Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 35,481 to 35,500 of 96,476

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX While the reference does mention actions that happened during Nazi power, the example does not illustrate anything done by the Nazis, but rather the nature of the every day common person and the depths of lows they will go to for minimum reward. It's the perfect example. The context of lying about "political crimes" by your neighbors knowing they will be dragged away physically, and quite possibly killed, simply to get a telephone "thank you" by a low ranking government official is the absolute lowest imaginable action. Yet that is precisely the common human reaction as human history has demonstrated. The reason to not mention it would be less about political correctness and more to avoid the common reality that any comparison to anything always references Nazis. But there's a reason for that. It's the most recent example one can use of the maximum extremes of human behavior/acceptance, etc, and like it or not, Nazis actually DID impact the modern world considerably with their policies and creations of mass media propaganda, manufacturing efficiency, etc. So they are both inextricably linked to the functioning and systems of the modern world, and the most up to date example of human extremes. You can compare everything to the rule of the Philistines, Moors, and Saraceans, but that doesn't really help when considering the comparison as vividly and understandably in modern contexts as Nazis. .

Oh for that particular individual that does happen all too often. But in this example, the first post was being directly belligerent, name calling, and dragging issues into the conversation that weren't even in the conversation (but that always rile up poster #2.) It wasn't even good trolling it was pretty cheap and obvious. Much like when people troll Anti with content he opposes, on purpose to get a response.

That said, I have NOT seen the original posts, so there could have been more to it that started it differently than it appears. Deleting posts can change contexts too easily. We see the response to "alphabet people" in response to the phrase "Mr. Letterman" (both terms I do find somewhat humorous, and I find it difficult to respect anyone who identifies themselves with an acronym, so the troll and I agree on that. You can be a person or an acronym. Pick one) but we can't see the original exchange, whatever it may have been.

Well, I said USSR and it's contemporaries, which includes PRC, DPRK, and others that followed their template. Both of the above were born of direct Soviet intervention, after all.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@StableInvadeel Most carrot cake does include diced pineapple in the recipe, so, yes, yes, indeed it does have pineapple!

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia I got that, but the essence of the message would have been the same, if you had mentioned office people trying to lick themselves into favor with their boss by backstabbing their colleagues. Something I've seen happen quite often, by the way...

Ultimately, the moral of the story was "everybody likes a pat on the back", and that message could definitely have been relayed without choosing such a harrowing topic to illustrate it. Not that I'm offended, by the way, I'm just not a particular fan of copious amounts of war-related topics to illustrate modern day issues. Especially not when there's plenty of other examples around.

As for that comments section: the trolling comment must have already been removed before I entered, then, because I thought you meant that "the other nes" was the troller, so that's why I was wondering where the heck the trolling bit was. Oh, well...

And I actually found it to be somewhat comical as well. And the insane amount of b***hurt about it was just pathetic, which is also what prompted my "backbone and broader backs" analogy...

Point well made, and taken about Russia. (tips hat)

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia By the way: who the hell puts pineapple in what's supposed to be a savory cake?

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

ThanosReXXX

@StableInvadeel Dang, so we can't even talk about carrot cake anymore? Things really ARE spiraling downwards fast...

bimmy-lee

@NEStalgia - That makes sense to me, though it does seem to be more about like minded peer acceptance than a pat on the back from an authority figure, like Thanos mentioned. My main issue is the ceaseless injection of personal politics into everything. It’s reached a point where it seems sort of disingenuous. Like you said, a peacock fanning his feathers. It looks amazing, but he only does it to intimidate another peacock or attract a mate. It’s not really what the peacock looks like 98% of the time. Why not keep our feathers folded until the appropriate time arises that they should be fanned instead of wasting all this energy trying to strut around with them out in an attempt to convince others that this is what we really look like all the time?

I guess I could be the old guy who wants to keep the kids off his lawn, but I don’t see it that way. I’m all for the advancement of the human race and allowing people to be themselves, which is why mindlessly injecting personal politics bothers me. It’s sort of the opposite of those two things. NL is kind of the last place where this should be happening incessantly. It’s video games! Video. Games. An escape. I mostly avoid the comment sections now, but they used to be pretty fun. I just went in on the one in question assuming we could crack some jokes together, but within 35 comments we were calling people pedos, and generally acting like spoiled kids who are upset that not everyone else in the world is exactly like them. I just had a middle finger joke. Jeez.

@ThanosReXXX - Haha, thanks man. The dung beetle/scarab analogy is perfect. “You all are just lowly dung beetles, but look at me, I’m a gorgeous emerald scarab. I’ll just post this thing I think people think I should be posting... oh no, someone called me on it! How would someone who actually believes this respond? Nothing left to do now but dig in and hang ooooonnnnnn!”

@HobbitGamer - While I kindly respect your love of carrot cake, it’s not very high on my list of delicious desserts. I like the icing, and how moist it tends to be, but I’m not a big fan of walnuts or raisins, though recipes vary. I’m not going to turn it down if it’s the only dessert available, but I’ll usually choose something else given options. TLDR, you’re wrong. Love the dessert I love or get out.

Edit- Sorry @StableInvadeel , I was hunting and pecking this response when you posted. I’m done. My favorite cake is pineapple upside cake!

Edited on by bimmy-lee

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Carrot cake isn't supposed to be savory. It's generally sweet. At least as done in the US. And since it's a cake of US origin....that stands. Carrot, zucchini, pumpkin, etc cakes are not savory once they're are drowned in copious amounts of brown sugar.

@bimmy-lee It's become a pastime among kinds in some areas, effectively the "I'm more PC than you, and I'm telling on your PC incorrectness!" They don't use or understand the term "political correctness" of course, but that's the effective result of it. Kids have learned to censor each other's political correctness as a competition. What happens 20 years from now? It also goes along with the tone of NLs reviews on games like Senran Kagura. I always think of Orwell's "Junior Anti-Sex League" and the sashes.

Of course usually the person in the room screaming about "tolerance" is the only one actually being intolerant....

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Then what's the use of putting carrot in it in the first place? Color?
To me, carrot cake just sounds like the English/American equivalent of a quiche, which IS a savory pie/cake.

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee You're welcome. While I thought of that, I was also reminded of a saying, which I know as Dutch, but is probably known in some form or another in other countries as well, which goes like this:

"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king"

I'm just going to trust in your skills to interpret that one in the context-appropriate way, instead of explaining it to you. So let that sink in for a bit, and the light will come on, and people WILL be home...

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX nooo, it's not like a quiche at all... Carrot cake, zucchini bread, pumpkin bread etc are all "quick breads"... An unyeasted baking powder leavened cake like sweet bread. Sometimes used for breakfast like a pastry, and in the case of carrot cake, iced in a cream cheese icing and decorated like any cake. It's a sweet dessert cake, but the carrot neutralizes since sweetness making it rich without being savory. The carrot is shredded very very fine so it's only marginally visible or detectable by texture. It's just a heavier, heartier cake... You don't taste carrot in there, it adds to the flavor in a more subtle way. It often has raisins and walnuts in it. It's quite good "homestyle" or rustic dessert. But can be decadent as well.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Ah, I see. Goes to show what I know about pies and pastries of other countries. The name certainly called up completely different images compared to the actual meaning, though.

But in all seriousness, it kinda sounds like there's actually not that much carrot in it, so I'm almost thinking it shouldn't even be called carrot cake. But let's move on to trains or something. Or dung beetles...

NintendoByNature

ThanosReXXX wrote:

"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king"

While it may be a Dutch saying, all it reminds me of is Chris farley blurting it out towards the skunks in the movie dirty work lol. I guess you'd have to see it to know what i mean.

NintendoByNature

ThanosReXXX

@NintendoByNature Well, like I said, to ME it is Dutch, but it'll probably be known in some shape or form in other countries as well, and the meaning of it will probably always be the same as well.

HobbitGamer

@ThanosReXXX It’s been around since at least 500-300 CE 😂

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

NintendoByNature

@ThanosReXXX I got ya. It's worth checking out dirty work for that scene though. Might Even have some clips on YouTube

NintendoByNature

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX there's actually quite a bit of carrot in it... About a whole bag (or two) in a 12" 2 layer cake. There's of course more flour, brown sugar, and oil.... But shredded finely, it spreads out thin among the other ingredients.

Also, sweet potato pie doesn't taste like potatoes. But is made of them.

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic