Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 39,761 to 39,780 of 40,004

Anti-Matter

@DannyBoi
Well, at least i have excuse to consider other games from PS3 / PSP / PS4 / PS2 / PS1 / 3DS / NDS / Wii that i still don't have them yet while waiting for upcoming Switch games. 😁

I have a plan to buy a few Switch games on this year 2020 due to my priority to build other games library. I still haven't bought some 1st party games such as New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe, Yoshi Crafted World, Super Mario Maker 2, Luigi Mansion 3, Pokemon Shield, etc since those games are easy to be found even i bought them late.

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4 (96)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (95)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (91)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

HobbitGamer

DannyBoi wrote:

I am getting really worried about Nintendo's plans for 2020. They have none.

You say something along these lines every week. Maybe you’d benefit from an additional hobby?

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

ThanosReXXX

@Anti-Matter Well, they clearly don't, because it isn't proper English. Assumptions are deadly...
And besides: "Special for" is also not something that we proper English speaking people would say.

Also, there was never going to be any "gender confusion", so that's just in your mind. You could have just said that you got it from a student, and nobody would have thought anything about it. Now, by specifically mentioning it, you're causing more noise than you would have otherwise. So, next time, think before you post, or don't post at all, because nobody cares that you got a gift from your student.

@NEStalgia You forgot teh smilehs, so it looks like you mad, bro...

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

ThanosReXXX

@Zuljaras Lucky you. They're pretty good games, with a great story, so I'm all but sure that you'll enjoy them.

By the way: how's the cyclops coming along, and how did it go down with the Valentine's Day gift?

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Anti-Matter

@ThanosReXXX
"because nobody cares that you got a gift from your student."

Why are you so cold with whatever i posted here ? 🤨
I don't understand you.
Everything from me were wrong in your eyes.

My Top 6 games :

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX It's funnier without the smiles, because you can't tell if trolling or serious snowflake

y cant tanos bloom?

Regarding the "gender confusion", after Anti mentioned it, that coming from the mindset of a gendered language, that would indeed be something to consider in translation. English doesn't work that way, but now that he explained that, I think I see what happened if thinking in a gendered language mindset. Of course, in English it sounds a little pedo..... especially given @Anti-matter s preferences. So note to Anti - gender confusion with a generic term like "student" isn't a thing with English. It's better to leave it out, otherwise it sounds creepy

NEStalgia

Eel

Let's stop this right here.

No need to continue that branch of discussion.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

My dead channel.

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Zuljaras

@ThanosReXXX Oh the cyclops is on hold because of the V-day gift and it was loved (like she had any choice on the matter!). Juuust kidding! Or am I!

She got me Final Fantasy VII The Zodiac Age for the Switch and she got me this Metro Redux (we were together at the store).

This weekend I have to study a little for my programming course and I have to spend quality time with her, so no sculpting

Zuljaras

ThanosReXXX

@Anti-Matter It's not cold, it's just what it is: I really don't care. On the other hand: you need to get over your issues of wanting everybody to like you and liking what you post. I like some of what you post, and other things I don't like. That's just the way it is, nothing more, nothing less.

@NEStalgia Well, I would certainly hope that it would just be conceived as a gift from a kind or nice student, and nothing beyond that. The thought alone...

But @Eel's right. Let's not dive into that any further than we already have.

Anti-Matter

@NEStalgia
To clarify, i didn't have any intention to put some confusion. Pardon of my poor English proficiency.
Let me tell you the chronology in the morning.
He (the boy student) gave all the teachers with chocolate gift as celebration of Valentine Day. I said "He" because that was exactly happened. I got the gift from a boy student this morning. Did i write something wrong ? I have no intention to talk about sexual innuendo from my post above.

My Top 6 games :

NEStalgia

@Anti-Matter I know. I think @Eel has the wrong idea of the conversation, so I'll continue anyway.

What I was saying was when you first said it, because it's an unconventional usage in English, it came across as innuendo (because if specifying gender like that in English, and especially in the context that the speaker, you, is someone who makes innuendos along those lines regarding game characters and such at times would normally be used to imply innuendo.)

But after you mentioned it it occurred to me it was a language use confusion, and, I'm assuming Indonesian is gendered, like most Asian languages, it's probably normal to have to specify a gender of the sentence subject in Indonesian, thus the confusion!

In English, it wouldn't be typical to specify the student's gender in such a way of "a male student." it would just be "a student." In the generic form. The gendered form might be used in the context of "a boy gave" or "a girl gave" - but it would be used, in that case, typically without "student", which, since we're talking about a gift in the student-teacher context, would be less accurate.

So just "a student gave" would be the common English usage, without specification of gender unless it was inquired in conversation separately.

It's just one of those "common use" paradoxes of English. The result of how it was phrased would be seen as "trying to imply something about the relationship to the gift giver" if phrased that way by a native English speaker.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Ah, that's what you meant. Okay, I guess that's a plausible explanation, then. No weird factor to be found after all. Phew!

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Eel

@NEStalgia I wasn't talking specifically to you.

I just didn't want any more of the "anti matter is (x)" talk. This is not the place for it.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

My dead channel.

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

1UP_MARIO

Untitled[/url]

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5229-5058-9308

ThanosReXXX

@Eel Decided to follow your self-censoring example by editing my previous comment. The c word was a bit too harsh, I suppose.

@1UP_MARIO Erm.... I don't really think that's helping things along...
(just kidding)

1UP_MARIO

@ThanosReXXX lol sorry.

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5229-5058-9308

bimmy-lee

@NEStalgia - Sorry about the delayed response, I realized you were right and precisely hot glued the exterior of the house. I’m pretty happy with the results. I accidentally melted off three of my fingerprints, but hey, seven more to go and I’ll be an excellent criminal.

@Eel - That suggestion sent me down a mind blowing rabbit hole of craft ideas on YT. I barely crawled out, and I’m definitely going back for more later! And here I thought a hot glue gun was simply for fastening things together.

@DannyBoi - We’re six weeks into 2020, so it’s obvious Nintendo is just winging it this year. It’s something a lot of these companies do. Worst case scenario, they can just release BOTW2 in whatever state it’s in, then milk out the rest of the game in paid DLC.

@NintendoByNature - My beer break is officially over. I went a couple extra days to make up for my two NFL related cheat days, then added a couple more days to end the week. I lost four pounds without really altering anything else in my diet or exercise, and felt a slight uptick in morning energy. Nothing mind blowing, but I’m glad I did it. I went to the beer store this morning. Picked up my beer club six pack, mixed a sixer of sour beers and double IPAs, grabbed some seltzers for my wife, and snuck in a six pack of Bells Hopslam on my way to the counter. So, I’m back.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic