Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 34,201 to 34,220 of 96,481

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee I've also seen people mentioning Ecco as one of the 6-button games, but I never really played that game with real controllers. Only on emulators, but I can't even remember if I did indeed use that many buttons.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

ThanosReXXX

@Octane No, man. That's only valid for homework...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

bimmy-lee

@ThanosReXXX - I played the first Ecco just fine back in the day, but I’m not quite sure about the rest. I don’t remember too many games handicapping the three button controller (just my experience, I’m sure there’s a whole list of games affected), and I always found toggling or hitting multiple button inputs as reasonable workarounds.

Nice description of nuance by the way. Too bad it’s not a more common trait, to be within possession of nuance. It’s a good way to keep one’s own self from appearing ignorant.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee Well, that whole list will probably only come into play when people start adding their own favorite games to the system, but as mentioned before, with the ones currently on there, it's only 3 or maybe 4 titles affected, one of which only semi-affected.

And thanks for the compliment. I'm definitely no stranger to occasionally flying off the handle myself though, and due to my highly empathic nature, I can get quite emotionally involved in things sometimes, especially on a bad day, but I do always try to keep it in check as much as possible, or at the very least be aware of it.

NEStalgia

Oh man, Ecco was the most brutal difficulty curve I can remember in gaming history. That game was purely torture after the beginning. I loved it and hated it in equal measure.

NEStalgia

Tyranexx

@bimmy-lee Sounds like she took the concept of meat shields to heart!

Oh yes, we love learning the names of some customers. Our attraction is set up to where yelling someone's name alerts the surrounding rooms to it, so that increases our own (and sometimes their group's) enjoyment.

I really hope you and your wife range across the border sometime and try some of IL's haunted attractions, but I also understand that's quite a drive. They tend to be a bit spread out once you exit Chicago and its suburbs.

@NEStalgia Camilla seemed rather one-dimensional to me, though keep in mind that I've only experienced one side of Fates's narrative. There really didn't seem to be much past her doting motherliness towards your avatar and their siblings and her weird bloodthirstiness. It was also highly implied that she isn't nearly as "nice" in Birthright.

I'll at least be playing Birthright hopefully before too long to see if that particular narrative adds anything to her character, though I doubt I'll ever get around to Revelation.

+1 for the Office Space reference btw. I really do need to watch the full movie sometime....

@ThanosReXXX That's a pretty accurate description of Anti. I miss out on some of it as I only read the threads and articles that interest me here. I like Anti but do acknowledge his shortcomings that you highlighted.

Honestly, a small handful of other users in the articles rub me the wrong way sometimes (particularly in some of the Pokemon articles of late), but I typically just ignore them and never resort to downvote trolling. More than enough people already flag the precious few inflammatory comments that truly do deserve it anyway.

SkyNet does exist IRL huh? Cue the conspiracy theories, as well as how Armageddon and Ragnarok will commence.... XD

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Ryu_Niiyama

@NEStalgia Ryu is not available for 2 months. Please don't tag her.

However, while I HATE, HATE, HATE Camilia's outfit (the body design is fine, women come in all shapes and I'm a member of the same club, granted the shorty membership so I can't really throw stones aside from she makes my back hurt with that bustiere, seriously support the girls, just do it. When I talk about sexism it is never to shame a woman, just the fact that the only way the male gaze can deem her attractive is in impractical outfits. While the guy is usually fully clothed. I find it hilarious when folks get mad at Anti-Matter's muscled guy obsession when its merely the male gaze turned upon his fellow male. If its ok when its done to a woman, why not let the guys do the same? lololol)

Her character is intriguing. While I know that you can just go "yandere" and leave it at that I think that this literal monster (despite the fact that the game wants you staring at her breasts they don't hide the fact that she is particularly ruthless and has the power to back it up) on the battlefield who like the rest of her siblings were likely abused physically and mentally by their father (pretty sure they are basically higher functioning child soldiers) and yet she adores her siblings, respects/fears? her father (so she finds something decent in him somehow or its how she copes), and will do anything to protect them and her homeland...to the point that losing the affection of her most beloved and non blood sibling drives her to desperation, homicide and really, really close to an almost despondent/suicidal insanity.

While unhealthy as heck I have a slight fascination with characters/personality traits that care for others with such absolute devotion/passion. Add in the fact that she can fall in love with Kamui (which I honestly view less as sexual in its own right and more that she will love Kamui in every way that she is allowed. Speaking from the Ancient Greek viewpoints on the various forms of love, which shape how I view the very separate mindsets that we lump into one word because we are lazy/shallow.) and you have a literal a very loyal, very dangerous kamikaze character on your hands.

(Big Chikane Himemiya fan right here, she made herself into a monster to protect the woman she loved and was very willing to be wished out of existence to make that happen. Captain Kathryn Janeway is another more normalized character with such traits...seriously mess with her crew at your own peril. She committed genocide for crying outloud. Janeway will always go diplomacy first but she has a phaser behind her back if you say no.)

I suspect it is because I exhibit a much more balanced version of these traits due to having a very stringent world view, but I'm just as determined and hold the lives of others very cheaply in weight to those I care about in part because I already have a bit of a hard time telling people apart from an empathy perspective. However my view extends only to people, I hold no such loyalty to the lines people draw on a map. (I especially find American patriotism to be absurd, empty and hyperbolic as well as racist as heck.) Also why Rhea (and a minor version of that would be Catherine) is my new favorite FE character. I expected it to be the Flame Emperor but nope, she is too weak in her convictions imo. Anyway. I'm sure I sparked a reply but seriously please don't... I'm trying to spend this time studying and using english as little as I can get away with. Bye y'all. Pardon the typos...I slammed that out real fast so i can clear my inbox.

Also my dragon quest switch shipped!!!!!

EDIT: My assessment of Camilia is based upon the dialogue and me trying to see why a character is written a certain way. I played Birthright in Japanese originally as well. Not some sort of head cannon that I made up and I resent the implication. If you don't want my opinion, please don't ask for it.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

ThanosReXXX

@Tyranexx Yup, strangely enough (or is it?) it does indeed exist. And CyberDyne is a Japanese company. Considering how far ahead they already are in robotics and such, there's no telling where it'll end up going.

But as long as they're able to imprint the robots with Asimov's three robotic laws, I think I'll still be sleeping relatively comfortably...

NEStalgia

@Tyranexx I'm 50% convinced her character was designed by/as Audrey Drake.

She seems to have a serial killer's sociopathathy flipping between bloodlust and oddly incestuous "nurturing" mode as though there's absolutely no difference between the two in her mind. She's fairly terrifying.

I can't believe Ryu is putting Janeway and Camilla in the same box. That's just not right. Also, now is the time to ridicule and belittle Ryu's opinions while she's not reading. Two months to skewer Ryu with no retaliation, woohoo!

Ryu's just making up head-canon again and redeeming an irredeemable character based on that again. Ignore her. That, or she's still just a fan of Camilla's two huge story arcs.

NEStalgia

BruceCM

NEStalgia wrote:

That, or she's still just a fan of Camilla's two huge story arcs.

That's a new term for them.... ;D

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Ryu_Niiyama

@NEStalgia You don't have to agree with my opinion and my assessment of the character but I'd think it would be common decency to respect it. Especially since you called me out in a conversation that I was not participating in, in the first place. I'll not make that assumption on your part again. Have a nice day.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Aw, man... not the Audrey Drake bashing again...
No offense or anything, but that's REALLY getting old by now. Also couldn't be further from the truth.
She isn't scary at all, at least not to a real man.

But all kidding aside, I don't see any of these maniacal tendencies that you always tend to attribute to her, and believe me: in my line of work, there's plenty of maniacal people to go around, and then some. Audrey doesn't even come close. And I'm talking landslide differences here. Sometimes I almost regret ever having brought up her fairy fountain laugh, which I feel has somehow contributed to the whole "Audrey Drake is a sociopath" idiocy.

I actually find her comical and other than her being someone who speaks her mind and is a bit cheeky here and there, I wouldn't go much further than to simply label her a free spirit, and all it takes to counter/balance a person like that, is an open-minded individual, with two feet firmly planted on the ground, and with a reasonable amount of (self-)confidence.

And of course, we all have different tastes in women, or people, so that's all well and good, but that doesn't mean that just because someone doesn't tick your personal boxes for whatever reason, that the verdict must be that harsh...

TheFrenchiestFry

@ThanosReXXX This is the first time I'm hearing about the gay fantasy stuff

That's actually really concerning. I've seen him get kind of touchy and defensive in regards to certain topics, but now he seems genuinely toxic and slightly predatory now that I'm hearing about this stuff.

I always felt slightly uncomfortable and uneasy seeing his comments on news articles and especially forum posts but now I feel I know why having processed this info.

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

TheFrenchiestFry

@StableInvadeel .....a Nintendo-based discussion forum should not be the place for discussing your tastes in naked men

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

NEStalgia

@Ryu_Niiyama lol, I was deliberately prodding you, assuming you were still quietly reading while pretending not to. This is the silly things thread, not a Pokemon or Smash thread. No srs bsns happens here. No actual ill intent was meant.

Though I'm going to take a long while to forgive the Janeway comparison. I'll take an Ami statue as repayment for that offense if you please.

NEStalgia

HobbitGamer

Anyway. Let’s not kick on folks that aren’t here, yeah? It’s unsportsmanlike. 😁

I’m pseudo-back. Audit prep is fantastic is the most sarcastic way. Everyone scrambling for help with issues they should have already addressed. But at least my cohort and I were able to sneak off for lunch today.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

NEStalgia

Ant does know the site is a catastrophic broken mess right now, right? Not going to ping him assuming he's snack deep in crisis mode right now...

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic