Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 35,381 to 35,400 of 96,483

Heavyarms55

@NotTelevision Battlestar isn't exactly short, so I can understand that. But definitely keep it on your list, you wont regret it!

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

HobbitGamer

Look, we all know that Space Cases is the superior sci-fi show. Let’s just admit it openly.

I’ll go back in my hole now.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

bimmy-lee

@NintendoByNature - I got a lot of mileage out of the Species movies back in the day. As good or better than anything they were showing on Skinamax. There’s a chance I would have allowed alien Natasha Henstridge to eat me for dinner assuming I would have gotten my moment before she went all alien praying mantis. It was a trade off I would have at least considered. Splice was hilarious. I’ve watched that one a couple times

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

ThanosReXXX

Ah... All this talk about sci-fi movies and series. I've known and loved SO many, it's hard to select just one that stands out. I'm going to mull it over a bit more, and then come out with a short list, or maybe even two, separating movies and TV series, or maybe I just won't bother, in an attempt to hold up the shroud of mystery that still surrounds my real life persona...

@bimmy-lee "....who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn"

Haha, yeah. That's something that also always ever so slightly annoys me, although I do obviously want the heroes to win with as few losses as possible, but this is of course not something that's isolated and/or exclusive to Star Wars. I'd say it's pretty safe to come to the conclusion that this is just how Hollywood bad guys are supposed to work, whether in movies or TV series. In reality, they can make serious dents in law enforcement/good guy initiatives, and sometimes even win. Just look at the cartels in Mexico. These guys don't make jokes, and they definitely know how to level a barn, so to speak.

So, having said that, I'll just leave this here: #hollywoodgoons

@Heavyarms55 Yeah, I can imagine your annoyance/frustration, if you're so far invested into the entire universe of it, so fair enough. And as one of the reigning kings of text walls, I'm very much used to putting up or having to read an extra paragraph or two, three so you never have to apologize for that. I read it all without trouble, and with interest. Always informative to get to know other people's viewpoints, long as they're actually willing to explain it, instead of just going against the grain for the sake of it, or to be the opposing faction.

@NintendoByNature Oh my God, yes! Species... (heheheheheh... )

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NEStalgia

@Heavyarms55 BSG fan here. I never got back to watching it again, but it was a fantastic series, absolutely. Also agreed on SW expanded universe. I still hold that while the original trilogy is just classic, most of the SW moves are pure disposable garbage, games like Rogue Squadron were more engaging, but Bioware/Obsidian made me actually care about SW...briefly....it made me even watch the second trilogy again....and like it....briefly. But I ultimately realized Kotr/KotrII is a far, far better world and story than the actual movies. If the Bioware Obsidian Microsoft team could just write all the future SW movies, things will be great.

@Zuljaras "Farscape"
This, everyone, is a real man. There's not a day I can play my Project Scorpio Edition XBox One and not see Harvey in my mind......

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Zuljaras Muppets, S&M attire, and ever-sardonic Claudia Black. What's not to love? If @ThanosReXXX wasn't familiar with it before...which he probably was...I'm sure he is now!

Maybe with the Dark Crystal revival, Farscape will get a revival as well? It deserves it! Though you could never recreate it without the original cast....I don't know how they'd even attempt a sequel.

Explaining what a Space Shuttle is to kids today though may be a challenge....

NEStalgia

Zuljaras

@NEStalgia "Explaining what a Space Shuttle is to kids today though may be a challenge.... "

It would be event harder to tell them that certain transport ships in the series could mate and give birth to little transport ships. Or even little battle ships … Damn that was a nice twist!

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Not familiar with it? Massive Claudia Black fan, and good old Ben wasn't too shabby either...
When we're talking sci-fi, you simply HAVE to remember that you're talking to a guy who laps up practically ALL of it, good, mediocre or downright bad. I've seen it at least once, and sometimes multiple times.

P.S.

You forgot the "r" in the last word of that last sentence...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Haha, I figured you were familiar with it But it's "underground" enough (dons black horn-rimed hipster glasses ironically) that there was a chance you might not...not too many folks are!

Aww...Challenger... Stupid management....

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Well, underground or not, over here, it was broadcasted three times, on one of the largest commercial channels we've got. First time obviously as a premiere, and the subsequent two times either in Saturday/Sunday afternoon weekend re-runs or late Saturday night re-runs, so there's actually quite a few people in this little country, that will know about it. A lot of people over here like sci-fi, so you eat up whatever you're able to get on TV, especially when we're talking about the pre-Netflix days.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Huh, that's interesting. Here it was banished to the lowest dregs of paid cable, and never heard from again....Seems like it was a bigger deal there than here where most people had never even heard of it, even while it was on.

Netflix....I still think of them as little red DVD envelopes...

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Red envelopes make me think of the Wii Letterbomb...

NintendoByNature

@bimmy-lee species may have been my first exposure to lady parts lol. It was such a long time ago.
@ThanosReXXX it's definitely a classic. I might even rewatch it in the near future.

NintendoByNature

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia To elaborate on the situation over here, which might give you more of an insight:
This channel also broadcasted most of the Star Trek shows, and usually on similar time slots, so once those were either done or temporarily gone, due to seasonal breaks, the voids were usually also filled by similar shows or programs, and so I got to know Farscape. I've always had this frame of mind of try before you say you don't like it, and I possess a natural curiosity to the new, so I'm usually quite open-minded in that regard.

So, although I was kinda sad that another season of a Star Trek show had ended, and that I had to wait at least 4 or 5 months for another to start, I was always curious as to what would temporarily take its place, and always willing to give it a try. And the first episode already got me hooked, so yeah, definitely a great show, and I was sad when it ended.

Some other sci-fi series that I got to know because they started as "Star Trek replacement/filler series", were Babylon 5, Firefly, Andromeda, Lexx, Space - Above & Beyond, Mutant X, Cleopatra 2525, Dark Angel, FFWD, Total Recall and probably quite a few others, that I can't remember right now.

One annoying thing about it, though: if you either know or look up some of these shows, you'll see that except for a small handful of them, most were short-lived and cancelled after two or three seasons. And even though the Dutch network knew this, they still bought the series from American, Canadian or British channels, probably because canceled shows are cheap and nice, short fillers for when their main series is temporarily off the air...

The main downside of that was that I got to REALLY like some of these shows, only to see them end in a cliff hanger, or not even have any kind of ending at all, and never being any the wiser about it. Well, at least: not until the internet finally offered me an option to find out about these shows and the reasons they were canceled, sometimes also offering a decent enough explanation of the final episodes and/or even offering scripts to tie open ends from the creators themselves.

Grumblevolcano

Fallout 1st is a newly announced premium membership for Fallout 76 with the pricing being $12.99 a month or $99.99 a year. This game somehow manages to become even more of a joke.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic