Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 35,401 to 35,420 of 36,475

Anti-Matter

@NEStalgia
Want to ask about Mafia organization.
If you have read my description about my Chibi Mafia Imperio, do you think my description was make a sense enough for a Mafia group ?
I mean :
1. Do they live in a hideaway house ?
2. Do the mafia leader can run their dirty business somewhat like i found from Biker Mice from Mars villain ?
3. If one day they will get arrested, by what evidence they will be sentenced ?
4. Do you think my whole concept about my Chibi Mafia Imperio was very Amateur ?

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

ThanosReXXX

@NintendoByNature Sounds very much like just another idiot, far as I'm concerned. If you click on an article that says "guide" or "walkthrough", you should be able to figure out exactly what you're gonna get. If that doesn't suit you, then don't click on it, simple. I sincerely hope that this person was ridiculed and/or disliked by all the rest of the commenters.

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX "For one because we completely agree there, and secondly because we were only talking about gangsters/mafia, so they're not relevant to the topic at hand."

Organized crime is organized crime....even if it's traded on the Nasdaq so your Templars can buy a piece of the action

@StableInvadeel But how will you charge it in your Amish village with no electricity or running water?

@Anti-Matter I think your description makes sense in the direction of a kids show with a cute mob-esque type situation. Nothing serious or actual mob related, but plays on the theme in a way that would be entertaining for kids...it makes sense in a "kids show take on innocent mob themed characters" sort of way, yes. It plays on stereotypes of the Italian Mafia in a kind of innocent way as kind of a kids parody.

I mean, no it couldn't come close to passing as an actual serious story... But I don't think that was your intention...that would have to be VERY "M" rated

As for the real deal, that's more complicated since a lot of that is based on stereotypes, which themselves are largely based on the 1920's through 1950's operations of the US branch of the Mafia, particularly during their heyday running "speakeasies" (illegal nightclubs serving, making, and transporting alcohol during alcohol prohibition.) The clothing in your art design is based on that mid-20th century stereotype, which is what most people picture when talking about the Mafia. The reality of today is their presence in the US is very very very diminished and they have nearly no power (back in their heyday they were actually doing business for the government watching for German spies during the war - and the government agreed to look the other way and not look too tough at their crimes while they were helping.)

In the 60's there was Jimmy Hoffa and the Teamsters union. All perfectly legitimate. Nothing mob related whatsoever.....nothing at all....

Today they have little influence here, but in Italy they're still a problem. A few year's back they had almost total control of Venice and the government really had a hard time cracking down. But it doesn't look like pinstripe suits and bowler hats anymore, of course. Half of the crime happens on the internet, not in the street. It's "modern" now.

Hideouts were never really "hideouts" - they were normal people living normal lives.....but happened to be criminals. The "hideouts" were either temporary staging areas to assemble for a larger crime, or were the speakeasies mentioned earlier. Known clubs that served as a gathering place for them, usually owned by the organization or it's leader. But that was died to the 1940s and prohibition. They may launder through restaurants, construction companies, warehouses, etc...various businesses they own or the leaders own, but they don't hang around eating pasta all day anymore.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

BruceCM

Well, I do think Western governments generally find better ways to deal with people than killing civilians, @ThanosReXXX & @NEStalgia
Not so much for moral reasons as that it's usually more effective to use other methods Then, when they do have to, they are better at disguising it for the general public

SW-4357-9287-0699
Gamertag: BruceCM

NintendoByNature

@ThanosReXXX i think he's a regular though. I've seen him on the astral chain thread before. Doing somewhat similar things. Some points he made in that thread are valid, but still hot button nonetheless. Damo jumped in right away on the guide comment section to rebuttal his comment. So he IS getting called out. I'm surprised and not surprised by damo doing it. Hes been known to do it, but I'm not sure why he feels the need to.

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Little influence? And mostly gone? You're conveniently forgetting the 80's and 90's with Gotti and his friends and foes, amongst which the Gambino family, who to this day still exert some control on piers in Brooklyn and Staten Island through infiltrated labor unions.

A quick search on the worldwide webs:

Indictments from 2008 to 2014 show that the family is still very active in New York City. During 2009, the Gambino family saw many important members released from prison.

And on the American Mafia in general:

The Mafia is currently most active in the northeastern United States, with the heaviest activity in New York City, and with a substantial presence in Philadelphia, New Jersey, Buffalo and New England, in areas such as Boston, Providence and Hartford. It is also highly active in Chicago and other large Midwestern cities such as Kansas City, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, Cleveland, and St. Louis, a smaller presence in places like New Orleans, Florida, Denver, Las Vegas and Los Angeles, and with smaller families, associates, and crews in other parts of the country.

At the Mafia's peak, there were at least 26 cities around the United States with Cosa Nostra families, with many more offshoots and associates in other cities. There are five main New York City Mafia families, known as the Five Families: the Gambino, Lucchese, Genovese, Bonanno, and Colombo families. At its peak, the American Mafia dominated organized crime in the United States. Each crime family has its own territory (except for the Five Families) and operates independently, while nationwide coordination is overseen by the Commission, which consists of the bosses of each of the strongest families.

Today, most of the Mafia's activities are contained to the northeastern United States and Chicago, where they continue to dominate organized crime, despite the increasing numbers of other crime groups

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

ThanosReXXX

@NintendoByNature Yeah, I've read the comments. Got a bit curious. I know this person. Well, on here, that is. He does tend to be a bit more negative in general, but in the Pixie forum topic, he was actually making quite a few valid points, and I also agreed with him, but him commenting on the guide like this, and on being "disappointed" about people wanting and/or seeking out guides like these, is just pathetic.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

bimmy-lee

@ThanosReXXX - Ha, I saw a little bit about it during lunch. I didn’t have much time to linger, but I’ll check their progress later. It didn’t look super organized. Thanks for the link earlier, I’ll check it out.

@NintendoByNature - Seems like someone always gets mad when a guide gets published here. Maybe because NL doesn’t really post that many guides? I appreciate it as a last ditch effort if I’m totally stuck in a game like UGG though. I’d rather admit defeat and move on than get totally frustrated because I just can’t make the connection I’m supposed to make to advance the game.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

BruceCM

Not the 1st time a negative review has actually made me more interested in a game .... I'll often look around several reviews if I'm interested but not sure about some game I don't buy games just because all the sites say it's the best ever if I don't like the gameplay or something

SW-4357-9287-0699

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee Yeah, it seems pretty low-key for now, but they specifically stated that they aren't planning on leaving either, so I've no idea how it's going to end. And the world is watching, much like with any other goings-on in the rest of the world with civilians rallying against the establishment nowadays.

And you're welcome. It's a snack-bite news piece, so you'll have read it within the space of two minutes, but it'll give you a pretty decent idea of where things stand with bike clubs/gangs on this side of the pond.

Tyranexx

I've had a productive day off, all things considered. Yours truly now has a fiber internet install lined up for next week (finally) and cancelled the old internet service for around that time too. I can't wait to get off of Frontier Communications and their meh internet. ^_^

I also finally finished the post-game to my satisfaction in Dragon Quest IV (That final FINAL boss's last form was a pain), so I'll be moving on to something else during my evening gaming session after I get back from meeting my mom and sister for supper. I still have Mega Man Battle Network 2 sitting on my Wii U's internal memory, so I might boot that up. It's the only one of those games I haven't played.

@ThanosReXXX That's a pattern I've noticed for a while here ever since the Switch became big. While the extra traffic to the site is nice in some aspects, I believe it's also made comment sections under the articles more volatile. I don't read through them as much as I used to...if at all.

Forum topics, for the most part, tend to stay respectful and sane.

@NintendoByNature I briefly clicked into the guide just to skim it but didn't really read the comments. It's a GUIDE; what does that user think they're gonna get? Some guides are more spoilery than others, sure, but a guide with no spoilers at all is very difficult to pull off.

Kind of reminds me of a story a coworker told me yesterday from when he worked at a retail store. A woman came in shortly before a winter storm was gonna hit and wanted to buy all these electric blankets to keep warm if the power went out.

Let that sink in for a moment.

(It is possible she had a generator, but apparently this lady was known to not have all the lights on sometimes.)

Video Corner: How SM3DW Actually Started (language)
Currently playing: Mega Man Battle Network 2 (Wii U VC), Metroid: Samus Returns

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

BruceCM

The complaint I saw was there being a guide up for the game on release day, @Tyranexx .... Apparently, they weren't even looking for it? I suppose that could make sense, if they accidentally clicked on something?

SW-4357-9287-0699

Tyranexx

I forgot to mention that my Link's Awakening amiibo arrived today. The backdrop is almost too pretty to destroy, but I also wanna unbox the amiibo....

@BruceCM I guess, but why not just back out of it if it was an accidental click? Why waste the time and text to just complain about something like that?

People are weird.

Video Corner: How SM3DW Actually Started (language)
Currently playing: Mega Man Battle Network 2 (Wii U VC), Metroid: Samus Returns

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

ThanosReXXX

@Tyranexx Yep, I can completely go along with that assessment, so 100% agreed.
And congratulations on finally having 21st century internet...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

HobbitGamer

I couldn’t resist. You all know I have to say silly things for entertainment, like the awkward bachelor uncle at family dinners.

@Tyranexx I had that dilemma with my amiibo, as well. I almost don’t want to give my friend her gift now so that I’ll have another boxed haha. Oh, and the store also had two OoT adult Link, but I didn’t cave. (Why didn’t I cave 😭)

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic