Forums

Topic: The Goodbye/Vacation Thread

Posts 3,001 to 3,020 of 3,672

Tyranexx

Thanks all! Glad to know you understand. ^_^

@Woomy_NNYes I usually turn off my phone before bed and have a tendency to silence it or put it into airplane mode depending on the time of day. The problem is that I sometimes forget to turn that stuff back on; people have a difficult time getting a hold of me sometimes.

@BlueOcean Same to you!

@Ralizah Thanks! It's long overdue lol.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

NEStalgia

@Tyranexx You're an idiot. There's no drama and bashing here. Get a life you Sword/Shield lover!

Not sure what is more telling. That you're taking a leave from the site to escape drama. Or that in 2019 taking a leave from online means "approximately 2 weeks"

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Obviously, everything goes faster nowadays. Keep up, ya dino...

@Tyranexx Well, never nice to see people succumb to online idiocy, but you do what you gotta do to get yourself energized and/or back up again. We old and/or "too stubborn to budge" people will still be here to welcome you back when you return from your quantum of solace...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX " We old and/or "too stubborn to budge" people will still be here to welcome you back when you return from your quantum of solace... "

Even if they build an information super-highway around our threads.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Like a roundabout circling a farmhouse...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Tyranexx

@NEStalgia To be honest, that was one of the deciding factors, but I wasn't kidding about the other things mentioned. I've debated about taking an actual sabbatical for a good while. There were periods last month when I wasn't around, but that was more due to my insane schedule IRL than choice lol. I still checked the site almost daily; I just didn't comment much.

@ThanosReXXX Heh, thanks lol. Besides what was mentioned above, I gotta do some mental hacking for a few different reasons. I figure the less distractions, the better. I spend way too much time on my phone as it is. I feel it's best to step down how often I pick it up.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

ThanosReXXX

@Tyranexx Aha, there's your answer. Using NLife on a phone is like virtual hell. I've tried it several times, but I "dislike" (aka hate) it so much, that I've reverted back to my trusty PC and keyboard. It's simply the only way to be able to hold decent online discussions on a gaming forum.

Tyranexx

@ThanosReXXX Articles themselves aren't usually bad, but posting anything more than a couple of paragraphs is murder. Due to my profession, keyboards are a LOT more efficient for yours truly. XD Plus I don't have to wrestle with autocorrect that way. A pet peeve of mine is that my phone thinks "U" is a perfectly acceptable word.

I've been debating about keeping longer posts computer only, in fact. As well as turning off email notifications for the site.

ThanosReXXX

@Tyranexx Well, I've only ever used notifications on-site, because the e-mail address linked to my account is one that I seldomly visit: I simply made it to be able to separate personal and/or hobby related things from my normal mail and business mail, seeing as I am my own company, and I don't want any game-related "spam" in the account under my real name.

So, I mostly just check the upper right corner of the site when I visit here, to see the number of replies and/or posts on forum topics that I can expect to have new additions. Switching that off entirely would make it much, much harder for me to keep up with that, and would obviously also not notify me of direct replies or tagging, which would not only annoy me to no end, but would also feel (for me personally) as impolite towards people that take the time and put in the effort to say something to me.

But yeah, totally agreed on the far worse experience of having a forum discussion on a smart phone. And indeed, it's still relatively okay for posting single and/or tagless (tag free?) comments underneath articles, but making my text walls in forums, often times replying to multiple people at once, is simply put a massive, annoying and nigh on impossible chore, for several reasons.

I also hate the whole "tap to see comments" thing underneath articles. Don't really know why, it just annoys the heck out of me...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Tyranexx

@ThanosReXXX Understandable in your case. I have separate email accounts for different affairs as well, but the one linked to my account here is one I visit frequently. I'll probably end up keeping the normal indicator on the top left as I don't want to (intentionally) be rude. XD

I don't try to make many long posts via phone these days unless I'm itching to belt something out. That's mainly why my few text walls are mostly on the weekends and some evenings; I don't get on my personal laptop too often and won't get on the site on my work machine (at least when working).

ThanosReXXX

@Tyranexx Ah, yes of course, on phones, it's on the left. And that's another pet peeve of mine, concerning the mobile site, because it isn't immediately visible, unless you tap the menu button to reveal your profile. All in all, browsing mobile contains multiple unnecessary extra actions, which makes it far less enjoyable for me.

But the rest makes sense, in your case.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

bimmy-lee

@Tyranexx - Looks like I’m a bit late here, but I understand the need to unplug from time to time. I enjoy chatting with you, so I’ll look forward to your return. I swear, I’m going to post that sugar cream pie recipe. If I do it while you’re gone, I’ll do it again when you’re back.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

NEStalgia

@Tyranexx Are U using Iwata's phone by chance? Wii agree about phone typing though.

Ugh, mobile sites. I do not have enough middle fingers to display to Google for destroying the entirety of the internet with their dictatorial "mobile first" decree from on high. I don't really care if "most people access the internet from a phone." The internet was designed around a certain functionality of long form pages and attempting to simplify it all for phones by force just forced the entire internet to make difficult to navigate, unintuative systems that don't work well on any platform so that they're minimally functional for greasy finger swipers. "Most people" can learn to use a proper tool for the job. Breaking the result so that you can use broken tools isn't an improvement. Instead of getting better phones that can navigate well laid out websites like a PC, a direction phones like Note were trying to go, the world was told to break all the websites so it can work with this month's "free with contract" phone instead.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia I don't know why, but after having read your comment, I'm all of a sudden getting these mental images of chimpanzees beating all kinds of objects with sticks and rocks...

Tyranexx

@ThanosReXXX I can easily see the notification number once I sign in, but you do have to expand it for details lol.

@bimmy-lee Thanks! I enjoy our chats as well. You've also reminded me that I need to grab that coconut cream recipe at some point....

@NEStalgia It's really down to each site's design. The problem is existing sites with nested menus haven't converted over well, so those places (like Serebii) are still best viewed on an actual PC. Some with simpler or better designed structures are more intuitive for mobile browsing.

I don't love our Google overlords, but from a modern design perspective, it makes sense. The fact remains that many people with phones prefer to do quick news browsing (like me, admittedly) on them and aren't always near a PC. I use my computer for more in-depth stuff. Again, not saying I agree with all that, but since trends tend to move that way....

Anti-Matter

Um...
I want to have some peaceful days without getting disturbed, so i will not here for several days.
Don't worry.
I will return once i'm ready.

Anti-Matter

BabyYoda71

I will be off internet from late tomorrow to early Friday, I’ll miss you guys!

Heigh Ho Heigh Ho. It’s off to work (from home) I go.

DenDen

@BabyYoshi12 have a good one!

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

DenDen

@Anti-Matter take it easy and take your time

Now playing