Forums

Topic: The Game Awards 2019

Posts 101 to 109 of 109

RR529

PolarExperience wrote:

@RR529 eSports and game announcements are what attract viewers. Most that watch expect new and cool announcements to be shown and for eSports to be highlighted, without those viewers TGA would eventually fail.

• No doubt there should be some eSports awards (at least a player award), but most of what they had seemed unnesessary, like best coach & best event (the last one is particularly baffling. It'd be like if a sports awards ceremony put out an award pitting the World Cup, Super Bowl, World Series, & Daytona 500 against each other). Maybe they just need to come up with better awards for this category, like best fighting game player, best FPS player, best DOTA player, best overall team, & overall player.
  • As for the announcements, why would TGA need them to survive if the Academy Awards, Golden Globes, Grammies, etc. don't need similar reveals for their respective mediums? If gamers want gaming to be seen as a legit artistic medium they need to have an event like this that doesn't come off as just another 3 hour long commercial for what's to come (then again, the whole eSports scene runs counter to the idea that games are an art, but that's a discussion for another time).

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

ReaderRagfihs

Prior to this, I didn't even know there were esports coaches. Also, that guy who won best esport player really seemed socially unfit to be standing on a stage talking in front of thousands of people.

And remember kids, don't vape.

Still waiting for Atlus to make Snowboard Kids 3

Wiimmfi Friend Codes: http://www.nintendolife.com/forums/wii/2019_wiids_friend_code_thread
Wii/DS games online post shutdown

subpopz

This was the last time I watch these awards. It might just be me being out of touch with what modern gaming has become, but I can't stand all these "famous" streamers and I don't care at all about eSports teams/coaches. There was way too much focus on that aspect of the culture. I'll just see the announcements the next day.
If they want this to become viewed as a legit artistic medium, that needs to go. The Oscars don't put obnoxious movie reviewers from youtube front and center giving out awards and doing presentations. Focus on the achievements of the games and game makers, not the shenanigans of the people playing them.

Switch - Tetris 99, Portal Knights, Owl Boy
3DS -
PC - Guild Wars 2

Switch FC : SW-1091-9839-4896

Grumblevolcano

I only watch for the announcements and generally Nintendo's had a good showing. This year was bad as it pretty much showed the same message as E3, Smash is all Nintendo has.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

RR529

subpopz wrote:

If they want this to become viewed as a legit artistic medium, that needs to go. The Oscars don't put obnoxious movie reviewers from youtube front and center giving out awards and doing presentations. Focus on the achievements of the games and game makers, not the shenanigans of the people playing them.

Yeah, gaming is in a weird place where it's spawned two distinct cultures that run counter to each other (one where it's evolving into a storytelling medium alongside literature & film, and another, eSports, where it's going hard back to a modern version of the competitive high score chasing it spawned from), and while they both may be legitimate evolutions of the medium, people who may be interested in one facet of gaming, may have absolutely no interest in the other (a conundrum that neither film, music, literature, or even traditional sports have).

I think their best bet may be to realize that eSports & games as an art are at odds and have separate dedicated events for both cultures.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

ReaderRagfihs

Or they could just realize that esports is a complete joke, streamers should get a real job, and games that try to be art usually suck as video games

I'm not entirely sure that a video game mainstream culture could truly succeed, at least not right now. The medium is extremely young compared to books, movies, and TV, and yet it's such a broad category that encompasses everyone from moms who occasionally play Candy Crush to people who obsessively play World of Warcraft.

And while some would likely argue otherwise, it's still rather niche in its appeal compared to those three which became huge with almost all demographics right away. You'll probably have a much easier time finding someone who doesn't have interest in video games than someone who doesn't have interest in movies.

Also, if this awards show is any representation of what mainstream gaming media would be like, I really don't want anything to do with it.

Still waiting for Atlus to make Snowboard Kids 3

Wiimmfi Friend Codes: http://www.nintendolife.com/forums/wii/2019_wiids_friend_code_thread
Wii/DS games online post shutdown

subpopz

@RR529 I agree that'd be the way to go. I get the eSports thing. Those guys are playing super competitively on a level I will never see. I don't care about it, but I get it. They should have a separate thing. They can have highlight reels and all kinds of stuff devoted to that aspect.
The streaming culture I don't get at all. I don't know where else it ever happens where the user gets this kind of attention. Music, movies, books, art, traditional sports, anything else....none of that brings the most vocal and extreme attention seeking fans to the forefront in this manner. The screaming, decked out, painted up sports fan? Or the super movie buff with a youtube channel devoted to in depth reviews? Or the TV show fans "reacting" to shows as they watch? Or the music fans who follow bands across continents all decked out in whatever attire fits the band they are following? You may see a blip of them on a report or a quick interview. But in gaming, they put these same people on stage at an awards ceremony as presenter, give them awards and give them more attention than the games and developers. Makes absolutely no sense to me.

Switch - Tetris 99, Portal Knights, Owl Boy
3DS -
PC - Guild Wars 2

Switch FC : SW-1091-9839-4896

kkslider5552000

subpopz wrote:

I do agree, but let's not pretend other award shows haven't had obnoxious people front and center. They're just a less amateur type of obnoxious.

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

NEStalgia

@Grumblevolcano Given the reaction, we were wrong and Nintendo was right: Smash and Pokemon were all Nintendo needed. Though next year will be lopsided and packed with like 3 years worth of exclusives.

@subpopz It's like you've never even watched the Golden Globes..........

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic