Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 34,961 to 34,980 of 96,530

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee Well, seeing as I've reacted kinda late to your question, most of the options have already been given by other people. Personally, I never minded any of the fighting mechanics in those older games, whether they would be truly turn-based or some mix of turn-based and action with random encounters.

And besides that, and perhaps more important in my case: it's been so long ago since I played them, that I don't even know that much about them anymore, other than the fact that I did like them, and that I lost interest in the series once they moved towards ever larger and more realistic cut scenes and worlds.

For me, there's something magical about the classic RPG's in general, even though I do like several current series, Dragon Quest definitely being one of them, as well as the Tales series, maybe it's their very nature, of being rather simplistic in style and grandeur, or scope, but that does allow more input from the players themselves.

I'd almost liken it to a book where, regardless of sometimes pretty elaborately described characters, you'll still be able to use much of your own imagination to visualize people and locations, and with 2D art, you can pretty much do the same, imagining how it would look in 3D or in a real world setting. So, kinda like padding out the story, characters and setting to match your own views/expectations.

But having said all that, don't mistake me for saying that 2D/classic RPG's are limited or less than modern day ones. Some are absolutely stellar, and others maybe aren't as stellar, but are still just a dream to play for fans of the genre.

For the SNES or SNES Mini, you'll want to get a hold of the translated versions of the SNES Fire Emblem games, and other SNES RPG's/RPG series I liked and which might be worth looking into, are Breath of Fire, Secret of Mana, Trials of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma, Lufia, Star Ocean, Bahamut Lagoon, Ys, Shadow Run, Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre and Front Mission.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

ThanosReXXX

@Anti-Matter Psst... I'd rather have a thank you or at the very least an acknowledgment for my insect light recommendations, that I looked up earlier, especially for you...

As for that RPG: I like the SNES style part of it, but not that fake PS2/GameCube style. Other than that, I already have more than enough games to play, and if you have read the rest of the conversation, then you might have understood that the recommendations for RPG's are supposed to go to @bimmy-lee, NOT to me. Currently, I'm not really looking for new RPG's to play.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

BruceCM

Definitely with Chrono Trigger, @ThanosReXXX .... Star Ocean 1st Departure is getting a remaster for Switch &, presumably, 2nd Evolution will follow in due course

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

NEStalgia

@Anti-Matter I love when games play with the idea of cross-generational graphics. That Ninja Gaiden tribute did something similar with NES/SNES eras. But that "new" era part reminds me of Tokyo RPG Factory games, and that instantly turns me off. Their games feel like I'm staring into a void of someone who's never actually played an RPG. Ok, that applies to most things Square does these days other than DQ.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@bimmy-lee FF is weird. It's not often a true turn based game. The old ones were, but they started moving to ATB long long ago, where it's turn-based but with a real-time element. And of course 15 is just an action game.

NEStalgia

Tyranexx

When did the FF series start moving towards ATB? I have IV (DS) and VI backlogged but would like to try the newer ones eventually.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

NEStalgia

I mean, ATB is still turn based, but turn based with a chess timer, more or less. You don't forfeit your turn if you act too slow. You just die horribly.

NEStalgia

Tyranexx

Dang, earlier than I thought then. XD I thought I'd read that the system didn't really come into its own until later games.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

NEStalgia

If it makes you feel better, the hair gets spikier as you go.

NEStalgia

BruceCM

Anyone really wanting old-style turm-based should play the 3 Tactics spin-offs....

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia wrote:

You don't forfeit your turn if you act too slow. You just die horribly.

Well, I'm pretty sure that dying horribly can probably quite easily be seen as the ultimate version of forfeiting a turn...

Ninfan

Can I download nintendo wiiware games anywhere

Ninfan

Anti-Matter

Ninfan wrote:

Can I download nintendo wiiware games anywhere

No, you cannot purchase Wii Ware games from Wii shop anymore.
It has been discontinued by Nintendo.

Anti-Matter

HobbitGamer

@Link-Hero Ugh, that’s unfortunate dood. Glad it’s been sorted somewhat quickly.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

ThanosReXXX

@Anti-Matter Oh, Anti... when will you ever learn? As per usual, you completely misunderstood.
He's asking about downloads from anywhere. He never asked about the eShop.

Oh, and no thanks, man. You're VERY welcome. Glad to be of help with your mosquito problem...

@Ninfan Obviously, we can't link you to any online download sources, but there's plenty around where you can still find loads of them. Just Google "download Wiiware" or "Wiiware WADs" and you'll find plenty. Alternatively, if you're used to and/or familiar with BitTorrent, you could also use a Torrent Search Engine to find links to Wiiware downloads.

However, keep in mind that you'll only be able to use them on a hard- or softmodded Wii or Wii U, and also keep in mind that you should ONLY download and install Wiiware that's either from your own region, or that explicitly states that it's region free. If you install European Wiiware on an American system or the other way around, you will brick your Wii/vWii on Wii U.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

NintendoByNature

@Link-Hero no prob. Only if you're willing. I hope everyone is ok otherwise i can do without any sad or gruesome details.

NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

@Link-Hero at least youre ok. It could be worse. Nothing is more of an inconvenience than an accident. Even if it's minor.

NintendoByNature

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic