Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 40,281 to 40,300 of 96,491

Heavyarms55

@Tyranexx And we have used different colors - even just in the handful of years that I have been here. So I imagine it would be noticeable.

I don't remember ever finding the phallic drawings funny. Maybe I did and have just forgotten, but I just don't recall ever going through that phase. But I know plenty of kids around me did when I was that age, and it seems to be nearly universal among jr. high school age children.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

HobbitGamer

@Heavyarms55 Maybe y’all could make it an art contest. Which instructor can turn a phallic image into the most original image or something. Heck, you could make an entire Mario level.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Anti-Matter

@ThanosReXXX
🤨 ??
I was asking about some opinions about Sonic Boom Wii U and i got unexpected answer.

"A good game is a good game, regardless of what you, I or anyone else thinks of it."

You can say that, but no matter how good of them if it doesn't fit with me, it will not impress me. It feels like i wear the best looking outfits but the size is really unfit with my body. My brain reacts differently unlike normal peoples, might be due to my Asperger and my maturity level.

About my attitudes on Xbox thread, i apologize if i complained a lot about Xbox weakness. At this point, i have no interest to think about Xbox machines despite the DDR on Xbox was still in my mind. So i will not touching Xbox thread anymore. My gaming devices from now will be just from two companies: Nintendo and Sony.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Heavyarms55

@HobbitGamer I'd suggest that - but we ran out of paint already. XD

Eel

Sonic Boom on WiiU is a buggy and bland game, there's not much to like about it.

Even the cartoon it was made for completely ignores the fact it exists. Nothing of what happens in the game is mentioned in the show.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Heavyarms55

@Anti-Matter What @ThanosReXXX is trying to explain is that a game can be good regardless of if you like it or not. Your like or dislike of a game is separate from whether a game was good or not.

Anti-Matter

@Heavyarms55
I read from local newspaper, the Corona virus epidemic was very crazy in Italy.
I just wondering from where the heck those virus suddenly appear ?
Mutation or Evolution ?

Anti-Matter

Heavyarms55

@Anti-Matter Well, I'm in Japan, not Italy, but my coworkers and I were talking about it and we think it has to do with Italian culture - at least the stereotype Italian culture has lots of handshakes, hugging and kissing. Lot's of physical contact with each other. That might have helped spread the virus faster. As for where it came from - I believe I read that the virus came to Italy from Italians who had been to China recently.

There's a ton of people spreading ideas about where the virus came from originally, but I'd ignore those ideas for now and wait for official information from the World Health Organization or some similar group of experts.

Tyranexx

@Heavyarms55 I should clarify that I never found those drawings funny either, I just find the idea amusing that something so...Jr. high seems to be pretty universal. XD

@Anti-Matter As @Eel mentioned, I would advise you to not get Sonic Boom. It's known as a buggy mess that is way more frustrating than fun. I'd find a different Sonic game if you wanna spend some time as a blue hedgehog.

...Just make sure it isn't Sonic '06.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Eel

Sonic Mania is a better game with a really cute aesthetic.

The Advance and Adventure games are also good options, I really like the pet sims those include.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Heavyarms55

@Anti-Matter If you're looking at Wii I remember my friend telling me they really liked Sonic Colors on Wii. And there's a DS version too. Never played either myself but my friend liked it.

NotTelevision

@Heavyarms55 I didn’t get into the phallic drawings much either.

There was that phase in middle school where the simplest stuff the teacher said would induce laughter. If the teacher said “whole thing” (“hole”, “hole”) illicit gestures and chuckles became contagious. I guess it was just boredom.

NotTelevision

Heavyarms55

@NotTelevision I see that a lot. The "i" sound as in six, doesn't really exist in Japanese - thus many Japanese students naturally mishear the number six as "sex" and break out into laughing fits. They're constantly trying to maneuver me into saying it because "oh man, Sensei said sex! lolololol"

The kids occasionally dare each other to ask me "What is insert lewd thing here in English?" Which is a lose lose lose because if I answer I'm teaching them... problematic language to shout in class, but if I refuse to answer they know that I know what they're talking about and "ohhh the foreign teacher knows what lewd thing is! lolololololol" and then if I don't know the answer because I apparently don't read as much hentai as they do then they laugh for other reasons.

Ahhh I miss these kids. Many of them are little demons but they're fun little demons. And I'm kinda jealous to be honest. Obviously covid19 is a serious issue - but if you gave me a month off of school out of no where - I'd have loved it as a kid!

NotTelevision

@Heavyarms55 Haha. Sounds like you were on the receiving end of some of those jokes. The “six and “sex” thing I can see the boys loving. Sometimes it can get a little out of hand and I remember having to put my serious face on a lot for the high school students.

A couple of times it got pretty funny though. I remember our topic was “Describing Objects” and one of the students picked baseball bat. Long, hard, wooden, smooth, found in a bedroom. I’m pretty sure the entire was cracking up including me. I didn’t get into the first, second, third base teen movie thing. They could find out about that later if they want.

Yeah how are you liking the forced staycation? A lot of schools in China are scrambling to put their classes online, and find different things that work during the sessions. I’ve taken a couple and it seems like the majority of the students just hide out in the session without contributing anything. For all I know they could be eating or playing video games on the other end. I suppose it’s better than nothing though.

Do you think your school will do the same?

NotTelevision

bimmy-lee

@Tyranexx - Glad you’re enjoying Ori. Hoosiers probably have the most ridiculous history with daylight savings time of all 50 states. We officially adopted it state wide in 06, and some of the old coots still haven’t gotten over it. Prior to that, most of the state didn’t participate, but some counties did, but not uniformly. Some were on EST and some were central. It was madness. You could drive across the state from E to W and arrive at the Western border at the same time you started the trek. It does mess up our days in the early spring, but it evens out by late spring. The most drastic difference I’ve seen personally with DST was when I was living in OR. It felt like it somehow created three more hours of daylight.

@ThanosReXXX - That’s interesting. I’ve always been intrigued by the mandatory service time used in some places. How were you compensated for your time, or was room and board the extent of your compensation, and the rest was considered civic duty?

Bimmy’s Beer Bear Basement Barcade became a bit of a “sometime, years down the road” project when we suddenly made a couple humans. Hence, the stockpile of cool stuff I was amassing was stashed away and has now become somewhat expendable because the Barcade is a distant goal. The basement will first have to serve many years as a play room/kid’s hang out before I can start to convert it. I’m just glad I didn’t start buying cabinets. I actually looked at a Sunset Riders cab just a few weeks before we found out we were having our first kid.

@HobbitGamer @NintendoByNature - I’m EST. I should have a chance for some vidya games about any night this week except Tuesday. I’ve had a bunch of evening work lately, but hopefully that slows down this week. It should. I call player one. I just can’t play on the right side of the screen. Can’t do it.

@Anti-Matter - Dude, just grab Sonic Mania or one of the Sega Ages ports of the original Sonic games. You’re over thinking it. 2D Sonic is the only Sonic, and it’s super cute and quirky. You rescue baby animals.

Edited on by bimmy-lee

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

Tyranexx

@Anti-Matter I second the Sonic Colors recommendation on the Wii. I haven't played the game, but I've heard it's decent.

@bimmy-lee Ori is challenging, but is fun for the most part. There was a particular section in Forlorn Ruins I was having issues with the other night, but I finally made it. I'd estimate I'm about 2/3 of the way through the main story, going by HLTB's averages.

Man, the timezone issues really do sound like a pain for Hoosiers. I know I've seen an outdated map that had the state split almost in half between both Eastern and Central at one point. I'm just glad that one of my once in awhile theme park haunts, Holiday World, is still in Central Time. That makes planning easier. XD

Edit: Looks like that old map was from the sixties.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

ThanosReXXX

@Tyranexx The "monkey with yellow hair avatar" was this one:
Untitled
Don't know if you even caught that one, because I only used it very shortly...
(edit: and of course, at this current size, it's clearly visible what or who it is, whereas reducing it to an avatar thumbnail kind of takes away a large part of the details)

@Anti-Matter I was already afraid that you wouldn't understand...
My comment wasn't related to Sonic Boom. It's just a constructive criticism about your taste in games and your opinion and comments on other people's taste in general. I was kind of hoping against my better judgment that you would understand that, but apparently not...

And yes, @Heavyarms55 is completely right: if a game is labeled as good by media, awards, events and so on, then it simply IS a good game, and that has nothing to do with my personal taste or your personal taste. It's an objective judgment on that game by professional media, and we cannot deny that.

It does NOT mean that because a website or any other kind of media says that a game is very good, like a 9 or even a perfect 10, that you HAVE to like it or play it. For example: if I don't like racing games, then a game could score a 12 for all I care, but I still wouldn't play or like it. But, besides my completely personal opinion on those types of games, it still doesn't change the FACT that a game got high scores or rewards. It simply can't be a bad game if so many media are so positive about it.

Like or want are preferences and opinions, so not facts. You often say things like "well, it may be considered a good game by many, but it's a bad game for me" while what you should ACTUALLY be saying is that it's simply not your taste or that it doesn't interest you. A single individual does not have the power or authority to judge a game as bad when practically the entire world is positive about it.

It really IS that simple.

Oh, by the way: I agree with all the others concerning Sonic Boom. Now that actually IS universally regarded as a bad game. On Wii, check out Sonic Colors, it's a really enjoyable Sonic title. And Sonic Generations and Mania on Wii U and Switch are also pretty good.

@bimmy-lee Well, there is some compensation, but not a lot. It was called "soldij" over here, which translates to something like "combat salary" or "war wages", but obviously that's a bit of a weird term, seeing as we were never at war. But it's a very old word, and it stems from the Middle Ages. I suppose the best modern translation would be "service pay", because it's a fee that you get in return for serving your country by performing/fulfilling your military duty. And a fee is all it is, because in general, you'd get no more than little over a third, maybe 40% of a regular salary for 18 year olds, so back then, that was around 600 - 700 bucks a month.

So yes, most of it was indeed room and board, or rather: just rooms. We stayed at the base at all times, except for every other weekend, when we had some free time to go home and visit family and friends.
The food wasn't free however. From your service pay, you would buy breakfast, lunch and dinner tickets/coupons, which you could then use in the canteens/mess halls to get food. No actual money was ever exchanged in those places, so if you didn't have any coupons, you'd have no meal either.

The only place where they did use normal money, was in the various bars on base. And let me tell you: the beer was ridiculously cheap. Meals weren't that expensive either, so even though we didn't have much money, it was enough to get around every month, but the beer took the crown where ridiculously low prices were concerned.

I vividly remembered this: because it was the first day, and you know you're going to be stuck with 11 other guys in a room for more than a year, I decided to bite the bullet that first evening, and offered to get the first round of drinks. So, I went to the bar and ordered 12 glasses of beer. The bartender put the glasses on a tray and said: "that'll be 4,80". I said: "no, I meant TWELVE beers" and he said: "yeah, I know. That's 4,80", to which I replied: "okay, then. Well, in that case, make it 24 beers".

Suffice to say that I made a VERY good first impression on my newly acquired room mates...

Not so much with my parents, though. Later that evening I went to the base's phone booth, to call home, because I promised my parents I would let them know how things went, and if I was still okay after the first day of testing and stuff. But the first thing I said when my dad answered the phone was "Hey, dad. The beer is VERY cheap here" and he said "yeah, I can hear that" because apparently, I wasn't talking nearly as clearly as I thought I was...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic