Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 4,341 to 4,360 of 96,243

GuSolarFlare

I'm probably in the group that can barely code(but that will change soon if I fail to learn by myself I'll learn later this year in college, Java this year baby!) but I want to be able to progress by myself the most I can. it feels bad to only be a good learner when I have a teacher.

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

Super_Gravy

@Metroidlink: Try gamemaker application (it's free) since ti will teach you the basic logic how to code. It is depend on the languages but most of codes does involve technique such as while, loop until, loop for, counter, and etc.

Umm… Care to have some gravy?

Metroidlink

Super_Gravy wrote:

@Metroidlink: Try gamemaker application (it's free) since ti will teach you the basic logic how to code. It is depend on the languages but most of codes does involve technique such as while, loop until, loop for, counter, and etc.

gamemaker application? I have tried Gamemaker 8 if that's what you mean, and I did understand that

Currently playing:
Pokemon X
Bravely Default
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
The metrologgery

3DS Friend Code: 1676-3777-0646 | Nintendo Network ID: Metrolink

sugarpixel

Super_Gravy wrote:

Yeah, I use Game Maker. I'm entirely self-taught, though, so I can't really point out any websites to you, @Metroidlink... I've learnt mostly by reading the GM documentation and talking to people in the Game Maker forum. And also by just doing stuff.

Twitter | ko-fi | YouTube | Backloggery

Add me on Nintendo Switch! SW-5806-7479-1875

Switch Friend Code: SW-5806-7479-1875 | 3DS Friend Code: 3394-4319-1146 | My Nintendo: FlutterBug | Nintendo Network ID: Fluttershy_Gioku | Twitter:

Undead_terror

Gioku wrote:

Super_Gravy wrote:

Yeah, I use Game Maker. I'm entirely self-taught, though, so I can't really point out any websites to you, @Metroidlink... I've learnt mostly by reading the GM documentation and talking to people in the Game Maker forum. And also by just doing stuff.

Since you guys are talking about game making, I might be taking part in making a game, the Smash Clash game I was talking about in another thread which is like Super Smash bros, I will help out by making characters, also if it's alright by the creator I will take notes about anyone on this site that wants to use their character in the game (like @Badkitty 's cat girl character avatar) but we would only be allowed to use original characters and not Sonic which is currently @Bezerker99 avatar.

Edited on by Undead_terror

Sp00ky scary skeleton back to play games and dew other fine things indead!
The Graveyard (Backloggery) l Nintendo ID: Undead_terror

Switch Friend Code: SW-8251-5734-1036 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-2878-6360 | My Nintendo: Undead_terror | Nintendo Network ID: Undead_terror | Twitter:

Metroidlink

Game maker is programming, just in another way? Then I can program I guess (I don't write anything though so I am a bit unsure if this is programming or not )

Currently playing:
Pokemon X
Bravely Default
The metrologgery

sugarpixel

@Metroidlink the programming language that Game maker uses is a lot like C++. It's just a lot looser in formatting; as in it's not very picky about how you format your code.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5806-7479-1875 | 3DS Friend Code: 3394-4319-1146 | My Nintendo: FlutterBug | Nintendo Network ID: Fluttershy_Gioku | Twitter:

GuSolarFlare

@metroidlink yup it's super high level kind of programming(high level means it's easier to code, there's more specific stuff but I'll leave it at that, for now)

Edited on by GuSolarFlare

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
my Backloggery

Super_Gravy

@Metroidlink: You can edit the code of the objects and etc in gamemaker. Try it for yourself. I find it easier to understand by changing the number in the codes to see what it really does such as movement, timing, counting, and etc. Are you aiming to coding for games or scripts for OS or network?

Metroidlink

Thanks guys I thought for a long time that programming was writing text in C++ and C and that stuff. Now thanks to you I know better

Currently playing:
Pokemon X
Bravely Default
The metrologgery

Metroidlink

Super_Gravy wrote:

@Metroidlink: You can edit the code of the objects and etc in gamemaker. Try it for yourself. I find it easier to understand by changing the number in the codes to see what it really does such as movement, timing, counting, and etc. Are you aiming to coding for games or scripts for OS or network?

I don't know actually We are making things in media class as a side project and I choose to make games

Currently playing:
Pokemon X
Bravely Default
The metrologgery

Super_Gravy

Some languages are more powerful depending on what you are doing. I prefer using Perl since I can use it for HTML coding and well for both UNIX and Windows OS. But this is not an gaming or application coding. I don't know which one is good for game making but I assuming C++ or C#. Also it is depend on your preferences.

GuSolarFlare

@metroidlink the key of coding is the logic if you understand the logic behind whatever you want to do and how to make the computer do it the rest is a matter of either remembering or looking up functions and such to make it work.(it sounds harder than it is. because I'm not a good teacher like my teacher at college)

my Backloggery

sugarpixel

GuSilverFlame wrote:

@metroidlink the key of coding is the logic if you understand the logic behind whatever you want to do and how to make the computer do it the rest is a matter of either remembering or looking up functions and such to make it work.(it sounds harder than it is. because I'm not a good teacher like my teacher at college)

Yup. In my experience, programming is just a series of logic puzzles. And it just so happens I like logic puzzles!

...it helps to be good at math, too. There's a lot of math involved.

Veloster

Ah, ok - no worries.

On a different note, I'm thinking of changing my username; I can't think of anything to change it to though.

'Link-Rova' , makes no sense without a Twinrova avatar.

Edited on by Veloster

The greatest scene in T.V history

3DS Friend Code: 3454-0036-0357

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic