Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 38,661 to 38,680 of 96,481

HobbitGamer

sees pages of chocolate
I like Twizzlers

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee There were no pretzels in the Dutch Three Musketeers bar, just caramel/taffee. But there's more differences in candy bars, or actually in snacks in general. Not only ingredients, but also names. Back in the day, we in Europe were apparently not allowed to use several brand names that were used in the US, so instead of Twix we had Raider, instead of M&Ms we had Treets (the peanut version, and it only came in brown color) and we didn't have the regular M&Ms either, those were called Bonitos, and instead of the M&Ms logo, they had smiley faces on them.
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
And far as an example of snacks are concerned, we weren't allowed to use the name Lays for potato chips, so over here, the brand was called "Smiths".
Untitled

@NotTelevision Three Musketeers was also latticed taffee/caramel dipped in chocolate. It was always one of my favorite candy bars when I was little, along with Caramac, but I don't know if that was known in that many countries outside of the Netherlands, let alone in the Americas.
Untitled

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

ThanosReXXX

So.... this just happened:
Untitled
Had to do multiple page refreshes before I got rid of it. No idea why I got to see this, but luckily it was only a temporary hiccup, apparently.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Anti-Matter

(Sees conversation about chocolates)
Are we in Willy Wonka factory ?

Anti-Matter

bimmy-lee

@ThanosReXXX - Ah, I thought the braided caramel in the old Three Musketeers ad was pretzel. All clear now. The naming issue is interesting. I could have guessed what was in each bag, it’s pretty funny. I think I’d prefer Treets. Brown seems less toxic than whatever they have to put in the candy shell to make them the other colors of the rainbow.

@HobbitGamer - This hasn’t really been an inclusive conversation. I have room in my life for lots of different candy. I almost put licorice in a class by itself because it’s unique and has its own flavor. It’s a funny word too.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

Tyranexx

Licorice is one of the sweet foods I can easily ignore; I don't particularly care for it, especially that foul black licorice stuff. Try biting into one of those flavored jelly beans that you think is actually a grape one....Yuck. :nauseated_face:

Some sweet things are easily ignored in this corner, but I absolutely love most chocolate (except that shellac stuff on ice cream like at Dairy Queen), most cakes, many types of cookies, most pies, and pretty much all cheesecake. I'm not into a lot of the Little Debbie type snacks these days though; most of those are WAY too sweet and fake-tasting.

@Heavyarms55 I dunno, some of those vague musical descriptions sound pretty good. Granted, I don't listen to a lot of "typical" American/English music lol. Mostly out of the rock and metal genres. Though I'll listen to just about anything if I'm in the right mood as long as it isn't country and straight opera. Then there are video game OSTs, Disney metal covers, some Lindsey Stirling, early 2000s pop....

...Oh wait. For a classroom.

Disney music should be fine I'm sure. Taylor Swift...eh....

Maybe some Weird Al?

@alpacatears We have better chocolate than that, though one of my favorites is actually a German brand. I'm assuming the difference is that our food is much, MUCH sweeter on average (going off of online feedback I've found)? One doesn't notice it here until they cut a ton of sugar out of their diet. A lot of our packaged stuff unfortunately has a lot of artificial sweeteners, syrups, and cheap sugar subs to lower production costs. Corn syrups in particular are pretty common since corn is a highly subsidized product here.

@NintendoByNature Thanks for the heads up! Though I think I'll be passing on this game.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

bimmy-lee

Sounds delicious. It’s shreds or ground up and formed then with some kind of binding agent? My family consumes a lot of coconut products.

Edit - I didn’t edit.
Edit - I did, but I didn’t.

Edited on by bimmy-lee

limby-bee was a jerk.

MsJubilee

Eel wrote:

Here in Mexico we have a traditional candy bar that is all shredded coconut.

Are those called Bandera de coco? I absolutely love those candies.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Resident Evil 4 Remake & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Eel

Yeah the most common version is the bandera de coco. I believe they're called "cocadas", in general.

It's like soft and chewy, the coconut usually very fine, though it varies. Kinda like a rice crispy treat, but with soft coconut shreds instead of crunchy rice.

I do like them quite a bit. Though it's kinda uncommon to just buy one for the sake of it, it's more like, party candy.

Might get one next time I see them.

Another interesting candy bar that seems to be from Mexico (though more modern) is the Bubu Lubu. It's a weirdly shaped bar, where the lower half is a denser marshmallow, the upper half is a soft strawberry gummy-thingy, and the whole thing is completely covered in a thin layer of chocolate. I used to love these as a kid.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

bimmy-lee

That sounds really good. I’ve seen some pretty unusual Mexican candy at certain gas stations and the international grocery. I haven’t tried much of it, but it’s fun to browse. I’ve noticed there’s a trend of balancing the sweet with salty tamarind and spicy heat.

limby-bee was a jerk.

Eel

Oh yeah we do love our spicy candy.

I don't really like tamarind myself. But it's a staple of Mexican candy.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

NintendoByNature

So after reading that retro game article stating worth of the carts, I went and checked my cart of Mike Tysons punch out and I only have the 3 screw version, not the expensive 5 screw 😣

NintendoByNature

WoomyNNYes

@NintendoByNature After counting three screws, I would have booed that cartridge 😊

In the US, I'm surprised that almost all esports on cable tv seem to be Blast Pro. Is Blast Pro that popular of a game? I'm assuming, yes?

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

bimmy-lee

@NintendoByNature - Give up, retire, game over. Start training and make a comeback!

limby-bee was a jerk.

Zuljaras

Yesss this is rare but Blizzard just refunded me the pre-order of Warcraft 3 Reforged! It was made on 18 August 2019 but still I gave them an earful because they failed so hard! Now I will buy a Switch game with the money!

NintendoByNature

@NotTelevision true. I just can't figure out if it's what popinskis actual drink of choice is.. It's been a longing question I've had since I first struck laid eyes on his handle bar stache

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic