Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 36,581 to 36,600 of 96,307

Anti-Matter

@Eel
I honestly forgot the songs from Frozen 2.
It still didn't play in my head after watching the movie.
Probably the melody choices were not memorable to listen.
If the song was catchy enough, it will be played in my head.

Anti-Matter

ThanosReXXX

@HobbitGamer Yeah, it actually did look like something out of RoboCop. Aesthetics-wise as well.
Can't believe they didn't test this BEFORE getting on stage and allowing a member of the public to smash in the windows. Or if they did test it, I wonder with what, or maybe I'd have to question the arm strength of the pre-stage moment tester in question...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

HobbitGamer

I decided to use some of my hundreds of PTO hours on tomorrow and Wednesday. In two hours I won’t be back in my office till next Monday. Seems weird, but I’ll give it a shot.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

ThanosReXXX

@HobbitGamer PTO? Personal Time Off?
Either way, what's the occasion? At least you'll have enough time to spend some of it on gaming, possibly getting rid of a bit of backlog, right? Unless of course, you're going to buy some more. The Touryst is certainly looking like a must-have, and there's plenty of other stuff coming soon...

Ah... always so relaxing to hang around here. Over the last couple of days, I've been kinda side-tracked because
I got dragged back into this more than a month old article comments section, by a rather short-sighted fellow countryman, who insists on calling out both NLife staff and commenters about the "fact" of how wrong it is to call the European version of football, well... football, insisting on American Football being the only true version of Football. Man, I'm so glad I'm not as ignorant as that...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

HobbitGamer

@ThanosReXXX Yup! I was already scheduled off Thur/Fri for Thanksgiving here, but it's so slow at work that I figured I'd use some time before my coworker is out all of December for surgery. I'm going to try and finish Luigi, get the XB1 streaming working on my laptop, and play some more 76. I think. I still need to fight Calamity Ganon...

I see that ridiculousness, yes. I've always just called it Gridiron or NFL.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

NEStalgia

@HobbitGamer Every time I hear about your work, I grow ever more positive you definitely work for Initech.

NEStalgia

HobbitGamer

@NEStalgia Now, now. We shouldn't.....jump to conclusions

#MudStrongs

ThanosReXXX

@HobbitGamer Shouldn't you actually raise your text when you say jump?
Now it looks as if you said that he dove to conclusions...

As for the football thing: I've no problems calling American Football exactly that, but when people are going to insist that "our" Football should rightfully (and exclusively) be called "soccer", and label each and everyone who doesn't as wrong, regardless of the fact that 75% of the world actually does call it Football, then that's where I draw the line. That's just the typical short-sightedness and stupid, isolated, we ARE the world views (possibly from anti-EU Americans) that caused the very prejudices and assumptions that I had to fight against for probably the first 10 to 20 years that I lived here, as soon as people knew or found out where I originally came from.

I think you can probably imagine how some of those discussions went: "so, you're actually American, huh? Well, then you must surely think/feel/like/want... " etcetera, etcetera...

EDIT:

You're ACTUALLY playing Fallout 76? Didn't @NEStalgia's warnings already made you consider to never even think about touching that?

bimmy-lee

@HobbitGamer - Enjoy the time off man, well earned I’m sure. I’ve enjoyed every minute with LM3. Never realized I was a compulsive vacuumer.

@ThanosReXXX - Oof, that’s a brutal, month old conversation you’re locked into there. I remember being young and shocked to find out that “soccer” was actually called football by the rest of the world and had been called by that name, possibly, for centuries prior to American football. I’m careful to respect the proper title here, but in daily conversation; it’s football and soccer for me.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

Sunsy

HobbitGamer wrote:

@Sunsy I hear ya. I guess that’s why a lot of brick & mortar are offering the same sales on their online storefronts. I’ve worked 4 of them, two GameStop and two Blockbuster. I don’t miss my retail career during this season.

Indeed, I use to like Black Friday on my Wii U and 3DS because of it. Got a few digital only games a few years back because of it. Mighty Switch Force and FAST Racing NEO.

Nowadays, my mother works at a supermarket, so Black Friday is now quiet for her. The days leading up to Thanksgiving is another story.

Sorry for the late response, was rather busy between today and yesterday.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

Sunsy

@NintendoByNature Cool. I think it's the best way to get a good deal, albeit digitally. No stock runs out, and no need for the crowds. Last year I got Cars 3 on Switch for cheap. I already owned it physically on Wii U, but it's nice to have the game for when I take my Switch on the go.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee Well, at least you're one of the people that understands that not everything should be like what "we" in 'Murica say it is, just because of reasons... (often times of course it being the greatest and most important country in the world)

It's that subtle, or maybe not even so subtle but rather obvious difference in logic and view that I can get and respect. And of course you're not going to call it American Football in every day conversation. I also don't say "Dutch Football" every time I use it in a general discussion, and that's simply because both you and I know that where we live, people will understand exactly what kind of sport we're talking about when we mention the word football.

And I also don't think that people need to walk on egg shells around each other concerning this possible mutual misconception, but what that particular individual did, was not only aiming arrows at me (and I don't give a crap, because I've got a VERY broad back and lesser beings like that couldn't even hurt me if they tried) but also at the article writer and crew of NLife in general, never once realizing that he was subscribed to a website that is originally from the UK, so of course they'd call Fifa a football game, and not a soccer game, and subsequently, the kits that the players are wearing consist of football shirts and shorts.

But he's one of the newer members. I've browsed through his two pages of comments that he made ever since he joined last year, and practically all of them are either negative or antagonistic in some way. It's sad to see more and more of these individuals join and infect this once great web site. A lot of them also don't read any of the rules when joining, posting hostile comments, swearing in them, or posting idiotic and/or already existing topics in the forums.

Oh, well. He hasn't reacted to my latest comment, but if he does (which might be a month from now, considering the initial callback) then he might just be the first ever person that I'd use the ignore button for, because it's a useless discussion, and I probably should have ignored it already. Oh, well... too late now...

P.S.

Football isn't that old in Europe. Over here, for example, the oldest professional team in the Dutch premiere league was founded in 1888, so we're not really talking several centuries. In countries like Spain, England, France and Germany, clubs were also founded around that time, or at the most a decade or two earlier. The sport of kicking a ball around did already exist far, far before that time, though. As early as in the Mayan age, people already played a version of the game in teams and the basics were also pretty much the same.

Except in the case of the Mayan version, losing definitely wasn't something you'd want to do, seeing as the losing team would receive a one-way ticket to their forefathers...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

HobbitGamer

@ThanosReXXX It’s basically just the whole “This is the trope, now defend yourself against the trope” mindset. Like everyone who assumes because I was raised in the south thinks I have some predisposition to plantations.

Oh I’ve been aware of 76’s shortcomings since launch. But for $9 it was worth spitting at. It’s enjoyable, but definitely a broken piece of poo. Worse than the serviceable Bethesda past titles. But I do love me some Fallout.

@bimmy-lee LM3 takes me forever because I try to vacuum and interact with everything. If the whole furniture humping thing were still around, poor Luigi would spend the whole game in a pelvic cast.

@NEStalgia Thanks for the tip on streaming. I just burned 3 hours playing on the laptop while watching tv 😁

#MudStrongs

bimmy-lee

@ThanosReXXX - Yeah, I just try to be respectful of the football situation at times when it matters, like here on NL. Try to not be belligerent. I’m not sure how long Europeans have been playing football, but I bet humans have been kicking around some kind of round object for a long time, and in any language; it probably translates loosely to something involving foot and ball. What do I know though? I’m watching a completely uncontested blowout on Monday Night Football, and I’m still riveted.

@HobbitGamer - It really is a problem. Who knew? Not me. It’s incredibly satisfying to vacuum EVERYthing.

Edited on by bimmy-lee

limby-bee was a jerk.

ThanosReXXX

@HobbitGamer Well, in that case, there's still parts 3 and 4, and even though 4 also doesn't seem to be the best that Fallout has to offer, it is still supposed to be a hell of a lot better than 76, but I'm not the expert on the series. I do own 3, but I hardly ever played it, so I'd rather leave any sensical comment in that regard to our friend @NEStalgia.

And yeah, I know about those tropes. That's much like how tourists view other countries. Like here, where we obviously all walk on clumps, live in windmills and eat cheese and so on...

But this particular discussion was somewhat different. His basic point is that I'm confused because I say football to what he says is definitely called soccer, and if I wasn't so "confused", then I would have known that American Football is the only real deal, which sounds more like the isolationist views I mentioned earlier: short-sighted Americans, viewing their country as the be all and end all, and viewing Europe and the rest of the world as either insignificant or some ignorant backwater territory that either needs to be ignored or saved, or God forbid: corrected...

Well, at least, that's the vibe I got from it. And me being of the mixed origin that I am, and living as some kind of former expat, seeing as I'm now legally Dutch, kinda gives me a weird, double view on things, because I still feel American, even though my passport says something else nowadays. So, in some cases, I still feel for and agree with my former fellow countrymen, and in other cases, I'm just as tired of those specific types of Americans and their sometimes rather egotistical ways as the rest of the Dutch often are. (and probably a lot of other Europeans as well)

It really IS a weird mental place to be in sometimes...

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee And that's how it should be, much like with games: enjoy/like what you enjoy/like, and let others do the same, instead of feeling the rather incessant need to argue about the non-important details and/or semantics of it all, but some people seem to have a harder time to accept that simple truth.

bimmy-lee

@ThanosReXXX - I take it all back. Everyone knows that football started 100 season ago when old man Teddy Roosevelt fought young John Wayne in a bare knuckle boxing match and an NFL game broke out between the Bears and Packers.

limby-bee was a jerk.

HobbitGamer

@ThanosReXXX I really liked the subtle quality of life improvements in 4, and the ability to download user created mods keeps it fresh.
I like the setting of New Vegas the most, though. And you can tell by the overall feel that it’s an Obsidian project. Hated the Sierra madre dlc, though. I’m a Fallout nut.

#MudStrongs

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic