Forums

Topic: The Goodbye/Vacation Thread

Posts 3,001 to 3,020 of 3,039

BlueOcean

@subpopz I agree but was that what Cobalt was doing? He was knowledgeable about old Nintendo stuff, I think that it's a very underrated quality in here. Nobody cares, they just want to talk about how good the latest Switch port is.

bimmy-lee wrote:

I found out this morning that Anti-Matter has been banned, and I’m unwilling to be a part of a community that exiles decent people while some miserable, basement folk run amok. The way some people treated him for being unique is appalling. This was kind of the last straw for me, as the community has become increasingly gross, and the site itself has never recovered from Thomas Whitehead’s departure.

I am reading the thread backwards, I don't know how far I'll go. I have been reading Nintendo Life for years, years before I signed up and yes, the site's quality is much much lower now. I remember reviews and articles that were remarkable as a normal thing back then. I remember Nintendo Life was a prestigious site, something that you'd take seriously. Now it's basically superficial web feed or ridiculous rankings made by people that haven't even played the games as proved by their ignorance. The comments sections are often fanboy wars at reddit's levels. I sometimes stay away from NL and then I come back because my phone brings me a Nintendo Life story and then I start making a comment and talking to people again. I have no idea but I think that Anti-Matter will be back too, even if he was temporarily banned, so you can take a week off and when you come back perhaps he is already complaining about Sony and Microsoft and every game that is not dancing or chibi.

Edited on by BlueOcean

BlueOcean

Blitzenexx

@ThanosReXXX: Yeah, most unfortunately.

I did see some of his art, and I can say that he's a much better artist than I can ever be. XD I'm not really into the chibi boxers, but he clearly puts a lot of work into everything he draws. He's posted some of his art in the Chit-Chat Thread before; I'm probably the most fond of some of the scenes that he's posted. I'll have to check out the art thread sometime.

@BlueOcean: I've personally found NL rather tame until somewhat recently and still consider it better than many places, especially compared to the fact that I hung out on IGN once upon a time. XD I think a big part of the problem is that the Switch's (and therefore, the site's) popularity rose. While this in itself isn't necessarily a bad thing, more people = more potential for toxicity and trolling. The forums as a whole are still decent I think, but there's a reason why I don't browse as many main articles on the site as I used to.

Video Corner: Every JRPG Ever
Currently playing: Golden Sun: The Lost Age (Wii U VC), Majora's Mask 3D

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

BlueOcean

@Tyranexx I think that there are two main reasons, changes in staff/collaborators and the fact that NL has followed other websites' steps and changed for the worse. They have become a fast-food website, in layman terms, probably in an attempt to stay competitive. Switch's popularity has revived things around here somehow. I asked Thomas what they were going to talk about one year before the release of Switch, because at that time Wii U was already dead (as much as I love it) and I couldn't use Pure Xbox (same family as Nintendo Life) because it was as dead as Wii U. However, if you remember how Nintendo Life used to be, it was brimming with life before Wii U's death throes and... there is always hope.

BlueOcean

Blitzenexx

@BlueOcean: I think the staff changes had something to do with it as well. Some of the articles are still decent IMO, but I do agree that some are a little...clickbait-ish. And some of the comments...wow. Everyone's welcome to their own opinions, but when someone brings in blatant trolling or off-topic, irrelevant behavior....Well, I don't use the Ignore feature often, but I'm glad it's an option.

I've been reading the main site since roughly 2011 but didn't bother with the forums much until I joined in 2015.

BlueOcean

@Tyranexx Same here, I was more interested in the main site years ago and since I joined I spend more time on the forums, probably trying to find something more interesting to read. Some comments on the "articles" are also good but they get buried easily as this site can have hundreds of comments on each piece although it seems quieter now.

BlueOcean

ReaderRagfish

BlueOcean wrote:

I was more interested in the main site years ago and since I joined I spend more time on the forums

Same here. This has been my main Nintendo news site since 2010, but since joining the forums back in May, I've become far more interested in the community than the news.

Still waiting for Atlus to make Snowboard Kids 3

BlueOcean

ReaderRagfish wrote:

BlueOcean wrote:

I was more interested in the main site years ago and since I joined I spend more time on the forums

Same here. This has been my main Nintendo news site since 2010, but since joining the forums back in May, I've become far more interested in the community than the news.

Yeah! I think I started reading Nintendo Life around the same time and I joined the forums last year. You inspired me to finally write something on my profile.

Edited on by BlueOcean

BlueOcean

Cobalt

@BlueOcean

I just discovered this thread... Woww, I don't deserve all these compliments... o_O
But thank you for your kindness AND for having understood my point of view so well.

Come hug Banj'bru' !

Cobalt

1UP_MARIO

And his a great musician

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

As gamers we never die. We always have spare 1ups here and there and everywhere

Switch Friend Code: SW-5229-5058-9308

ReaderRagfish

@BlueOcean What a coincidence, I was actually playing Banjo Kazooie last night. I've oddly never beaten it despite 100% completing Mario 64, DK64, and Banjo Tooie.

BlueOcean

@ReaderRagfish If you completed Donkey Kong 64 100% you can do anything in this life, believe me. Are you playing the Xbox version of Banjo-Kazooie?

@1UP_MARIO Indeed. Kazooie just plays the kazoo but she is so cheeky and funny.

BlueOcean

ReaderRagfish

@BlueOcean I actually had an easier time 100% completing DK64 than Banjo Tooie. In DK64, there's a lot of stuff but most of it is pretty easy to find just by wandering around. In Banjo Tooie, there's not a lot to find, but you really have to work for each Jiggy. Grunty Industries in particular really stands out, that was such a big and complicated level.

I'm playing it on N64, which is where I played the rest. So far I've just about finished Gobi Desert. It's fun, but I don't like how whenever you die or exit the level, most of the level resets, and I have trouble keeping track of what I have and haven't done.

Blitzenexx

@BlueOcean: I can't really recall why I came here to begin with....It was either related to early 3DS stuff (I didn't have one at the time but was interested in finding a way to play OoT as I had just fully realized how awesome The Legend of Zelda series really was not too long before) or because I was looking up stuff for the upcoming Skyward Sword.

JackEatsSparrows

Thought I’d jump in to this and say that I appreciate y’all (even you, Cobalt 😂). You’re the reason I became and stay active in the community. Heart your faces, even when they’re salty!!

#NoMoreBedtimes
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Blitzenexx

Cobalt wrote:

Untitled

Never would I thought that I would find a mental connection between Legolas and Link. XD

Anyway, I appreciate you all too. ^_^ The forums and good conversations mean a lot...and the main reason why I still bother checking here.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic