Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 43,341 to 43,360 of 96,523

BabyYoda71

@Anti-Matter Isn’t there some Switch games available only in Japan?

Heigh Ho Heigh Ho. It’s off to work (from home) I go.

Anti-Matter

@BabyYoshi65
I like 1-2-Switch.
I like the Telephone mini game.
I can play 1-2-Switch by Solo, that means i take control of the Joy Cons. Whichever side win doesn't matter since i play for myself.

About Japanese only Switch games, check them from playasia.
I have 1 Japan only Switch game so far (Sumikko Gurashi Atsumare Sumikkotown).
On my list, there are another titles i considered such as Model Debut Nicola, Pretty Princess Magical Coordinate, Neko-Tomo, etc.

Anti-Matter

DenDen

@Anti-Matter great collection!
Jou love 1-2 switch I see I loved it also

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

Lucarianzx

Does anybody have ideas for topics I can cover about games for a Youtube video? I can't film sketches downtown in my city until the protests are over and I don't really have any video ideas. I already did Horses in Games, I might do Cooking in Games next but besides that I don't really know what to do after.

I don't like Monster Hunter.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCySCtUppltv_WhFobC0Rq8w? (My safe place)
I'm probably listening to green day right now.

ThanosReXXX

@Lucarianzx How about free 2 play done right? And/or games that DON'T take advantage of the gamer and his hard-earned cash, where loot boxes and/or monetization is concerned? You can do something pretty in-depth with that, I think. First of all there's the difference between f2p and regular, paid games, but they both use these mechanics, and for some it works, regardless of how much of a scam it basically is, mainly due to a momentary popularity (aka Fortnite and the like), and in others, it's highly criticized, such as in many of EA's and in some of Activision's efforts.

And then there's the ones that REALLY do it right, such as Warframe, in which all you'll need in return for not falling for the monetization mechanics, is more patience, because the no-pay alternative in the game is obviously to do quite a bit more grinding to get where you need to be if you don't (want to) pay your way through it.

Another potential interesting topic could be how and/or if games have REALLY changed all that much, besides having better graphics or bigger environments. Are the underlying mechanics still the same, or have there been some actual innovations that made a significant impact in how we play? And I don't mean quasi-interesting additions such as rogue-lite or procedural levels etc. (which, by the way, are also not always done right, much to the detriment of such games)

Personally, I think that each and every genre/type of game is still the same at its core, meaning that if you strip them all down to the basics, and then compare them to stripped down 8 or 16 bit games, you'd have the same core mechanics as those.

A good example of my point is what one (in my opinion) brilliant comment underneath the recent Space Invaders article said, in regards to something mentioned in that article:

“younger generations that will understandably quickly tire of dodging enemy bullets while trying to bag a few kills of their own” - That’s basically the entire gameplay hook of Fortnite 😂

On a side note: perhaps you might also give some hints as to whether or not the topics need to be Nintendo-only or if it can be multi-console and/or gaming in general, which might help giving you more relevant suggestions, but I hope that either one of these suggestions here might offer you some kind of inspiration to get you started.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Lucarianzx

@thanosrexxx Thanks for the ideas! I'm looking to do multi console I guess not just Nintendo, but they innovated heavily and still continue to do that. I might do a video called Scamming/ Paying to Win in Video games because now that you brought that up, I actually have a good idea for a sketch I can film and put at the end of my video about free to play games.

I don't like Monster Hunter.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCySCtUppltv_WhFobC0Rq8w? (My safe place)
I'm probably listening to green day right now.

ThanosReXXX

@Lucarianzx You're welcome.
As for the innovations: I meant in games, not in hardware. So, look at the basics of every game type, and you'll find that they're mostly still the same, if you strip them down to the base mechanics. They look and run better, and are more elaborate, but racers are still racers, and fighting games are still fighting games. Other types are quite a bit younger in comparison, so obviously harder to compare to older stuff. First person shooters come to mind, in that regard, but they can of course be compared to their N64 or PSX counterparts.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Eel

Hm. Amazon has the commodore 64 mini for like 35~40 dollars right now.

Do you guys think it would be worth it if I'm only interested in playing around with BASIC? I don't particularly care about the games, but I do love me some retro programing languages.

Hmmm maybe Petit Computer on the 2ds is enough though.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

ogo79

its alllllllll guuuuuuuuuuuuud!!!

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

Vinny

I've been thinking about making a thread about game compilations. It could have a title ending with Vol. 1 (like a game compilation with many volumes, wow!).

Btw, who else had Sonic Mega Collection/Plus? that one was worth alone for the original menu music, it was just fantastic.

Edited on by Vinny

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

Anti-Matter

I want to create a new eshop account for my Europe 3DS.
If i choose United Kingdom, which city i should choose for free tax eshop purchase & what is the Zip postal code for the city i choose ?

For my USA 3DS, i choose Georgia for free tax eshop purchase. 😛

Anti-Matter

ThanosReXXX

@Eel If you're truly mainly interested in programming in BASIC, then the C64 Mini isn't really the right choice, since it only has a virtual keyboard. They've now also released a "Maxi" version of that C64, which has an actual, fully functional C64 keyboard, and actually is three systems in one, because you can switch between C64, VIC 20, and Games Carousel, the latter of which is obviously the plug and play mode for playing the installed games.

And as a bonus, it has the best joystick ever made, with actual micro-switches in them, which the joystick that comes with the C64 Mini doesn't have.

Now, obviously, this model is more expensive than the Mini, but if you're REALLY serious about programming, then I'd say it's definitely worth considering.

Here's the official page for it:
https://retrogames.biz/thec64

And here is a video review of this fully functional model, which also mentions the C64 Mini:

For his full review of the Mini, go here and here is a video he did on program and/or ROM loading through USB on the Mini, which also works on the Maxi, by the way.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Eel

@ThanosReXXX as far as I know, you can use any other keyboard with the mini.

Anyway, with basic, I'm not serious, I just like playing with it. I was considering this because it's the cheapest I've seen it yet.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

ThanosReXXX

@Eel Well, in that case, you might still find some use in the other two videos I linked to.

Anti-Matter

@gcunit
Question about making Europe eshop account for 3DS.
I heard your 3DS was PAL region.
I got 3DS PAL yesterday.
Which Europe country that have no tax for eshop purchase ?
How about your eshop account setting?
I chose Georgia for my 3DS USA.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

ogo79

@OptometristLime
i appreciate that
Untitled

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

Tyranexx

@WoomyNNYes That does indeed sound like quite a mess. I've seen elsewhere that you haven't had power for some time, so I hope that's restored soon!

@Heavyarms55 Man, that's...pretty messed up. I know that drugs can cause people to do some pretty crazy stuff, but typically anything drug-related around here is either an accidental OD death or someone breaking into vehicles for some cash and other things to sell to finance their habit. Though the occasional dealer gets put away for awhile.

@ThanosReXXX Sounds like the 7 day Animal Crossing trial is worth keeping in mind, then. I might give that a look. I'm normally not a huge online gamer due to both preferences and previous experiences (not that all have been bad, but some definitely use their general anonymity to be rude). I am, however, willing to play with people locally and those online (like in this thread) that have proven to me that they aren't crazy.

I particularly miss the Virtual Console. While I think it's fine to tie games to NSO as I know plenty of people enjoy that sort of access, I really wish they'd allow someone to just buy a game outright. Or at least to transfer or gain access to some of their library on a previous console for a small fee, sort of like what happened with the Wii/Wii U. I do realize that's comparing apples to oranges and that there is likely much more involved with transferring that data between the Wii U architecture and the Switch.

Agreed on BBC Earth, though I get the impression you've had more exposure to it than yours truly. I like how BBC Earth presents information, and the narration is clear and concise. They're there to inform, not to dramatize everything to make it "interesting". I used to watch quite a bit of Animal Planet. While they used to present more of their shows in a documentary-type style, many of their shows (at least when I still lived with my parents) became more dramatic as time went on.

Now you have me more curious on the government/country side of things as well. XD I do pay attention to some happenings in other countries on occasion. Admittedly, I don't pay too much attention to anything outside the US unless I catch wind of something in passing. During Covid, I was better about checking world news, but with some of the current landscape here....Well, it has been an interesting time.

I'm also interested in world history. Unfortunately I don't know as much as I'd like about it other than a general picture. It's a class I wanted to take in high school, but I was forced to take another class instead (sociology) as I wouldn't have enough required credits to graduate otherwise. I've looked up bits and bobs over time and was definitely exposed to an overview of different landmark cultures in recorded history (Greece, Rome, the Aztecs, Mayans, Inca, the Mississippian civilization here in the Midwest, some of ancient China, and more).

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Heavyarms55

@Tyranexx From what I understand, the synthetic drug he was one was something that has since been found to amplify aggression. I can't remember what the name was because I know they outlawed it right around the same time and I haven't heard about it since. I assumed they stopped making it and even people in that crowd ended up not liking it.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

gcunit

@Anti-Matter Congrats on getting your 3DS PAL!

I've never really given much thought to using different eshop accounts on my 3DS. I buy very few games from the 3DS eshop, choosing instead to build a large physical collection of DS and 3DS games.

And sorry, I've no idea about tax in different countries.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic