Forums

Topic: The Game Awards 2019

Posts 101 to 104 of 104

RR529

subpopz wrote:

If they want this to become viewed as a legit artistic medium, that needs to go. The Oscars don't put obnoxious movie reviewers from youtube front and center giving out awards and doing presentations. Focus on the achievements of the games and game makers, not the shenanigans of the people playing them.

Yeah, gaming is in a weird place where it's spawned two distinct cultures that run counter to each other (one where it's evolving into a storytelling medium alongside literature & film, and another, eSports, where it's going hard back to a modern version of the competitive high score chasing it spawned from), and while they both may be legitimate evolutions of the medium, people who may be interested in one facet of gaming, may have absolutely no interest in the other (a conundrum that neither film, music, literature, or even traditional sports have).

I think their best bet may be to realize that eSports & games as an art are at odds and have separate dedicated events for both cultures.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

ReaderRagfish

Or they could just realize that esports is a complete joke, streamers should get a real job, and games that try to be art usually suck as video games

I'm not entirely sure that a video game mainstream culture could truly succeed, at least not right now. The medium is extremely young compared to books, movies, and TV, and yet it's such a broad category that encompasses everyone from moms who occasionally play Candy Crush to people who obsessively play World of Warcraft.

And while some would likely argue otherwise, it's still rather niche in its appeal compared to those three which became huge with almost all demographics right away. You'll probably have a much easier time finding someone who doesn't have interest in video games than someone who doesn't have interest in movies.

Also, if this awards show is any representation of what mainstream gaming media would be like, I really don't want anything to do with it.

Still waiting for Atlus to make Snowboard Kids 3

kkslider5552000

subpopz wrote:

If they want this to become viewed as a legit artistic medium, that needs to go. The Oscars don't put obnoxious movie reviewers from youtube front and center giving out awards and doing presentations. Focus on the achievements of the games and game makers, not the shenanigans of the people playing them.

I do agree, but let's not pretend other award shows haven't had obnoxious people front and center. They're just a less amateur type of obnoxious.

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play, please watch and enjoy!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

NEStalgia

@Grumblevolcano Given the reaction, we were wrong and Nintendo was right: Smash and Pokemon were all Nintendo needed. Though next year will be lopsided and packed with like 3 years worth of exclusives.

@subpopz It's like you've never even watched the Golden Globes..........

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic