly rushed, poorly thought out and beyond frusturating. X5 and X6 especially were the only MMX Titles I didn't enjoy, mind you I haven't played X7 and X8 and I never will ;) That aside, with X6 I couldn't believe how uncreative and horrible the final boss was....I mean honestly, it was pretty damn generic.

As far as the X series goes, X1 is classic, X2 while not as good, is still the best sequal in MMX series, I wasn't crazy over X3, and X4 actually turned out to be pretty decent. I know I'm not getting technical and into detail about the X series, but that's because I haven't played them in so long. While MegaStoneSmash91 probably plays them to death everyday and dreams about the boss patterns in his sleep :p

But really, X6 is easily thee' worst none 3D MMX game....Talk about irritating, unfair, poorly designed, with an unmemorable stinker of a soundtrack and craptastic art direction. And didn't X5 have a time limit for each stage? That was insanely annoying! Really though my minds VERY clouded regarding the X series....I remember that one particular Boss MAX in X6 who was incredibly difficult to the point where I wanted destroy my TV. I can't recall how many times I got my whooped by his cheap ! When all said and done I'm not exactly a big fan of the X series.....1 and maybe 2 are good enough for me as the rest just aren't up to par and the X series for me gets tiring fast. But if we're talking Classic Mega Man, oh god yes :D

Edited on by theblackdragon

Currently Playing: Ghouls 'n Ghosts!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

StuffyStuff

178. Posted:

@Tasuki - Great call on Top Man's song. Top Man himself is the worst boss of all imo but his song and level were pretty cool. I like the rotating top hop at the end. I think what makes Quick Man's theme so underrated is that it isn't a conventional song. What I mean by that is that you can rock out to Metal Man and Wood Man because they are pretty straight forward songs, but the percussion in Quick Man's music is a bit funky at the beginning. It's very complicated but it's cool.

The X series is weird. I think what makes it hard to judge is that they take place across three generations of consoles whereas the original series is strictly NES (I know 9 and 10 aren't actually NES, but the graphics are the same.)

Here's a question for you people. I played MM6 the other day, and I can't help but get annoyed with the weapon you get from Wind Man. He attacks you with a cool propeller weapon, and you get equipped with a useless wimpy mini tornado that never appears in the level at any point. Do you get bugged when you beat a Top Man or a Wind Man who attacks you with something cool, and the weapon you get is something...uncool? Sorry for all the opinion in this post.

StuffyStuff

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

179. Posted:

@Swerd_Mund

Personally, I like Mega Man because it's difficult but fair, but Mega Man X6 is just punishing. I can never see those Nightmares coming, so I always have to reload the save until I memorize every one of their positions, which is a ton of work. And some of those items seem necessary to complete the game, or at least it would be next to impossible to beat the game without it. It's just all way too much for me, and I see no reason to put up with it. Like Waveboy said, the game feels rushed, and lacks the polish and interestiing locals and enemies that make the rest of the series worth playing.

And Yeah, I am complaining that Mega Man X6 is harder than X5. Because why do I have to put up with a game that requires you to have split-second reflexes and a inhumanly good memory in order to obtain a power-up when I can go to X5 - or any other game in the series for that matter - where I don't have to worry about some sparsely seen assailant taking away my precious items? Heck, Mega Man X5 (an by default the rest of the series) is the better game overall, too, so why should I have to put up with Mega Man X6 at all?!

@MegaStoner

Mega Man 7 had some of my favorite tunes. Thanks for that.:)

@Waveboy

Er, thanks for being helpful, but I think you need to lay off MegaStonerMeister a bit.:P

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

180. Posted:

@MegaStonerSmasher91

Is the 91 in your name an indication of your age or does it just relate to the Year Mega Man 4 came out?

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~