Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 35,401 to 35,420 of 96,298

ThanosReXXX

@Grumblevolcano Hm... well, I guess they had better prepare for the, erm... Fallout, then?

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NEStalgia

@Grumblevolcano W.T. actual F.??? How does one even respond to that. Hysterical laughter doesn't even fit. I may just sob uncontrollably for hours despite not even caring. It's just that bad.

How is Bethesda even still in business? How do they have any customers at all? It's hard to blame the company when thy apparently found a whole ton of suckers to sell garbage to at outrageous sums of money. I have always loved Elder Scrolls, but I feel like Fallout76 and it's continued.....carpification of it....has made me consider Bethesda a rung or two below EA in my book. At least with EA the lootboxes eventually give you something good to play. With Bethesda you just keep shoveling $20's in the furnace just to watch the smoke blow.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

"Remember that time you paid us $80 for a completely broken product you couldn't use? Now you can relive the magic on an annual subscription basis!"

I'm starting to believe the series is an actual Enclave/VaulTec experiment on the population.

@ThanosReXXX Haha, yeah I have a similar arc of "need Trek filler" shows. And I second the misery of a sci-fi fan when more than half the shows you try to watch get cancelled 13-28 episodes in. It's not easy being ...er....just pretend sci-fi TV fan rhymes with "green"?

B5 is no filler though....it's the king of all sci-fi shows. No exceptions.

There's a fun plaque that hangs (or hung) above a doorway in the JPL (Jet Propulsion Laboratory): "Never use a Star Trek solution on a Babylon 5 problem."

Also fun fact, since you're familiar with B5. NASA actually bought the blueprints for the Starfury fighters. Not a joke. They've done nothing with them. I can't imagine what they would do with them, and since they're not a military division they didn't buy them as combat vehicles. But they were considering building adapting them for mining/construction/something/someday/maybe.

Then again, these are the same people that "lost" the blueprints for the Saturn V, the most powerful rocket engine ever built.......

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Haha, yeah, or actually: belay that laugh, I should have actually cried, because it's rather sad and infinitely stupid, but yay humans working for governmental agencies, I guess...

As for Babylon 5: I didn't mean to imply that it was a filler series per se, but over here, it DID start as such, filling the exact time slot that Star Trek normally occupied, so filler in that sense, not as in "disposable series that only runs for one or two seasons anyway".

Oh, and sorry to ruin the joke, but the "rhymes with green" thing is completely flying over my head, by the way.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

ThanosReXXX

@Anti-Matter "Speaking about satellites and planets"

Huh? Literally NO ONE was talking about either of these two things. Man, it really baffles me how your mind works, sometimes...

@NEStalgia For my own peace of mind, I think I'm just going to see that comment of his as a n00b's translation of sci-fi: yeah, must be those movies and series about space, planets and satellites and all that stuff...

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Only in government can you be the guy that loses the blueprint to the most powerful engine/weapon ever designed, and the only known tool to accomplish specific tasks, and still have a job. Probably a promotion. And pension. And only in government can it take another 40+ years and counting to design something comparable to the thing you already had 50 years ago. Imagine being the guy at Amazon that loses the password hash for the backups? And telling them it'll take you at LEAST 45 more years (and a half dozen well connected contractors) to build another one?

The joke was just Kermit's "it's not easy being green" except "it's not easy being a sci-fi fan" but without any word I can think of that rhymes with it. Speaking of Farscape and Muppets and such.

NEStalgia

Eel

I got a new usb-c cable and, gosh, I can't believe how much of a difference the cable can make!

Everything went from unstable slow charging to working like new again.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

ThanosReXXX

@StableInvadeel We've all been there.

@NEStalgia But it is suspiciously weird how these things always happen with either the most crucial or important things. No one ever loses the plans for the Space Shuttle's sleeping bag hinges...

All kidding aside, though: back in the early 00's over here, the Dutch military supposedly "lost" a not yet developed roll of film about crimes against humanity in Eastern Europe, or somewhere thereabouts. That film would have been crucial evidence in the international trials, but because some idiot lost it/made it disappear, hundreds of pages of additional paperwork were needed to still make certain cases/accusations stick. And I can name a couple more examples, both local and international.

All or most of them just WAY too convenient, or stupid to actually just be an accident. Or maybe I just like conspiracy theories...

As for the joke: ah... good old Kermit. And I actually know that song, but I already forgot you mentioning Muppets. I was already way too deep into the sci-fi memories...

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX I think the greatest conspiracy is that everyone is convinced there are no such things as conspiracies and theories about them are inherently crazy. Meanwhile there are volumes of laws that are tried in court regularly specifically relating to conspiracy....

The idea that one human or group of humans aren't motivated to lie or deceive in concert with each other based on personal gains, idealistic gains, or under threat and that believing they are is "tin foil hat" territory has got to be the most intense conspiracy of deception ever!

There were no such thing as KGB spies. There were never KGB spies. In fact the USSR didn't even exist. Someone just thought Saturn V plans were their sandwich wrapper and threw them out. Honest! Pfft, you people and your conspiracy theories, always overlooking the obvious answers exactly as your leaders tell you they exist....

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia So... so... aliens DO exist in Area 51?

But yeah, that's pretty much the gist of it. I'd dare to wager a bet that both governments and most major religious institutions would prefer us to still be illiterate, like in the Middle Ages, so that they're the only ones that can tell us what the books actually say...

EDIT:
But of course, nowadays there are also many new and "glorious" ways of indoctrinating people. Just look at Russian, Chinese and Korean correctional institutes. I've recently seen a news item on a Chinese one, about an Islamic subculture called the Uyghurs, who are not only discriminated, but are also re-educated in special camps, to become "good citizens", and adopt a more accepted, Chinese way of living, instead of their own, which is considered to be inferior and/or close to unpatriotic.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

ThanosReXXX

@StableInvadeel Ooh, and I just added an edit. My bad. I'll stop there. It's just that it is sometimes very interesting to talk about, and this is the Chit-Chat thread after all, so the daily stuff does sometimes come to the surface, even if it isn't a nice topic.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

BruceCM

ThanosReXXX wrote:

@I'd dare to wager a bet that both governments and most major religious institutions would prefer us to still be illiterate, like in the Middle Ages, so that they're the only ones that can tell us what the books actually say...

What books? & you surely don't automatically believe everything any author writes....?
For the religious side, it is now easy to get hold of any books they're referring to & check that, at least, those do say whatever is being claimed
But for governments, I'm not sure there's really anything similar?

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

HobbitGamer

B5 is great, Dark Angel and Sarah Conner Chronicles ended too quickly, and Fallout 76 is still a joke.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

ThanosReXXX

@BruceCM Normally, I'd tell someone that didn't get that reference, to save himself the trouble of commenting on it, or to take a hike, if I had a bad day, but you're a nice guy, so I'll clarify:

It was simply a reference to those times, hence the specific mention of the Middle Ages, when both the government and the church told people what to know and believe. The government from the books of law and/or history, and the church obviously from the Bible.

And of course I don't believe that, but that is also never what I implied, so that one's on you, for completely screwing up what I said there. Bad, very bad interpretation of my words...

bimmy-lee

So, who else likes pizza? I love that stuff. Hamburgers too. So good.

@ThanosReXXX - The first time I remember noticing the Hollywood goon phenomenon was in an old after school cartoon called GI Joe. Every single episode featured dozens upon dozens of generic foot soldiers firing hundred of shots from their laser rifles at a small group of Merican heroes who could somehow duck, dodge, and roll their way through the battlefield and overcome the evil horde by punching them all right in their stupid faces. It probably helped lead me to a complex I suffered from for many years where I thought I could overcome any person, problem, or situation with simple violence.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

NotTelevision

@Grumblevolcano That is crazy. Who is actually going to pay them more money to play that “game”.

It also looks like the comparably small development team at Obsidian outdid Bethesda again with The Outer Worlds. The reviews have been pretty positive.

Even less of a reason to play Fallout ‘76 now.

NotTelevision

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic