Forums

Topic: The Mana (Seiken Densetsu) Fan Thread

Posts 101 to 120 of 200

Tyranexx

@BruceCM Thanks! Will do! I might update this thread on occasion with my progress...or if I'm confused about something. XD Hoping to start the game this evening.

@NintendoByNature Ah, so it's not the destination, that's usually the problem, but the journey on the way....Hmm. I'm thinking of starting out without a guide but keeping a link for one nearby in case I really get turned around lol.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

BruceCM

Yeah, there's various places it might be a bit tricky working out where to go or how to get there, @Tyranexx .... I even had to check guides a few times but you might manage without

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Xyphon22

@Tyranexx I had never played any of these games either until I got the Collection and played this not that long ago. Maybe it was because I had heard from people how difficult it was, but I only resorted to a guide one time and that was within a dungeon because I couldn't figure out a puzzle room. If you just make sure to pay attention to what people say, you should never really get lost. And bring lots of keys into the dungeons. Like over 20 at least probably. It is possible to get trapped in a dungeon and your only recourse is to restart the whole game over. That almost happened to me but I was just able to backtrack out of the dungeon and to a town to buy more keys.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

Tasuki

Yeah, when I played FFA a few months ago I tried not to use a guide but I ended up needing to in a few places. It wasn't to bad I just confused myself. As for the game it does have its charm and I enjoyed it. It's a nice "snack size" edition to the Mana series.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

NintendoByNature

For the gameboy I thought the music was stellar as well.

NintendoByNature

Tasuki

I have found also which shouldn't be a surprised that FFA looks better in handheld mode. I found myself playing it mostly undocked, beings that its a Gameboy game and all.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Tyranexx

I intend to play the game mostly undocked as I feel like handheld is the way to play. I haven't fired up the game just yet but intend to shortly.

I did look up the intro theme, and if the rest of the soundtrack is just as amazing....I'm a sucker for classic video game tunes.

@NintendoByNature, @BruceCM Haha, we'll see! I'll have a guide a couple of clicks away just in case.

@Xyphon22 I might not have too bad of a time then; I tend to talk to just about everyone in most games that I play; it's one of the reasons why standard RPGs take me a bit longer than some to complete. XD

I've made a mental note about the keys. I find it odd that they aren't discoverable in the dungeon, though I suppose not everything has to be like the Zelda series.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

BruceCM

Cool, keep us posted, @Tyranexx ....

SW-4357-9287-0699

Xyphon22

@Tyranexx There are a couple of enemies that will drop keys, but they are usually only found in the first couple of dungeons when you may not have amounted a lot yet. After that, you are on your own to make sure you have plenty. I guess that is something else that I used a guide for, just to find this random information like that about enemies and keys. I never had to use one to actually figure out where to go next, though.

Xyphon22

Krull

Fun to see that others are playing FFA too! I’ve been dipping in and out of the shiny remake, Adventure of Mana, that Square did for Vita and mobile. A lick of paint (and it’s not much more than that) can’t hide the fact that this is a pretty old game, but I’ve been having a ball nonetheless. I’m amazed at how substantial it is for a Game Boy title. I have used a guide once (Jadd desert dungeon), but then kicked myself because I had been doing the right thing but in the wrong place. Now up to the Dime Tower, which feels like it’s nearing the endgame - but I’m already up to 10hrs.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

Tyranexx

Some of my household spring cleaning took longer than I intended yesterday, but I did fit in a little over an hour of FFA. I'm not very far in at all; I last saved right before starting my first dungeon (Marsh?). I generally haven't had too many problems figuring out where to go yet. I've adapted fairly well to the battle system. The story is a little barebones with some translation oddities, but it's easy enough to follow; TBH I don't mind a brief break from a deep narrative. Wasn't sure what to pick on names, so I just went with Kana for the hero (because I'm DEFINITELY not playing FE Fates right now lol) and May for the girl. May is currently missing, and I suspect it has something to do with that castle we stayed in....

Besides the retro factor the game offers, I'd say my favorite thing so far is the music. That opening theme especially....How could something like that have started out on the humble Game Boy?

@Xyphon22 I've admittedly already used a guide somewhat just for those useful info tidbits, not so much on where to go next. As this game is a pretty faithful emulation of the original, a lot of the tricks are still in too!

Tyranexx

I'll just be referring to the two named characters in FFA as Hero and Girl at this point. I'm a bit embarrassed with the Meh names I picked. XD

Needless to say the rest of this post is full of spoilers after this point. Reader, you have been warned.

I accomplished quite a bit in a little over an hour last night. In the session before last, Hero and Girl visited Cibba and found that the Girl is a descendant of the Mana Tree guardians (or something like that), and that her family has watched over it for ages. Then the village they're in comes under attack by dark forces, and the guy who helped us out in Marsh Cave shows up and says that he'll take the Girl to safety. Surprise, surprise, the mysterious dude is really Julius in disguise! He runs off with Girl towards his airship, and the Hero makes to chase after them and stumbles across a cave of dwarves. Thus ended the session before last.

During my last session, I found the dwarf, Watts, and a pile of silver in yet another short (yet fun!) dungeon that involved a high-speed mine cart commute. Of course, he created weapons and silver out of the armor and (for a fee) sold it to the Hero. All decked out, the Hero meandered his way towards a lake to the north where the airship was refueling. On the way, Bogard the knight joined up with the Hero.

Upon reaching the airship, the Hero smited monsters and stumbled through it for some time, not realizing that he cough overlooked the room where the Girl was locked away. Just as she was found, the ship began to move! The door to the cell was locked, so Bogard stayed with her as the Hero rushed outside to rescue her from a nearby window.

The Hero reaches the window, where the Girl gives him her Mana pendant. Just then, Julius appears, works some crazy magic, and knocks the Hero off the airship! He falls through the air into a roof below. Turns out the place belongs to his friend Amanda (who we see near the beginning of the game) who nurses him back to health...but steals the pendant without the Hero's knowledge. I suspect there are reasons why this occurred, but I can't confirm those yet.

After coming to, Amanda is nowhere to be found. The Hero sells and restocks on items in the village and checks out the forest to the north. There, he finds a mysterious egg, which houses his very own chicken horse Chocobo! I'm not complaining about mounts in games!

Anyway...after some desert shenanigans, the Hero found himself in a new town, where some musically inclined boy is apparently hiding...and that's when I ended my session.

BruceCM

Sounds like you're enjoying that, @Tyranexx ....

SW-4357-9287-0699

Tyranexx

@BruceCM Definitely. The story is really opening up more now, and I'm getting a good handle on the flow of the game. I'm still impressed that something like this started out on the humble Game Boy.

BruceCM

Yeah, it's a basic story but it's well done, @Tyranexx.... They had some great games back then

SW-4357-9287-0699

Xyphon22

@Tyranexx I don't know if you have played Secret of Mana before, but I had never played any of the games until I got the Collection. I had heard so many good things about SoM, but I actually enjoyed this first game much more. I haven't gotten around to Trials yet (I'm playing Earthlock right now, and only like to have one RPG going at a time), but FFA is a lot of fun.

Xyphon22

NintendoByNature

I enjoyed adventure so much more than secret too. I still cant believe how good it was for a gameboy game

NintendoByNature

Tyranexx

@BruceCM Most definitely! Link's Awakening, Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins, the first two Pokemon generations, and the first two Wario Land entries are among some of my favorites from the Game Boy!

@Xyphon22 I have yet to play Secret of Mana (despite owning it on both the SNES Classic and CoM) but have had it talked up to me quite a bit. We'll see how much I like it, I suppose. With Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition around the corner though, it'll likely be some time before I get to it. As for Trials, I hope to play the original that's part of CoM and likely will pick up the remake sometime down the road.

I also don't typically juggle more than one JRPG at once, though I've made an exception with FFA and FE: Fates since the former's story, while decent, doesn't go too in-depth.

BruceCM

Definitely recommend SoM & Trials of Mana Remake, @Tyranexx .... Nearly finished my 1st playthrough of that & it's the best of the 3

SW-4357-9287-0699

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic