Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 39,781 to 39,800 of 40,004

HobbitGamer

Friggin' salt mines, these are.

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Zuljaras

gcunit wrote:

@Zuljaras In today's lgbqt-woke world, the phrase 'every hole's a goal' has never been truer

Those are sad times to live in but it is still manageable

Zuljaras

ThanosReXXX

@1UP_MARIO Thank God it's Friday...

@bimmy-lee What? You're a hot glue YouTube video virgin? Oh, man. An entire WORLD of possibilities must have been revealed to you. Your mind must be reeling right now, I suppose...

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NintendoByNature

@bimmy-lee good to know you're back at it, being the best bimmy you can be. I believe you lost weight without doing anything else. Have you considered drinking a nice watered down beer like mich ultra? I say watered down, but it's still 4.2%. It's just lower calorie.

I picked up a sixer of lagunitas the other day after taking a long hiatus from them, and I'm not used to craft beer anymore so the hoppiness really gave me a terrible headache where it kinda ruined the night for me. I think I'm sticking to michs from now on, honestly, for that reason. Craft is just made differently and it tends to give me a headache. Either way, im happy you're back on your beer kick.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code:SW-5367-2536-4308

bimmy-lee

@ThanosReXXX - I had no idea the broadness and depth. I’ve seen it used in whacky ways a few times at art shows, but I still had no idea. Now I really want to cut stuff up, glue it to other stuff, and spray paint it. Some of the projects I saw were fully formed processes of rudimentary ideas I had for it, so I’m on the right path. I have to test the hold though. I’m hoping it’s strong enough to replace a clear silicone caulk I’ve been using for some projects, which is really expensive.

@NintendoByNature - Yeah, I can drink anything really. The beer that tastes like beer to me is Miller Lite. It’s terrible, but I can happily sip one. I have some in the fridge as well. I’m definitely going to work more light beer into the rotation, so maybe some Ultra as well. I can only go so long before I want something with more punch all around though, even if I know it’s gonna hurt a bit in the end. My plan was to ease in with a few Lites, then try out a sour and a dipa, but I’ve already skipped over the Lites and gone straight to the sours.

Edited on by bimmy-lee

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee Depends on what the purpose of the thing/element you're wanting to glue is. I wouldn't replace any silicone-cemented elements with glue if it needs to retain a bit of flexibility, because that's what silicone bonds are best for, but if it's for drainage or whatever, then glue may be just the ticket. Although not necessarily hot glue.

But it's great and more than multi-purpose for all kinds of hobby related projects.

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Eel

Don't forget to share pics of your new hot glue flip flops, and that hot glue chandelier you'll make.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

My dead channel.

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

NintendoByNature

@bimmy-lee it makes sense to skip lights considering you went almost 2 months without beer. My heavier go to beer I can drink daily is Sam Adams Boston lager. Reminds me I haven't had it in a couple months for whatever reason. Probabaly to cut back on calories.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code:SW-5367-2536-4308

bimmy-lee

@ThanosReXXX - I’d like to use it as a secondary binder at joints on old furniture, specifically dressers, tables, and things with drawers, and in areas that aren’t typically seen unless the piece is disassembled. Also maybe in upholstery work, but my big stapler is usually good for that.

@Eel - The flip flops were my favorite. That lady blew one out, and it seemed like she was going to repair them with hot glue, but nope, she just made an entirely new flip flop. She was on her way back out the door in five minutes!

@NintendoByNature - I’d say it’s about time you had a talk with Sammy then. I’m drinking a raspberry sour aged ale that’s quite a puncher. It’s like a little jab right in the chops every gulp, but in a good way.

limby-bee was a jerk.

Sunsy

A friend and I went to see the Sonic movie today. As a fan, I loved it, it even exceeded my expectations. Don't know if anyone from Nintendo Life's community is going to see it, please stay for the post credits scene. The movie was a very fun time.

Also, Happy Valentine's Day Chit-chat thread to anyone celebrating today.

Sunsy

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee I wouldn't use glue for upholstery, but for all the other purposes you mentioned, I'd say it's fair game. Although personally, I'm more of a "get the designated glue for the job" kinda guy, so for wood, I'd either use wood glue, or else multi-purpose montage kit or contact glue, or whatever you'd call that in your neck of the woods.

And perhaps you're not too far off from that way of thinking, seeing as you already mentioned that you'd need to see if it would hold or not.

Then again: maybe hot glue comes in more varieties than when I used it, nowadays, so perhaps there actually is one specifically tailored to wooden surfaces.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

HobbitGamer

Raspberry-flavored glow in the dark hot glue is my favorite variety.

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

SheldonRandoms

We live in a time where Fortnite X Rick Astley is a thing, I think a certain Blue Hedgehog might be the one responsible for this.

Edited on by SheldonRandoms

NL's #1 kangaroo fan of SpongeBob Squarepants and Ristar!

Aren't LUCARIO's paws adorable? (MOAR adorable than all of the Eevee'z)

Rev up those fryers! MY LEG!

Also created Sheldon & Mr. Randoms on flipnote hatena, it was a series which I MADE!

I'M SwElLtAsTiC!

Switch Friend Code: SW-2240-6609-5332 | 3DS Friend Code: 5429-9754-3617 | Nintendo Network ID: SheldonRandoms

bimmy-lee

@Sunsy - Glad you enjoyed and had the courage to say so because I think it became a thing the internet decided we’re supposed to hate. I can’t seem to ever make it to the theater, but I’ll definitely watch it when it releases for the home audience. I’m a longtime fan of both Sonic and Jim Carey.

@ThanosReXXX - Wood glue is always handy, but I started running into a problem with it in this application, which is general re fortification of joints and seams of old, worn furniture. Not really fixing anything so much as backfilling what time and use erodes away. Wood glue dries so hard that it can crack and break when I use it to fill gaps or seams in something like a wobbly old end table for instance. The dry hot glue appears to have a surprising amount of flex from what I saw in some of the YT videos, which is typically what I need. I just need to experiment with it on some wax paper. This silicone caulk does everything I need, but I just bought a lot of glue sticks for about an eighth of the cost of the silicone. Once it’s opened, it really doesn’t last long either. I’ve only been able to stretch a couple days out of a tube before it gets too thick to pump out.

@HobbitGamer - That stuff is super good with pineapple on it.

Edited on by bimmy-lee

limby-bee was a jerk.

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee When it comes to cracks, depending on their size/length, I've seen professional furniture/wood restorators/repairmen either use dark wax or moldable wood putty, which is basically a component paste that looks and acts like wood once it's dry. Might not be the cheapest option, although I wouldn't be able to tell you that, but I do know that it's the most durable one.

EDIT:
But needless to say, if hot glue suits your purposes, then of course you should use that. The aforementioned options are also more for parts of furniture that are in plain site, which might make using wax or moldable wood a more attractive option than transparent glue.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Tyranexx

THREE pages....Sorry guys, but I've been kind of out of the internet loop today, so replies only it is! Busy day, plus I'm trying to get a few things done around home since I'll be gone half of tomorrow and part of Sunday as well. At least I had a pretty decent burrito today.

@NotTelevision Many of the GS employees here have worked at the store for a long time; they're friendly and usually pretty knowledgeable. I've only ever had one negative experience there, several years ago; that was partially my own doing (I had high anxiety at the time, which was manifesting itself in a way some would consider odd), but the associate helping me at the time was also a bit of an @$$. Let's just say I've learned my lesson with GameStop's refurbs. Thankfully the guy no longer works there.

I haven't been in there lately since I've been trying to make my backlog shrink a bit, but my hope is to get in there and do a couple of trade-ins before long and go through some of their used stock. I don't buy used games often, but there are a couple DS titles that I'm better off buying secondhand vs. paying an insane premium.

Funnily enough, there is a Goodwill nearby, but I've never thought to check it for games. The secondhand store is a one-man electronics shop that operates in a town about forty minutes from here. I've never been in there yet (but intend to), but an acquaintance of mine who likes collecting retro games/systems has scored some pretty decent deals there.

@ThanosReXXX Last time I had an overnight stay in a busy area of Chicago (late 2016 IIRC), I must've been pretty close to a fire station; I was awakened more than once by screaming sirens. Hearing sirens along the busy road I'm near isn't uncommon, but they quiet the sirens after certain hours and only briefly squeal or honk at any traffic. There often isn't a lot of traffic late at night other than the occasional passing vehicle or semi truck.

My last stay in a large city (Philadelphia this past fall) was a bit quieter.

The air is definitely different in the city vs. the country, but what I tend to notice the most besides the noise is the brightness of the stars. I totally understand why they build observatories in remote places.

Currently playing: Dragon Quest VIII (3DS), Ori and the Blind Forest (Switch), Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Switch Friend Code: SW-3478-2466-4791 | Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

Sunsy

@bimmy-lee I did, yeah I've always been the check out something for myself kind of guy, rather than go with what the popular opinion is. Same could be said about games too. Enjoy it when you do get around to it, I loved how Jim Carrey was practically 90's Jim Carrey. He was a lot of fun as Robotnik.

Sunsy

bimmy-lee

@ThanosReXXX - If I was repairing finished wood (stained and sealed), definitely some kind of wax or putty compound is the way to go. I’ve messed around with a few finished wood projects, but I don’t really enjoy that process. There’s way too much sanding, and I don’t like working with stain. Too runny and messy. I should have been more specific in that I try to only work with old stuff that I can refurbish and paint. So any reinforcing, backfilling, bracing, and nailing I do is typically painted over or otherwise hidden.

@Tyranexx - The number one thing I miss about growing up in a rural area is the night sky. It’s amazing to look up and see an unfathomable amount of stars in the sky. I’m reminded of it every time I visit my parents and leave at night, and it’s incredible. Somewhere around the 20 minute mark of the drive back home, when we start to hit the south side of my city, they all fade out and the whole sky just becomes a smoggy orange glow.

@Sunsy - That’s a good way to be. Nobody knows what makes you happy more than you. Yes, a huge part of my excitement is a dose of what looks like zany, 90s Jim Carey. I’m in.

limby-bee was a jerk.

Eel

Talking about crafts and stuff, I found a nice YouTube channel with videos about book binding, and made my very first mini notebook with printer paper, cardboard and dental floss.

It's quite fun!

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

My dead channel.

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Anti-Matter

@bimmy-lee
Btw, have you watched Sonic movie 2020 ?
Here in Indonesia it haven't released yet on 14 February 2020.
It said Coming Soon on February 2020.
Have you seen ny previous post with Sonic movie 2020 standee?

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4 (96)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (95)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (91)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic