General Discussion Forum

Topic: The Mega Man Fan Club

Showing 1,521 to 1,540 of 1,596

AuthorMessage

Karakato

1,521. Posted:

MM 5 IMO is the middle ground of the series and also the safest entry. It plays like a charm and the most of the stages and Robot Masters have a unique quirk that were fun to plough through, but the game felt like it was just, there. It never did anything to enhance the previous game's mechanics unless you count minor additions like the super arrow (an item that felt almost redundant since Rush was already available) and Beat(who is my least favorite support unit in the series). Even then, it didn't feel like a step up the way 2, 3 and 4 felt. It didn't really help that the weapons you get are overshadowed by your charge shot. Rambling aside, I still enjoy MM5 and think it's the most "polished" game of the series if you don't count weapons.

Plus, the music in the game is a blast to listen to, plus the fan remixes aren't too shabby either:
Rockman Holic - Napalm Jazz
We Are Rock-Men - Dark Man Side-R

Fancy a Karrot Cake?
Deviant Art Profile
Tumblr Page
My Backlog

The Rest is Silence.

AuthorMessage

Romeo

1,522. Posted:

only played Mega Man 2 and Mega Man 3.. what other mega man games would you recommend?

and seriously.. how hard could it possibly be to simply give us a new Mega Man game??
capcom has A LOT of fans, they all LOVE mega man... the game would definitely sell well and wouldn't cost that much to develop (especially compared to other games)

• these types of games don't need 2,5+ year development time... why won't the simply give us a new one? :/

Romeo

AuthorMessage

WaveyChristmas

1,523. Posted:

Romeo wrote:

only played Mega Man 2 and Mega Man 3.. what other mega man games would you recommend?

and seriously.. how hard could it possibly be to simply give us a new Mega Man game??
capcom has A LOT of fans, they all LOVE mega man... the game would definitely sell well and wouldn't cost that much to develop (especially compared to other games)

• these types of games don't need 2,5+ year development time... why won't the simply give us a new one? :/

Next to 2, it's the greatest Mega man sequel ever made. To fully enjoy and appreciate MM2 you just had to of played it during it's late 1988' release. It's shortcomings are clearly obvious now....Slow ladder climbing, the controls aren't as kinetic, quick or responsive as the later sequels starting with 3(6 gimped the slide mechanic ;) ) and wily's castle(Amazing bosses aside) was very disappointing, especially when parried against the originals.

I went from 1, then a few months later to 2 during 89' and it's outstanding just how much better 2 was than 1. 2 was absolute magic. The original however was groundbreaking during it's hay day, there was nothing else like it. But 2?....2 just killed it. 3 however, never gelled with me and i remember feeling pretty ho hum after spending an hour or two with it the first time i rented it. Plays GREAT, but the robot masters, music and darker theme just weren't clicking with me.

Edited on by WaveyChristmas

Currently Playing: Kirby's Dreamland 2!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage

Karakato

1,524. Posted:

@Romeo You've basically played the best of the series, sans MM9. If you haven't gotten it yet, try it out for yourself if you have a PS3/360/Wii. Definitely has the best and most challenging stages in the Classic series. I could also recommend you try out MMIV(GB), MMV(GB) on the 3DS and MM10 on consoles. All great games and definitely friendly to new-comers. Classic games aside, the MM X series is also great and recommend you try out the first one on VC if you have the time.

As to why Capcom's not releasing Mega Man games, just be thankful you have alot of backlog to play through seeing that you basically only played 2 games of the (classic) series. There are over 100 games in the franchise and for a niche game series, that is damn impressive. One can go on that the series is being treated poorly by Capcom but looking back, that isn't the case. We've had characters from the series appearing in fighting games like Marvel vs. Capcom and even Smash Bros., we've also had numerous game rereleases to introduce newcomers thus sparking interest in the series itself. Mega Man isn't Capcom's cash cow but it gets decent recognition for a series with a very vocal minority.

Youtube Lp'er Clement gave out a solid argument regarding this and you can watch it HERE.

Edited on by Karakato

Fancy a Karrot Cake?
Deviant Art Profile
Tumblr Page
My Backlog

The Rest is Silence.

AuthorMessage

WaveyChristmas

1,525. Posted:

Has anybody else completed Mega Man 10 on 'hard' mode with mega man?
I have. The 2nd stage of Wily's castle will kick the pixelated tears right out of you! :P

We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!

AuthorMessage

WanderFan91

1,526. Posted:

What I find cool about Mega Man V was that its soundtrack was composed by Mari Yamaguchi, who also helped contribute some of the music in the first Breath of Fire and composed soundtracks for Super Ghouls'n Ghosts and The Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse. :) She's a cool composer.

The final boss encounter in Mega Man VI was just too easy for me; with the previous five games it at least took me a few tries to beat the final boss (with its multiple forms), but with this entry there just wasn't enough effort on it I felt and beat it on my first try.

@Romeo - I recommend you play Mega Man IV next (the NES one). It's a neat entry, plus during some portions of it there is a Russian motif which I find interesting. And the Robot Masters in it were cool too, like Skull Man and Pharaoh Man. :) You could even charge your blaster for the first time in the series here (also it introduces the lottery robot Eddie, who you'll meet from time to time).

Never played the Game Boy Mega Man games.

You know what's ironic about Mega Man VII? Aside from the fact that it got a PAL release but Mega Man VI didn't at the time (much like the fact that Breath of Fire II got a PAL release but the first one didn't at the time)? (I'm sorry, but you'd think that gamers in the PAL region, with titles like these retained and unaltered, would all be like: "Wait, did we skip a game?") The fact that (outside of being a part of Mega Man Anniversary Collection) it wasn't rereleased once. Even Mega Man 8 had more than one version of it (it was made for both the PlayStation One and the Sega Saturn).

To each their own

Edited on by WanderFan91

AKA StarBoy91
Wanderloggery | StarBlog
Check out my Personal Super Famicom Recommendations
Massive retro gamer with a heart <3
Big Wander Over Yonder fan
23 and proud =)
To each their own

AuthorMessage

MegaStoneSmash91

1,527. Posted:

Karakato wrote:

MM 5 IMO is the middle ground of the series and also the safest entry. It plays like a charm and the most of the stages and Robot Masters have a unique quirk that were fun to plough through, but the game felt like it was just, there. It never did anything to enhance the previous game's mechanics unless you count minor additions like the super arrow (an item that felt almost redundant since Rush was already available) and Beat(who is my least favorite support unit in the series). Even then, it didn't feel like a step up the way 2, 3 and 4 felt. It didn't really help that the weapons you get are overshadowed by your charge shot. Rambling aside, I still enjoy MM5 and think it's the most "polished" game of the series if you don't count weapons.

Basically how I feel about it as well. It just doesn't feel as good as the other games. You and @Tasuki have already pointed out some of the problems I have with it, but I'll give a little list of them anyway.

-This is strictly my opinion, but the music seems rather underwhelming when compared to other games in the series. Most of it is slow and not too catchy or all that fun to listen to. It makes good background noise, but isn't good for a whole lot else. Rarely do I find myself humming the songs, mostly because I can barely remember how they go. I do like Star Man's stage theme, though, as well as the Wily stage theme.
-The Special Weapons are some of the worst ever. Most of them are pretty useless aside from using them on the Robot Masters themselves. The Mega Buster outperforms all of them. The weapon you start the game with and that doesn't require energy is better than everything else you have to work for to acquire.
-The lack of varied and themed enemies. A good number of the enemies are used in just about every stage, and there are very few themed ones that fit the stage they appear in.
-This is the only game in the series that reuses the original boss rooms for the Wily Teleporter re-fights. Instead of a recolored room to fit with Wily's Castle, entering one of the teleporters will put you into the exact same room that you fought the Robot Master in at the end of his stage. Even the boss gate is still there.
-Speaking of the boss gates, they aren't as tall in this one for some reason. Pointless and odd.
-Rush Coil has been downgraded. Normally, jumping on Rush's back would activate a spring which caused Mega Man to be launched upward automatically, In this game, the spring has been moved to Rush's belly, and he now acts as a sort of platform. When you jump on him, he jumps with Mega Man on his back. You now must manually jump off his back after he jumps to get anywhere. It basically feels like a speedy version of Item 1 from Mega Man 2. It also requires more energy now, using 4 bars instead of 3.
-Also of note, while not technically a problem, is the abundance of 1-ups. It isn't uncommon to get 3 extra lives in one stage, or possibly even more. The drop rate of 1-ups from enemies must have been increased or something, and it makes Game Overs an extremely rare occurrence. In fact, I have never gotten a Game Over on Mega Man 5. Not once. I actually had to look up the Game Over theme to hear it at all since I had never had the chance through normal play.

That's pretty much all I can think of. I do still enjoy playing 5, but it isn't one of my favorites. None of these things make it a bad game either, and it's still Mega Man.

Beep.
That is all.

3DS Friend Code: 2423-2791-1985 | Nintendo Network ID: MegaStoneSmash91

AuthorMessage

WanderFan91

1,528. Posted:

Well give Mega Man V this much credit at least: it had much better executed final boss battles than the ones you fought in Mega Man VI. :) I personally found Mega Man VI to be a weak entry (how unfortunate that it had to be the Blue Bomber's 8-bit swansong; but I'll take it over average and stale Mega Man VII any day--I didn't like how that game handled the Proto Man whistle sound effect (among other things), I thought it sounded a little off compared to the 8-bit sound), and I beat the final boss in VI one on my first try.

And now that you mention it, I did find it curious how Mega Man V gave you several lives (sometimes in a row).

To each their own

Edited on by WanderFan91

AKA StarBoy91
Wanderloggery | StarBlog
Check out my Personal Super Famicom Recommendations
Massive retro gamer with a heart <3
Big Wander Over Yonder fan
23 and proud =)
To each their own

AuthorMessage

Karakato

1,529. Posted:

Mega Man 6 is one of the weaker games of the classic series yes but I still find it to be an impressive NES game, the backgrounds have to be the best of the first 6 games. Just take a look a Tomahawk Man's stage for reference. The branching paths gave an interesting quirk to the stages and even if it wasn't a major game changer, it gave me more incentive to replay the stages just to complete all my items. Speaking of items, the new Rush armors have to be the best support items in the series behind MM3's Rush Jet. The Rush Jet armor in particular is a blast to use plus I love that sprite of him flying in the air. I may be in the minority in this one but I thought the sound track was one of the better OST's and had more great songs than the likes of MM2. Best tracks include Flame man, Tomahawk man and X castle 1. I just like the combinations of the instruments used and the more complex composition IMO.

But yeah, MM6 isn't perfect and I already explained months ago that the bosses weren't that great. Also my biggest gripe has to be a nitpick interestingly. Unlike past games, when Mega man slides, you cannot jump and cancel it. It doesn't sound that bad but I've bumped into more enemies than regularly. It also doesn't help that I like to jump in between my slides.

Fancy a Karrot Cake?
Deviant Art Profile
Tumblr Page
My Backlog

The Rest is Silence.

AuthorMessage

WaveyChristmas

1,530. Posted:

Just finished Mega Man II(good grief) on the 3DS's GameBoy virtual console and i'm currently working my way through III at the moment. Man...it really is true, MMII is an absolute disgrace to the franchise. By no means is it TERRIBLE, but it's barely touching mediocre. I had to force myself through this boring, poorly designed, clunky controlling, mega disaster. the music i found, in spots was quite interesting...But the instrumentals were just unfitting and lacked variety, it all sounded like one giant jumbled mess half the time. The Title screen music however is pretty fantastic though. ;)

As for III, it's a massive step up, and it's 'almost' up to NES mega man standards. However, i'm baffled that the ladder climbing is still morbidly slow(This was fixed in MM3 for the NESwhich came out in 1990, yet MMIII for the GB came out in 92....er?) and the controls still aren't quite as fluid, quick and zippity as they are in Mega Man 3-6 on the NES either. Still a little floaty and a smidge clunky reminiscent of MM1 & 2 on the NES.
Really, what's the excuse? Are they purposely saving these improvements for Mega man IV and V? :P

Also, Skull, Drill and Dust man's stage design are far more enjoyable than their crummy NES MM4 counterparts. I've got Dive men left to tackle then it's on to Dr. Wily's and his massive fat SkullOLicious Castle.

Oh, and i really liked the addition of that bouncy oversized Octopus Battery Boss which you encounter after you finish the first 4 robot masters during that short mid-stage. I'd honestly rather play these games on a GBA SP or gameboy color because the 3DS's tiny B&A buttons are a bit of a pain to use for gameboy/nes games....I can't play as well because of it, and there's also emulation lag to go along with it, which is pushing about 1 frame.

AuthorMessage

Karakato

1,531. Posted:

@Waveboy You should have kept your XL model for the VC games :P The OG looks slick sure, but it has one of the worst button feels of the Nintendo handheld line right after the Mushy DS Lite buttons. Anyway, all the Gameboy Mega Man games have the floaty jump physics whether you like it or not. You'll just have to work with that irk just to appreciate the last two games.

Fancy a Karrot Cake?
Deviant Art Profile
Tumblr Page
My Backlog

The Rest is Silence.

AuthorMessage

WaveyChristmas

1,532. Posted:

Karakato wrote:

@Waveboy You should have kept your XL model for the VC games :P The OG looks slick sure, but it has one of the worst button feels of the Nintendo handheld line right after the Mushy DS Lite buttons. Anyway, all the Gameboy Mega Man games have the floaty jump physics whether you like it or not. You'll just have to work with that irk just to appreciate the last two games.

The XL definitely would of been a better keep strictly for VC content, but eh. :P And i must be losing it but i honestly didn't enjoy MMIV that much. Yes, it's better than it's NES counterpart, but like 4 & 5 it has adopted most of their terrible music, lame robot masters and i can't get over the fact that i'm still playing mega man in black and white. this alone degrades the experience for me big time. Stages start to look all the same and the impact they leave is a bit of a confusing blur. MMIV is clearly a good mega man game, it even bests MM4 on the NES but it still wasn't as memorable to me. I need color in my games, playing MM in black and white is absolutely lifeless. :P I'm officially Mega'd out. I finished II,III and IV in the past 2 days. It's always wiser to split sequels in a franchise apart from one another rather than plowing through them back to back.....which equals a downword spiral into 'I'm so sick of this!" :P

Anyhoo, i actually enjoyed III just a smidge more than IV surprisingly. IV has higher production values, is more refined and put together better, but 3 poses more challenge, has better robot masters and better music. I also found the Wily battle, Punk & Giant Octo-battery more enjoyable than the bosses including wily in IV''s Wily castle.

It would of been far interesting to see Mega Man 1 & 2 get the treatment that 4 and 5 did for MMIV.

Looking forward to playing V which will be an entirely new game all together with a fresh new soundtrack. I'll probably give it a go in a couple of weeks, need to space things out and play something else.

AuthorMessage

WaveyChristmas

1,533. Posted:

Went back and played Mega Man 4 on the NES and wow, what a difference in controls.....Quick, fluid, zippity, tight with great jumping. Where as in the GB outings MM has floaty jumping and slower controls, combine this with the 3DS XL's tiny cramped B&A buttons makes the GB series a bit of a pain to play....I didn't realise the difference was so huge until i went back to the later NES sequels....

Hopefully V does it for me, because i could of easily went without the others. the Black & White visuals and mediocre controls truly make it hard for me to appreciate them in all of their bite sized mega glory, which is a shame because the stage design for example in IV trumps NES mega man 4's.

AuthorMessage

ogo79

1,534. Posted:

WaveBoy wrote:

Went back and played Mega Man 4 on the NES and wow, what a difference in controls.....Quick, fluid, zippity, tight with great jumping. Where as in the GB outings MM has floaty jumping and slower controls, combine this with the 3DS XL's tiny cramped B&A buttons makes the GB series a bit of a pain to play....I didn't realise the difference was so huge until i went back to the later NES sequels....

WaveBoy wrote:

Yes, it's better than it's NES counterpart,

i knew you couldnt possibly mean that :*

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

1,535. Posted:

Well I have been in the beta for Playstation Now (Sony's game streaming app) and they have Mega Man 9 for $7.99 kinda tempted to pick it up and try it out.

Push Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage

WaveyChristmas

1,536. Posted:

Tasuki wrote:

Well I have been in the beta for Playstation Now (Sony's game streaming app) and they have Mega Man 9 for $7.99 kinda tempted to pick it up and try it out.

You're missing out on what is quite possibly thee' best MM game ever made. Get on it like a greasy box of vintage turtle pies! B-) it has better controls, tighter level design(Although not as creative) and more fine tuned(Some of MM2's felt a little sloppy, i'm looking at you quick man) boss battles than MM2 plus it carries a similar magical tone as it feels like a true successor which was inafune's goal. Safe to say that he succeeded. Mega man 10 however, i felt was a downer. Robots everywhere sick with Roboenza, Overlt serious uninteresting plot, dark depressing less catchy tunes, one of the weakest sets of robot maste ect ect. if felt like capcom was just going through the paces again instead of making another great mega man game that stands on it's own.

I've got no love for 6 & 10...Meanwhile i could easily do without 4(If only it had game boy IV mega man's stage design and Wily's castle) and especially 5.

2,9,1 & MM&B still remain as my favorites. Anyhoo, I'm thrilled like Popsicle Pete that MM7 is finally hitting the Wii U's virtual console. :D It's about time crapcom, you've been sucking hard as of late but at least you're finally dishing out the VC classics.

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

1,537. Posted:

Alright after doing betas, and alphas I am finally able to get back to Mega Man V. Final got past Uranus' stage and my god what an annoying stage. Those Egyptian Dog mini boss things and just the length of it. I hope the last two aren't as long. Managed to grab the gem from his stage and Pluto's as well.

Push Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage

ogo79

1,538. Posted:

Tasuki wrote:

Final got past Uranus' stage and my god what an annoying stage.

yeah i wouldnt hang around that guy too long if was you

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

AuthorMessage

WaveyChristmas

1,539. Posted:

Going to fire up MM V for the GB later on tonight. I'm really looking forward to it since it's an actual 'original' Mega Man sequel, rather than the past 4 remixes, which all had familiar yet GameBoy-ified mega man music, familiar stages(although revamped, and superior than the Robot master stages present in Mega man 4 on the NES for ex), same bosses(aside from the Mega man killers and wily's fiendish Skull machines), same patters, same enemies, you get the drill. Going in to them almost felt like a chore. The Black & White visuals have made my experience with them feel like a complete blur to be honest. :P

Uranus shall be my first pick. I love robot masters based on stinky planets. ;) Ogo can relate, what, with that ancient cluster of smelly moldy chester cheetos stuck in that massive belly button of his.

AuthorMessage

Karakato

1,540. Posted:

@Waveboy Mmm, I have a feeling you have a big interest in Uranus, but I'm afraid, you can't choose him in the start. This game's structure is like the past GB games, where you must fight the first four sets of bosses before moving on to the second. And guess where Uranus lies in ;)

Fancy a Karrot Cake?
Deviant Art Profile
Tumblr Page
My Backlog

The Rest is Silence.