Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 32,921 to 32,940 of 96,305

HobbitGamer

I survived another upload day. Should be done with it all tomorrow. Hopefully. Iโ€™m very tired.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Anti-Matter

@Heavyarms55
I still have plenty of "haven't bought yet" Amiibos. They are some Pokemon Amiibos, Sonic, Fox McCloud, Falco, some Welcome Amiibo cards, etc.

I only buy specific Amiibos for unlocking something or i like the design despite of less usable for my games.

Anti-Matter

Tyranexx

[Insert the usual "Today has been nuts and I'm just now getting to my internet rounds" spheal]

Thank the heavens that tomorrow is FINALLY Friday. It's been a week. No three day weekend like many Americans though. I'll be taking my day off later in September.

@Heavyarms55 Ah, so you were referring more to the reactions/comment sections on a lot of those stories. I still agree; the apathy and insensitivity are quite revolting. It's easy for people who are anonymous (though surprisingly this also happens with those who have their full names on display sometimes) to put out their trolling two cents without any true repercussions. Posting a comment insulting another party or saying X deserved it because of Y and Z is very idiotic.

I also agree with the thought that social media itself isn't toxic; it's toxic people spreading their poison, attracting their ilk (or the polar opposite toxic types on that topic) while simultaneously chasing away any rational discussion between people that have their own opinion on a matter but are afraid they'll get shot down or shut down because "you don't agree with me".

As for the news itself: I don't always expect everything to be sunshine and roses, but the constant doom and gloom about some topics gets pretty wearisome after awhile. Some people unfortunately love misery and the entertainment it provides. I liken it to public executions back in the day.

Two songs come to mind as I'm typing this: Zombie by The Cranberries (I'm more partial to the Bad Wolves version) and UltraNumb by Blue Stahli.

@ThanosReXXX My parent live in a wooded area, so reception is a little hard to come by. The driveway area isn't too far from a more open spot, so you can usually get reception there when the weather conditions are decent. Calling my parents' or siblings' cell phones while they're at home is a guaranteed insta voicemail.

Barring some periods on weekends, their internet is at least functional and is the preferred communication of choice; they're barely in the broadband web for their phone provider, though it's oversold. They have a landline, but they incur a bill on incoming calls before 9 PM. I have to resort to Messenger most of the time.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Heavyarms55

@Anti-Matter Ah, I just liked Amiibo in general and collect any characters I like. Amiibo are pretty reliably high quality and well priced (at least when bought at the price they are supposed to be and not from scalpers) and easy to display. I also collect a lot of similar things. Anime figures, Pokemon plushies and Gundam "Gunpla" model kits. I've had to slow down because I'm running out of space, and, eventually, I am going to have to ship a bunch of these things back home.

@Tyranexx Yeah. Bad things happen, that's just life. It's all the people who relish in it, seek to benefit from it, or even encourage it that really hurts. I don't think it's just the anonymity that encourages the behavior, it's the safety of not being in the room. I think it's the fact that they are hidden away behind a computer screen that encourages them to say something horrible because they know they can get away with it. They also know that they are largely speaking to people they will never meet in real life, the worst thing that will potentially happen is they will get banned from a site that they can just make a new account for.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

HobbitGamer

@Tyranexx It really has been an exceptionally busy week, huh? When halfway through Monday felt like a Wednesday, I shoulda known. At least you can take your day later on. Iโ€™ll be on storm watch. GEMA already put one of our covered counties in a hurricane warning.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Heavyarms55

Okay coworkers? It's kind of important information if the water isn't working in the bathroom! This isn't the kind of thing where you just hope people don't notice!

Tyranexx

@Heavyarms55 I 100% agree with the entirety of your previous post. Like almost everything else, I believe that social media, comment sections, forums, etc. online are merely neutral, mute tools that are either used as intended or are horribly abused by those who wield them.

@HobbitGamer You'd think this week would have flown since I've had more meetings going on than usual, but the last couple of days in particular have been bad. I've felt like I've been stuck in a pocket dimension of perpetual slowness. Today unfortunately wasn't very productive. My hope is to correct that tomorrow. Thankfully I'll be able to take off from work a little early since I'm ahead on time this week.

Good luck! Hopefully Dorian misses, or at least weakens enough to where it isn't much of a threat.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Ninfan

@Heavyarms55 good answer there is 800,000 nintendo life members in newcastle. LOL๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„

Ninfan

MsJubilee

I don't know where to say this on here, but my goodness that recent Joker trailer was fantastic! I hope the final release isn't terrible, this movie shows too much promise to fail.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Assassin's Creed: Revelations & Watch Dogs 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Heavyarms55

@MsJubilee They're making a Joker movie? As in the DC super-villain? Hmm. There hasn't been a live action DC movie that I have liked in years but considering how insanely popular the Joker is, I have to assume they will do their absolute best - the blow back for ruining such a famous character would be extreme.

Heavyarms55

@Zuljaras Well I wouldn't expect anything super natural anyway. Is this part of a larger DC universe? Or did they give up on that?

Zuljaras

@Heavyarms55 I have not seen any other characters beside the Joker.
Actually I hope there is no Batman etc.
But De Niro will play some kind of bad guy mocking the Joker. It will be interesting for sure.

Edited on by Zuljaras

DenDen

Yesss can start astral chain today!!!!

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

gcunit

Tyranexx wrote:

Like almost everything else, I believe that social media, comment sections, forums, etc. online are merely neutral, mute tools that are either used as intended or are horribly abused by those who wield them.

Since making my previous post about social media and societies yadayada... I realised I hadn't made my ultimate point.

It seems so many people have fallen into the trap of putting way, way, WAY too much significance on words.

No-one's ever taken me up on this before when I've tried to make this point on other forums:

I invite anyone here to try and insult/offend me. Send your submissions to [email protected], or @gcunit10 on twitter, if you're worried about site rules here. Use a throwaway email address and a VPN if you like. Nothing you write or say can hurt me or offend me. I've heard most words going and guess what... I can cope with them. Try a death threat if you want. Whatever, go wild. Call me a fanboy if you're hard enough.

'Toxicity' on the internet is, to borrow a word from our lovely UK government, phoney. Anyone that says they're offended by any words is just **** stirring. Doesn't matter if the words are supposedly 'racist', 'homophobic', 'sexist', or anything else. The only people words 'hurt' are the people who don't have the sense to differentiate between words and actions. They're not hurt, they're just stupid.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Zuljaras

@gcunit Only if more people could think like that.

It is really tiring to hear the same stuff over and over again how people are OFFENDED by words.
It actually come to extremes most of the time because people start using phrases like "hate speech" and "verbal violence". And those people do not understand the right of free speech.

bimmy-lee

The Joker trailer is just incredible. It doesnโ€™t appear thereโ€™s any reason to worry that they messed it up. Very much looking forward to this one. It may drag me to the theater for the first time since The Force Awakens.

@Heavyarms55 - I donโ€™t think it was fully intentional, but Aquaman was a hilarious movie. Loved it, and I kind of want to watch it again. It seems like about halfway through filming, they understood what they were actually making and just went with it. I thought the action scenes were good too.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

HobbitGamer

expletive, expletive expletive, EXPLETIVE!!

#MudStrongs

Anti-Matter

Tomorrow at morning, i have to attend a training to make Batik with "Gulijat" technique at other school with other teachers from different school (Geez... What the heck was Gulijat technique? That word didn't even exist on Google )

Anti-Matter

NEStalgia

@gcunit Unfortunately the post-internet society has been split into two camps: Those trained to parse every word and search for some slight against some group (often not their own) and to become activists to act on behalf of those who might be offended, without actually finding out if said group is actually offended (in the absence of profit/attention-motive); and the camp that has learned it's easy to offend everyone and create a poop storm by doing so, and all sense of ethics and decency has gone the way of the mullet.

It's like the lite financially neutral version of the litigious society, where you used to be able to have a flower bed, water feature, and fountain in a public place, and now they've all been roped off, filled in, and walled over because everyone might "accidentally" fall in, drown, break bones, and sue for a few hundred million in damages, despite that not having been a problem for the previous hundred years. On the internet it's the same process, but without the money and backhoes, but the same overall psych process.

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic