Forums

Topic: The future of the Republican Party

Posts 1 to 15 of 15

iKhan

Yep, I'm bringing up politics, but hey its a general discussion thread, so it works.

Right now the Republican Party looks more fractured than it has been in years, maybe even since Teddy Roosevelt's time. If you ask me, I'd divide it into 3 different factions of groups trying to make the party more appealing.

1. The group trying to adjust the party's social message for modern times (Marco Rubio, Chris Christie)
2. The Republican establishment trying to compromise more with the Democratic party on fiscal issues, but won't budge on military or social issues. (Dick Cheyney, John McCain)
3. The Tea Party trying to increase the party's appeal by refocusing strongly on the party platform. They seem divided among
a. Within this there are the groups of more libertarian minded people who want to refocus mostly on fiscal issues (Rand Paul)
b. More far-righters who want to focus on every thing, social, military, and fiscal (Paul Ryan, Ted Cruz)

What do you think will become of all this fractioning?

Personally, I believe that we may very well see one of them fraction off into a 3rd Party, and we may see the 2016 or 2014 votes split between the Republican Party and this other Party. My guess is we will see many landslide victories for the Democrats.

And just for some perspective, I'm personally a libertarian-conservative.

Edited on by theblackdragon

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

2Sang

I don't know if politics is even allowed in general discssion, but I regretfully admit that republicans will win in 2014. However, they will most likely lose 2016, 2018, and depending on the economy 2020 as well.

I am a huge fan of rand paul, but he probably will place second or third in the primary in 2016 to some nutjob like jeb bush or ted cruz.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2sang/nintendo-pizza-scented-air-freshener-mach-pizza-ea
BACK MY PROJECT EVEN $1 HELPS!

Nintendo Network ID: DJ2Sang | Twitter:

iKhan

2Sang wrote:

I don't know if politics is even allowed in general discssion

I don't see why it wouldn't be. It's a major discussion topic. And I'm trying to tackle it intelligently.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

RR529

@iKahn, I think the reason you don't see political topics here, is because political discussion is against the rules of NL.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Tasuki

Yeah I dont think this is the place to talk about this kind of stuff.

Anyway if I were to express my political views I would probably be arrested for being a commie or terrorist or something of that nature.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Zizzy

Tasuki wrote:

Yeah I dont think this is the place to talk about this kind of stuff.

Anyway if I were to express my political views I would probably be arrested for being a commie or terrorist or something of that nature.

This. Modern day governments just don't work anymore. Time to evolve.

Zizzy

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1585-6021 | Nintendo Network ID: Zizzy147

Chrono_Cross

RR529 wrote:

@iKahn, I think the reason you don't see political topics here, is because political discussion is against the rules of NL.

Maybe I overlooked, but I can't seem to find that part of the community rules.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

6ch6ris6

Tasuki wrote:

lol me too

i wonder how long it will take till people find out that there is nothing really to choose from the us-american party-system. in germany (where i live) there is at least some variety. although in the end nothing big changes here either no matter how gets voted.

@8BitSamurai that's a pretty stable chair !!!

Edited on by 6ch6ris6

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

Vincent294

iKhan wrote:

Yep, I'm bringing up politics, but hey its a general discussion thread, so it works.

Right now the Republican Party looks more fractured than it has been in years, maybe even since Teddy Roosevelt's time. If you ask me, I'd divide it into 3 different factions of groups trying to make the party more appealing.

1. The group trying to adjust the party's social message for modern times (Marco Rubio, Chris Christie)
2. The Republican establishment trying to compromise more with the Democratic party on fiscal issues, but won't budge on military or social issues. (Dick Cheyney, John McCain)
3. The Tea Party trying to increase the party's appeal by refocusing strongly on the party platform. They seem divided among
a. Within this there are the groups of more libertarian minded people who want to refocus mostly on fiscal issues (Rand Paul)
b. More far-righters who want to focus on every thing, social, military, and fiscal (Paul Ryan, Ted Cruz)

What do you think will become of all this fractioning?

Personally, I believe that we may very well see one of them fraction off into a 3rd Party, and we may see the 2016 or 2014 votes split between the Republican Party and this other Party. My guess is we will see many landslide victories for the Democrats.

And just for some perspective, I'm personally a libertarian-conservative.

There should be two candidates for each party, with primaries determined by each party's voter base. The party that gains the most votes wins and the most popular candidate from that party takes the position voted for. That would empower the people a lot. Sub-parties can be determined and cooperate with the others to be more productive. If the Republicans were divvied up, of course the Democrats would win because conservatives would cannibalize each other at the polls. They need to cooperate to win.

As far as my views go, I'm a Democratic-leaning independent. I believe that caps need to be placed on layoffs based on executive-employee income ratios. That would save jobs, lowering unemployment, and therefore reduce benefit reliance. It would please many Democrats and Republicans to lower the deficit while restraining corporations from laying off employees if their executives are getting paid extremely high wages. I like to see things from both perspectives. I could go on about morals, but that's a but much to discuss on Nintendo Life. I also have an odd combination of views that few are in line with. I'm more of a moderate that forms my own conclusions after listening to each side's argument and share some views from each side.

Vincent294

My Nintendo: Vincent294 | Nintendo Network ID: Vincent294

Vincent294

kkslider5552000 wrote:

HEY KIDS, YOU KNOW WHAT I WANT TO TALK ABOUT ON A NINTENDO FORUM?

Filibuster him!

In all seriousness, not sure why this came up here but whatever.

Vincent294

My Nintendo: Vincent294 | Nintendo Network ID: Vincent294

Dreamz

The major problem I see with the Republican Party currently is that the party has paid too much attention to the vocal minority and shifted the entire base so far to the right that they've pulled the Democratic party with them. Ronald Reagan would have been seen as rather liberal by today's standard in the party.

My expectation is that the more far right members of the party will continue to siphon off into the Tea Party over the next few years and hopefully give us a viable third party. While I lean rather leftward myself (I consider myself an independent voter, neither R nor D), I see this as a good thing as the main issue with our government currently is the two-party system that creates the lose-lose situation we currently see. Hopefully the introduction of a viable 3rd party (and preferably more) will be enough to break the revolving door we currently have long enough for us to boot a significant portion of money out of politics.

Edit: Also, I see this topic as fine so long as everyone stays respectful; I checked the community rules and nothing prohibits political discussion, and it does fit within the purview of the off-topic general discussion.

Edited on by Dreamz

My 3rd Party Games List: Click here
U-Wishlist: Splatoon, Zelda U

theblackdragon

Hey guys, politics (as well as religion, if you had planned to bring that up next) is one of the things we don't discuss here, as proven repeatedly by flame-wars over the years. The future of the Republican Party is a discussion meant for another website. Thanks!

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.