Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 36,721 to 36,740 of 96,508

ThanosReXXX

@HobbitGamer Wait, there's SEASONS of Van Helsing? Man, I must have been living under a rock in that regard, because I only know of the ever so mildly entertaining movies...

@NintendoByNature Well, obviously, with today's services, you don't really have to wait for a week anymore, to see the next episode of a series...
There's streaming and/or on-demand, and for the more cheeky among us, there's the alternative of downloading, so there's more than enough options. I recently downloaded the first season of Altered Carbon, a sci-fi series that has been on my radar ever since it was first announced, so I can watch that whenever I want, and however I want: in one go, or one episode at a time.

Agreed on the Walking Dead, though. By season 5, they should have already eradicated all of the zombies, but somehow, they always come up with a reason to let the heroes fail, or let the population of the zombies, AND the twisted plots of the bad guys, take over and force all of the players back to the drawing board once again.

I personally find that there's a sweet spot for series, although it's not the same for every type. And maybe I'm a bit biased, but all in all, action or suspense series can go on for about 3, 4 maybe 5 seasons if they're REALLY good, otherwise it's just rehashing/rearranging story lines that are eerily similar to what has already come before.
The only exception far as I'm concerned, and this is where the personal bias comes in, is sci-fi series. I'm always sad when these end, often left wanting for more. Star Trek always solved that particular issue of mine, by simply coming up with a new series replacing the one that had ended, but ultimately, nothing can go on forever, unless it's a soap series...

And series-wise, I find that any other types of shows, such as the Walking Dead, should rather have been a mini series, or simply completed in two or three seasons tops. But obviously, fans will disagree, and that's fine by me. Everyone should watch, play and do what they like. It's their life after all, and their freedom to choose whatever they want to do.

P.S.

Seeing as you've already previously tried DC super hero series, have you ever watched anything from Marvel?
I personally really like The Gifted, which is a series closely tied to the X-Men universe, but more gritty, and other than that, I also watch Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., which in all honesty does have its weak moments here and there, but all in all, it still entertains me, after three seasons.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

MarioVillager92

@Sunsy It's all good! Pretty soon I'm gonna be decorating for Christmastime, too.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

TheFrenchiestFry

I hit 100 followers on twitter this past week and honestly I've never been more satisfied with an accomplishment, academic or otherwise in my entire life

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

NintendoByNature

@ThanosReXXX oh for sure. We have Hulu Netflix and prime. I do like marvel as a brand more than dc. Daredevil was far and wide one of the best super hero shows imo. It's just hard for me these days to sit and watch a series. Not that I don't like them, I just cant find time for the most part. But the last show I watched and sat down in a matter of two days for was stranger things. I'll binge that any day of the week.

NintendoByNature

HobbitGamer

@ThanosReXXX Yeah, it’s a SyFy channel series. Seasons 1-3 are on Netflix, with 4 on the channel or SyFy app. I like it, the characters are well-done.
Also, Z Nation > Walking Dead. Hands down. But the Black Summer miniseries is poop. The producers didn’t even seem to understand that the ‘black summer’ was an event in Z Nation and is therefore a prequel. It’s even the same production company, so I’m not sure how that happened.

I think I heard that Altered Carbon got picked up for a new season? That’d be great. Another show I think should have been renewed is Dark Matter. Oh, and Freakish. And Jericho. I always seem to enjoy the ones that get cancelled.

Edited on by HobbitGamer

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

bimmy-lee

@NintendoByNature @HobbitGamer - That eShop sale is pretty great. I initially freaked out and put about $150 worth of sale games on my wishlist to sort out, but I eventually gathered some restraint. I’ve only grabbed Heave Ho and Mark of the Ninja so far. Everything is going on my backlog right now anyway, and I’ve gotten a few games on sale the last couple weeks.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

Anti-Matter

It's already 1 December 2019 here.
Still i have 28 days to go to finish my Calendar 2020 projects. 😵
Oh, gosh.... Home Alone rush syndrome again.

Anti-Matter

NintendoByNature

@bimmy-lee you ain't kidding. Might even go back for more. Turok 2 just went on sale too, Might grab it. Wondering about Bastion as well. I always see it on sale but never pull the trigger

NintendoByNature

Anti-Matter

Btw, i want to ask your opinion.
Lately, i have reconsidered PS3 games to be revived according to my plan after i completely done with PS3 since year 2015.
I tried to be Neutral with PS3 after i have fond with my PS4 games, so i tried to accept PS3 Move games after i have thrown away my fanboyism toward PS3 Move since it was like Wiimote copycat.
I have rewrote some PS3 games to be considered on next year 2020 and here is my list :
1. The Sims 3 Pets
2. Final Fantasy XIII
3. F-1 Race Stars
4. London 2012
5. Little League World Series 2010 Baseball
6. Racket Sports (Move)
7. Sport Champion 2 (Move)
8. Move Fitness (Move)
9. Summer Challenge Athletics Tournament
10. ???
Optional
11. ???
12. ???

I still wonder which games will be fit with my personality for the ??? spots. I still doubt to reconsider Dance Dance Revolution 2010 PS3 since it was the worst DDR ever made by Konami. I still discomfort with Ratchet Trilogy PS3 with very high intensity of using guns and Cartoon Violence but for some odd reasons i can accept the Violence level on FF XIII despite they are different games. I need some good recommendation based on my personality because i'm very strict with my choices.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

HobbitGamer

@NintendoByNature Bastion is worth anything $5 or under. Great game, maybe even $10.

So, fun times. I’ve been deep cleaning for about two hours now, and washing laundry. I hear this loud gurgling noise. Glance in the kitchen sink, nothing happened, go about my cleaning. Finish a room and walk down the hall to move the vacuum, and there’s a good layer of water over the floors, coming from the bathroom. Toilet bowl is full of water (CLEAN), but the tank is almost empty. Shut the valve, get 12 towels, soak up everything. By the time that’s done, the water in the bowl has receded to normal level, so I open the valve again; everything is normal with two test flushes.

Best I can figure is I overloaded the stupid HE clothes washer, and when I began to dump water a burp in the line happened. Had plates and a cutting board in the kitchen sink, so yeah.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

NintendoByNature

@HobbitGamer yea I grabbed it. Only 4 bucks so we'll see. It's probably last on my recent purchases list tho in terms of when I'll get to it.

NintendoByNature

ThanosReXXX

@NintendoByNature Yeah, much like with gaming, I've also got the time planning/reservation issue, so it's often one or the other, whereas back when I was a lot younger and more carefree, it would simply be both. When you're getting older time seems to both go a lot faster, and seems to be far less available/applicable for all the things that we (still) like to do in it. Oh, well. Guess I'll simply have to accept the fact that I'll never get rid of any of my backlogs, whether that's games, movies or series...

@HobbitGamer Yup, second season officially confirmed. It's even mentioned on the series' web page, that I linked to in my previous comment.

Too bad that Van Helsing is on SyFy, because we lost that channel over here, ever since two years ago, so that's going to be another one for the download bucket, I guess.

Dark Matter did have two seasons, didn't it? But yeah, I have the same problem. I'm afraid it is due to the larger stakes over in the US, for broadcasting networks, and the larger numbers they need. In my opinion, the US crowd is also VERY fickle, no offense, so maybe even without they themselves knowing, they're dooming a lot of series, because they often only end up keeping a limited, dedicated crowd, and in a country the size of the States, you'd need 4 to 5 million at the VERY least, if not more, to keep a show on the air. In comparison, in the average European country, somewhere around or slightly above a million is already more than enough for a series to be considered a success and worthy of renewal.

Crime series always seem to be doing well, as evident by all the various NCIS series and such continuously returning and getting good ratings, but fantastic or great new shows like Colony, The Passage, The Gifted, The Tomorrow People, Wynonna Earp, Minority Report, FFWD, Almost Human and so on, have either all been canceled after the first season, or never came further than a second or third.

One sci-fi series that I always recommend to people, is Continuum. It almost got canceled after the second season, but got a somewhat rewritten/altered final season instead to at least complete/end the story line that the series started with, so the fans wouldn't be left hanging, which was nice, for a change. If you're into time travel, future tech, conspiracy theories and super soldiers, then it's definitely one to watch.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

HobbitGamer

@ThanosReXXX DANGIT IM WATCHING THE COLONY NOW!! 😛
I agree about the audience. All those shows you listed were enjoyed by myself, especially Almost Human, but if it’s not some laugh track comedy over three commercial breaks or a Dick Wolf-esque NCISCSISVU911 alphabet show, I don’t think the mass audience has an attention span to make it profitable.
Dark Matter pretty much ended on a Mass Effect 2 type cliffhanger.

I’ve got Continuum in my list already, just haven’t started yet. Most of my show time is while I’m in the office multitasking on something that’s very easy but time consuming. Keeps me from falling asleep while making spreadsheets... and TPS reports

Edited on by HobbitGamer

#MudStrongs

ThanosReXXX

@HobbitGamer Oops! My bad...

As for Continuum: a tiny correction is in order: it actually ran for 3 seasons unabridged, and then because of failing ratings, they added an abbreviated 4th season, only consisting of 6 episodes, but as mentioned previously, it did at least completely wrap up the original story line.

Be sure to let me know your thoughts on the series, once you've found the time to give it a watch.

EDIT:
As for the ratings, as mentioned in my previous comment, it's just about audience size and network ratings/income. In Europe, any and all of these series would have survived multiple seasons. Over here, getting 4 million viewers is like TV producer heaven...

On a side note: since we're so in agreement on great series that ended too soon, I suddenly remembered another one, called "The Event". I think you might know that one as well, then.

Oh, and another sci-fi show that did run its full length and that I also really liked, was Extant. If you don't know it yet, you might want to look that up as well.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Sunsy

So, I got to see Frozen 2 today. I actually liked it more than the first, and I loved the first.

@MarioLover92 Already started that. Had the outside lights set up before Thanksgiving to beat the colder weather, they got turned on the other day. Decorated the tree a bit this afternoon, even added some Nintendo to it with a Mario and a Peach ornament.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

ThanosReXXX

@HobbitGamer Dang, all this talk about cancelled sci-fi shows that I liked and watched, is really starting to jog my memory. I wonder if you know or have seen these:

• Prey
  • Threshold
  • Surface
  • Space: Above & Beyond
  • Seven Days
  • Earth 2
  • Earth: Final Conflict

MarioVillager92

@Sunsy That's cool. I have a lot of Mario-themed ornaments, including one that has Princess Peach ice-skating with Toad! I have a Mario Kart ornament and a Super Star tree topper, as well. We'll be getting the tree ready tomorrow.

I've been wanting to see Frozen II, I also enjoyed the first one! While we're on the subject of ornaments and Frozen, we have an Anna ornament too.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

Anti-Matter

Can someone help me to find some recommended PS3 games ?
I have posted my list above (# 37,228).

Anti-Matter

NintendoByNature

@Sunsy I just took my daughter to see it. I enjoyed it more as well, but I liked the music in the first one more id say.

NintendoByNature

Monkeido

@Anti-Matter I don't know what you already own, but here's some:

• Little Big Planet 1/2 (platformer)
  • Journey (exploration)
  • Portal 2 (puzzle)
  • Katamari Forever (relaxing)
  • De Blob 1/2 (sort of platforming and colouring)

Monkeido

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic