Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 34,941 to 34,960 of 36,566

HobbitGamer

@NintendoByNature I just saw them at the gas station on the way home; clearance for $0.50. I’m gonna stock up on the remaining dozen tomorrow.

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Heavyarms55

@NintendoByNature While I can kinda sympathize with an interviewer if he has had to deal with dozens or perhaps even hundreds or applicants - what you describe is extremely unprofessional sounding. Although they might be testing you to see how you react to that sort of thing.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx
Feel free to add me
Edelgard profile pic credit to the amazing: https://roselph.tumblr.com/

RedderRugfish

@Anti-Matter No, the boys get to be jesters instead.

Mario Maker 2: JN2-5GV-VTF
Latest Level: The Mario Repair Shop 361-D5D-1CG

bimmy-lee

@NintendoByNature - Glad it went well, and it’s in the rear view mirror. Hope you hear what you want from them. The guy who’s too important and busy to open up thank you/follow up emails is an idiot. Other than the sit down interview, correspondence like that might be the next most important bit of evidence for evaluating talent. At any rate, great experience for you, well done.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

Anti-Matter

Our country Indonesia is mourning due to Mr B.J.Habibie, former 3rd Indonesia President has passed away on his age 83 years old this evening.
I got the news just now from my smartphone 30 minutes ago.
My condolences for his family to stay strong...

Our country Indonesia will mourning and fly the flag at half staff from 12 - 14 September 2019. 😔

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

ThanosReXXX

@Tyranexx I can definitely imagine...

@NintendoByNature Congrats on getting the first part out of the way. Here's hoping the second half will also agree with you. Good luck.

@Ryu_Niiyama Haha, I can definitely relate to being slightly annoyed by people slapping an extra s on a word that doesn't need one, being reasonably well versed in certain Asian terms, as a former martial artist myself. But on the other hand, I can also alleviate my annoyance pretty quickly, because I understand and accept that not every average Joe or Jane on the street knows about martial arts and/or the words and institutions that go along with it, so what it basically comes down to, is ignorance, and I can't really blame people for not knowing words they don't have the slightest inkling of an idea about.

It would almost be the same as other people blaming me for mispronouncing words or statements that relate to nuclear fusion or higher mathematics.

P.S.

I think I can safely assume that by AA you mean African American? Or is it Asian?

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Ryu_Niiyama

@ThanosReXXX I'm African American. I as an aspiring astrophysicist (Why is American education so expensive?! I'd be done by now otherwise...just, kill me.) still get annoyed when people mess that stuff up too (lol, and here you thought you picked an example that I wouldn't go..."well actually..."). We have super computers in our pockets. Google it or don't say anything; ignorance does not exist in the modern world, only apathy and laziness. My annoyance about the language missteps is that I am a hobbyist linguist and translator. I try to ignore the things that others do as much as possible and I try not to make those lapses in diligence myself. I tend to be a hard taskmistress on myself.

Edit: I'm certain that if I was an Asian American I would have picked a different username to show my respect for Seiryu and Shiho Niiyama as well as my love for Street Fighter.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Ryu_Niiyama

@StableInvadeel Isn't that a breed of horse? (I know its a region in..Spain I believe but do they call themselves that?) Please tell me you aren't calling me a horse...it's too early in the morning for me to have to quit the internet for the day.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Ryu_Niiyama

@StableInvadeel Cool, wasn't sure if they called themselves that. Of course I'm sure you would be well aware I have no Latin heritage otherwise I would have spoken to you in Spanish at some point by now, lol.

Edit: Interesting, it is always fun to learn the new names that people give others. Japan vs Nippon being a prime example.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

NintendoByNature

@ThanosReXXX Thanks, quick update. The gentleman who set the whole thing up and I actually really like, said I won the day(over the 2nd applicant who came in just after me) and they'll be extending an offer to me. Not sure how i feel about them just yet though.

NintendoByNature

Ryu_Niiyama

@NintendoByNature How did the company sell themselves to you? Companies often forget that the interview goes both ways. They can't expect the best talent if they don't have the best culture. Either way Congrats on the option presented to you!

My company lost half the dev team because the manager was a terrible person...so they waited until everybody quit to fire him, even though people had complained.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

StableInvadeel

@Ryu_Niiyama to be fair European and Latin American Spanish are very different, one of my cousins who visited Spain said he had an easier time talking to them in English*. I just tried to think of places that start with A 😅

*It’s worth mentioning he was raised and lives in Arizona, so he has that extra layer of Spanglish to himself, so it definitely didn’t help communications.

Edited on by StableInvadeel

Invading your ranch, taking your cows.

My dead channel.

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

HobbitGamer

The dusty office set off my allergies bad this morning. Throat tightness, the works. Asked my cohort for an antihistamine, all she had was nighttime medicine. I took both pills. Two hours later, and I’m feeling wonderful.
Dave’s not here, man...

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

NintendoByNature

@Ryu_Niiyama great point, a few of them sold it to me, however, 2 of them did not, for reasons mentioned previously. I despise micro managing and that's what i feel this is going to be. A boat load of micro managing. I'm not the most seasoned guy at my job. But between 2 companies, all I've done is outside sales for 12 years. I think I know how to manage my Territory and daily schedule. They however have their own way which comes in a form that I'm not fond of. I guess I'll wait to see the actual offer before I dive too deep.

NintendoByNature

Ryu_Niiyama

@StableInvadeel Oh gosh I'm in AZ now myself, I completely understand. There are a few different Latin heritage groupings here (PR, Cuban, Mexican, Mexi-American...which I feel it totally different than pure mexican, DR are the ones I've met...) so the Spanglish is all over the place here.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

ThanosReXXX

@Ryu_Niiyama Ah, so you're holding yourself to high standards and more or less expect the same from others, if I interpreted that correctly. Well, I can in part also relate to that, but on the other hand, being highly empathic as well, I can also (more easily) let go of certain expectations that I might have from other people. Not everyone is a (multi-)linguist or technical marvel, so far as I'm concerned, I shouldn't realistically expect every single person I come across to be completely flawless and completely in the know about any and all things on this Earth.

Heck, none of us are, so that's a WAY too high and unrealistic expectation, and it only creates needless irritation and an unnecessary waste of precious energy and positive feelings on your part, so why even put yourself through that? They won't change, more than likely, and most people certainly don't like to be pushed or corrected, so that again only creates negative energy that ultimately harms you the most, since they won't care either way, other than possibly thinking of you like a grammar Nazi or something similarly complimentary...

So, in short: be as hard for yourself as you like or need to be, but please do yourself a massive favor and don't blame other people for possibly not having similar high standards or applying the same diligence that you do to yourself and the things in your life. It largely leads nowhere other than to unnecessary negativity. After all: we're only human, and people tend to make mistakes every now and then, mostly harmless ones, but it is exactly that which makes us human, and personally, I kinda prefer it that way.

Some things we do and say are certainly worth improving upon, but not too much, because a perfect world would, in my personal view, be endlessly boring...

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Ryu_Niiyama

@ThanosReXXX I have to still expect people to attempt to better themselves otherwise why get up in the morning? We have reason and supposedly empathy yet we still prefer to be base and rude (and this is coming from an introvert that considers herself to be wholly lacking in empathy...objectively I know that isn't true, I'm very loyal and I go out of my way to be polite if not always kind but I'm practical and value logic over emotion as much as possible). That isn't a "high" standard at all (I detest the implication of that phrase) it is the least that we should do in my opinion. Goodness, manners, kindness and honor (seriously, nobody's word is worth anything now) shouldn't be a high standard...it should be the default. Humans wish to be classified as special animals...then act like it.

Awareness and observation are a part of my aikido journey as much as positive ki; you can't guard against negative ki if you ignore it or if you pretend that it's ok just because others want to mire themselves in it. It isn't like I obsess over what others do, rather I remind myself I don't want to be like that and push myself harder.

Perfection is a life long pursuit and one worthy of undertaking. I want when I die, I was the best woman that I could have been. The pursuit of Perfection (of honesty, respect, intelligence and grace) doesn't mean that you don't make mistakes but rather that you learn from them and endeavor to never repeat them, in doing so you constantly grow. I will never understand the thought that right thinking, right living will ever result in stagnation; you are your greatest opponent and you will face that opponent until you die, nothing stagnant at all about that. Still, your way is your own, and mine is my own. I shall continue on my own path.

EDIT: I have to say I'm not feeling the new Samsho OST...something is very off. I think it is the taiko and fue, they all sound very flat and artificial.

Also tomorrow is National Chocolate Milkshake day in the US...hmm I wonder if any of the local restaurants are giving them away.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

ThanosReXXX

@NintendoByNature Well, that's another battle won, then. Most important tip I could give you is to not focus too much on being able to work with nice people, but on options, opportunities and professionalism and/or team spirit (aka what's in it for you, especially in the long run). I've worked with plenty of, shall we say "less courteous" people in my day, as a sales & marketing team manager, and ultimately, the kind people that I came across were a nice diversion, but most of them were either too soft for the job, or were trying to hard to be liked by everyone, which actually affected both their and other people's work ethos.

I rather have a colleague that's tough as nails and knows what to do, when to do it and within the expected time frame, all while not being overly social or likeable, than someone that is very likeable and has either less or nearly none of these qualities.

But as mentioned earlier, what your possibilities are within that company, that's what's most important, so if there's still an opportunity or some wiggle room in the negotiations to find out the following, then be sure to do so (if you haven't done it already):

Are you basically always going to stay the same cog in the machine, with the occasional pay raise, or are there also multiple opportunities/paths for personal growth? And don't accept any empty promises either. A lot of companies that are eager to real someone in, for whatever reason(s) on their part, will often times be all too quick to reply any questions pertaining to these things with a "yes, of course" or "yes, absolutely" and worst of all: the double yes.

The latter is a rather nervous and ambiguous one. For simplicity's sake, let's just say that two yes'es cancel each other out, meaning that either the answer is up in the air and they can't really tell you (yet), or there simply isn't any opportunity for growth to speak off, and they just want to keep that from you until they've cemented their contract with you, and you're unable to leave for the next couple of years...

On a side note: perhaps needless to say, but be sure to do or say any of that in your own words, otherwise it'll come across as decidedly alien/not you, or from someone who's reading from an auto-cue...

@Ryu_Niiyama Sure, in a Utopian, idealistic world, we can expect all people to always be and/or try to become the best person they can be, but that simply isn't a realistic view, unfortunately. But I would never, and I do mean NEVER let that faze me or make me loathe getting out of bed in the morning. I can't control other people or what they do, I'm only in control of myself and what I do, and/or over the parts of my life that I can personally have any actual influence in.

So, we're indeed only responsible for and can only take care of what we ourselves do and say, which is basically what I was also getting at in my previous comment. If someone neglects to do something, or does something bad, I can curse and swear, verbally or physically attack that person, or berate him/her in hopes of making them see the error of their ways, or I can simply maneuver around the problem, and leave it up to them, without spending my own precious energy by investing (too much of) my time on it.

Oh, and I meant the high standards thing in the most positive way: I too believe in being the best me I can be, so we very much agree on that part, but on the other hand, I don't believe in perfection, or at least not as in someone or something being a 100% or more of something or at something. Sure, people get straight A's at certain disciplines, but that's only every so often, and only in one or a small handful of disciplines. To be human, is to be inherently flawed, and in quite a few ways. And that's nothing to be annoyed about, it's just the way it is. And I also don't think that it's worth being annoyed with the rest of humanity over, although every so often, I do wish that the asteroid would come and hit us, sooner than later, but that's only on a bad day, and shows that even I am just (an ever so slightly flawed) human...

But besides that, and I don't know if that's specifically a martial arts thing or not, although I like to think it's just me as a person, I also strife for awareness, mindfulness, honesty, good manners and respect. Although in my view, the latter should not be given freely: it has to be deserved, either by experience, reputation/station or deeds/achievements.

On a side note: so, you're simply expecting to walk into restaurants to pick up your free milkshake, huh?

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic