Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 35,441 to 35,460 of 36,890

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee Haha, I actually just watched that last week. For the kind of movie that it is, I actually didn't think it was all that bad, and I'm sure we could experience FAR worse than watching Dakota Johnson au natural...

Considering we were talking about gangsters and bike gangs earlier, I was expecting something far more horrible, like playing kiddie games or coloring your bedroom baby blue or garish pink...

So, did the missus made you/ask you to watch it with her, or was it actually a voluntary act?

On a side note: I just watched some gameplay footage of that Fantasy Pirates game, and it looks very simplistic to me, so I don't really see the attraction. Circle around castle, shoot the walls, shoot enemies and avoid enemies, is all I saw. Might be fun for a couple of minutes, but I certainly don't see myself hunting for a physical copy of what's basically a rather simple smart phone game.

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

bimmy-lee

@NintendoByNature - It was worth the one year wait, and I have leftovers for tonight. This dinner was extra special because my mom actually did make a pie, and not just any pie; my grandma’s recipe for sugar cream pie. I haven’t had it in a decade, and it’s probably my favorite pie. Almost cried.

@HobbitGamer - Done, whew, what a relief. Back in the good graces of the Lord of the Mountain.

@BruceCM - At some point, I had to come to grips with the fact that I was choosing 50 Shades 2 over those games, given that I could have easily just taken my pint and Switch to the table and set up shop there. It was a weird choice to make for sure, but I’ll get my chance eventually to be a castaway on Koholint Island or a jerk goose.

@ThanosReXXX - Little did I know this week while daydreaming about LA/Goose Game day that my wife would suddenly remember, “Oh yeah, 50 Shades 2 (and 3!)”. You’re right though, I enjoyed the experience. I was never bored between the action scenes and finding comedy in all sorts of other places. I realized about midway through that the actor playing Christian Gray was channeling two different Christian Bale performances: Patrick Bateman and Batman. Not a bad combo.

The fantasy pirates thing is a running joke in this thread. The original post(s) were about a 3DS game, but we changed the name of the game, and now we’re building an elaborate mythology about a mobile port on Switch. I think. As best as I can tell at least, that’s what we’re doing. It’s hard to tell sometimes with Hobbit and NBN. They’re not right.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

NintendoByNature

@bimmy-lee sugar cream pie?!!?!? Why haven't I heard of this? Why haven't I seen it? I need this, like now. You won't hear from me the rest of the day. I'm on the hunt for said pie

NintendoByNature

bimmy-lee

@NintendoByNature - It’s a Hoosier thing. It’s our state pie. They’re almost impossible to find even here. If you have three cups of sugar, eight sticks of butter, heavy cream, and some flour; you can make one right now. My grandma was an epic cook and baker. She made wedding cakes and catering for decades. She actually won a national competition in Readers Digest with her pumpkin pie recipe in the early 90s, haha!

Edit - I have 75% of the pie in the fridge right now. See you in 2.5 hours.

Edited on by bimmy-lee

limby-bee was a jerk.

Anti-Matter

@ThanosReXXX
"I was expecting something far more horrible, like playing kiddie games or coloring your bedroom baby blue or garish pink..."

I still never understand why to become adult have to be evil, adore 18+ stuffs. Why?? 🤨🤔😔
I see them as absolute hell toxin, that's NOT a norm for me.
Adult male doesn't need foul languages, sexy babes, gore, violences, etc. Why did you always define to become adult should be like that ?
I oftenly saw your ideas always clashed with mine, like i will never got positive feedbacks or compliments with my silly ideas.
I don't understand why peoples never understand about my different side.
Just because i like Kiddie things, it doesn't mean i have very bad taste to become adult man.
It was so frustrated to see peoples keep judging / bashing my unusual interest. 😓😔

Sorry if suddenly i asked you like that.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

NintendoByNature

@ThanosReXXX fantasy pirates is indeed a running joke. At least it is for me 😁. Ninfan asked me completely out of the blue if i was playing it. So its just been a fun little joke we have.
@bimmy-lee I think I'll need grandma bimmys secret pumpkin and sugar cream recipes. Let's not hold out, time to share with the whole class 😉. But for real, I think i might attempt to make it. I'm no baker, more of a chef, but I'm sure I can muster up a solid effort.

NintendoByNature

Sunsy

Anti-Matter wrote:

I still never understand why to become adult have to be evil, adore 18+ stuffs. Why??

If it's ok, I'd like to give my opinion. When someone is an adult, they know it's fiction. I've played several M-rated (I'm in the US, so going by the ESRB rating) games, but I know the difference between fiction and reality.

With that said, some M-rated games I've played have really good stories, like the one I mention before, Titanfall 2. Yes, it's a shooter, but the appeal of it to me is the bond between Jack Cooper and BT-7274. I was in tears at the end of the game. There's more to these games than just shooting enemies, IMO.

Also, not everything does appeal to everyone. There may be people who don't enjoy these kind of mature rated games. Which leads me to...

Anti-Matter wrote:

I don't understand why peoples never understand about my different side.
Just because i like Kiddie things, it doesn't mean i have very bad taste to become adult man.
It was so frustrated to see peoples keep judging / bashing my unusual interest.

I understand very well, you enjoy more family friendly games. I also enjoy family friendly games, I was actually playing Super Lucky's Tale on PC this morning (if you like family friendly games, I think you may enjoy it when it launches on Switch later this year), and I love that game a lot.

Enjoy the games you like. If M-rated games aren't your thing, just enjoy the games you like. I don't see anything bad with that to be honest.

Edited on by Sunsy

Sunsy

bimmy-lee

@NintendoByNature - You got it man, the request is in. I asked my mom to send me the recipes. I’ll post when I have them. It could take her a bit to get them to me. I’ve always been tempted to try them myself, but like you, I’m not great at baking. I’ve also never been a big fan of pumpkin anything, which I know was a source of silent shame with my grandma.

Years ago, when I was living in Philly, I met a friend who was also a really good baker, and I told her about the sugar cream pie. I got her the recipe, and she made one for everyone on my birthday. She nailed it, and also said it was the single most unhealthy thing she’s ever made. This big guy loved it a little too much, and ate two slices (documented, though I suspected a third), then found out two weeks later he was diabetic. No doubt the pie is what pushed him over the edge.

limby-bee was a jerk.

NintendoByNature

@bimmy-lee I'll be patiently waiting. I actually like most pumpkin flavored stuff. With the exception of the new cereals, pop tarts or Oreos kind of stuff. Breads pies cakes though ill have a taste of for sure.

NintendoByNature

BruceCM

Was it good, @bimmy-lee ... ? I like some supposedly 'mature' games, @Anti-Matter But then I like plenty of games that are suitable for young teens, etc In all honesty, a lot of what qualifies a game as 'M' is rather immature, really

SW-4357-9287-0699
Gamertag: BruceCM

bimmy-lee

@BruceCM - I’m probably a poor critic because I like both good and bad things, and sometimes I’m confused as to whether something I like is good or bad; but I enjoyed the experience for sure. The tittilation from the books was accurately depicted according to my wife, the story was interesting enough (and unintentionally funny when it wasn’t), and the lead male actor was a delight. I found out I could do a decent impression of his character, which I believe to be an impression of an amalgam of two Christian Bale characters: Patrick Bateman and Batman. It’s the only way I’ve spoken to my wife since last night. I had to get more covert about it when my kids asked from another room who Anastasia is this morning.

Edited on by bimmy-lee

limby-bee was a jerk.

BruceCM

Sounds like it was OK, at least, @bimmy-lee .... As long as you enjoyed it enough!

SW-4357-9287-0699

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee Ah, I see. Didn't know it was a running joke. I was looking at the gameplay video and actually caught myself being dumbfounded as to the why, but thanks for clearing that up, and restoring your own reputation as I saw it up to that point...

Concerning the actor, aka Jamie Dornan, there's a fun fact there: it's not that he regrets having done the 50 Shades trilogy, but he most definitely IS tired of being seen as Mr. Gray by the general public. Before those movies, he was already a well-established actor both on stage and on screen in his own country, and since the 50 Shades movies, he's starred in several more movies, plays and series, but every time he goes out, whether that's in his own country or on holiday, there's always one or two desperate fans that remind him of the Mr. Gray role...

I'm guessing that there isn't a whip or pair of handcuffs to be found anywhere near his own bedroom...

On a side note: sugar cream pie, aye? Sounds delicious, but also like an absolute calory bomb, so I'd best stay away.

@NintendoByNature Glad I'm in on the joke now. I was beginning to question my sanity, which is not a good thing to start the weekend with...

@Anti-Matter No worries about asking me, my friend. I'll try to explain in as much detail as possible, and I'm hoping that it will at least make you understand other people's views on games and their views on your own taste in games.

I think that first and foremost, you have to remember that in the eyes of most people, you have a rather extremist view on these things. I don't know if that's specifically a thing because of the country you're living in, or because of the person who you are, or maybe it's a combination of it all, giving you certain morals and values, that are definitely not mainstream. Liking more friendly types of games isn't weird at all, because most of us also like Mario, Yoshi, Pokémon or Kirby games, but there's that, and then there's your VERY specific and extreme taste.

I mean, you're a 35 year old man, and apart from a small handful of exceptions, nearly all you play is games that are actually meant for little kids. The most adult thing you do, is playing DDR on a very high level, which I actually find impressive, so my compliments for that, even though I don't even like those games. But you should be able to understand that a whole lot of people will wonder what the hell is going on if an adult, over 30 year old man is playing Hello Kitty, or games that are the digital counterpart to Duplo blocks. (if you don't know Duplo: it's LEGO for toddlers/little children up to 5 years)

Either way, in many ways, you are very alone in your views. You always say that having played those games when you were younger, made you angry and feel bad, but it seems to me that you're still a lot of anger left in you, when people talk about these things or whenever an article about such a game is posted on Nintendo Life, because I see words like hate, hell, suck, and other negative and rather aggressive labels.

In comparison, you'll never see me or most of the other people on here become super angry about or rage against the types of games we don't like. At least not in the way that you do. I simply say that I don't like these types of games, or that I just don't care about them, but you'll never see me say that they completely suck, that I hate them or that they are "absolute hell toxin"...

You NEED to understand that this really is WAY too extreme.

And remember: it's just games, a simple hobby. Not something that should control, take over or influence your life in such a way that it stresses you out. If that happens, then my advice would be to stay away from games altogether, because it would seem that you cannot tell the difference between real and make belief.

And while I agree that you don't NEED to have things in games like violence, gore and sexy babes, you should also realize that if that bothers you so much, that you should then also listen to your own advice, because yesterday, I saw you once again mentioning "shirtless hunky guys with six packs", which is exactly the same thing.

So, if you don't want others to keep mentioning stuff like that, then you should also stop doing it. I don't care if you like women or men, that's fine by me, but the annoyance about expressions of those preferences go both ways, if they're mentioned too often.

Also important to remember is that video games are an art form, so a lot of the time, you'll see only beautiful and/or rather perfect examples of people in games, whether those are male or female, and in both cases, there's often a bit more of a perfect or over-exaggerated body shape, so in males that's always muscular, and in females that's the rounded form, so boobs and butts.

Far as I'm concerned, there's nothing really wrong with either one. I certainly wouldn't want to be playing a fighting game with some fat blob of a guy (Street Fighter's sumo wrestler E. Honda being one of the few exceptions), and as a healthy heterosexual guy, I also like pretty women with nice figures. But having said that, I know it's all fiction, and some of these things are far from realistic, and for most of us, that's perfectly clear, so playing these games with that in mind, will never make us feel uncomfortable, angry or whatever.

One more thing, though: there are no games that are 18+, well at least not in mainstream video gaming. All the types of games that you don't like are labeled 16 at most, so that's incorrect. And besides that, if you have games like simulations and so on, you can't have anything else than realistic, so a racing sim will look like real life, a game inspired by World War 2 should also look realistic and have violence in it, and a game about sexy anime girls, well... should obviously be just that.

And what would a zombie game be without blood and gore? That's what it's supposed to be. Even in the rather cute looking game Plants vs Zombies there's gore. It's comic looking gore, but still. That just shows you, that it's an ingredient that belongs with the type of game or type of character, so it's nothing to get angry about.

Ultimately, you should just stick to playing the games that you like, and I think you should also REALLY try and learn to accept that different people have different tastes, and to not be angry at those people or at those games. Just respect them, and they'll respect you back. If you keep repeating how much you hate all that all the time, then that's the energy, the vibe that you put out there, so that's also what you will be getting back: negativity towards your tastes. So, I don't feel that the negativity that you get is specifically about your personal taste in games, but more about how you behave when other types of games that you don't like are discussed/mentioned. You don't have to mention ALL of the time, that you don't like these.

So, next time you see an article about a game that you DON'T like or don't want to play, why not leave that article alone and not post a comment in it? All you're going to get is dozens of dislikes anyway, so it shouldn't be worth your time and energy, especially if it's only annoying you or making you angry.

Well, that's how I see it, and I hope that makes things a bit more clear for you.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee Haha, that's hilarious! I can almost vividly imagine the looks you exchanged with your wife, and the blood rising in your faces.

You're wife kinda downplayed the books, though. It's pretty X-rated at times, and some stuff definitely had to be left out of the movies. Camera angles are a lovely thing for more lenient ratings and to prevent precious footage from ending up on the cutting room floor...

BruceCM

But x-rated books rely on your imagination, @ThanosReXXX ... Whereas films have to show at least enough to convey the idea &, in books like those, the sex scenes are integral to the plot, so you might have to tone them down for mainstream release but can't cut them completely

SW-4357-9287-0699

bimmy-lee

@ThanosReXXX - Ha, it was quite a funny moment. My daughter is always listening, even when it seems like she isn’t. Not the first time I’ve had to improvise a quick response for her. I should clarify that my wife thought they translated well what they could from the book while still remaining a movie that could be shown at regular theaters. I learned a couple things, but she made it clear the books take it to an entirely different level.

The books were such a massive, worldwide phenomenon that the role of Christian Gray was bound to be both a blessing and a curse for the actor playing him. No matter what he does for the rest of his career, he’ll always be that character. It’ll probably be in the first paragraph of his obituary after he’s lived a hopefully long and meaningful life.

Man, the Fantasy Pirates angle has just taken on a new layer of comedy. It’s delightfully funny to think about you watching the Fantasy Pirates trailer on the eShop wondering what in the world we were talking about, questioning whether we could ever be taken seriously again.

limby-bee was a jerk.

ThanosReXXX

@BruceCM Well, I both agree and disagree, because you DO need your imagination more when reading a book, but a book also allows for more elaborate description of what is going on and what you should be seeing, and the graphic descriptions of some acts in the books where nowhere near to being found in the movies. But just as well, probably, for several reasons...

The books contain more X-rated stuff than all of the Harlequin romance novels combined, and some of these can already be quite racy, as I've often heard from my sister, when I once asked her why the heck she reads such cheap trash instead of actual literature.

On side note: but of course I understand the choices in the translation to the screen, and not just in this movie, but in any other type of movie as well. In a book, you can dedicate half a page or more to a person's inner thoughts, or to the description of an act, a room or a location, whereas that would never work or at the very least be highly detrimental to the pace of a movie.

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee I didn't just watch an eShop trailer, I watched this:

So yeah, I actually Googled it, to find out if I should make use of this discount offer or not...

And duly noted about the book vs movie thing. Glad your wife doesn't have the Pinocchio gene...
I do wonder now that you know all that, and now that you've seen and actually enjoyed the movies, if that has also made you somewhat curious about the books. If you do, better make sure that your kids are nowhere near when you do decide to read them, though...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

BruceCM

Well, yeah, written descriptions, @ThanosReXXX .... However detailed, those still need some imagination Different mediums, anyway; I used to read a lot, so it's not a criticism or anything

SW-4357-9287-0699

ThanosReXXX

@BruceCM Didn't take it as such, but of course you know what I meant. You just can't put the whole "put this peg in that hole" thing in a mainstream movie. Well, most of the time. There actually are some exceptions, but those are VERY rare, and mostly done by lower tier actors and actresses.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic