Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 37,781 to 37,800 of 96,474

bimmy-lee

@NintendoByNature - Yep, same director, same sense of looming dread. Hereditary is a more well rounded movie that feels like a movie, Midsommar is more of a rambling experience. One that you’ll probably only want to experience one time, but you’ll think about it for a long time after, and maybe it feels a little like something you shouldn’t have watched, yet you’re glad you did. Something like that.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

Tyranexx

@Eel Golett came with the first wave, but they're pretty rare. I only have one, also hatched. I need to generate more candy for it at some point lol. Congrats!

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

HobbitGamer

@bimmy-lee I wound up opting for copious amounts of cola instead of coffee. Monday I’m going back to my 100+ ounces of water a day to stave off dehydrated skin with this weird weather. I don’t drink nearly enough water lately; showers don’t count. I’m one of the weirdos that adores some bone cold ice water, but soda lured me away over the holidays.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

ThanosReXXX

@Zuljaras Well, no offense, but I'm personally more of an "I speak only for myself" kind of person, so I don't speak for groups. I don't even think I could know how they feel or think, to be honest. Either way, the comparison between the games is rather skewed, since they aren't quite in the same genre, even though they both contain RPG elements, obviously.

And who's to decide whether or not a game is complete? The so-called fans, or the people that actually made it? I'm with the second option. Let's imagine I was the developer of a racing game, but this year's edition has 20 cars less, and also one cup less, but I did add an open world in which you can drive around freely, which wasn't possible in previous editions. Would that also be considered an incomplete game, because it has less (of the base) content than previous games, or would (no: should) people perhaps understand that because my new game is on new hardware AND is trying something completely new to the series, that it might not be completely perfect this first time around?

However, not completely perfect does not equate to not complete, and people have just been jumping to conclusions left and right about how things should have been made and should have worked. And then they make things even worse by labeling the extra content as some kind of scam, because that content "should" have been in the game all along, according to their "expert" opinions, but most of them are armchair critics, who either know nothing of game development or running a company, so none of what they say has any validity.

What I'm basically saying is that none of them, not even the actual fans, who are just disappointed to some degree, and maybe even rightfully so, know exactly what's going on, and are basing everything purely on their own assumptions. I never make assumptions, especially if I don't have all the facts, which in this case would also be pretty much impossible, since none of us has a seat at the table of Game Freak's board of directors.

@Tyranexx Well, I can imagine sacking someone for doing certain things, such as grabbing certain body parts, but grabbing an arm or a leg, or sitting on someone's lap, as long as it would be in costume/in character and as a means to scare the living daylights out of people, doesn't really sound like off-limits to me.

Things (and people) have all become so sensitive nowadays. I've almost become afraid to look at any woman in admiration, let alone give them a compliment, because it might be unwanted or even be considered a hostile action, so next thing you know, I might find myself in a court room defending myself from an harassment case, just for wanting to show someone a bit of genuine appreciation....

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Anti-Matter

Sneak peek about my Calendar 2020 covers....
Untitled
Untitled
But i still haven't finished my calendars 2020. 😣
I was stuck on the first month layout design. Still thinking what should i put on the background.

Anti-Matter

bimmy-lee

@HobbitGamer - I enjoyed my share of ice cold Coca Colas over the holidays as well. I’m also a water nerd, but I’ve never been able to get up to the 100 ozs a day mark consistently. One thing I’ve noticed in not drinking beer this week is that I’ve had a near unquenchable thirst for water day and night, and I feel really dehydrated. I need mine ice cold for sure. My wife drinks hers room temp, and it creeps me out.

@NintendoByNature - Probably could have used some editing. I did start to check out a bit at the 3/4 mark because it’s too long for a WTF type movie. It’s a long time to be stressed out and not know what’s happening. If the story could have been edited to be told in under two hours, it might have been a little more impactful, but I’m no film maker. Overall, I enjoyed it, and it was definitely the most disturbing film I saw last year.

limby-bee was a jerk.

NintendoByNature

@bimmy-lee yea it was an odd one. My wife tuned in and out and as usual asked me "wth are you watching?" In normal fashion, I blamed you for yet another odd movie lol jk.. I thought it was good. Had some odd choices, most notably the barn scene with all the woman elders egging on the pair. And I suppose there were a couple unexplained instances that I can't understand. I'll probabaly be searching the internet for answers today.

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

bimmy-lee

@NintendoByNature - Haha, I’ll take the blame. Just tell her it’s because of some weirdo on the internet. Oh boy, you’ll find more than you bargained for if you start googling Midsommar. Seems the Internet likes to discuss this movie, and people have lots of theories. Some of them horrifying in their own right. There’s lots to discover, even subliminal stuff in the movie.

limby-bee was a jerk.

Anti-Matter

@bimmy-lee
I have finished the cover of Calendars 2020, but i still haven't finished yet the main calendars. Just a little bit more.

Anti-Matter

NotTelevision

@NintendoByNature The film tries to do a lot during its runtime. Its a cult horror movie, a dark comedy, a tragedy of family grief and belonging, and a metaphor about the stages of a dissolving relationship. It wasn’t bound be perfect in doing things at once.

Still I thought it was a hard one to shake like @bimmy-lee said. It’s roots have definitely settled and the imagery has a real staying power.

I just watched one from 2011 called Take Shelter. I’d recommend that one as well if you’re into slow burn, character driven dread machines.

NotTelevision

NintendoByNature

@bimmy-lee @NotTelevision did some reading and the theory i like best is that it's a fairy tale for Dani, Not a horror movie. I also googled "attestupe" and it turns out that's a real thing, although an old tradition. So in the modern worlds eyes, it's horrific, but it appears to be a cultural thing that was done for centuries. And their village is that of an old Swedish one with certain rituals /customs that seem odd to us, but normal to them. Think of it like the Amish, I would say thats a good comparison considering they're in their own time while everyone else is in their own. So basically, Dani got her fairy tale ending with acceptance and family, while everyone else well......didnt.

NintendoByNature

bimmy-lee

@NintendoByNature - I definitely see where the fairy tail comps come from, it’s shot so beautifully. Sorta weird how almost all the scary stuff happens in broad daylight. It’s a fairy tale on the extreme end of the Grimm spectrum with grotesque pagan rituals, vision quests, selective breeding, and body horror. It’s like Altered States crossed with The Village (if The Village was really good) or maybe The Witch.

@NotTelevision - The scarecrows and the meat have been the longest lasting imagery for me. Just terror. I knew I had seen Take Shelter, but had to google to remember because it’s been a while. It’s a really good one from what I remember, and it’s really well acted.

@Anti-Matter - I see that, they look nice. Are you adding more to the black background? I kind of like them as is, it’s a nice, calm background, and your bright characters really pop.

Edited on by bimmy-lee

limby-bee was a jerk.

NotTelevision

@NintendoByNature Ohh your right about that. I didn’t realize that actually happened in the past. Kind of reminded me of those myths about Ubasute (abandoning the elderly on a remote mountain), just a more extreme version.

NotTelevision

NintendoByNature

@bimmy-lee yea for sure. It reminded me of the wicker man quite a bit, or the village like you said.
@NotTelevision yeesh..abandonding elderly huh. I almost feel like that's worse than cliff jumping, almost...

NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

@bimmy-lee my dad tells me if he ever gets to the point of not being able to " clean himself" just to wheel him off a cliff. Sounds morbid, but he's sorta joking. I say sorta because he says it with a laugh, but he means every bit.

NintendoByNature

Zuljaras

I am at it again guys. This time I am sculpting a Skeleton Warrior.

Here are some photos after the first 2 bakes.

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

I bought special metallic rust paints for his gear. To look like real old rusted metal pieces.

Still need to do the hands and the weapon!

HobbitGamer

@bimmy-lee room temperature water disgusts me. I mean, I’ll drink it if I have to. But it just makes me feel like there’s something wrong with it.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic