Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 37,021 to 37,040 of 37,892

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Haha, yeah, or actually: belay that laugh, I should have actually cried, because it's rather sad and infinitely stupid, but yay humans working for governmental agencies, I guess...

As for Babylon 5: I didn't mean to imply that it was a filler series per se, but over here, it DID start as such, filling the exact time slot that Star Trek normally occupied, so filler in that sense, not as in "disposable series that only runs for one or two seasons anyway".

Oh, and sorry to ruin the joke, but the "rhymes with green" thing is completely flying over my head, by the way.

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

ThanosReXXX

@Anti-Matter "Speaking about satellites and planets"

Huh? Literally NO ONE was talking about either of these two things. Man, it really baffles me how your mind works, sometimes...

@NEStalgia For my own peace of mind, I think I'm just going to see that comment of his as a n00b's translation of sci-fi: yeah, must be those movies and series about space, planets and satellites and all that stuff...

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Only in government can you be the guy that loses the blueprint to the most powerful engine/weapon ever designed, and the only known tool to accomplish specific tasks, and still have a job. Probably a promotion. And pension. And only in government can it take another 40+ years and counting to design something comparable to the thing you already had 50 years ago. Imagine being the guy at Amazon that loses the password hash for the backups? And telling them it'll take you at LEAST 45 more years (and a half dozen well connected contractors) to build another one?

The joke was just Kermit's "it's not easy being green" except "it's not easy being a sci-fi fan" but without any word I can think of that rhymes with it. Speaking of Farscape and Muppets and such.

NEStalgia

Eel

I got a new usb-c cable and, gosh, I can't believe how much of a difference the cable can make!

Everything went from unstable slow charging to working like new again.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

My dead channel.

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

ThanosReXXX

@StableInvadeel We've all been there.

@NEStalgia But it is suspiciously weird how these things always happen with either the most crucial or important things. No one ever loses the plans for the Space Shuttle's sleeping bag hinges...

All kidding aside, though: back in the early 00's over here, the Dutch military supposedly "lost" a not yet developed roll of film about crimes against humanity in Eastern Europe, or somewhere thereabouts. That film would have been crucial evidence in the international trials, but because some idiot lost it/made it disappear, hundreds of pages of additional paperwork were needed to still make certain cases/accusations stick. And I can name a couple more examples, both local and international.

All or most of them just WAY too convenient, or stupid to actually just be an accident. Or maybe I just like conspiracy theories...

As for the joke: ah... good old Kermit. And I actually know that song, but I already forgot you mentioning Muppets. I was already way too deep into the sci-fi memories...

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX I think the greatest conspiracy is that everyone is convinced there are no such things as conspiracies and theories about them are inherently crazy. Meanwhile there are volumes of laws that are tried in court regularly specifically relating to conspiracy....

The idea that one human or group of humans aren't motivated to lie or deceive in concert with each other based on personal gains, idealistic gains, or under threat and that believing they are is "tin foil hat" territory has got to be the most intense conspiracy of deception ever!

There were no such thing as KGB spies. There were never KGB spies. In fact the USSR didn't even exist. Someone just thought Saturn V plans were their sandwich wrapper and threw them out. Honest! Pfft, you people and your conspiracy theories, always overlooking the obvious answers exactly as your leaders tell you they exist....

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia So... so... aliens DO exist in Area 51?

But yeah, that's pretty much the gist of it. I'd dare to wager a bet that both governments and most major religious institutions would prefer us to still be illiterate, like in the Middle Ages, so that they're the only ones that can tell us what the books actually say...

EDIT:
But of course, nowadays there are also many new and "glorious" ways of indoctrinating people. Just look at Russian, Chinese and Korean correctional institutes. I've recently seen a news item on a Chinese one, about an Islamic subculture called the Uyghurs, who are not only discriminated, but are also re-educated in special camps, to become "good citizens", and adopt a more accepted, Chinese way of living, instead of their own, which is considered to be inferior and/or close to unpatriotic.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Eel

This is your website agent here reminding you to not get too deep into these topics <3

Bloop.

My dead channel.

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

ThanosReXXX

@StableInvadeel Ooh, and I just added an edit. My bad. I'll stop there. It's just that it is sometimes very interesting to talk about, and this is the Chit-Chat thread after all, so the daily stuff does sometimes come to the surface, even if it isn't a nice topic.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

BruceCM

ThanosReXXX wrote:

@I'd dare to wager a bet that both governments and most major religious institutions would prefer us to still be illiterate, like in the Middle Ages, so that they're the only ones that can tell us what the books actually say...

What books? & you surely don't automatically believe everything any author writes....?
For the religious side, it is now easy to get hold of any books they're referring to & check that, at least, those do say whatever is being claimed
But for governments, I'm not sure there's really anything similar?

SW-4357-9287-0699
Gamertag: BruceCM

HobbitGamer

B5 is great, Dark Angel and Sarah Conner Chronicles ended too quickly, and Fallout 76 is still a joke.

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

ThanosReXXX

@BruceCM Normally, I'd tell someone that didn't get that reference, to save himself the trouble of commenting on it, or to take a hike, if I had a bad day, but you're a nice guy, so I'll clarify:

It was simply a reference to those times, hence the specific mention of the Middle Ages, when both the government and the church told people what to know and believe. The government from the books of law and/or history, and the church obviously from the Bible.

And of course I don't believe that, but that is also never what I implied, so that one's on you, for completely screwing up what I said there. Bad, very bad interpretation of my words...

bimmy-lee

So, who else likes pizza? I love that stuff. Hamburgers too. So good.

@ThanosReXXX - The first time I remember noticing the Hollywood goon phenomenon was in an old after school cartoon called GI Joe. Every single episode featured dozens upon dozens of generic foot soldiers firing hundred of shots from their laser rifles at a small group of Merican heroes who could somehow duck, dodge, and roll their way through the battlefield and overcome the evil horde by punching them all right in their stupid faces. It probably helped lead me to a complex I suffered from for many years where I thought I could overcome any person, problem, or situation with simple violence.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

NotTelevision

@Grumblevolcano That is crazy. Who is actually going to pay them more money to play that “game”.

It also looks like the comparably small development team at Obsidian outdid Bethesda again with The Outer Worlds. The reviews have been pretty positive.

Even less of a reason to play Fallout ‘76 now.

NotTelevision

Ninfan

@Anti-Matter them numbers after each of your fav games is that how much you completed ( careful tere very big word ) them ?😁😁😁😁😁

some of my Favourite games
Rick dangerous ( zx spectrum )
Battletoads ( game boy )
Tomb raider ( play station )
Speed freaks ( play station )
Wario ware ( game boy advance )
Advance wars ( gameboy advance )
Eternal darkness ( gamecube )

3DS Friend Code: 5430-2977-8452 | My Nintendo: Nin10dofan | Nintendo Network ID: 462971 name nin10dofan

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Of course the governments would prefer everyone to remain illiterate. That's how half of the last millennium functioned, and it suited them fine. Religions, I don't know. They have an awful lot of text they actually do want people to read (and shove it in your face, physically, to read.) I think they're fine with reading....they'd just like to inform you how to interpret what you read, much like government schools.

As for China, that's nothing new. For thousands of years, there has/had been a pretty slow purge of all non-Han ethnics. That's the shaping of the entire modern Chinese "ethnicity." It's a HUGE area of land. There were once quite a few subtly different ethnicities making it up. Most were eliminated over a long period of time, and the Han for the most part are all that remains. That started long, long before even the modern Maoist & CCP governments came into being. And it's not much of a secret, it's an open declaration.

@NotTelevision I'm assuming the same people that apparently have still not bought GTAV and will be buying it over the next year?

I don't know what Bethesda does. It's clear their A team was not working on FO76 but was fielded out to a B team while the main team works on Starfield or whatever it is, and TES6. But the biggest problem with FO76, I mean other than that it arrived broken, and devoid of content, and with a horrible gameplay premise, and a terrible world design, and abysmal performance, and bad controls....is who is it for? Who's the market? Who ever said they wanted an always online group oriented non-MMO Fallout RPG without NPCs, quests, or a story? I mean who EVER said that? Ever?

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

BruceCM

Well, yeah, @NEStalgia .... Sort of, at least, since the explanation of how to interpret is usually missing Then, whatever has been taught about that part conveniently doesn't apply when it doesn't suit them But nobody these days has the excuse of not having access to the relevant literature or anything, at least

SW-4357-9287-0699
Gamertag: BruceCM

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee Yeah, I know that feeling. I kinda compare it to how you feel, the adrenaline rush when you've seen an action movie, and come out of the theater all pumped up and ready to go, except that's only a temporary rush, and if you're completely in these action series culture (like how many kids and teens are), it gets stuck in your head.

Like rounding up a couple of friends and imagining that you're the local A-Team, or something similar that I've never actually done in real life. No, honestly...

And of course, Hollywood in general is famous for creating "realities" that are showing us how things should NOT be, although in all fairness, that's slowly been improving over the last couple of years.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic