Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 32,921 to 32,940 of 34,244

Tyranexx

@BougieBeetle I need to plan a day trip to go back to Cahokia sometime. I haven't been there since a school trip in Jr. High and loved the history of the place. Monk's Mound in particular is pretty impressive. Not only because of the view now, but the view that may have once been.

Video Corner: How SM3DW Actually Started (language)
Currently playing: Dragon Quest IV (DS), SteamWorld Heist (Wii U)

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

bimmy-lee

@BougieBeetle - I haven’t heard of Cahokia, but I’ll put a pin in the map. Sounds interesting. I might drive to KC this fall, and it’s right on the way. I’ll let you know when I listen to your pod, I have a small backlog, but I have some projects to work on over the weekend, and should get caught up.

bimmy-lee

My Nintendo: RedNestor

Knuckles-Fajita

So my department manager bought me a drink for my break and we chilled in the office looking over sales and the such, discussing how things are going.

He also looked at everyone's booked holidays, asked when my next one is (This year so far (starting in April) I only took 5 days at E3) and then said I had basically 5 weeks to take.

Guess it shows I never take holidays

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Anti-Matter

Hi ! 😀
I have watched The Lion King 2019 movie just now.
Untitled
Well.... Actually.... I felt quite disappointed by the overall performances. 😕
There were some aspects that was missing on live action movie and i failed to capture the same moments as the Cartoon version.

Okay, Spoiler alert !
I was quite disappointed by overall performances.The graphics was great, so damn realistic but there were some things i didn't found from cartoon version.
1. I Just Can't Wait to be King was okay until almost end the song, Simba and Nala just run into river, nothing same as Cartoon version with some Animal Pyramid dances and choirs
2. Timon and Pumbaa was not as funny as the Cartoon version. One biggest crime from live action version was the missing of Jacuzzi Fart by Pumbaa
3. One of biggest mistake also, Can You Feel the Love Tonight. The romantic scene between Simba and Nala was great. The song was great too, great cover song. Can You Feel the Love Tonight ? No, because the whole song was happened during daytime, NOT midnight. It supposed to be midnight to match with the lyrics of "Tonight"
4. What the heck?! Timon spoke and sung like Lumiere (Beauty and the Beast 2017) to distract the Hyenas by "serving" Pumbaa as their "dinner"
5. Simba met Mufasa in the sky. But, I DIDN'T even saw any Lionish shape of dark cloud talking to Simba. I just saw a Normal dark cloud keep moving with Mufasa's voice from nowhere. And Simba react to faded away dark cloud was not as emotional as the cartoon version
6. Rafiki didn't do some quirky martial arts as many as the cartoon version. I didn't see "Bruce Lee" Rafiki
7. When Pumbaa got insulted by called him a Chubby, his anger reaction was less funny as the cartoon version. Oh, Pumbaa there didn't fart as many as the cartoon version. Pumbaa DIDN'T use his fart as his weapon to get rid the Hyenas. Instead, i farted frequently after watching the movie and during my way to go home
7. The singing scene was exactly same as the cartoon version but the singers DIDN'T sing in higher pitch as the cartoon version. Their singing was too safe to be heard. Circle of Life, Hakuna Matata was quite disappointing on live action version
8. The Elephant graveyard was still pretty scary but not as scary as the cartoon version. Lesser bones, not a dark place
9. The movie was rated General for my country as opposed rated PG on certain areas. I was thinking it wasn't quite appropriate enough to be rated G (General) as i found animal fights in live action version was more violent a little bit than the cartoon version
10. The biggest crime was there was NO Can You Feel the Love Tonight song during Credit Roll. It was credited during Credit Scroll but it wasn't sung during Credit Roll. The cartoon version have the Elton John version during Credit Roll

So, i'm thinking i will consider the Cartoon version (in DVD / BluRay) than the live action version by any chance.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Yeah, I wasn't really looking for a history lesson, but I know I was taking a shortcut. And of course there were a LOT more factors involved. But Hitler did get all of them bamboozled into following him and using their numbers, money and means for his own, personal agenda in the end, so any which way you put it, he ultimately WAS the catalyst of it all, to bring it all down to the end result we got, and his personal reasons were indeed the ones I mentioned. I read his book, so I know all about his skewed world view...

By the way: I actually really like @HobbitGamer's "soundbyte history" label. When I was wading through your text wall, I myself was actually thinking along the same lines, except I came up with snackbite, because in that way, it's more easily digestible for all the tender young souls that have to learn about it...

@BougieBeetle Haha, fair enough. So, feeling old, huh? Well, don't know what the attached number is, but my counter currently sits at 49, so if yours is lower, then you're really not that old. And it's all between the ears, of course. My 18 year old self probably never could have imagined that an old geezer like me would still be playing games, but here we are...

We do share mindfulness in posting, though. Except in my case, that more often than not results in text walls, because I want to make sure that there can be no misinterpretations, but this is the internet after all, so that still happens regardless.

But in this particular thread, we're all non-violent, so you should feel right at home. Just keep that in mind, whenever you read something and you think it might be meant in any kind of aggressive way. I think I can speak for all of us in that regard. Oh, and welcome to the NLife community. Don't ever be afraid to actually speak your mind (in a polite way, obviously, but you've already got that covered, far as I can see), and don't make us curious about stuff and then not follow up with the actual story about it...

Far as your need to reach some kind of conclusion goes: speaking in general here, I've already come to realize a LONG time ago, that when a positive outcome/compromise isn't reachable, then being able to agree to disagree is already a win in some cases, so for me, discussing something isn't necessarily about winning over the other person, even if I know that I'm right, because as we all know, sometimes it's pretty hard to get yourself out of the defensive mode you put yourself in, and it takes a big person to admit they were wrong.

Oh, and to complete the frame of reference: I'm in sales and marketing. IT-related, so that's something that sometimes explains my point of view on things.

@Heavyarms55 It was on the news here as well, yesterday. I saw the building in flames. Truly horrible, and I feel for the family and friends of all the victims. And the reason for it all was so meaningless, which makes it even more sad.

@Tyranexx Well, that isn't how it was gonna be, but now that you've put yourself in the spotlight by mentioning it, I might be motivated to tag you every once in a while, on days when I'm feeling particularly mischievous...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

ThanosReXXX

NOTE TO ALL:

Stay the heck away from Prime World Defenders on Switch. No, seriously. It's pretty damn addictive..

Especially if you like Tower Defense type games, mixed with a bit of Magic and strategy. I came across this free to play game a couple of days ago, and I can't stop playing it, because it really has this addiction factor that makes you want to keep improving your card deck and improving your level scores, so they've done a good job of keeping people hooked.

Well, unless it's not your type of game, obviously, but other than that, it's a nice game to have in the catalog, for a bit of variety, and for a quick match or two, in between travels, breaks and so on. Except in my case, I've spend hours on end, trying to improve all the cards in my deck, without actually spending any money through the game's built-in micro-transactions. That's probably why it has absorbed so many hours already: the people that DO pay for stuff in these games are more than likely already leagues ahead of me.

But I like a challenge, and I actually like a sense of having achieved something myself, instead of paying to win...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

HobbitGamer

@ThanosReXXX Ugh, now I have to try Prime World Defenders 😛 It already ended up on the maybe wishlist, so I was on the fence.

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

NintendoByNature

I'm tempted to buy fishing universe simulator but I heard it's pretty bad. Might not even be the dollar it's on sale for

NintendoByNature

Tyranexx

Slow Friday. The good news is I'm off in about half an hour, but I think I'll take a break from the interwebs this evening. I have a lot of stuff to get done...and have spent WAY too much time online in general lately. Maybe I'll relax with some Yoshi's Island....Well, as much as I can with a crying Baby Mario.

@ThanosReXXX I feel quite loved.

Video Corner: How SM3DW Actually Started (language)
Currently playing: Dragon Quest IV (DS), SteamWorld Heist (Wii U)

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX well, even his book wasnt necessarily an accurate portrayal of his own personal opinions and views. He was an unusually gifted student of the human psyche and observer of human behavior.....a key skill to the success he had with power. But there's also decent evidence he was not the sole author of that book. It may well have been a collaborative product, packaged for a specific goal. In all likelihood the book was a well engineered political influencing tool, designed for quick, mass distribution to tap into existing common thoughts with the public conciseness, and stir them to the fore, as seeds planted for later harvesting, setting up the electorate to have exactly the thinking that would be optimal for their ends, all disguised as a desperate venting by a downtrodden patriot "just like you". Making doubly sure to tell everyone exactly what they quietly already thought but wanted to hear confirmed. In that light, who knows what he personally really thought about anything..... Limited actual information survived the intentional erasure as the establishment fell back from stronghold to stronghold. I imagine a lot of the visible agendas of the time were political theatre to secure power and public support/fear.

NEStalgia

bimmy-lee

Yuck, probably the worst weather day of the year, and I’ve been spray priming and spray painting stuff all day in a room above the garage which is approximately 425 degrees. If I was a digiornio, I’d be done like the one you put in the oven a liiiitle too late at night, and then you fell asleep watching Netflix and woke up to the smell of blackened pizza.

@NintendoByNature - Why are most fishing games so bad when it seems so easy to get it right? One of life’s great mysteries. When the fishing minigame in OOT is maybe the third or fourth best example ever, it’s a problem. I like them more arcade than sim though.

bimmy-lee

ThanosReXXX

@HobbitGamer Let me know when you've tried it out. I'm currently wondering if I'm mainly liking it just because I'm basically a sucker for just about every even half-decent tower defense game, or if it's actually a more than decent game that's worth playing...

@Tyranexx You're welcome.

@NEStalgia Of course the book was propaganda. It was also a real chore to work my way through. I can't imagine how it inspired even the simplest of simpletons, but then again, I wasn't living in those times, feeling downtrodden and bereft by the rest of Europe, much less being semi-brainwashed by the N-party...

Although obviously, with my Landmark Institute NLP training, it's all but impossible to brainwash me, so I'd never fall for it in the first place.

But this "just like you" thing is pretty much a staple for most of these dictators. All of them living in absolute wealth and splendor, but every time they were among the people, they were "one of them", often clothed in simple (soldier's) garb, and with only a bare minimum of regalia/decorations. Just look at Stalin, Mao and so on. The communists were (and are) also very good at this kind of public display.

NintendoByNature

@bimmy-lee I know. I feel your pain. They've been bad since the nes days. Oceanhorns fishing is pretty good. OOT And MM3d are the best though. Stardew valley isnt bad

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

HobbitGamer

@bimmy-lee Labo Fishing from the variety kit is fun, if not overly simplistic.

@ThanosReXXX Will do. I may get to it this evening. I think I’m gonna do some yard work first shortly. I took the day off, and wound up taking 3 long naps, which isn’t my norm. Now I feel horribly unproductive at 6pm.

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX it was simple for it to work. Or was a bulleted list of everything everyone was feeling, and justifying every bias they had. "I knew it! It's just what I've said all along! This group and that group and the businesses! They've been putting against us for do long just like i knew! ". It didn't really really much effort to nudge people to verbally want what they quietly wanted anyway. It just took someone, or a committee, with the ability to read what the public was quietly smoldering in thought with. The rest was autopilot. Being at Rock bottom in a depression makes almost anything believable if the first step is rob people you don't like and give it to yourself.

But yeah "common man". Works as well today in democratic politics as it did then in authoritarian setups.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@HobbitGamer Thanks in advance for your efforts and your review.
By the way, I can top that triple nap disaster: I took the day off yesterday, to have an extra long weekend. Decided to stay up extra late the evening before, to play some games, and catch up on some recorded TV shows, and because of that, I decided to switch off the alarm clock, to allow myself to wake up naturally the next morning.

But somehow, some numbskull decided to call me out of bed at around 9am, getting me out of my way too short slumber, so obviously, I wasn't about to stay awake after the call ended 5 to 10 minutes later, so I went to bed again. But of course, still being half asleep, I forgot all about the disabled alarm clock, so I slept through all of the morning, and part of the afternoon, and finally woke up at around 13.15, not at all rested, and p-ed off as all hell, because of that stupid phone call messing up my day and my semi-planned agenda for my day off...

@NEStalgia Well, it's either that, or the demi-god rulers of the classic eras watching over us.
I guess that ultimately, there's never really been a good choice where politicians are concerned...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

bimmy-lee

@HobbitGamer - That’s good to know, I’m super excited to get the Labo kits. My daughter is ready for the build and play, but my son isn’t quite there. I’m trying to hold off another six months to a year so he can catch up and be in on all of it. I’ve been excited about this since the initial Labo reveal.

bimmy-lee

NintendoByNature

No lie, I just had the hiccups for a solid 10 minutes straight. When I was a kid I saw on tv some guy got hiccups like 10 years prior and it never went away. So every time i have them more than a couple minutes I legitimatly worry I'll have them forever

NintendoByNature

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic