Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 34,981 to 35,000 of 35,360

Ryu_Niiyama

@NintendoByNature How did the company sell themselves to you? Companies often forget that the interview goes both ways. They can't expect the best talent if they don't have the best culture. Either way Congrats on the option presented to you!

My company lost half the dev team because the manager was a terrible person...so they waited until everybody quit to fire him, even though people had complained.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

StableInvadeel

@Ryu_Niiyama to be fair European and Latin American Spanish are very different, one of my cousins who visited Spain said he had an easier time talking to them in English*. I just tried to think of places that start with A 😅

*It’s worth mentioning he was raised and lives in Arizona, so he has that extra layer of Spanglish to himself, so it definitely didn’t help communications.

Edited on by StableInvadeel

Invading your ranch, taking your cows.

My dead channel.

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

HobbitGamer

The dusty office set off my allergies bad this morning. Throat tightness, the works. Asked my cohort for an antihistamine, all she had was nighttime medicine. I took both pills. Two hours later, and I’m feeling wonderful.
Dave’s not here, man...

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

NintendoByNature

@Ryu_Niiyama great point, a few of them sold it to me, however, 2 of them did not, for reasons mentioned previously. I despise micro managing and that's what i feel this is going to be. A boat load of micro managing. I'm not the most seasoned guy at my job. But between 2 companies, all I've done is outside sales for 12 years. I think I know how to manage my Territory and daily schedule. They however have their own way which comes in a form that I'm not fond of. I guess I'll wait to see the actual offer before I dive too deep.

NintendoByNature

Ryu_Niiyama

@StableInvadeel Oh gosh I'm in AZ now myself, I completely understand. There are a few different Latin heritage groupings here (PR, Cuban, Mexican, Mexi-American...which I feel it totally different than pure mexican, DR are the ones I've met...) so the Spanglish is all over the place here.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

ThanosReXXX

@Ryu_Niiyama Ah, so you're holding yourself to high standards and more or less expect the same from others, if I interpreted that correctly. Well, I can in part also relate to that, but on the other hand, being highly empathic as well, I can also (more easily) let go of certain expectations that I might have from other people. Not everyone is a (multi-)linguist or technical marvel, so far as I'm concerned, I shouldn't realistically expect every single person I come across to be completely flawless and completely in the know about any and all things on this Earth.

Heck, none of us are, so that's a WAY too high and unrealistic expectation, and it only creates needless irritation and an unnecessary waste of precious energy and positive feelings on your part, so why even put yourself through that? They won't change, more than likely, and most people certainly don't like to be pushed or corrected, so that again only creates negative energy that ultimately harms you the most, since they won't care either way, other than possibly thinking of you like a grammar Nazi or something similarly complimentary...

So, in short: be as hard for yourself as you like or need to be, but please do yourself a massive favor and don't blame other people for possibly not having similar high standards or applying the same diligence that you do to yourself and the things in your life. It largely leads nowhere other than to unnecessary negativity. After all: we're only human, and people tend to make mistakes every now and then, mostly harmless ones, but it is exactly that which makes us human, and personally, I kinda prefer it that way.

Some things we do and say are certainly worth improving upon, but not too much, because a perfect world would, in my personal view, be endlessly boring...

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Ryu_Niiyama

@ThanosReXXX I have to still expect people to attempt to better themselves otherwise why get up in the morning? We have reason and supposedly empathy yet we still prefer to be base and rude (and this is coming from an introvert that considers herself to be wholly lacking in empathy...objectively I know that isn't true, I'm very loyal and I go out of my way to be polite if not always kind but I'm practical and value logic over emotion as much as possible). That isn't a "high" standard at all (I detest the implication of that phrase) it is the least that we should do in my opinion. Goodness, manners, kindness and honor (seriously, nobody's word is worth anything now) shouldn't be a high standard...it should be the default. Humans wish to be classified as special animals...then act like it.

Awareness and observation are a part of my aikido journey as much as positive ki; you can't guard against negative ki if you ignore it or if you pretend that it's ok just because others want to mire themselves in it. It isn't like I obsess over what others do, rather I remind myself I don't want to be like that and push myself harder.

Perfection is a life long pursuit and one worthy of undertaking. I want when I die, I was the best woman that I could have been. The pursuit of Perfection (of honesty, respect, intelligence and grace) doesn't mean that you don't make mistakes but rather that you learn from them and endeavor to never repeat them, in doing so you constantly grow. I will never understand the thought that right thinking, right living will ever result in stagnation; you are your greatest opponent and you will face that opponent until you die, nothing stagnant at all about that. Still, your way is your own, and mine is my own. I shall continue on my own path.

EDIT: I have to say I'm not feeling the new Samsho OST...something is very off. I think it is the taiko and fue, they all sound very flat and artificial.

Also tomorrow is National Chocolate Milkshake day in the US...hmm I wonder if any of the local restaurants are giving them away.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

ThanosReXXX

@NintendoByNature Well, that's another battle won, then. Most important tip I could give you is to not focus too much on being able to work with nice people, but on options, opportunities and professionalism and/or team spirit (aka what's in it for you, especially in the long run). I've worked with plenty of, shall we say "less courteous" people in my day, as a sales & marketing team manager, and ultimately, the kind people that I came across were a nice diversion, but most of them were either too soft for the job, or were trying to hard to be liked by everyone, which actually affected both their and other people's work ethos.

I rather have a colleague that's tough as nails and knows what to do, when to do it and within the expected time frame, all while not being overly social or likeable, than someone that is very likeable and has either less or nearly none of these qualities.

But as mentioned earlier, what your possibilities are within that company, that's what's most important, so if there's still an opportunity or some wiggle room in the negotiations to find out the following, then be sure to do so (if you haven't done it already):

Are you basically always going to stay the same cog in the machine, with the occasional pay raise, or are there also multiple opportunities/paths for personal growth? And don't accept any empty promises either. A lot of companies that are eager to real someone in, for whatever reason(s) on their part, will often times be all too quick to reply any questions pertaining to these things with a "yes, of course" or "yes, absolutely" and worst of all: the double yes.

The latter is a rather nervous and ambiguous one. For simplicity's sake, let's just say that two yes'es cancel each other out, meaning that either the answer is up in the air and they can't really tell you (yet), or there simply isn't any opportunity for growth to speak off, and they just want to keep that from you until they've cemented their contract with you, and you're unable to leave for the next couple of years...

On a side note: perhaps needless to say, but be sure to do or say any of that in your own words, otherwise it'll come across as decidedly alien/not you, or from someone who's reading from an auto-cue...

@Ryu_Niiyama Sure, in a Utopian, idealistic world, we can expect all people to always be and/or try to become the best person they can be, but that simply isn't a realistic view, unfortunately. But I would never, and I do mean NEVER let that faze me or make me loathe getting out of bed in the morning. I can't control other people or what they do, I'm only in control of myself and what I do, and/or over the parts of my life that I can personally have any actual influence in.

So, we're indeed only responsible for and can only take care of what we ourselves do and say, which is basically what I was also getting at in my previous comment. If someone neglects to do something, or does something bad, I can curse and swear, verbally or physically attack that person, or berate him/her in hopes of making them see the error of their ways, or I can simply maneuver around the problem, and leave it up to them, without spending my own precious energy by investing (too much of) my time on it.

Oh, and I meant the high standards thing in the most positive way: I too believe in being the best me I can be, so we very much agree on that part, but on the other hand, I don't believe in perfection, or at least not as in someone or something being a 100% or more of something or at something. Sure, people get straight A's at certain disciplines, but that's only every so often, and only in one or a small handful of disciplines. To be human, is to be inherently flawed, and in quite a few ways. And that's nothing to be annoyed about, it's just the way it is. And I also don't think that it's worth being annoyed with the rest of humanity over, although every so often, I do wish that the asteroid would come and hit us, sooner than later, but that's only on a bad day, and shows that even I am just (an ever so slightly flawed) human...

But besides that, and I don't know if that's specifically a martial arts thing or not, although I like to think it's just me as a person, I also strife for awareness, mindfulness, honesty, good manners and respect. Although in my view, the latter should not be given freely: it has to be deserved, either by experience, reputation/station or deeds/achievements.

On a side note: so, you're simply expecting to walk into restaurants to pick up your free milkshake, huh?

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Ryu_Niiyama

@ThanosReXXX Utopias are built. Ideals are potential that humanity has not realized yet. But the work still needs to be done. You and I tend to speak at opposing angles most of the time so I'll not turn this into a text wall.

Well I'm sure the milkshake will require some other purchase but I can buy a small fry if that nets me a milkshake. Free food is free food.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

ThanosReXXX

@Ryu_Niiyama Well, I don't feel like we're all that opposite, because I agree with a lot of what you say. I just tend to be a bit more lenient towards people and factors that I can't have any control over, and I don't want to spend my own precious time and energy worrying about that, or getting annoyed or even angry about it, because it really serves no purpose, other than having various detrimental effects to my own life.

That's basically all that I was trying to get across in the previous two text walls. Maybe I even feel like you're either a little too hard on yourself, and/or for the rest of humanity. And I'm really sorry, but even though any kind of Utopia is a nice idea, looking at how the world works and fares, it simply isn't achievable by any imaginable means, at least not within any of our lifetimes. And I'm not about to go to work for someone else's lifetime. In that respect, I may have my own flaw of being a bit too selfish.

I'll do my damnedest to be the best me I can be, as you do, but I'm not going to help, instruct or berate anyone else on how to do the same: it's all up to them, and I take neither the blame nor the pain for it.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Tyranexx

I got to try my first-ever VR experience with a modified HTC Vive yesterday evening. It was a fun (though mildly disorienting) experience. I got to walk on a plank at the top of a highrise (with a real plank provided to walk on IRL) just to grab a few donuts. XD

Unfortunately my health went downhill shortly after the presentation that included that experience ended, so I went straight home (driving is horrible at night when your eyes are sensitive to light), did some things around home that needed to be done, and turned in early before my bad headache became an all-out migraine. It had been percolating on and off all day, and it didn't help that some of the facility was quite dry; my eyes are still pretty susceptible to dryness at this stage post-surgery, and stupid me thought I wouldn't be there long enough to need eye drops until I got home.

Ryu_Niiyama wrote:

I don't understand the current opinion that being crass is more realistic/honest/natural, if your natural personality is to insult and belittle others and hide behind "it's my sense of humor, don't judge me" or curse at work, I really want nothing to do with you. (I mean you wouldn't say those things to our investors usually ...I know that the suits are usually the worst behind closed doors.)

THANK YOU! I was raised to treat others how I'd like to be treated in kind. Thankfully in my case, my team of (mostly) guys is small enough and sensible enough to not be too crass. There's a bit of swearing sometimes, but as long as it isn't near The Hangover levels, I can deal. There's some good-natured heckling sometimes, but nothing that I'd ever call bullying. Tbh I my experiences, I'd rather work with mostly guys over females any day.

One of the sales guys that we share our space with is a bit of a chauvinist, but thankfully he's not in often and has mellowed out a bit over time.

@NintendoByNature Sounds promising! Don't rush into your decision, particularly if you have any misgivings.

I do agree that guy sounds pretty unprofessional, particularly in a formal-sounding interview environment. I'm normally a benefit of the doubt person as I don't know what someone is going through at any given time, but that would've come off as rude to me as well.

In any case, congrats on scoring an offer!

Video Corner: How SM3DW Actually Started (language)
Currently playing: Dragon Quest IV (DS; post-game)

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

Ryu_Niiyama

@Tyranexx I hope you are feeling better. I know full well the ordeal of driving when photosensitive.

My current job is the closest I've been to working with more women (my boss, VP and the senior BAs are all female) but the infrastructure team and my loudmouth coworker are men. I'm sure working with women has its own issues (and since I'm not hetero I'm sure I'll have to deal with hearing about men all day, the same way I have to hear about women from my male coworkers) but I'd like to try it just once. I will say I'm happy that many of the programming/SQL mentors I have found out here are female. Gives me hope for the future...I'm still the lone African American though in work and all of my hobbies lol...but I'm used to that. Of course it's not really that we don't do that kind of work, I just tend to end up in cities where I'm seriously the minority.

However, manners are a dying thing and we live in a world that doesn't care about that happening (but whines about PC every 5 seconds. If your first response isn't to say something rude or demeaning you don't have to worry about somebody wanting to be treated with respect...I mean large air quotes "policing your free speech and getting triggered". People exhaust me.) so I suppose I'll clutch to my "traditional" views until I shuffle off the mortal coil.

Edit: Ok I have to stop posting and closing tickets at the same time. Word salad.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

HobbitGamer

@Ryu_Niiyama I’m the only male in exec/administration except for the two IT dept employees. I can think of less than ten other males of our 500 employees.

It doesn’t matter what bits people have, sucky people suck 😂

Also, I’m sure McD’s would have free milkshakes....if their machines worked badum pshhh

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Ryu_Niiyama

@HobbitGamer While that is true. What bits you have change how you are socialized. And thus the conversations that you have. Common ground is common ground. Plus sometimes I get tired of the testosterone fest. I doubt I'll end up in an all female team until I'm much older as STEM keeps making a push for for the mindshare of girls and women. I'll be in research by then and mostly a hermit anyway.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Heavyarms55

@HobbitGamer That milkshake thing is accurate though - back before I swore off McDonald's when I was in university my roommate and I must have gone to the local one 5 times in a row only to find their machines broken. lol

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx
Feel free to add me

HobbitGamer

@Ryu_Niiyama Oh, I agree with that. Different strokes for potatoes and all that.
The general thing is, as you said, everyone knows how to be pleasant and they should do it more. It’s far more effort to get worked up about things, too. Even if I dislike someone, I show them a baseline respect everyone gets. We’re all in this together 😂
Southern raised here

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Ryu_Niiyama

@HobbitGamer Fellow southerner (NC). So glad the platinum rule isn't dead for some of us.

I get my milkshakes from Arby's...

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

HobbitGamer

@Ryu_Niiyama Cool, I lived in Winston for a spell when I was little. Most of mom’s side lives between there and Bastion WV.
I’ve never really been a milkshake fan, too much milk at once bothers me. But I’ve enjoyed Arby’s’.

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

bimmy-lee

Inconsiderate people and workplace jerks don’t come in sexes, races, or creeds. They just are. We’ve all been jerks, and we’ve all been inconsiderate. Some people make a habit out of it. My business partner is a woman, and we’re a perfect combo for our business and when we need help (time off) in our personal lives. Nothing is weird. It’s just honest conversation, recognition of our strengths and weaknesses, and respect.

bimmy-lee

My Nintendo: RedNestor

SheldonRandoms

Some haunted place are looking for a big male to play Jason, if I do get the part, that'll be a perfect excuse to get a new phone (my current one can hardly contain Pokemon GO updates. Also, the friend who is a girl still never hatched a Riolu to evolve into a Lucario to name it after me : ( )

I have plenty of experience playing as Jason in the Friday the 13th game, I love to party with the other camp counselors as we run around in circles, hopefully it's the same Jason role.

Also for any OGs, YEEah, I also played the NES one, so hopefully I can rev up the purple and blue version if I rev up the role.

NL's #1 kangaroo fan of SpongeBob Squarepants and Ristar!

Aren't LUCARIO's paws adorable? (MOAR adorable than all of the Eevee'z)

Rev up those fryers! MY LEG!

Also created Sheldon & Mr. Randoms on flipnote hatena, it was a series which I MADE!

I'M SwElLtAsTiC!

Switch Friend Code: SW-2240-6609-5332 | 3DS Friend Code: 5429-9754-3617 | Nintendo Network ID: SheldonRandoms

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic