Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 36,981 to 37,000 of 96,526

HobbitGamer

The movie definitely does look good. It looks to be up there with Argo, in terms of delivering a story with an entertaining light.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

bimmy-lee

@NEStalgia - The first time I saw the movie preview, I realized Richard Jewel is the only name I associate with the bombing and had to look it up to remember who actually did it. It took so long to capture the crapbag that did it, that Jewel/Centennial Park had long since made a permanent wrinkle in my brain.

It’s kind of amazing how many of the modern whackos actually do have manifestos and forum rants floating around the anonymous space of the internet. The ole Harvard professor had to go to great lengths to get his manifesto published, but now you can just bang one out, press “post”, and it will be viewable by an unknown number of like minded individuals.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

Tyranexx

Innocent until proven guilty in my humble opinion. It's a shame a lot of people forget that online and in the news.

Sumweristan...Yep, stealing that one @NEStalgia. 😝

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

NEStalgia

@bimmy-lee Yep. Same for pretty much everyone! The power of media trial! Meanwhile the real guy bombed two or three other places in that year while the media was busy pointing fingers at Jewel and nobody was looking for the real guy. Why look for criminals when the story is way more interesting than "another bland serial bomber with political motives."

NEStalgia

Tyranexx

Funnily enough I hadn't heard much about that incident as I was VERY young when that happened. Now I want to see that movie as takes on such events are interesting to me.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

bimmy-lee

@NEStalgia - There are probably a surprising amount of people who still think Jewel did it. I’m also stealing Sumweristan.

@Tyranexx - Yeah, you might be a tad young for it to have been a significant moment in your life. I think the fact that it happened at an Olympic park, the crazy Richard Jewel saga, and the fact that those types of terror events were slightly less common back then are really why it sticks out as a major even for some people a bit older.

limby-bee was a jerk.

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia LEDs lasting only a YEAR? Man, we REALLY got a make a list of all the things that are of lesser quality in your neck of the woods, because by now so many things have been mentioned, that it's hard to keep track...

Over here, LEDs easily last multiple years. LED lamps are even commonly known as maintenance-poor (literally translated, but in proper English, it'll probably be maintenance-light) armatures, meaning that once installed, they take very little care for years to come.

As for Clint, I obviously only meant his acting performances, so newer movies vs the old. Newer ones like Gran Torino are still good, but they can't stand in the shadow of his Westerns or Dirty Harry movies, in my humble opinion.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

bimmy-lee

@ThanosReXXX - I don’t know about tube style bulbs, but I had a serious problem in my place with the original wall sconces and overhead fixtures blowing standard bulbs at an alarming rate. Two in particular in the kitchen could be as often as bi weekly. I switched everything over to led bulbs several years ago, and I haven’t replaced one since. It’s also nice to have the same type of light, consistently throughout the house, as I put them in all my lamps as well.

limby-bee was a jerk.

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee Well, there you go. Perhaps you should share the type and brand you use with @NEStalgia, so he can get his hands some longer lasting ones as well...

Then again: might be that all those people in their fancy houses encroaching upon him have already scalped away all the good stuff...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

bimmy-lee

@ThanosReXXX - Haha, Feit Electric. Not even sure if they’re well rated, but I could buy big boxes of them at Costco. With the way they’ve lasted, I now know I have a lifetime supply, plus enough to hand down to my kids should they be interested in my lamps. These are standard, screw in bulbs though. I thought I read NES has tube lighting, which could be a bit more finicky.

limby-bee was a jerk.

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee You're supposed to let NES know, not me...
Over here, we generally use Philips. The brand you mentioned is one I've never heard of before or seen over here.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia

@Tyranexx yeah, at the time it was a pretty big deal. Not only because of the rarity of such things, and the media circus in the post OJ world (you're definitely too young for that one, but the OJ trial was the one that invented the 24h media frenzy concept.). But Atlanta.... It was the first attack at an Olympics since Srajevo and Nazi Berlin. And it happened on US soil... And then the media runs with the hero that discovered the bomb and saved lives was in fact the bomber narrative.

@bimmy-lee if we all use Sumweristan, it's only a matter of time before it goes viral, the media will latch on, Brian Williams will report live from a bunker in an unidentified City in war torn rebel held parts of Sumweristan, then we'll have widely reported attacks coming from they're and then we'll have to bomb it.....

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Why are you all talking like @Tyranexx is only 19?

And Sumweristan, huh? I'll see that, and I'll raise you with my own favorite: La Balconia. It's the cheapest holiday resort for people on a REALLY tight budget, and it's right outside your house...

My particular La Balconia location is looking out over the Amsterdam canals...

HobbitGamer

@ThanosReXXX Sumweristan is where you don’t want to be, as opposed to La Balconia.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

ThanosReXXX

@HobbitGamer Well, I beg to differ. Nobody wants to be that poor or tight on budget that they'd have to spend their holiday on their own balcony...

Sumweristan could basically also be a location that Scrooge McDuck would take his nephews to...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Tyranexx

@bimmy-lee Yep, the more I read about it, I get more of an impression that it was a big deal. I turned five later that year, so it's safe to say that I probably wasn't very interested in anything that wasn't on PBS. XD

I suppose this is a similar concept with my not remembering this to those who are now legally adults who don't recall 9/11. Now THAT I remember; it was the first significant event of that sort that I recall being aware of.

@NEStalgia To keep this short: I agree that the media turns too many things into a circus just for views. They should just stick to the facts and stop all the postulating and conjecture.

Not sure if you're into this type of music, but I think the song and music video of Rammstein's Ich Will would be worth showing to the news media every once in awhile....

@ThanosReXXX Sumweristan sounds nice, but I do prefer Indoorsia for shorter work holidays, along with a short visit to Trailwoodsio.

ThanosReXXX

@Tyranexx Well, at least that last one sounds like it's actually somewhat close to a real vacation. Another low budget choice that we've got over here and which I forgot to mention, is Playa Here-oh. If you travel to Spain a lot, it sounds funnier and more familiar. And I literally translated it from Dutch, which doesn't always work that well, especially if it's Dutch slang...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

bimmy-lee

@NEStalgia - Haha, they have it coming if you ask me. Bout time we served Sumweristan a slice of freedom pie.

@ThanosReXXX - La Balconia sounds great for a long weekend, but mi balcon is so rotten, the hand rails should not be used for any kind of support, and they definitely will not keep anyone from falling over the edge. They’re for decoration only at this point. The deck is still in fine shape, so it’s usable as long as you don’t slip or stumble towards the edge.

limby-bee was a jerk.

Tyranexx

I did find out that an acquaintance is in Belize with their family for a couple of weeks. I'm not jealous that it's somewhere warm at all.... 😛 They're having a good time if the pics are anything to go by, and IMO he does deserve it.

@ThanosReXXX Usually that's how a lot of my personal days off work go; I stick around home and catch up both chore and hobby-wise, but I do try to step out into nature for a little while if the weather allows it.

I do need to take a day trip to the southern confines of my state at some point. At the very least to drop by the Superman museum in Metropolis.

bimmy-lee

@Tyranexx - I thought from prior conversations you were in the four to six range in 96 and probably only remember hearing about it as something that happened. I was in high school, and I’ve always liked the Olympic Games; so it stuck with me. There are a bunch of episodes of Reading Rainbow that show the towers in the skyline. Whenever my kids are watching one, it always makes me think about what an insane conversation that will be someday.

limby-bee was a jerk.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic