Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 37,281 to 37,300 of 96,322

ThanosReXXX

@HobbitGamer Now why was I already half-expecting an answer like that coming from you?

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Tyranexx

@ThanosReXXX I honestly had no idea what gravure modeling even was until this controversy surfaced. I admittedly used to think it was needless whining like in many other cases until I 1. looked up what it was and 2. Investigated more of the censorship details.

But yeah, I agree that changing the intent of that chapter THAT drastically would cause a fairly obvious disconnect. I'm also not sure offhand what the Western equivalent to gravure would be other than some famous pop stars that have pulled some risque stunts (Miley Cyrus in Wrecking Ball pops to mind) when they were pretty young might somewhat qualify.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

ThanosReXXX

@HobbitGamer And you DO deliver...

@Tyranexx Well, as mentioned, the mini miss contest probably comes closest in content, or rather: intent, if the intent is idolization. Sadly enough, with that idolization comes all kinds of sordid stuff, hence that specific part of the game, which was meant as a criticism towards it, a way to literally in a playful way make people aware of this and make them consider how and why this is happening. And the good thing about it, is that the source of this thoughtful/creative way of criticism comes from the country itself, meaning that luckily, even people out there have come to realize how wrong it is. (edit: or at the very least, to what kinds of wrong things it can lead)

But having said all that, I've only ever played it once, at a friend's house, and because of that, I put the game on my wanted list. Before that (and even until some time after), I never knew all the details and the exact how and why's of this game, until it came up on NLife, and I saw people like @NEStalgia comment on it, and he definitely made me investigate further, because he was one of the few who was able to give a decent and elaborate explanation of it all.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Anti-Matter

@Tyranexx
I felt bad to see Miley Cyrus from good girl on Disney (Hannah Montana) to become naughty girl by Wrecking Ball.

Anti-Matter

ThanosReXXX

I simply LOVED it. Miley is a big girl now. No more need for barbie dolls and pink skirts.
Although...

ThanosReXXX

@NintendoByNature About Miley or about the apple sauce? Or about Miley covered in apple sauce?

Tyranexx

@ThanosReXXX Yep, in terms of intent, that's probably a slightly better parallel than teen idols. @NEStalgia is also to thank in part for my investigations into the matter.

@Anti-Matter Honestly, I wasn't even into Hannah Montana. My sister absolutely loved the show. Between that and the Wii game, I had more than my fill of Miley in that role. Even my sister admitted that the dance scenarios in that game weren't fun as they wouldn't register the Wii remote movements correctly half the time. She mainly played it for the shopping.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

NintendoByNature

@ThanosReXXX lol oops I forgot to respond. I was sitting pretzel style( or criss cross apple sauce as the kids say). My comment was 100% about Miley 😉

NintendoByNature

HobbitGamer

Criss Cross’ll make ya jump, jump!
Bad Cryus make ya .... the end

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

ThanosReXXX

@HobbitGamer Cryus?

@NintendoByNature Well, to be honest, she's not even entirely my type, if there's even such a thing, but I wouldn't let her stand on the porch either, if she'd come a knockin'...

And thanks for clarifying the apple sauce thing. I was still confused by that one, and my head is already half unscrewed due to Holiday preparations/jitters. And yes, even old people like me still get like that, come Crimbo...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

NintendoByNature

@ThanosReXXX well, she's not the type id bring home to the family, but I dont think that's what we were talking about here, was it 😉.
Yea I was basically sitting on the floor next to my bed so in case the kids popped in,or unlocked the door, I'd be hidden between the wall and the bed.

Most of the gifts I was wrapping were for them, so I couldn't go downstairs with ample room.

No worries about the confusion, think everyone is a little "off" this week with the holidays approaching. I for one have had such a crazy couple of months at work that my brain is pretty much mush at this point. Think I need a drink....checks fridge oh well... I'm out of beer

NintendoByNature

bimmy-lee

@HobbitGamer - You’re so wiggity whack, yo!

@ThanosReXXX - What has you jittery, the checklist of things to do leading up to Christmas?

@NintendoByNature - What, out of beer during Christmas season? You better plan on an AM beer run tomorrow just to be safe, or you could find yourself at your in laws without alcohol, and we can’t have that.

Edited on by bimmy-lee

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

NintendoByNature

@bimmy-lee I must admit....its True. In a sudden panic of desperation I check the garage for reserves phew...2 beers, but that won't hold me over thru Wednesday. Beer run tomorrow, bim..

NintendoByNature

ThanosReXXX

@NintendoByNature Ah, so you were torturing your body by positioning yourself in the classic clothes maker pose, huh?

And yeah, agreed on the rest. Although honestly, my family wouldn't care either way: they just want me to be happy...

@bimmy-lee My brain is, and my nerves are about to be. Lots of last minute stuff going on, and I also have to see to my dad. He still has all his ducks in a row, but he IS a diabetic and Parkinson's patient nonetheless, so the holidays are always a tricky one, seeing as I won't exactly be sober all the time either, so between my sister and his, we kinda take turns in keeping an eye on him.

And then there has been a lot of other stuff going on since long before that, which already had me on edge, as we discussed a while back, and even resulted in me being completely fazed by a mere movie. In hindsight now, perhaps not even so much about the movie and its content itself, although it IS typical, how you almost get a far clearer view/more insight in things sometimes, exactly during such times of mental/emotional/psychological vulnerability.

So, yeah, jitters alright, and probably not entirely healthy ones, but I think/hope I've weathered most if not all of it by now, so 2020 should be a decidedly better year for me... (fingers crossed)

NintendoByNature

@ThanosReXXX yea it was tough. I did it though! Sounds like you got a good family, not that I don't, but the old timers in my family would definitely say something to me if i came home with a "Miley" type gal

NintendoByNature

ThanosReXXX

@NintendoByNature Well, needless to say, she would have to get rid of that weird "I stick my tongue out 100 times a day" habit, but other than that...

EDIT:
And the woman can sing. We like entertainers in our family. Got a couple of them ourselves. Not all singers, mind you...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

bimmy-lee

@NintendoByNature - Good ole garage beers, coming through huge. It’ll be so jolly at the beer store tomorrow! I almost wish I needed to go. It’ll basically be a party at my local place tomorrow, I’ve been in there before on Christmas Eve day and it’s fun.

@ThanosReXXX - I get a bit of family anxiety, but it always turns out fun. I don’t have a big, extended family party until Saturday, just smaller, immediate family parties the next few days. It does seem like you’ve had a bit of a life change here recently, which can certainly be tough if it needs to become a topic of conversation. Especially if you haven’t fully sorted it all out yourself. When I’m at these events, I just try to keep in mind that it could be the last time we’re all there together as that exact group of people. There will probably be 70 people at the extended family party on Saturday. I don’t like them all, but I do enjoy being reminded exactly why I don’t like them once a year.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee Haha, yeah, I know that feeling, although I personally don't bear any ill will or grudges against any of my further removed or hardly ever present family. Over here, we only see them at weddings and funerals, where some polite although superficial chatting is done, to get a bit of an update on each other's lives, and then when the party or ceremony is done, we each go our separate ways, until the next happy or sad event. So, it's always all polite and smiles, but that part of the family has grown so distant, now that we've all grown older ourselves, that there's only the thinnest threads of connections left, if any, so there's no real incentive to try and fortify/repair those connections, and that's apparently also how they feel, otherwise they could just call, mail or write, because they know my number and my address, so...

As for the holidays: the first Christmas day is just me and the old man, and on the second, we go to my sister's place, where there'll be two aunts and uncles, and my brother in law's family, so probably 20 something people only. Family we actually engage with on a more regular basis, such as birthdays and visits a couple of times a year outside of the previously mentioned events.

But yeah, life change sounds about right, although not on the earlier mentioned level. As mentioned several times before, I've always been a highly sensitive person, in the empathy department, which might sound rather odd, if you don't know me and read some of my comments, but apparently, I've been able to comfortably mix being empathic with a blunt directness which might come across as harsh sometimes, if you don't know the intent.

Hence my occasional use of smileys, as if to soften the blow/mitigate the effect and let people know that I'm not as evil as my choice of avatar might make people suspect...

I've still not found the right time (and formula) to compose that PM yet, but rest assured that I will get to it before long. Some stuff is just not meant for public comments, and I'm a talkative one, sometimes too much for my own good, more so when the spirit is in the man, and I don't mean the holy one...
Probably also the reason of the occasional text wall here and there. That actually immediately makes me wonder how much of a chatterbox @NEStalgia is, in real life.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic