Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 35,461 to 35,480 of 96,481

bimmy-lee

@ThanosReXXX - Ah, didn’t realize that was the Apollo. I’ve watched and listened to a lot of fine comedians and musicians perform there. The most recent Dave Chappelle comedy special is titled (appropriately enough after the Steve Hughes clip): Sticks and Stones. You can’t go wrong with any of his comedy specials, or his Comedy Central sketch show from the early 00s titled Chappelle’s Show. Without even looking, I can safely say that none of the good stuff from Sticks and Stones will be on YT. He actually made the news rounds this year as offending people with his vicious takedown of offended/apology culture.

@NintendoByNature - I’ve looked at that one and the Punch Out clone several times, but I can’t shake the feeling they seem a little sub par. I’m waiting for an unlikely NL review, or for someone else to jump in and give their thoughts. Definitely intriguing though.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee Ah, yes, of course. Can't have offensive clips on YouTube, because all of the offense is already in the comments sections there. And then some...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

bimmy-lee

@ThanosReXXX - Haha, so true. “Shut up and die now snow flake, alt right, SJW! Skrimmleflarb! Flim flam! Politics! Loud noises! Listen to meeeeee, aaaahhhhhh!”

limby-bee was a jerk.

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Yeah from what I see that's left in that comment section, the first instigator was an obvious troll, though not inaccurate, intentionally provoking......and it worked as planned with one of the handful of predictable reactionaries biting. You would think the "soapbox" crowd could at least easily recognize obvious trolling and ignore it. But no...never can let a good chance to loudly point fingers at someone against some politically protected class even if it's clear they're doing it specifically so you'll loudly point fingers at them.... But what I don't get is how that occurred in a review about a SHMUP featuring a gauntlet protagonist and an all-star voice cast.

If that's what happened in that thread, I REALLY don't want to see what happens in the Bubble Bobble and Burger Time threads! Pong threads must be bannable.

@Heavyarms55 Of all the clickbait tactics NL is very very guilty of, I don't see that article as one of them at all, though I do agree that author is one of the top offenders (ha ha) of doing so. It's a game that's overtly designed as offensive, ala South Park, or The Simpsons (which was the South Park of the early 90s.) And it's a review that embraces the game and it's irreverence for what it is. I'm usually the first to prod pitchforks for NL's antics that are, honestly well beneath their position in terms of prominent outlets, and I've bought that up to Ant specifically when he was looking for feedback etc. But I don't see that review as one of them. It's a review about a game that's designed specifically around the idea of irreverence, and it's a favorable review embracing what the game is. More clikcbaity is the reviews about games like Senran Kagura that star out with a soapbox about how much everyone should be offended by the game's existence. We don't need the review to tell us how we should or shouldn't feel about the genre, the review should tell us if it's a good sample of it's genre. I just don't see how the finger review was anything but a review played straight about a game that goes out of its way to make clear it doesn't play it straight. It's not like it's some closet-dwelling studio cranking out garbage. They have freaking Nolan North and Sam Riegel! It's fairly "main stream" in the same manner as South Park.

What I do find amusing though is the same author that kicked up a poop storm over SWO being "misogynistic" that sent the comments into a cesspool (where that statement is simply flat wrong on every level) is the same one celebrating the "overt offensiveness" of this game. That tells me pretty clearly that you're right, the author is pretty much a paid troll.....but in this case, I think it's actually not trolling but a legit review.

VCRs....that still seems like yesterday to me. I still have all mine. I don't even think of them as old, though I never use them. I still think this time the world changed much too fast and the resulting society is completely functionally broken. You have 3 generations that are all from completely foreign unrelated cultures and ways of life now. And the next one being born now will be yet again from an entirely different culture replacing the elder generation's separation. You can't have a society perpetually split in 4 different entire ways of life and still function. The fact that I was obsolete by 18, adapted, and now am obsolete again....you can only adapt to a random new culture so many times before you just can't adapt further. I'm at that point. And now it's changing even FASTER, literally right in front of your eyes. I go somewhere, and 6 months later I go back and I can't even recognize it, it's entirely different, nothing that was there is still there and the entire landscape is reconfigured. I don't know how it's possible to live in a condition that's in perceptual flux and nothing is static with no security in anything. I will never figure that one out. (and only the bad things seem to remain even somewhat static.)

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

I don't get it, I just wrote an comment featuring completely progressive bigoted keywords all associated with extreme left-statist alt-right political issues, and it started a flame war? I declare innocence! The comments are just filled with so many backward 'murica jingoistic Marxist revolutionaries! I demand this site ban the offenders! We really need to censor the internet to only match the viewpoints of Berkley professors & Jerry Falwell! Why are you all downvoting me?!?!

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@bimmy-lee Speaking of B5 yesterday, it was ahead of it's time. The internet is the IRL version of the Drazi political system from season 1 or 2. One side gets green cloths. The other side gets blue cloths. They fight each other to the death for their colored team to get power and rule their civilization. What does each side represent? Green and blue cloths...there are no issues on either side, there's no actual parties or platforms, they just randomly allocate colors and that's your party you fight and die for! Someone hands you blue, that's your faction and you fight and die for it.

That was a pre-internet comedic take on politics. Unfortunately, that's the ACTUAL internet now.

NEStalgia

NintendoByNature

@bimmy-lee yea so the creepy brawlers game seems like a cheap cash grab. HH86 seems like a little more bang for the buck. I think it's super cool they put the game on the nes in 2016. But I only saw 1 review on it and it was 3/5 stars. So I want NL to give at least a mini review before i drop 10 on it.

NintendoByNature

NEStalgia

TFW a thread that's been open for 7 years has to be locked for spam...

NEStalgia

Anti-Matter

@StableInvadeel
My dead threads also (Dillon's Dead Heat Breakers thread, Have you ever visit Indonesia thread)...

Anti-Matter

NEStalgia

@StableInvadeel It was a very good reason. People need to know about the savings when switching to Insurance Grizzly!

NEStalgia

HobbitGamer

NEStalgia wrote:

@StableInvadeel It was a very good reason. People need to know about the savings when switching to Insurance Grizzly!

Fo Shizzly

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Well, all I saw in that thread is an apparent discussion based upon some "offensive" comments (according to a user who shares part of his name with you), which were already deleted, about amongst other things, "alphabet people" and that apparently has something to do with the whole gender discussion thing and/or the LGBT community and what not.

For me, most of it is total abracadabra, and it makes me either roll my eyes, or shrug and think the exact things that I already stated before: today's generation of people should grow more of a backbone and broader backs, so they won't be so easily offended anymore by any and all things and people that don't agree with them...

And now that I've seen that wonderful video that @HobbitGamer posted, I'd like to permanently use that to emphasize/underline my views. We're getting to a point where even giving someone a genuine compliment could be frowned upon, because it's potentially not wanted by the supposed recipient.

Man, sometimes, I just really wanna beat the crap out of all these pantsies and SJW do-gooders, and make them see the light and the error of their ways. If things keep going like this, then in a decade or so (if not sooner), we're pretty much either all going to be constantly insulted about something, or insulting someone else, and subsequently waging battles in court and/or the media, to be able to sue the other party, or to get the sympathy of like-minded sheep or the media. Yègh!

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX I'm presuming from the context of what I saw there's history between those two commenters going at it. But that original instigating one was definitely a troll post goading/prodding the second participant who has a visible history of running with any comments on those particular topics. That participant #2 couldn't tell he was being obviously and poorly trolled is really the #facepalm moment there. That it went beyond that is a depressing reminder that this is the internet. That a review about an irreverent shmup featuring a top dollar mainstream voice cast devolved into a gender argument is simply surreal.

I'm not even sure it's about backbone. Nobody should have to "have a broader back" to not be offended by people going out of their way to annoy people, people shouldn't be invasive to begin with. It's that people seem to go actively LOOKING for an argument (insert Michael Palin gif) specifically along the lines of pre-packaged talking points where an argument previously didn't exist. If somebody was talking about carrot cake, nobody comes in and takes over the thread ranting about sustainable farming and Monsanto. But you mention one of the graylisted PC watchwords and it turns into a comment poop storm. The discussion need not be directed at that person. A PC watchword they've selected to champion was being discussed somewhere, their spider senses tingle, and they need to insert themselves as the policing body of correct discussion. In every single thread. On the entire internet. And moreso in real life as well. In this case, I can almost sympathize with poster #2 since he was being deliberately trolled (though, again, how could he get offended by what was an obvious trolling instigation?) But past behavior has no doubt created the desire to troll him, knowing the predictable response.

I'm offended that everyone is offended. And I'm offended at tiptoeing around other people's wants. And I'm offended at conversations of people being offended. That leaves us at a stalemate, doesn't it? They're offended, I'm offended. At that point we either just ignore each other or kill each other. I don't even care which, just pick a path and stick to it.

Of course if it keeps going this way it will be worse than lawsuits. Eventually offensiveness will be legislated. Then you can be held by government force at gunpoint with threat of detainment and rights forfeiture by thinking or saying something that may offend someone else. You may die for having thoughts that might offend someone that thinks they're genuinely a goose after playing UGG. It's really a matter of time before the whole western world mirrors the USSR and it's contemporaries. We're pretty darned close already. Everyone. shares the same, correct thoughts and values. Everyone. Anyone who didn't vanished in the night.

I just want to go back to the 70s and 80s when the world last made some semblance of sense. Since then it's been a 1 way spiral.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

bimmy-lee

@NEStalgia - It’s a perfectly apt description, the green and the blue cloth. Most of the time I’m left wondering if people actually believe what they’re arguing, or if the dung beetle’s poop ball suddenly started rolling down hill, and they have no choice but to grab ahold and go for the ride.

@NintendoByNature - I didn’t realize the Halloween title was also released in a NES cart. Should be a sign it’s at least decent. The Punch Out clone looks like someone got ahold of the rom for Mike Tyson’s Intergalactic Power Punch and re worked the sprites.

limby-bee was a jerk.

NEStalgia

@bimmy-lee "I think to a large degree it's more about puffing out their peacock feathers. I'M cultured. Educated. Progressive! ** , informed, and enlightened, and I need to demonstrate to the world my superior progressive stances on the important issues of our time and seek the rewards.

** I have no idea what "Progress" means, but I've been told these assigned views are it. I haven't contemplated what they progress toward and away from. I just know I'm supposed to demonstrate my total belief in this defined set of values to demonstrate it."

It's also like being trained like an animal by media and education (remember, kids are indoctrinated with these "truths and values" by an education system comprised almost entirely of people with such beliefs and values. Then they become adults. Rarely does someone who learned from birth as, say, a devout Buddhist going to grow up to reject everything about Bhuddism...their very personality is shaped by those values they were told in development were truths.) And some of it is much more primitive than that. It wasn't uncommon back in Nazi Germany for people to call their friendly local Political Office to report some "Jew-harborers"/"Jews"/"dissidents" living next to them....when in fact the people next to them were not Jewish, accommodating any Jews, and not particularly against the Nazi regime. Why, then? Because people are comforted in receiving praise from authority figures. Reporting "Jews" nearby would warrant praise from the bureau. Nothing meaningful, just a thank you or a handshake. So they just made it up and had the people next door dragged away. Not because they actually had a grudge against the people next door. But just because being thanked by officials in uniforms made them feel good about themselves. This happened often, in fact.

I suspect a lot of "PC culture" is the same. It's not that many actually care at all. It's about being thanked and raised on a pedestal as someone of superior intellect for 40 seconds by someone deemed an authority.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Except in the case of the oh so wonderful internet crowd of this specific type of "warriors", it far more often seems to be about being praised by peers instead of superiors. They would LIKE to be like someone superior, but they hardly ever are...

I can agree with the whole mid part of your comment to bimmy, although if I were you, I would have found another topic to illustrate the fact that people like their everyday pat on the back, without having to resort to mentioning Nazi Germany. I guess that in that respect, I too am somewhat politically correct...

As for your reply to me: I always wonder how much more I should (or would want) to learn about trolling, because I've seen you mention "obvious" trolling several times before, in various unrelated discussions, and I'm just not seeing that. All I saw was a poor, tender soul with VERY long toes, being oh so offended by a comment about the group of people that are too often discriminated against, and which he happens to be a part of. I found that Hobbit's video illustrated that perfectly, by the way...

Regardless, it actually IS about having more of a backbone, or at least a broader back, less caring about a stranger's brain fart posted online. Sticks and stones, and all that. No online words can touch me, no person knows me, and only I know how my words are intended, so there's often also things going wrong in a discussion by getting lost in translation, something I've often mentioned before as being a pet peeve of mine, is the lack of facial expressions and tone of voice, potentially even making the most polite comment suspicious of insulting or "trolling" by others, who are hell-bent on seeing an ulterior motive or hidden meaning in something.

The whole bit about being offended at people being offended is basically what was so brilliant about the aforementioned video, so in that regard, we actually completely agree.

But erm... Russia? Don't you mean China?

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee Loving the dung beetle analogy. The victims of it will probably still be defending it after getting caught and finally realizing it, by saying "well, but it wasn't just any dung beetle, it was a priceless scarab, so I'm still better than you"...

HobbitGamer

I love carrot cake.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

ThanosReXXX

@HobbitGamer Not just any, I hope. Depends on how it's seasoned.
No more pineapple, then?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic