Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 43,401 to 43,420 of 96,323

NEStalgia

@redd214 hey, you can roll your eyes at my gaming opinions, but you can't roll your eyes at medical science!

NEStalgia

Heavyarms55

@NEStalgia That 25-28 hour cycle would explain so very much about me! On the occasions that I can go days without an alarm schedule, my awake hours tend to shift later and later each day. If I start from my normal work routine of 6 am to 10:30pm, after about a week I'm waking up at noon and going to bed 3-5 in the morning without any intentional shifting - just waking and going do bed on my own rhythms.

Hey now, I am convinced there will still be a "society". But whether it will resemble anything like what we know today is... an open question.

@ThanosReXXX "If by "getting used to" they mean "able to deal with it to some extent so you can have some semblance of normal functioning", " in that sense, I would absolutely agree as well. Learning to tolerate the discomfort and morning groggy-ness is something I have done.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Vinny

That 3D series of Mega Drive ports M2 made for the 3DS back then was pretty cool, shame we never got the 3D versions of Streets of Rage 3 and Ecco 2.

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

Heavyarms55

@NEStalgia I didn't read your whole conversation with that other dude, but there are massive swathes of the population that roll their eyes at science all the time. Doesn't matter how much data and evidence you show them, their cult leader or some myth, or one random YouTube video or Reddit post "disproves" it. lol

Edited on by Heavyarms55

Tyranexx

@Ninfan Well, I'm currently on furlough, so technically nothing. I help maintain and add features to a pretty robust service management/route tracking application. Some parts of the program are pretty old, so it gets...erm...interesting to interact with those areas sometimes. Definitely some old/bad logic in them. Some of the older database structure isn't ideal either.

@Heavyarms55 I highly doubt I'll ever truly be a morning person, though it may happen to me when I reach my senior years like with many others lol. Part of how I feel when I wake up is at least somewhat related to when I get to bed, but there are many other factors. It's hard for me to go to bed TOO early, and no matter what I'm still drowsy as heck when I wake up to an alarm. I've gotten better about not hitting snooze at least as I've read that makes things worse. My tired state persists anywhere from half an hour to about two hours on the worst occasions and ranges from "Uh...Hi" status to "Eh...meh...Feh...."

It's usually a good sign if I can speak proper English first thing. XD

@ThanosReXXX Arming myself with titles and other info has generally worked before to circumvent such problems!

Agreed on NSO's incentives. Not that they're bad per se, but IMO the service is capable of much, MUCH more. For one, they could actually do something more robust/secure with online multiplayer (though more costly) by hosting matches on actual servers with checks/balances vs. a P2P connection for some games.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Heavyarms55

@Tyranexx I am able to get around it mostly be means of significant caffeine intake. I drink two big mugs of coffee every morning. That's usually but not always, enough to get me going. Only if I actually also got a comparatively good night's sleep. Which is sketchy for me. I have issues with dreams/nightmares that often keep that from happening.

ThanosReXXX

@Heavyarms55 Yeah, unfortunately, we sometimes have to, in order to be able to get along with the rest of the society that we live and work in. But on the other hand, it also brings nice things sometimes, so that's usually what I focus on, instead of "ah, man. I don't want to get up and get myself in gear for yet another dreary day"...

@redd214 Didn't you know that sarcasm is forbidden, in the Chit-Chat thread?

All kidding aside and no offense, I do want to add that just because we all have our individual experiences and truths, that does not mean that other people's experiences and truths are less valid, or that our own truth is the only one. I can definitely attest to some of what NEStalgia is saying, so it's a bit odd, to say the least, to apparently see you wave that away as if it is all a bunch of nonsense, especially since I've come to know you (as far as anyone can, in an online forum) as one of the good guys here on NLife.

The simple truth of it is that not all people are shiny, happy individuals when they get out of bed in the morning, and it is most definitely true that they don't all possess the power, skills or wherewithal to deal with it or get used to it, no matter how many years they (try to) force themselves into making it work to the extent that they can deal with it and with the society around them.

And even though it's largely a biological thing, in some ways, it actually isn't all that different from any other skill that some people seem to be able to develop naturally or already possess, while some can struggle for years to learn and will still never be able to (completely) master, regardless of any kind of conditioning, belief system or whatever other kind of means one might use to learn or train.

@Tyranexx Indeed. And as mentioned before, I'm still wondering about how they could, in my opinion, have taken such a HUGE step back, when you compare it to the Virtual Console services. Online was never Nintendo's strong suit, but to compound on that by making the access to their classic games an inferior experience from what they had on their previous two generations of consoles is beyond weird to me.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Heavyarms55

@ThanosReXXX Thankfully it's not that my days are particularly bad. They aren't. It's simply that it's hard to be motivated or feel as positive as I force myself to act for those first couple hours where I'm either groggy and sluggish, or just pumped full of caffeine.

ThanosReXXX

@Heavyarms55 Yeah, agreed on that. I also don't feel like that all day. I should have been a bit more clear. It's just the getting started part. Once I'm rolling, I can manage. Still often feel tired at the end of a 9 to 5, though. But once I get home, had dinner, and the evening starts, I feel completely energized again, and that is basically where the continuing "problem" comes from, because I go to bed WAY too late, but that is in part also because I don't like staring at the ceiling for more than an hour because I can't catch any sleep if I go to bed earlier.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Vinny

They finally designed a console that looks like those futuristic "future consoles" mockups from the mid to late 2000's!

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

Heavyarms55

@ThanosReXXX Yeah, I know that feeling. I'll occasionally run into the problem where I'm low for much of the day and then finally really wake up and want to do stuff like a couple hours before I really need to go to bed...

NEStalgia

@Heavyarms55 yep, sounds like that's what it is. "Deferred Sleep Cycle" or "delayed sleep cycle". If you really wanted a diagnosis, you can do that, but it doesn't get you anything other than the ability to say "i have a condition!". And i think it's silly to call such things conditions or disorders.... It's literally your, and many other people's, biology. Ironically it should be a worse problem in an agrarian society where the solar cycle really does define the working hours. It's sad that our anti nature society still emulates farming schedules.

Well, the world of Fallout has "society", and the reign of terror was a society, so anything counts I guess? Like a real world game of Red vs. Blue. Speaking of:

Oh, ignore @redd214 , he's ok. He's not rolling his eyes at science, he's just antagonizing me because I'm the one saying it. Right reddo? Reddie? Reddiwhip?

NEStalgia

Tyranexx

@Heavyarms55 Ironically the reason I even started drinking coffee and hot tea wasn't related to drowsiness. It was to help warm me up during the winter. I freeze easily that time of year and found that warm liquids help out. Many of my coworkers are warm-natured, so the thermostat isn't always set to warmer temps I can stand lol. I actually bought a heated blanket to use at work!

I normally sleep pretty well these days, though the last week or so has been iffy due to all that's going on both in my personal life and nationally. It didn't help that I had probably one of the worst dreams in recent memory last night. Though in retrospect, it would probably make an interesting movie.... :thinking_face: I legit have no idea where it came from.

@ThanosReXXX That's beyond me. Plus the fact that you have to check in online every so often in order to not lose access to those games IIRC. I know it's a large amount of time to where those even in the most remote of places could drive to somewhere with functional public internet access, but the fact that it even has to happen at all is a head scratcher.

I think I've mentioned this before, but the biggest pet peeve for me with the service is that they're technically holding the only legal means to back up your games behind a paywall. Save tampering aside, I'm sure most like yours truly would love to just have a physical SD card backup sitting around just in case the one in the Switch decides to kick the bucket.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

Heavyarms55

@NEStalgia I don't know that I'd go so far as to call society "anti-nature". I'd say society is more apathetic toward nature than opposed to it. We aren't destroying the environment out of maliciousness, rather out of simply not caring.

Aside from those handful or moronic right wingers who deliberately modify their cars and trucks - removing devices designed to reduce emissions and going so far as to modify their engines to burn dirty on purpose. Those people are malicious, but also a small idiotic minority.

@Tyranexx I used to drink hot chocolate when I was a kid to warm up, it absolutely helps to drink hot drinks in winter.

Dreams can be weird, no doubt. I can only figure out a tiny fraction of where mine come from. I've also had night terrors - those are just awful, doubly so when you have a roommate because first you wake up screaming and don't know why, then you're embarrassed because you woke up probably half the dorm hallway... #baduniversitymemories Thankfully I don't get those often. I did have a pretty traditional nightmare the other night, I was in bed and there was a man standing outside my door-wall coming to kill me and I could barely move. It took everything I had just to groan and raise an arm a few inches. Woke up in cold sweat from that one.

Tyranexx

Some around here definitely like modifying vehicles. Some neat/interesting car/truck designs have come out of that.. Conversely, this is sometimes (though not always) offset by noise and air pollution. I don't mind if the mechanically inclined perform their hobby, but I absolutely hate really loud noise and, when driving, put my vents on circulate if I see a vehicle blowing smoke. This isn't always intentional (like with farm machinery), but most smoke from said machinery (ignoring older models) also isn't really dark either.

@Heavyarms55 Our Keurig machine at work has hot chocolate canisters. I don't abuse them too often due to what's in it, but they're an occasional treat during the winter.

To my knowledge I've never had night terrors, but I did sleepwalk every now and again as a kid. Haven't done that in years to my knowledge, though I live alone. I don't tend to move around much in my sleep.

Last night was definitely a traditional nightmare. Most of my dreams tend to just be weird, mundane, or awesome. While I don't recall every single detail of it, it involved some shapeshifting thing that a special investigation unit was tracing. Basically, this thing would disguise itself as a random, non-living house object (coat hanger, button, key, etc.), lay low for awhile, and then attack unsuspecting victims in that shape. It created a long, gradual string of "murder houses" this way. The worst part is if a person or family grew wise that something wasn't quite right and tried to move, it would hitch a ride as an innocuous object. This thing never revealed a "true" shape in my dream; it would just instantly change into its next unsuspecting form.

No idea where the concept came from. The best I can figure is my brain mashed up the concepts of yokai and Weeping Angels.

ogo79

ThanosReXXX wrote:

@ogo79 You're very welcome, ogo. Here, have a complimentary cocktail on me:
Untitled

now see, id drink that, i dont hate pineapple, but on pizza is a nope for me.
pina colada is good.
if anyone links that stupid i like pina colada song i will body slam you

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

Heavyarms55

@Tyranexx Oh I wasn't talking about hobbyists just having fun. I've encountered people who deliberately and proudly modify their vehicles to be more polluting specifically to "own the libs" or whatever. My hometown has some strange people.

I might have had to Google "Keurig" but what do you mean about what's in them? Are the machines at your work dirty or something? They're just coffee pots right?

You'd know if you'd had a night terror. You don't remember anything, but you wake up feeling extreme terror, not fear but the kind of terror one feels when their life is in imminent danger or something, like falling from a bridge or staring into the headlights of a rapidly approaching car. I don't have them often, but when I have I wake up screaming bloody murder. And I never have any idea why. Once or twice it left me with a sense of unreality for several minutes until I calmed down and presumably my heart-rate returned to normal levels...

I don't think I've ever slept walked - but my dad did that and occasionally spoke in his sleep. It was kind of funny honestly. One time he slept walked from his room, downstairs, turned all the lights on and only woke up as he was turning on the radio. lol

ThanosReXXX

@Heavyarms55 What helps sometimes, is to take a hot shower, right before going to bed. On the occasions that it works, it makes me drowsy enough to allow me to drift off to dreamland.

On the topic of night terrors: never had those, I think (going by what you described). I've had plenty of nightmares though, and when I was younger, I frequently experienced the falling sensation, which also isn't very pleasant to wake up to. According to scientific research, it's all due to the body going from its sleep paralysis state, to a normal state, which (when you wake up a little too early, right at the end of that cycle) induces a "falling sensation" in the brain, and makes it feel like you literally "land" in your bed as you wake up.

In case you didn't know and/or have never heard of it, sleep paralysis is a natural/biological phenomenon that occurs in a state of deep sleep, and it is induced to see to it that the body doesn't hurt itself while you're sleeping, so it's kind of a protective state. But due to neurological/cerebral irregularities, people sometimes wake up during and/or right after this phenomenon occurs, creating either the illusion of being paralyzed, or the sensation of falling.

Back in the dark ages of science, this misunderstood phenomenon, or rather: biological process, was explained away as a devil/incubus "sitting" on your chest, which was the supposed reason that you couldn't move:
Untitled
Untitled
@NEStalgia Are you SURE that's what Redd's doing? I've seen the "whatever" reactions before in other threads. You might be right, but to me, if someone does that, it does indeed come across as either waving away comments, rolling eyes, ridiculing or in general as not knowing what actually sensible reply to give (or simply not wanting to give one), and then just hitting people with a "whatever" or "okay, buddy, if you say so".

Either way, I definitely don't like it. In some instances, I even feel like it's highly impolite as well, especially when the other party takes the time or puts in the effort to write an elaborate and/or well-thought out comment, and then basically getting slammed with the textual equivalent of someone turning their backs in total disinterest. These kinds of things sometimes REALLY make me feel like I'm getting too old for some of this stuff...

@Tyranexx Yeah, it is very weird indeed. Back when they announced their partnership with DeNA, one of the biggest online gaming providers in the world, I thought that their service was going to seriously rival Microsoft's, with not only a modernized version of the eShop and Virtual Console, but also a solid online gaming experience. What we got instead was an okayish eShop, a lousy replacement for the Virtual Console and a highly convoluted online gaming system, with the most ridiculous and needlessly complicated way of realizing voice chat, by way of adding a smart phone.

To this day, I can't help but wonder what the hell they were thinking...

@BruceCM Oh, dear. Someone's applying for a body slam...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic