Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 39,881 to 39,900 of 41,902

ThanosReXXX

@Heavyarms55 How so? Are you that much against catching and releasing them? It's a win-win, basically. You're rid of them, and they get to stay alive. Mind you, I do have an electric fly light in my kitchen in the summer, seeing as the adjoining balcony of my apartment hangs over the canals, so you can probably imagine how many little flying critters might potentially come up here during those hot summer days...

But in general, bees, spiders, bugs, mice, and anything other than flies or mosquitoes will leave this building unharmed 9 out of 10 times. It occasionally happens that they don't want to cooperate, or that I simply have bad aim with the container that I'm trying to catch them with (usually a small glass jar, so I can actually see if I was successful), but that's completely by accident, so I never aim to kill them.

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

HobbitGamer

@ThanosReXXX I’m about the same in regards to insects, with a few exceptions; RIFA, paper wasps, and brown recluse are all insecta non grata around here. I already know two folks that have had tissue surgically removed due to the necrosis from recluse bites here. And I’ve been stung on the earlobe by a paper wasp more than once. RIFA needs now excuse. That monster doesn’t belong in this world.

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

NintendoByNature

@ThanosReXXX definitely interested and will watch both when i get a few moments. Watched the Campbell's soup segment which was pretty neat.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code:SW-5367-2536-4308

Heavyarms55

@ThanosReXXX It's not as though I have a pathological hatred of them or anything, I just don't really care enough. They're just insects and spiders, not thinking animals even on the level of a mouse. Which, if one got in, I would catch and release. I don't go out of my way to kill them, I just don't care enough to spend an extra 20 minutes trying to catch a spider when I can just crush it and toss the paper towel in the toilet.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Discord: Heavyarms55 / SW 4867-2891-2493#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx
Edelgard profile pic credit to: https://roselph.tumblr.com/

bimmy-lee

I was just listening to a podcast, and Dave Grohl is being interviewed. He said he made his first paycheck in music when he was 21, it was $400 and he immediately bought a BB gun, a Nintendo, and some whippets. Nice little afternoon he had for himself there. That amount of money was quite a chunk of change at that time. It speaks to the meteoric rise of Nirvana.

@HobbitGamer - I’m stuck on RIFA? I’ve seen a few ROUSs, but I can’t think of what a RIFA could be. All wasps and hornets should die. It’s what they wish upon us and I reciprocate those wishes. I will fight every last one of them.

@NintendoByNature - Did you make it to the recital, or were you too wrecked? How are things looking for Sonic Movie Project 2020?

@ThanosReXXX - I’m with you on preserving all life when possible... except wasps and hornets. If you read above, it’s a blood feud for me. I grew up in an old farm house that had more than a couple yellow jacket infestations through the years, and one of their ports was in a window in a bathroom. As you know, they’re drawn to water, and I was once stung where the sun don’t shine while sitting on the toilet, innocently playing Tetris on my Game Boy and working on something important. It was the cheapest shot possible, and I’ll never forgive hornets. Or wasps for that matter. Love me some bees though.

@Tyranexx - I do enjoy Lion King. Especially Rafiki. What a BA. She has a couple other digital downloads that she won’t watch right now. She doesn’t like that Beast is sometimes mean and can’t forgive him for it, and she doesn’t like that Ariel chooses legs and Prince Eric over mermaid tail and her dad. She’s still at an age where I’m a superhero, and I’m just soaking it up. I know some day I’ll be embarrassing, so I’ll enjoy superhero status while I can.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

Heavyarms55

@bimmy-lee I always enjoy little reminders like that, that celebrities enjoy the same kinds of things us "normal" people do, too.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Discord: Heavyarms55 / SW 4867-2891-2493#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx
Edelgard profile pic credit to: https://roselph.tumblr.com/

NotTelevision

@bimmy-lee That’s an interesting factoid. That must’ve been a really weird turnaround for him and the band.

I didn’t realize for a long time that Grohl wasn’t the drummer on Bleach. He didn’t join until 1990. The drummer from the Melvins was in the studio for that album.

NotTelevision

HobbitGamer

@bimmy-lee Red Imported Fire Ants, aka Satan’s festering dandruff, aka hellspawn fleas, aka little tiny death monsters.

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Anti-Matter

@HobbitGamer
Dandruff is like snowflake from the head. 😆

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4 (96)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (95)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (91)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

HobbitGamer

@Anti-Matter Yeah, but Satan's dandruff is like hot wispy embers wafting from a volcano eruption.

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

ThanosReXXX

Oh, God. When will the hurting stop? Pfffff....

@NintendoByNature all videos are from the official Food Factory Channel, so if you go to the actual YouTube page of that second video, you'll probably see the next episode listed in the top right, and otherwise you can check out their play list.

@HobbitGamer Yeah, I can imagine, I'm of the same mind concerning wasps and hornets. If it's a single ordinary wasp, I'll still try to just get it go outside, but if it keeps annoying me or flying back in, then the gloves are off. As for fire ants: heard about them, and I've seen documentaries about what a nuisance they can be, but fortunately, we don't have them over here. We've only got regular ants, which can be taken care of with a little lure box with poison, but even these regular ants are hardly present in the city. They're more likely to be found in the areas outside of the city, or in parks and/or areas with lots of greens and sand and so on.

@bimmy-lee Thanks for asking about RIFA, I was racking my brain about it as well. And as mentioned above, we agree on certain bugs.

@Heavyarms55 20 minutes? What the heck are you doing that you'd need so much time?
All kidding aside, I'd almost say that this must be some sight to see. Normally, spiders don't move that fast, so if I see one, I get a jar and a piece of cardboard to use as a lid, spider goes in the jar within 2 minutes, cardboard on top to prevent its escape, then off to the balcony, and itsy bitsy spider goes over the edge, down in the garden of the neighbor below...

EDIT:
But fair enough, and perhaps I should also take into account that the size of the spiders that we normally encounter over here, is rather small, so I can also imagine that bigger spiders come with more hazards and are probably faster as well.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

HobbitGamer

@ThanosReXXX Yeah, I remember you saying before that you don't have RIFA. They can definitely be nasty buggers. Their venom is an alkaloid instead of an acid like most ants, and the way they attack is certainly worse. Where a typical ant will bite and then spray acid on the wound, fire ants grab the offender with the pincers on their head, then swivel their body around to repeatedly sting with their abdomen.

Untitled

They also really like electrical fields. I've got a colleague that's had to replace a water well pump twice because fire ants get into the housing and start chewing the wire's insulation.

Edited on by HobbitGamer

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Anti-Matter

@ThanosReXXX
"Normally, spiders don't move that fast"

Except funnel web spider. 😖

My Top 6 games :

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

ThanosReXXX

@Anti-Matter Read the edit I made to my previous comment: I said spiders OVER HERE. We don't have exotic kinds. Just your regular home and garden spider.

@HobbitGamer Why hide that picture? I'm not squeamish about insects or bugs at all.
But yeah, that all sounds really "nice", and from what I've seen in documentaries and so on, I'm REALLY glad that we don't have them over here.

On a side note: have you ever watched the TV series Zoo? In case you haven't: in it, animals are taking over the world, due to some experiments gone wrong, and the very thing you mentioned about fire ants liking electrical fields is also used in that series, so it's fantasy mixed with science.

@bimmy-lee Forgot to ask: you solved the RIFA riddle for me, but then you yourself came up with ROUSs. So.... what are those?

NintendoByNature

@bimmy-lee thankfully I made it to the recital. And I'm supposed to take the kids to see the movie today, but I still have a headache. The worst thing would be a loud theater but we'll see if it subsides.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code:SW-5367-2536-4308

Tyranexx

@bimmy-lee Beauty and the Beast was one of my favorites too; I think Bimily will eventually get past his meanness lol. Plus, though it's a song about narcissism, the Gaston song is still a riot. XD I liked The Little Mermaid too, though one of the last scenes with Ursula scared me when I was very young.

Enjoy superhero status while you can! Before long, she'll realize parental embarrassment comes with the job. My parents STILL embarrass me on occasion. XD

I grew up on a farm too, though our house was a log cabin. I think a lot of bugs mistook it as a giant tree. I dealt with wasps, bore bees, those flying wood roaches (ugh), the fall ladybug invasion in warmer weather, and a few years ago right after I moved out my parents also had to deal with carpenter ants. We lived right next to the woods. Out of all of those, I daresay the wasps are the worst. They have no problem with stinging. I much prefer bees as they aren't aggressive suckers.

@HobbitGamer I feel for you on RIFAs. We thankfully don't have them where I'm at thanks to a couple of natural barriers (large rivers), but I think it's only a matter of time. I've seen documentaries on those things. I don't kill most insects unless I absolutely need to, but those things are off their home turf and need to be sent packing. I've had some foul experiences with more native ants yet know the RIFA is much worse.

Funnily enough, I also got addicted to watching that anthill art YT channel somewhat recently.

Currently playing: Link's Awakening (Switch), WarioWare Gold

Switch Friend Code: SW-3478-2466-4791 | Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

Anti-Matter

@Tyranexx
Speaking about Ursula from Little Mermaid, sometimes i like to sing her Poor Unfortunate Souls and also mimicking her conversations with Ariel during making a deal with transformation. My voice sounds a bit similar with Ursula when she was talking. 😆

Edited on by Anti-Matter

My Top 6 games :

HobbitGamer

@ThanosReXXX I did it for any folks that can’t view nature. And yes, I enjoyed Zoo!
I also really enjoyed the first season of Helix. The second season, while interesting in its own right, didn’t do much to advance the overall story.

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

bimmy-lee

@Heavyarms55 - Yeah, it’s always fun to humanize a famous person and realize you actually have something in common with them. He said he was a lower middle class kid, and $400 was a LOT of money to him, so those items must have been pretty big ticket items to 21 year old Dave Grohl. Pretty funny. He probably spent half the check getting set up with his NES and some games.

@NotTelevision - He talked a little about what he was doing just before Nirvana. He had moved to DC to be part of the punk/rock scene and was happily working at (I think) a furniture store or warehouse by day and playing drums in local bands by night. He had an album out with one of those bands, and while he didn’t elaborate exactly how it happened, it sounded like he just sort of got a call from Geffen to see if he was interested in playing drums for the studio recording of Nevermind, and that was that. He totally changed their sound. He also said he was basically playing disco rhythms on both albums, which was a bit mind boggling, so it’s something new to listen for sometime.

@HobbitGamer - Ah, that sounds so familiar that I think I’ve asked you that before. Horrible little creatures. We don’t have them here, but probably will once they spread out and overtake the entire continent. I’m also for the mass murder of imported, invasive organisms. I’ve mentioned it before, but the emerald ash bore has been destroying native Midwest hardwood forests for decades now.

@ThanosReXXX - Haha, mine was a Princess Bride joke/reference. ROUS = rodents of unusual size. They live in the dreaded fire swamps.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

Tyranexx

@Anti-Matter Ursula was definitely a well-done character. She's conniving and presents a "fair" deal, but she's only in it for herself and has no problem stabbing others in the back. Not much different from some salespeople, to be honest. Thankfully they're not all that way; some of them do hold to honesty and goodwill.

Poor Unfortunate Souls is another one of my Disney song favorites.

Currently playing: Link's Awakening (Switch), WarioWare Gold

Switch Friend Code: SW-3478-2466-4791 | Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic