Forums

Topic: The Goodbye/Vacation Thread

Posts 2,921 to 2,940 of 3,669

Tyranexx

@ThanosReXXX: I seemed to have missed that memo. I know we got pretty close to that subject in the Chit-Chat Thread at one point, but I don't believe he ever fully mentioned it there. I don't keep track of all the topics here though, so it very well could have escaped my knowledge.

I did kind of wonder if he was on the spectrum more than once, but I don't put much thought behind or accuse someone of being on it unless I'm told by them. I know a few people on the spectrum; like literally everyone else, they have their own likes, dislikes, and quirks.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

ThanosReXXX

@Tyranexx Well, it was quite a while ago, so I honestly can't remember in which thread it was, but he did voluntarily share that information, for whatever reason.

I agree with your final statement, but depending on how heavily one is affected/in the spectrum, behavior can most definitely be either quite erratic or very subdued. In my circle of friends and family, I have two examples of those exact extremes: my aunt's brother is like Rain man times ten, always looking down, either hardly speaking or shouting, and quite impaired in mobility, and the daughter of one of my best friends has a much lighter form, but although she appears to be a quite normal teen on the surface, she can sometimes literally explode in anger within seconds for next to no reason at all.

So, depending on how far people are affected, it can most definitely be quite the burden. Anti-Matter kinda reminds me of the second example. Say the wrong thing, or try to reason with him about 15+ games, and he explodes in negativity.

And he did the same in the Pokémon movie thread, because Ryan Reynolds is doing the voice, and he hates him because of the Deadpool films, so he instantly judged the movie, and the man, as pure evil. That's not a normal person's reaction, unless you have VERY strict beliefs and/or are affected by something that can potentially have a consequence regarding your emotional behavior...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Banjo-

Shouldn't we tag people so they know we are talking about them?

Thinking of positive things about these two members...

The thing that amuses me about @Anti-Matter is that it is very difficult to understand his English and also the capital letters everywhere.

@Cobalt is a good guy, we need people like him to compensate the homogeneous Ninty thinking on the comments sections and I agree with him a lot about Wii U and other topics.

Banjo-

ThanosReXXX

@BlueOcean It depends. Not if we want to prevent needless arguments. We don't have to drag everybody into everything. And besides, we were discussing him respectfully, so no harm done anyway.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Tyranexx

@ThanosReXXX: I do agree that he can be pretty fervent about some topics, particularly related to mature content. And yes, those aren't usually thought processes that go on with most people. I pretty much learned to roll with his opinions tbh. I will say that I didn't like how a couple of users seemed to bait him in some of the article comments though.

You seem to have had a little more exposure to the spectrum than I have. The guy I know with Asperger's is a very intelligent, soft-spoken, game-loving dude. He enjoys programming and has his own functioning app on Google Play (I don't recall the name; something about appraising metals?). The cool thing is that he's currently working on concepts for a platformer. His speech and social skills are a little off the track a bit (Not too unlike socially awkward yours truly) and he reacts a bit differently when it comes to humorous things sometimes, but he's not afraid to ask any question that might be on his mind.

I also have two younger cousins (siblings) that are on the high-functioning part of the spectrum. Unfortunately I don't know them nearly as well as I would like due to distance, plus the fact that family gatherings are high-stress environments for them. The older kid (boy) is a Mario-loving five-year-old. The younger (girl) is a toddler who has just started going to speech therapy along with her brother.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

Banjo-

@spizzamarozzi I agree with you. The people that should be banned are the people that use personal attacks and insults, I am tired of reporting that but it doesn't seem to work. Normally they are aggressive fanboys that don't tolerate other people's opinions. They insult you and/or interrogate you with malicious poison (like @NEStalgia cleverly described) because they think you have an agenda. That's a much serious social interaction disorder if you think about it. Fanboys as long as they are peaceful are fine.

EDIT:
@ThanosReXXX For a moment I thought you were replying to yourself when I read @Tyranexx on your comment.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

CanisWolfred

Yeah, normally banned user discussion can be sticky because there's a lot of people gunning for a chance to go "good riddance to bad trash", but that doesn't seem to be the case here. One guy even left because a prominent member was banned...

...which isn't surprising in the least. People have left in droves due to the leader of a clique leaving or getting banned in the past. At least 4 times I've seen people go and make their own website as a direct alternative to this forum (and that's not counting vc-forums, which was privately run to begin with), and I even joined 3 of them.

...I didn't stick with any of them for long, though. All their sites turned out to be strict downgrades in terms of functionality, and being an early adopter sucks.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

ThanosReXXX

@Tyranexx I completely agree with you. In the Pokemon movie article, he was most definitely baited.
But on the other hand, you and I may have the ability to shrug that away, and simply ignore it, and he, whether because of his condition or lesser English language skills, seems to lack the capacity to differentiate between what's serious, sarcastic and/or joking, so in that regard, he's an easy prey for people like that, unfortunately.

By the way: that daughter of my friend that I mentioned, is also very intelligent and relatively soft spoken, although she can be quite enthusiastic and loud sometimes as well. Sometimes, they are also highly creative, much like Anti-Matter is. Regardless of whether or not you like his Chibi-art style, the guy can most definitely draw a pretty damn decent picture. Just check out the NintendoLife artists thread, if you're curious. You'll have to browse through the pages a bit, because I don't know exactly where his drawings are.

@BlueOcean Hahaha... NintendoLife-ception...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Banjo-

@subpopz If the truth be told I don't read everything but I like hearing all kind of opinions as long as they are honest and respectful. The same predictable hollow comments praising everything that Nintendo does are boring and meaningless. When there is a genuine fan of anything I respect that, which is why I asked you about Mega Man although I just tried to beat the first level of Mega Man. I am a huge fan of some games too, it's not bad appreciating something and sharing it.

EDIT:
@ThanosReXXX "I've seen plenty of actual trolls on here, goading people, laughing at them, insulting them and taking pleasure in all of it".

I have seen that too so many times, this is probably the Nintendo community with the most radical fanboys. I say fanboys because they have this fan motivation and radicalism, but most fanboys are not like that, not even here. On the one hand, this toxicity is why I don't even bother posting or replying sometimes. On the other hand, I have found very friendly people and also people that are interesting to read and it's somehow a cheerful community if you ignore the spiteful posters.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

ThanosReXXX

@BlueOcean It is indeed. I found some good and even some great people here to talk to, and that's the most important reason why I've been around here for as long as I have.

Banjo-

@subpopz I agree but was that what Cobalt was doing? He was knowledgeable about old Nintendo stuff, I think that it's a very underrated quality in here. Nobody cares, they just want to talk about how good the latest Switch port is.

bimmy-lee wrote:

I found out this morning that Anti-Matter has been banned, and I’m unwilling to be a part of a community that exiles decent people while some miserable, basement folk run amok. The way some people treated him for being unique is appalling. This was kind of the last straw for me, as the community has become increasingly gross, and the site itself has never recovered from Thomas Whitehead’s departure.

I am reading the thread backwards, I don't know how far I'll go. I have been reading Nintendo Life for years, years before I signed up and yes, the site's quality is much much lower now. I remember reviews and articles that were remarkable as a normal thing back then. I remember Nintendo Life was a prestigious site, something that you'd take seriously. Now it's basically superficial web feed or ridiculous rankings made by people that haven't even played the games as proved by their ignorance. The comments sections are often fanboy wars at reddit's levels. I sometimes stay away from NL and then I come back because my phone brings me a Nintendo Life story and then I start making a comment and talking to people again. I have no idea but I think that Anti-Matter will be back too, even if he was temporarily banned, so you can take a week off and when you come back perhaps he is already complaining about Sony and Microsoft and every game that is not dancing or chibi.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Tyranexx

@ThanosReXXX: Yeah, most unfortunately.

I did see some of his art, and I can say that he's a much better artist than I can ever be. XD I'm not really into the chibi boxers, but he clearly puts a lot of work into everything he draws. He's posted some of his art in the Chit-Chat Thread before; I'm probably the most fond of some of the scenes that he's posted. I'll have to check out the art thread sometime.

@BlueOcean: I've personally found NL rather tame until somewhat recently and still consider it better than many places, especially compared to the fact that I hung out on IGN once upon a time. XD I think a big part of the problem is that the Switch's (and therefore, the site's) popularity rose. While this in itself isn't necessarily a bad thing, more people = more potential for toxicity and trolling. The forums as a whole are still decent I think, but there's a reason why I don't browse as many main articles on the site as I used to.

Banjo-

@Tyranexx I think that there are two main reasons, changes in staff/collaborators and the fact that NL has followed other websites' steps and changed for the worse. They have become a fast-food website, in layman terms, probably in an attempt to stay competitive. Switch's popularity has revived things around here somehow. I asked Thomas what they were going to talk about one year before the release of Switch, because at that time Wii U was already dead (as much as I love it) and I couldn't use Pure Xbox (same family as Nintendo Life) because it was as dead as Wii U. However, if you remember how Nintendo Life used to be, it was brimming with life before Wii U's death throes and... there is always hope.

Banjo-

Tyranexx

@BlueOcean: I think the staff changes had something to do with it as well. Some of the articles are still decent IMO, but I do agree that some are a little...clickbait-ish. And some of the comments...wow. Everyone's welcome to their own opinions, but when someone brings in blatant trolling or off-topic, irrelevant behavior....Well, I don't use the Ignore feature often, but I'm glad it's an option.

I've been reading the main site since roughly 2011 but didn't bother with the forums much until I joined in 2015.

Banjo-

@Tyranexx Same here, I was more interested in the main site years ago and since I joined I spend more time on the forums, probably trying to find something more interesting to read. Some comments on the "articles" are also good but they get buried easily as this site can have hundreds of comments on each piece although it seems quieter now.

Banjo-

Banjo-

ReaderRagfish wrote:

BlueOcean wrote:

I was more interested in the main site years ago and since I joined I spend more time on the forums

Same here. This has been my main Nintendo news site since 2010, but since joining the forums back in May, I've become far more interested in the community than the news.

Yeah! I think I started reading Nintendo Life around the same time and I joined the forums last year. You inspired me to finally write something on my profile.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Cobalt

@BlueOcean

I just discovered this thread... Woww, I don't deserve all these compliments... o_O
But thank you for your kindness AND for having understood my point of view so well.

Come hug Banj'bru' !

Cobalt

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic