Forums

Topic: The Mega Man Fan Club

Posts 1,301 to 1,320 of 1,455

Ryno

Tasuki wrote:

Man I am so hooked right now on Mega Man X. I wrapped up and got the rest of the heart tanks as well as defeated the rest of the bosses now I am on my way to Sigma. Can't wait to add this game to my list of Mega Man games that I finished. I am really glad I gave this game a second chance.

I just recently finished this game on the Wii U VC for the first time and enjoyed every minute of it. I like it better then X2, the only other X game I have played so far.

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

Ryno

CountWavula wrote:

@Gutincognito,
How dare you place 2 & 1's OST's so low, that should be a count chocula crime! most will agree that 2 has the greatest and most memorable OST in the entire series. But eh, if we all felt the same way what a boring mega man community it would be. It's always interesting to see different peoples tastes after all.

I am with you on MM 2 being the greatest in the series. It's one of my favorite all time video game soundtracks actually.

What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

KarrotMan

@ArchDukeWavey No, another artist will take the helm. This time it's Ben Bates, Here's a sample of Quick Man in action. The pencils here are better than the last arc imo but still doesn't compare to Spaz's work. Spaz won't be doing the pencils from here on out, but he will still do the covers. The good news though is that he will be doing the pencils for the new Megaman X comic series, which will have a pilot on Mega Man # 34 on Feb '14.
Untitled
Untitled

Edited on by KarrotMan

Fancy a Karrot Cake?
Tweetter
Devian tArt
Mumblr Page
[em][url=http://backloggery.com/kara...

KarrotMan

@WaveBoy Hope you get invested with the Mega Man World series on the Gameboy, if you can get past the first three "sorta iffy" games and a reuse of Robot Masters, the 4th and 5th game are one of the best the Classic series has to offer. Since we can expect MM2 on the gameboy to come out and the rest to follow, I think it's best I share to you guys a brief thought of each portable Mega-mania action [CAUTION: lengthy comment ahead]

Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge For a first entry, this was a decent attempt in translating the series into the smaller screen with some hiccups. I'm sure alot of you MM fans already tried this out on the VC but I should let you know that this is the hardest of the 5 games. If you were put off by the game's difficulty don't worry, the later games are more forgiving and should be worth a look(except for the second). That aside, even with it's flaws the game had a charm to it. This may be my guilty pleasure but this is a game where the only reward for a near MM&B difficulty challenge is to see the Blue Bomber chilling out to a mellow tune with a hint of nostalgia. And that is all right with me.

Mega Man World 2 This game is a combination of MM2 and MM3 so in theory, this game should be the best of both of the greatest MM games right? Well... before it's development, Inafune-san outsourced this game to a different team that "did not get the basic fundamentals of a mega man game" and it really shows:

The presentation was mediocre. New sprites were compressed and looked out of proportion, the tile mapping is sloppy and most of all the music was so high pitched it really grates on you (just listen to Metal man's theme in this game). A shame though since the composition was great and was a different beast compared to NES counterparts.

As for the difficulty, well let's just say it's too easy to a fault. Nevermind that it took a step back in terms of level design, but the only useful weapon you'll be wanting to use is the Metal Blades since they took out the utility purposes of the Crash bomb and the Hard Knuckle. Plus don't get me started on Quint's weapon... speaking of which he's Megaman's future self who fights with a Pogo stick. I don't think I want to add on to that or I'll be writing a thesis at this point.

tl;dr This game is a mess that you should only play to study how wrong you can go with a Mega man game.

Mega Man World 3 I feel like this game suffers as the middle child, not the worst but not the best and oft forgotten like MM5&6 on the NES. It did polish Mega Man's basic actions such as the slide jump and it improved on the sound effects making it sound closer to the NES instruments. Even with all the improvements it had over the previous games, I still found the first to have an edge since it left a better impact. Still, this game was great all around and worth a look if you're in for a decent challenge.

Mega Man World 4 This is where the World series starts to really pick up. For a series as simple as Classic, it's nice to see a more story driven approach and for the most part it works without getting in the way of the game's pace. This surprised me since it successfully conveyed emotion near the end for a particular Boss. This is also the first time where we get a glimpse of a shop which is always a welcome addition. As for the levels, let's just say I'm happy to see most of the latter RM stages are revamped to reward exploration. All in all, this is a satisfying sequel that set up a groundwork for later games (particularly the 5th GB game) to follow. BTW, the Wily Golem is the best Wily fight in the entire series.

Mega Man World 5 This is the best entry in the World series. Period. It follows MM World 4's story driven approach ala DBZ and builds upon the shop system offering upgrades to your default weapon, the Mega Arm(which in itself was fun to use and opens the game for new mechanics). The Stardroids are unique, their weapons are fairly balanced with some useful utility purposes, the levels are interesting and contain secrets... but their battles are fairly predictable and are easy to read. That aside this was like a last hurrah for the World games, the devs put alot of new elements into this (like a shmup segment) and for the most part it worked out to give an experience that was out of this world. Pun intended.

If you could only play one game from the Gameboy series, go with the 5th game even if the others are worth checking out.

Edited on by KarrotMan

Fancy a Karrot Cake?
Tweetter
Devian tArt
Mumblr Page

Slayer

CountWavula wrote:

@Karakato
I actually love the fact that different artists will be helming each 4 volumes at a time. As great as Spaz's work is, i'm sure it would be tiring looking at his style issue after issue. Volume 5-8's art work wasn't exactly my cup of tea i'll admit, it looked a little too goofy for my tastes and i found it hard to take certain scenes seriously or feel any sort of emotion. , where as the first 4 perfectly captured Mega Man's official japanese artwork and had a lot of heart plunked into it. Looking forward to seeing Ben Bates work, looks even simpler than the previous 4 issues but i actually prefer the style! I'm wayyyy behind, but better late than never as they say!

Also, just for kicks and 80's chicks(zoink!) where do you guys stand on the Classic Mega Man series now? I'm sure they tend to rotate back and fourth, but after completing MM6 i thought i'd just throw down where i'd rank them without mega man 7 which is the only Classic Mega I have yet to complete.

NES Series

2 > 1 > 3 > 5 > 4 > 6

ALL

2 > 9 > 1 > MM&B > 3 > 5 > 4 > 8 > 10 > 6

Score

MM - 8
MM2 - 9.5 - (half a point off for those lack luster Wily stages, not including the awesome bosses. )
MM3 - 7.5
MM4 - 6.5
MM5 - 7
MM6 - 6
MM7 - ?
MM8 - 7
MM9 - 10
MM10 - 6
MM&B - 8 - ( I really liked this one, it's one of my favorites! it's only real downside imo was 80% of the soundtrack.)

6 was just weaaaak. A lackluster edition to a franchise that most certainly did NOT go out with a bang on the NES.
Jet Mega Man, the box art, centaur man and maybe Yamato man's theme were the only positive things that came out of it for moi. Played it on my B-day, after reading issues 5 & 6 of the mega man comic book series, while my silly little dog was secretly eating my plate of Chocolate chip cookies in the living room. Good times.

So, I looked at your ratings and honestly, I question a few.
Why do you give MM9 a higher score than MM2?
Why does MM10 have a low score for the last entry?

I have nothing really to say about myself.

Happy_Mask

@Wave I know this wasn't directed at me, but I love Flash Man and Air Man's themes probably more than any other songs in the series. Also, MM2 is without a doubt the best, it's the Mario 3 of Megaman.

[16:08] LordJumpMad Hides his gut with a griddle
[16:08] Reala: what ljm does for cash is ljm's business
[16:08] LordJumpMad: Gotta look good my my next game u_u

KarrotMan

I may have to be one of the odd balls who liked MM3 more than MM2 in terms of music and a game as a whole. MM2 may have to be the first game in the classic series I really got into and beat. I thoroughly enjoyed it and it definitely sits in my top 5 in the Classic series. Does it deserve all the praise it gets? Definitely, but MM3 did more for me.

I loved the sliding ability and how tighter and quicker Megaman controlled. I also liked how a good chunk of the levels complimented the Slide ability making some segments feel fast paced. The introduction of Rush and Proto Man was also a welcome addition.

The music in my opinion is the best in the series and while I can't deny there are a couple of duds (Needle Man for one), the ones that stand out really shine (Main theme, Spark man, Magnet man, Top man, Blues Whistle come to mind). Yes, the majority of the fans will agree that 2 had the best sound track, but aside from 3 tracks in the game I wasn't drawn in as much as I'd like to, most sit "Alright" to me but definitely are not the best. When it all comes down to it, t'is all in the matter of tastes.

It looks like I'm rambling like a cranky old person but I never intended to. MM2 again is a game deserving of all it's praise and that's not just because it popularized the series, even if it does have its problems. MM3 itself wasn't perfect too(even more-so than the latter), it was rushed and half of the Doc Robot Fights were mildly frustrating. There were a good chunk of elements that were intended to be put into the game, like cutscenes such as Break man transforming into Proto man or the stage objects junk heaps on Spark's stage, but were left out. Also, slowdowns. That said, the sum of its good elements outweigh the bad and what was introduced and polished in this game gives MM3 an edge over its predecessor in my opinion.

Edited on by theblackdragon

Fancy a Karrot Cake?
Tweetter
Devian tArt
Mumblr Page

Tasuki

@Karakato: You're not the only one. I also prefer Mega Man III to Mega Man 2. Pretty much for the reasons you stated as well.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Tasuki

Mega Man sale on the eShop this week. Weird thing is its only on the first four NES games. Not even a sale on Mega Man X on the Wii U. Still if you haven't picked up any of them now is the best time.

My Backlog

DoodleDudeShow

I really wish Capcom would make Megaman Legends 3....

Check out the latest thrilling Nintendo Let's Play and become a friend of the show. Can't wait to see ya!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/DoodleDudeShow

Twitter:

Ryno

CountWavula wrote:

Ryno wrote:

CountWavula wrote:

@Gutincognito,
How dare you place 2 & 1's OST's so low, that should be a count chocula crime! most will agree that 2 has the greatest and most memorable OST in the entire series. But eh, if we all felt the same way what a boring mega man community it would be. It's always interesting to see different peoples tastes after all.

I am with you on MM 2 being the greatest in the series. It's one of my favorite all time video game soundtracks actually.

What's your favorite MM2 track of the Mega man litter? Hands down for me, and it will always be.... Bubble Man
That track blew me away when i got my hands on this game back in 89' It perfectly captures the feeling of being in a aquatic/water based setting, more than any other non-mega man related 8-bit chip tune on ze' NES. That aside, Wood & Air would have to be next in line, with metal and crash falling in last place.

My favorites are in order Air Man, Metal Man (ha!, see your not a big of it), Bubble Man, Wood Man, Flash Man, Quick Man, Crash Man, Heat Man.

Tasuki wrote:

Mega Man sale on the eShop this week. Weird thing is its only on the first four NES games. Not even a sale on Mega Man X on the Wii U. Still if you haven't picked up any of them now is the best time.

Yeah, I will pick up 1-4 while they are on sale this week. I hope they release 6 eventually. Maybe they will have another Mega sale that will include 5-6, and X-X3 though I already got X when it was on sale for 50% with the purchase of Ghosts n' Goblins. What a random sale that was.

What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Tasuki

Ugh its been awhile I am stuck on the disappearing block part in Magnet Man's level.

My Backlog

KarrotMan

@Tasuki, huh, I thought Magnet man's block puzzles were very easy compared to Heat man's level. Once you get the timing down, it's very predictable unlike Heat man where the pattern can throw you off. Besides if all that fails, the superior Rush jet can bypass this.

I hope the Mega man sale is an indication of Nintendo's interest in the franchise and not just for the smash bros. promotion... but ehh, wishful thinking can get the better of me. Also, we need the Gameboy games pronto, MM 4 & 5 is a must play for all fans.

Fancy a Karrot Cake?
Tweetter
Devian tArt
Mumblr Page

ThePirateCaptain

@CountWavula
I actually just finished playing through Mega Man 7 again, and my opinion of it hasn't really changed. It's certainly a breath of fresh air after 6 NES games, but I just don't like it all that much. I feel like some of the level designs are just plain annoying, and having hidden items spread throughout levels was a cool idea, but it's done nowhere near as well as in the X series. Right now I need to replay Mega Man 8 to see which of the two takes the cake as my least favorite Classic game

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

shingi_70

X is joining the Megaman comic series.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Tasuki

Well I finally got to sit down and play Mega Man the Wily Wars which is basically the Super Mario Allstars for Mega Man. Its nice to see the graphics in 16 bit glory it reminds me alot of Mega Man 7. The music however I am not to keen on the remixes. For one thing it sounds like they slowed down the songs from their original versions. Controls are a bit tighter then what I am use to playing them on the NES which has caused my timing to be a bit off in places. For one thing it feels like Mega Man is moving in molasses but I got use to it quick enough. One thing that bugs me and threw me off in the Gemini Man stage is that when Mega Man is using either the Rush Jet or the Rush Marine if you touch something he will automatically get out of the craft. I only played Mega Man 3 but so far its a faithful remake of the series. I hope that one day this will come to VC services.

Edited on by Tasuki

My Backlog

Sorry, this topic has been locked.